CANADA Canada - Human Foot in size 9½ Nike Free RN running shoe, black swoosh logo, W. Vancouver, Sep 2018

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by cybervampira, Feb 11, 2019.

1. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

B.C. Coroners Service looking for info in case of foot washed ashore in West Vancouver | CBC News

The B.C. Coroners Service is looking to the public for help identifying another foot that washed ashore in West Vancouver last September.

7754323C-4336-4048-820E-E9F4EA53F8FC.jpeg B1A51D5E-A7F1-4DC4-A275-D25F2C0C69EA.jpeg

The left foot was found inside a blue sock and light grey Nike Free RN running shoe with a black swoosh logo. It's a men's size 9½ shoe with Ortholite inserts, according to Watson.

Watson said the the shoe was believed to have been manufactured between Feb. 1 and April 17, 2017, and appeared to be in relatively new condition. He believes the victim would have acquired the shoe sometime in the spring or summer of 2017.

Investigators believe the foot belonged to someone under the age of 50, but DNA analysis hasn't been able to create a match with any missing persons files.

Since 2007, 10 of the 15 missing feet cases have been solved — all tied to missing person investigations, but this case, and four others, remain a mystery.

upload_2019-2-12_1-37-27.jpeg

He said the location the foot was found — the beach near 30th Street in West Vancouver — may not have much to do with the location a person went missing, due to the active tide systems in the region.

2. otto

otto Verified Expert

So many feet found in the area!
    They seem to either be plane / boat accidents, or suicides.

3. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Do other cities find that many feet in running shoes?

4. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Again? This seems so unusual.

Not sure I understand this statement from the ME in the linked article:

It seems 10 feet found that belonged to missing persons sounds somewhat suspicious. :eek:

5. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Rbbm. It would be helpful if shoe sizes were included in mp. reports.
    The human feet that routinely wash ashore in the Pacific Northwest, explained
    "But why do body parts so often end up on the shores of the Salish Sea and not around other coastal regions, like the San Francisco Bay Area? Parker MacCready, an oceanography professor at the University of Washington, said the story is simple. “Things that float at the ocean surface move with the currents, but also are pushed a bit by the wind, and this can be significant in getting them to shore,” he wrote in an email. “The prevailing winds here [around the Salish Sea] are west to east, and so floating stuff in this part of the Pacific gets blown to the coast effectively.”

That said, severed feet also occasionally wash up around other waterways. In November, a lone foot wearing a sneaker was found in a dumpster next to a boat ramp on the Willamette River near Portland, Oregon. In 2017, a foot wearing an athletic shoe was found on a dock in Charleston, South Carolina, and hikers found a foot inside a tennis shoe on the banks of the Mississippi River near St. Louis, Missouri.

We’ve seen this happen occasionally in other parts of the world too: Body parts including a foot washed up in Rio de Janeiro, near the beach volleyball courts before the 2016 Olympics. Body parts of tourists also washed up on a beach in Fiji in 2016."
    "Taylor said she is advocating for shoe size to be included in standard missing person reports, a detail that could help identify the next foot that turns up."

Trudie, Laughing, GarAndTeed and 5 others like this.
  6. Ark

Ark New Member

An explanation to why so many feet have washed up in the area:

The tides and currents are very strong within the area. If a body goes in to the water wearing running shoes and socks and jeans or some sorts of other pants. The running shoe and sock is tightly bound to the foot and the ankle, where as the jeans tend to give a bit of space. There will be a gap where water can penetrate just above the sock on the ankle. If you think about it, over time, the strong currents will "hack away" (for lack of a better term) at that area. Much like abrasion. Due to running shoes these days being far more buoyant and light compared to running shoes of the past, they detach from the rest of the body after said abrasion caused by the currents and float to the surface, and eventually to shore. The rest of the body will either likely sink or end up somewhere else if close to shore.

You never seen any smart black work shoes wash up now do you? Its all about the buoyancy of the shoe, and then the abrasion at the ankle. How some people think someones cutting off feet and chucking them in the water is beyond me. But who knows, stranger things have happened. Most likely answer though is the one given above.

Trudie, Laughing, GarAndTeed and 3 others like this.
  7. inmyhumbleopinion

inmyhumbleopinion #NeverGivingUp

Cross-posting from the "Wa - Jean-marc Faubert, 28, Burlington, 25 May 2018" thread:

8. inmyhumbleopinion

Also cross-posting from Jean-marc's thread:

9. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

10. inmyhumbleopinion

Once again, cross-posting from Jean-marc's thread:

11. Nannbob

Nannbob Member

Have there been any updates?

dotr and inmyhumbleopinion like this.
  12. inmyhumbleopinion

Thank you so much for bumping the the thread, Nannbob!

Mr. Charlton with the B.C. Coroners Service sent me an email about three weeks ago. I opened it, meant to post about it and completely forgot :oops:.

Here is what the email said:
    “Good morning [me :D],

Once again, thank you for reaching out a few weeks ago in regards to the unidentified foot. Just to let you know, the investigation is still ongoing.” (BBM)

This was March 7th. I just did a quick search to see if there has been an update, and I didn’t see anything.

Also from the email:
    “In the meantime, I was wondering if you could do me a favour.

I have been working on an interactive map of our active Unidentified Human Remains cases across British Columbia, Canada, in an aim to try and generate new investigative leads from the public, especially regarding some of our older cases. The application shows approximate locations of where remains were found and information on that case.

It was released publicly a couple of weeks ago, and likely still has some teething problems, but it would be great to get some involvement and feedback on it.

If you could possibly circulate it around the websleuthing community, it would be hugely appreciated, as we believe this application could be vital in generating new leads to these cold cases.

Link to the application is here: ArcGIS Web Application

Thanks in advance,

Ian Charlton
    Spatial Information Analyst
    Special Investigations Unit”

Incidentally, I found a CTV article from just two days ago that talks about the map:

“[SBM]

Andy Watson with the BC Coroners Service said the project was motivated by one of their five core questions: who died?

‘This is an important question for us to answer; when we have unidentified human remains, we know there is a family out there still searching for answers,” Watson told CTV News. “And so it’s important for our agency to provide the service to those looking for closure and we do whatever we can to achieve that goal.’

The new map will give viewers a visual overview of the approximate location where human remains are found, along with case numbers and a summary of any key information acquired in investigations.

Watson said the human remains map took about a year-and-a-half for the service’s spatial information analyst Ian Charlton to develop.

[SBM]”
    Nearly 200 cases of unidentified human remains mapped in B.C.

I will start a thread where we can talk about the map and the cases shown on the map sometime later today.

071CB1D7-1FD2-40F8-A845-9DE94C4AACC8.jpeg 78D4F286-4E08-42C4-860F-6CEB8850976A.jpeg

Laughing, dotr and cybervampira like this.
  13. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

14. inmyhumbleopinion

15. Laughing

Laughing Rarely Speechless