Canada - Four killed, 7 injured in shootings, La Loche, Sask, 22 Jan 2016

The article has been updated. It appears now that the CS has applied to have him sentenced as an adult if he is found guilty. There's an editor's note at the very end of the article.

:sigh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not even sure what that means. I wonder if it means that during the trial because he would still be considered a juvenile that the pub ban will continue?

I am not even sure what that means. I wonder if it means that during the trial because he would still be considered a juvenile that the pub ban will continue?

It makes sense that they would do that, because If for some reason he is found not guilty they would want his identity as a minor protected. In the event he is found guilty the publication ban would be lifted and his identity revealed if he were then to be sentenced as an adult.

It sounds like a small step in the right direction. The public has a right to know what’s going on.

I agree. The vice principal should be able to tell her story after the trial.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Crime/2017/05/19/22725575.html
May 19 2017
[h=2]La Loche shooter asked about gift for anniversary of school attack[/h]
MEADOW LAKE, Sask. — The teenager who killed four people and injured seven others in La Loche, Sask., last year asked staff at Kilburn Hall Youth Centre if they were buying him a gift for the one-year anniversary of his shooting spree.

The information was written in the shooter’s pre-sentence report, parts of which were read Friday in Meadow Lake provincial court on the fourth day of the teen’s sentencing hearing.

Tanis Fidler, the corrections worker who wrote the report, said she did not talk to the shooter about the request and did not know if it was a joke or if he was proud of his actions.
The teen has been in custody at Kilburn Hall since the shooting. According to the pre-sentence report, staff there have noticed he glorifies serious crimes and, when he hears of mass shootings or ISIS bombing “he often talks about the issue with a smile on his face.”

Sections of the pre-sentence report read in court paint a picture of a young man who struggled in school and didn’t have a lot going for him. He had no father figure in his life and lived in a two-bedroom house with his mother, sister and three foster children.

Closing arguments in the case of a teen who killed four and injured seven others in last year’s La Loche shooting was set to begin Friday morning in Meadow Lake, but has been delayed.
Defence lawyer Aaron Fox filed a Gladue report, which looks at circumstances of Indigenous offenders when determining a sentence. In the report a psychiatrist and psychologist confirm the teen has fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.
Justice Janet McIvor granted Crown prosecutor Lloyd Stang's request to cross-examine the two defence mental health experts, but said the case must keep moving.
http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/mobile/closing-arguments-in-la-loche-shooter-hearing-delayed-1.3561409

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back