GUILTY Canada - Family of 5 targeted in hate-motivated, deadly hit & run, London, Ont., 6 June 2021 *Arrest*

Although the doctor testified Veltman suffered from psychotic episodes, he does not believe Veltman was in a psychotic state at the time of the offences.

Gojer said these issues are all relevant to explain, "How did this person get to this point, where he killed four people and nearly killed a fifth person?" and "Did it happen in vacuum? Where did the views come from?"
And this is from a psychiatrist for the defense.
It seems that the doctor is blaming many of NV's various mental health issues on his mother.
The doctor told the jury he believes Veltman developed a “trauma kind of response” to his upbringing in a strict, home-schooled household and explained, "being picked on, unable to understand why restrictions were placed on him and he had to cope with the attitude and views that his mother had."
:oops:

fyi, we have many Dutch heritage farmers who arrived here in SW Ontario who have very, very strong religious beliefs. Many send their children either to Dutch Christian schools or homeschool their children, rather than send them to public schools (which is the massive norm in Canada). I'm sure it's a shock for some of these children to arrive as young adults in a city where people don't have the same extreme views. Of course I don't think this is an excuse for the horrendous behaviour of NV and his violent act against a lovely, innocent family simply out for a walk! And, of course, I don't blame the majority of those of Dutch heritage who generally lead a kind and lovely life.

' November 15, 2023 5:20AM EST
The Crown is set to continue its closing arguments today at the trial of a man accused of killing four members of a Muslim family in London, Ont.
In addressing jurors in a Windsor, Ont., courtroom Tuesday, the Crown argued 22-year-old Nathaniel Veltman carried out a terrorist act on June 6, 2021.
The defence has argued Veltman is not guilty of first-degree murder, nor did he commit an act of terrorism, because he didn't have criminal intent to kill the victims and didn't deliberately plan the attack. '

Nov 15, 2023
'A jury is deliberating the fate of Nathaniel Veltman, accused of terrorism-motivated first-degree murder and attempted murder in the 2021 truck attack on five members of the Afzaal family in London, Ont. CBC’s Thomas Daigle breaks down the key evidence against Veltman and some of what the jury didn’t hear in the case. '

This trial certainly has dragged on. It began September 11. The jury began deliberations yesterday and is to continue them today.

Nov 18 2023
''He spotted them because they were all wearing traditional Pakistani clothing.

The driver was Nathaniel Veltman, age 22. He’s pale and unremarkable-looking, with a moonish face and a haircut that looks a bit military, but isn’t.

Veltman isn’t human, actually. Like the Hamas terrorists who killed 1,400 Israeli men, woman and children on Oct. 7, Veltman killed the Afzaal family because he hated The Other. Not because he knew them or had ever met them. Just because they had a different religion than him. Just because they somehow represented a threat to him''

''Like the Hamas terrorists, Veltman forfeited his humanity that day. He ceased to be human and became an actual monster – an un-human.

He was into Hitler, of course, like the Hamas guys are. He was into conspiracy theories and online evil, like them.''

''This week, as members of the London Muslim community silently looked on as a jury found Nathaniel Veltman guilty of four counts of first-degree murder. He didn’t show any emotion, of course, because sociopathic monsters usually don’t. He’s going to be in prison for the rest of his useless, pointless, godless life.''

Veltman was found guilty of four counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder. The judge will make a determination if this was terrorism or not at the time of his sentencing "weeks from now".
Veltman faces a mandatory life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years. But a terrorism finding would be deemed an aggravating factor and could affect the length of the attempted murder sentence – likely to be served at the same time as the life sentence – and affect Veltman’s correctional record going forward when he becomes eligible to apply for parole.

This has been a long an painful trial for the family, friends and community. I'm happy for them that at least this step is over.
When the verdicts were read out in court, mass murderer Nathaniel Veltman didn’t look at the jury and gazed, impassively, straight ahead.
But behind him in the public gallery packed with family and friends of the Afzaal family, there were gasps and sobs of relief.

Jan. 5, 2024 rbbm
''The judge thanked all the people who wrote statements and those who read them into the record in the courtroom.
“I am deeply moved by the eloquent, poignant and powerful words that have filled this room over the last two days,” she said.''

''Pomerance will reconvene the matter on Jan. 23, 2024 for legal arguments about the allegation of Veltman’s actions being terrorist activity. It is an assertion the defence disputes.

Veltman will be given a chance to speak to the court before the judge retires to consider her sentence.

He is facing a mandatory sentence of life in prison and he cannot apply for parole until 2046 at the earliest.

If his actions are deemed to be terrorist activity, defence lawyers said it will become a big part of any parole applications. ''

Jan. 5, 2024 rbbm
''The judge thanked all the people who wrote statements and those who read them into the record in the courtroom.
“I am deeply moved by the eloquent, poignant and powerful words that have filled this room over the last two days,” she said.''

''Pomerance will reconvene the matter on Jan. 23, 2024 for legal arguments about the allegation of Veltman’s actions being terrorist activity. It is an assertion the defence disputes.

Veltman will be given a chance to speak to the court before the judge retires to consider her sentence.

He is facing a mandatory sentence of life in prison and he cannot apply for parole until 2046 at the earliest.

If his actions are deemed to be terrorist activity, defence lawyers said it will become a big part of any parole applications. ''
The surviving son's impact statement is heartbreaking. This part in particular:

One message I have to all the young kids that think about how your mom makes you do your homework instead of playing video games. Before, (well to be honest even now,) as much as I would have loved to play video games or watch marvel all day instead of doing my homework that my parents told me to do, I realize now that they are only telling me this stuff to help you. However, once they leave you, you start to really notice how much they cared about you. And also, you may think that your siblings are really annoying, and to be honest I thought the same about Yumnah, but when they leave you would love to fight with them one last time.

TERRORIST! rbbm.
''LONDON, ONT.—The mass murder of three generations of a Muslim family in a 2021 truck attack was an act of terrorism, an Ontario judge has ruled, as she began delivering her sentencing decision to a packed courtroom in the city forever changed by the Islamophobic killings.
Ontario Superior Court Justice Renee Pomerance announced she found the murders constituted terrorism under Canadian law at the outset of delivering her sentencing ruling Thursday morning, explaining why she would not be naming the London man who committed the killings throughout her reasons.
“I have chosen not to name the offender in this,” Pomerance said, noting the killer had wanted his attack to “be as public a spectacle as possible.”
She said her decision not to name the killer may be a “largely symbolic” gesture, “but symbolism is important.”

TERRORIST! rbbm.
''LONDON, ONT.—The mass murder of three generations of a Muslim family in a 2021 truck attack was an act of terrorism, an Ontario judge has ruled, as she began delivering her sentencing decision to a packed courtroom in the city forever changed by the Islamophobic killings.
Ontario Superior Court Justice Renee Pomerance announced she found the murders constituted terrorism under Canadian law at the outset of delivering her sentencing ruling Thursday morning, explaining why she would not be naming the London man who committed the killings throughout her reasons.
“I have chosen not to name the offender in this,” Pomerance said, noting the killer had wanted his attack to “be as public a spectacle as possible.”
She said her decision not to name the killer may be a “largely symbolic” gesture, “but symbolism is important.”
Bravo! I love that she refused to use his name.

Judge rules killer of London, Ont., Muslim family committed terrorism, calling it a 'textbook example'

[...]

"I have chosen not to name the offender nor recite the hateful hateful statements that he shared with police or in his manifesto. This is because his actions constitute terrorist activity," Superior Court Justice Renee Pomerance told a packed courtroom.

"One might go so far as to characterize this as a textbook example of terrorist motive and intent...By not referring to the offender by name, and not restating his views, I am trying to reduce the potential use of these proceedings as a platform for the ideology that spawned the violent acts of June 6, 2021."

"The tentacles of hate can reach a broad audience when they are merely a click away." - Justice Renee Pomerance

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back