CANADA Canada - Donna Stearne & Wendy Tedford, both 17, Toronto, 26 Apr 1973

Revolvers do not automatically eject spent shell casings, but they can be manually ejected from the cylinder - sometimes at the scene.

Revolvers usually fire different type cartridges than those used in automatic pistols.

Why would anyone voluntarily open the cylinder and leave three empty shell casings at the scene? Also the .380 ACP is a very popular round for usually smaller semi-automatic handguns, particularly those made by Colt for which it was designed for the Colt Model 1908.

They also never gave any information on the calibre of the shell casings found, just that shell casings were found. It was years later that the .38 Colt revolver was connected to the murders so that would have been from a ballistics test of the bullets recovered from the bodies and a striation comparison.

The type of fired bullets (that is the projectiles) recovered at the crime scene or in the bodies - and the rifling marks on them - would have told investigators what type of weapon was used. With enough forensic information, even the make and model might be determined

Spent brass shell casings can provide more information.

An automatic pistol usually fires a copper jacketed, round nosed bullet and ejects a rimless brass casing. A revolver usually fires lead bullet and the rimmed casing remains in the cylinder until manually ejected.

A revolver's cylinder has to be emptied of spent casings to be reloaded. The presence of spent revolver casings at or near a scene of a shooting is an indication that the shooter may have reloaded his weapon before departing, however the presence of revolver ammo casings alone does not necessarily identify the murder weapon - only that a revolver was likely present.

Last edited:
The type of fired bullets (that is the projectiles) recovered at the crime scene or in the bodies - and the rifling marks on them - would have told investigators what type of weapon was used. With enough forensic information, even the make and model might be determined

Spent brass shell casings can provide more information.

An automatic pistol usually fires a copper jacketed bullet and ejects a rimless brass casing. A revolver usually fires lead bullet and the rimmed casing remains in the cylinder until manually ejected.

A revolver's cylinder has to be emptied of spent casings to be reloaded. The presence of spent revolver casings at or near a scene of a shooting is an indication that the shooter may have reloaded his weapon before departing, however the presence of revolver ammo casings alone does not necessarily identify the murder weapon - only that a revolver was likely present.
Is it possible that the perp brought spent casings to scatter at the murder scene in order to thwart LE, having collecting the actual bullet casings which were used to kill the teens?
speculation, imo.

Certainly a possibility, but unlikely. It would require someone to revisit the scene. And would raise flags for investigators to look into.

I didn't realize that semen was found at the scene. In that case, I think sexual assault was the primary motive.

They now say "both girls were sexually assaulted." That was quite recent. I have no idea why this was never divulged it is not as though it an uncommon thing to happen to women. And the roll-out or lack of it when the information was presented is very very strange. I know the case a little and at first could not believe what I was reading I thought how could I have missed this? I doubt it is hold back info it could be I suppose. We need some input from LE in to how this changes their impression of the case!! And they should use this to get new media attention it is huge news!!

Snively thanks so much for that information that the sister thought they might have gone to the new apt. It was very common then to get access to your place early. I had wondered about that. It would be very exciting to get a new place. I am assuming then maybe even now there was access to the crime scene from that apt. by walking east and then crossing the train tracks north. If there was a fence at the south end of the crime scene lot I am sure people would have cut holes through it anyway for shortcuts. And if you take away the looking for marijuana angle then they are not going to Sit'n'Eat for that so why go there?

And did they really go there??? I still think we only have the one eyewitness. And as you point out we only know they may have planned to go to Yorkdale but there is no evidence they did.

Downtown to College Yonge (whereas Dotr has brilliantly pointed out there was a concert) then to Keele Lawrence ( I know now I am believing one eyewitness not the other) en route to the apt. (and don't forget stopping somewhere for burgers I believe?) then somehow to the lot. It is very unlikely they were assaulted where they were found.

Unless LE has evidence

The city of Toronto has online aerial photographs of the city from 1973. Clicking on map 193 or 158 yields an aerial map containing crime scene area, and map 159 shows Yorkdale Mall. The 1971 maps show that near where the bodies were found there was in 1971 what looks like a covered loading/unloading platform adjacent to a railway sidetrack. Anyway, thought perhaps the photographs might be useful to those wishing to get a better idea of the geography of the case.

Thanks Gruffin that is a really useful resource for this case and others

HUNTER: Double murder and Brinks guard slaying top April cold cases | Toronto Sun
Apr 05, 2022 rbbm.
''The April 27, 1973, double murder of Wendy Tedford and Donna Stearne, both 17-years-old, is one of the most vexxing cases on the cold case unit’s books.
Around 7:30 p.m., that night, the bodies of Tedford and Stearne were discovered in an empty industrial lot near Wilson Ave. and Keele St. The best friends had been shot to death and were dead at the scene.''

The two had earlier been seen at the nearby Sit n’ Eat restaurant the previous evening around 11 p.m. The murder weapon was eventually recovered from the Windsor area but so far there have been no arrests.

“The were inseparable friends that were murdered in the prime of their lives,” Smith said. “We have DNA and we believe suspects possibly have connections to outlaw motorcycle gangs out of Southwestern Ontario.”

HUNTER: Double murder and Brinks guard slaying top April cold cases | Toronto Sun

... “We have DNA and we believe suspects possibly have connections to outlaw motorcycle gangs out of Southwestern Ontario.”
Respectfully snipped, bolded and underlined by me.

Sounds like a case that @othram could contribute to quite nicely.

I wish Canada would seek out genetic geneaology to a greater extent than we have --- especially when it's readily admitted that DNA is available. I want to scream, "then what is the hold up!!??"

They know about this; that's how they got Christine Jessop's murderer ...

38%20calibre%20Colt%20revolver.JPG

This is the gun that police believe was used in the 1973 murders of Wendy Tedford and Donna Stearne. - Toronto Police Service photo
2021 rbbm.
By Andrew Palamarchuk
BEHIND THE CRIMES: Offenders' ancestry under investigation using DNA in 1973 double murder | TheSpec.com
''Investigators have eliminated a large number of persons of interest through DNA testing over the years.

“We’ve tested probably over 70 people in this case,” Smith said. “The two things that help you in cold cases are changes in science, so emerging science and technology, as well as changes in relationships, where we know that someone knows who did this and for that person to have a change in their life; maybe they moved away, maybe they don’t associate with these people anymore.”

The double murder is among 42 Toronto cold cases in which police have offender DNA.

“We have zero matches on the National DNA Data Bank for our 42 cases, and all we need in any of these is just a name,” Smith said. “We know someone in all of these cases knows who the offender was. It’s just a matter of: Will they come forward and let us know?”

''Harris is urging anyone with information to come forward.
“I really would like to see a resolution to this,” she said. “It’s been 48 years. If you know anything, what is there to be afraid of at this point?”
Smith stressed police “aren’t concerned” with who’s calling a tip in.
“We aren’t looking for witnesses. We’re just looking for a name, and we’ll do the investigation.”

People with information are asked to contact the homicide squad at homicide@torontopolice.on.ca or 416-808-7400; to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at 222tips.com or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).''

Dec 4 2022 rbbm
''It’s unclear which cases police have already flagged for genetic testing, but a search of the Toronto police’s cold case website turns up the murders of Lori Marilyn Pinkus, teens Donna Stearne and Wendy Tedford and Cassandra Do as examples of cases with potential.

Pinkus, 21, a sex worker at the time, was found outside of a school near Bloor and Dufferin streets in 1991. Hers is the case former Det.-Sgt. Stacy Gallant told the public was just a name away from being solved after a male DNA profile from the scene was developed.

Stearne and Tedford, both 17, were found together, shot dead in an industrial area near Wilson Avenue and Keele Street in 1973 after they were believed to have gone to a local diner nearby. Last year, police were preparing to do genealogy testing on DNA samples from the scene believed to be possible male offenders.''

April 23 2023 rbbm Lengthy article.
1682337743349.png
Janine Stearne holds up a photo of her oldest sister Donna Lee Stearne at her home in Waterloo, Ont. on April 27, 2016. Stearne's oldest sister, Donna Lee Stearne, was murdered in 1973 in Toronto and the case is still unsolved. PHOTO BY THE CANADIAN PRESS/HANNAH YOON /Toronto Sun

''As night descended on Toronto on April 26, 1973, light rain continued to fall as it had since the morning — and it was foggy.

Irene Ryan, better known to TV watchers as Granny Clampett, died that day. Vietnam was in the rearview mirror, the energy crisis and Watergate over the horizon.

It was a kid taking a shortcut who found the bodies in an empty industrial lot off Wilson Ave., just east of Keele St. Wendy Tedford and best friend Donna Stearne, both 17, had been shot to death, gangland-style in the lonely, suburban field.

It has now been 50 years since the two popular and “normal” teens were murdered. The case remains unsolved.''
“It’s been really strange this year,” Donna’s sister Janine told the Toronto Sun. “In the last month or so, my feelings have been really, really strong. I’m hoping they’re getting closer, they solved Christine Jessop and Erin Gilmour. I was really hoping for those families.”

Saccharine teen idol Donny Osmond was kicking off a six-week run atop the 1050 CHUM singles chart with The Twelfth of Never, Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon was the top album while sci-fi smash Soylent Green was tops on the big screen.''

“Back in the 1970s and 1980s, it was a dangerous time for young women. There was a lot of this going on,” Smith said. “We know there are people who know who did this.

“It’s been a long time; even if the killer or killers are dead, we still want their names. For Wendy, Donna, their families and ourselves.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Toronto Police homicide unit at 416-806-7400 or Crime Stoppers at 416−222−TIPS (8477).''
1682338103354.png
The .38-calibre Colt revolver used to kill Tedford and Stearne. TORONTO POLICE
1682338200272.png
Donna Stearne and Wendy Tedford. Their 1973 double murder remains unsolved. TORONTO SUN FILES

Noting this Illinois cold case because some elements remind me of the murders of Donna and Wendy.
Fwiw, speculation.
Probably nothing, but just in case..
1693945142772.png

''The bodies of two 17-year-old girls were discovered in St. Paul Woods in Morton Grove on Sept. 5, 1979. They were last seen headed to a shopping center at Dempster Street and Waukegan Road. (via Morton Grove Police Department)''

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back