GUILTY Canada - Jasmine Lovett, mid 20s, and daughter, 2, Calgary, 16 April 2019 *Arrest*

I agree that social fundraising is probably not a good idea. People donate because they are emotionally impacted by an event, but there is little accounting for what is done with the money. It feels ethically unusual to give money to someone who has suffered a tragedy, as the money makes no difference to recovery.

Google Maps provides an excellent view of Highway 40 from the summit of Mount Lawson. Scramblers and climbers who blog about it suggest following the highway to the Fortress Junction gas station, then taking the old ski hill access road, and parking at the side of the road. People not familiar with the route mention that they have sometimes gotten off track. They suggest using the visual cues of the cairns to stay on course.

Since this is a very visual route, and the highway is in clear view from the summit, and people sometimes wander off path into the bush, I think it was fortuitous happenstance that this area was the final resting place for Jasmine and Aliyah. People are out there climbing and scrambling in the early morning hours to avoid avalanches later in the day, and you wouldn't even know they are there.

Someone may well have seen the headlights of a car that stayed on for a prolonged period, or someone went off track by mistake after it happened.

Very bad luck or poor planning by the killer.

Just found another article that also gives a bit more info about the animal cruelty charges, that I personally have not seen before. Looks like the dog was found before it died. It must have been tattooed or microchipped or something.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/candlelight-vigil-jasmine-lovett-1.5133299

Last year, Leeming pleaded guilty to animal cruelty charges after he left his dog chained to a tree to die, telling his ex-wife he had given the animal away to a friend. Four days later, a peace officer found the dog in distress.

There is more news about the avalanche that hit the group of eight people walking at the base of Mount Lawson on the weekend. A teenage boy walked to a gas station for help. The Fortress Junction Centex is the only gas station nearby.

People are definitely in and around Fortress year-round on foot, in the early morning before dawn, and in the daylight hours.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/mount-lawson-avalanche-recovery-victims-update-1.5134043

For those who don't know, the Fortress ski area has been used as a Hollywood movie set, including for "The Revenant" with Leonardo DiCaprio. There was one old movie set left in place, but it burned down and was removed. Brokeback Mountain was filmed in and around Bragg Creek.

REEL ADVENTURES IN ALBERTA | Alberta Canada

Fortress Resort in Alberta Slowly Catching Its Breath

Last edited:
Just found another article that also gives a bit more info about the animal cruelty charges, that I personally have not seen before. Looks like the dog was found before it died. It must have been tattooed or microchipped or something.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/candlelight-vigil-jasmine-lovett-1.5133299

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. It seems to me that the Lovett family was not involved in the vigil. They have been speaking only through statements shared by the police and a family friend.

The Sanderson family has been talking to the media directly and spoke at the vigil.

I don't get a feeling that the two families have any unity. Perhaps this is just my perception, but it could be due to the circumstances between Jasmine Lovett and Robbie Sanderson. The fundraising was also a source of contention.

I hope the support RL’s family is giving includes encouraging him to plead guilty to whatever charges the prosecution decides are appropriate, to save the families from sitting through a trial.

From your link:

“Burgis Der said Leeming is currently being held in 23-hour a day lockup at the Calgary Remand Centre.

“He’s learning the ins-and-outs of how one maneuvers within the remand centre in segregation,” Burgis Der said. “Given the nature of his [alleged] crimes, he’s kept away from other people and giving very limited privileges.”

Burgis Der also said Lemming is receiving ongoing support from his family as he deals with the court process....”

I hope the support RL’s family is giving includes encouraging him to plead guilty to whatever charges the prosecution decides are appropriate, to save the families from sitting through a trial.

From your link:

“Burgis Der said Leeming is currently being held in 23-hour a day lockup at the Calgary Remand Centre.

“He’s learning the ins-and-outs of how one maneuvers within the remand centre in segregation,” Burgis Der said. “Given the nature of his [alleged] crimes, he’s kept away from other people and giving very limited privileges.”

Burgis Der also said Lemming is receiving ongoing support from his family as he deals with the court process....”

It's sad really as often you will see families that will believe their kid regardless of the evidence against them. It's a built in intuition that you can't judge from a distance really. It would be hard to see your child, raise him, feed him, love him, then be forced to watch him go through the prison system and courts. Might be less painful to be in denial and claim innocence, but who knows. Leeming seems like he's ashamed and won't talk to to them though as they had been trying for weeks to get ahold of him while the investigation was underway but couldn't connect. Very tough on his parents as well I'm sure.

Family of Calgary double homicide victims donate $25,000 to women’s shelter
The family of Calgary double homicide victims Jasmine Lovett and her daughter Aliyah Sanderson honoured their loved ones on Friday, making a $25,000 donation to the Emergency Women’s Shelter.

Kim Lovett, Jasmine’s mother and Aliyah’s grandmother said that the family was thankful for the generosity and support of Calgarians.

“I can’t say thank you enough,” she said. “We are completely overwhelmed.”......

......As details of the nature of Leeming’s relationship with Jasmine unfolded, police revealed it’s believed a domestic matter played a part in her death.

Kim said it was a shock to their family and continues to be something they’re struggling to understand.

“That’s the biggest hurdle we’re facing right now is accepting that it might not have been the best relationship and we had no idea,” Kim said.

That’s the reason the Lovett family felt it was important to support the women’s shelter....”

It will be a long time before we will learn in court what happened. We will never know one side of this story. I wonder what the police record for the address in question contains, and if any of that pertains to Jasmine and Aliyah. Learn we must, if there is anything that could be done to act on warning signs in these situations before things progress to this kind of tragedy.

The Lovetts are far from alone in mourning their loss.

"Sixty-two per cent of domestic homicides, between spouses specifically, that occurred between 2007 and 2017 were preceded by a history of family violence. The primary motive in these cases was often an argument (50 per cent), frustration, anger or despair (24 per cent) and jealousy (17 per cent).

"Of the 933 intimate partner homicides in a 10-year span ending in 2017, 79 per cent involved female victims. Of those killed, 75 per cent were by a current or former legally married or common-law husband and the remainder by boyfriends, according to the report."

From: 'They gave me a life': Inside the Calgary Women's Emergency Shelter

Court proceedings resume on Tuesday, June 11 in this case. Robert Leeming is being held in Medicine Hat.

Lawyer for suspect in Calgary double murder eager to have case move forward | The Star

His lawyer says he is a UK resident, but earlier news reports based on Leeming's own statements claimed he is a UK citizen with permanent residency in Canada.

Robert Leeming, charged in Calgary double homicide, would face deportation if convicted

"In an interview on April 26, the same day he was released following his first arrest and a day of questioning in police custody, Leeming told Global News he was from England and has permanent resident status in Canada.

"If true, that means Leeming would face deportation if he was convicted, according to Calgary immigration lawyer Michael Greene who is not involved in the case."

Mind you, they qualified that with "if true". Of course.

Last edited:
Murder cases to dominate the Calgary court docket in the new year

“....Calgarian Robert Leeming, is set to face a preliminary inquiry early in the new year as well.

Leeming will have a three-week preliminary inquiry in February in connection with the killings of a Calgary woman and her 22-month-old daughter.

He is charged with second-degree murder in the deaths of Jasmine Lovett, 25, and her daughter Aliyah Sanderson, who were last seen on April 16.

Their bodies were found May 6 in a heavily wooded area at Grizzly Creek in Kananaskis Country and Leeming was arrested the same day.

Police said the accused had been romantically involved with Lovett, who, with her daughter, had been living at the accused’s Cranston townhouse...”

Good to see, the charge for JLs murder is to be upped to 1st degree from 2nd degree, although the charge for murder of her young child will remain at 2nd degree. As is typical, a publication ban is in place for this upcoming preliminary hearing

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/crown-to-pursue-first-degree-murder-charge-in-death-of-calgary-mom

“(Crown lawyer) Taylor said that at the conclusion of Leeming’s scheduled two-week preliminary inquiry next week he will ask that the accused be ordered to stand trial for first-degree murder in Lovett’s killing.

A charge of first-degree murder in this case would have to involve a planned and deliberate intentional killing, or one committed in the course of a list of other offences including unlawful confinement, or criminal harassment....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back