CANADA Canada - Jennifer Catcheway, 18, Winnipeg, MB, 19 June 2008

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/parents-...-start-new-search-for-missing-woman-1.2881210

The parents of Jennifer Catcheway have started a new search for their missing daughter in a remote area north of Dauphin.

Wilfred and Bernice Catcheway say a tip led them to search an area near Pine River.

“This information that came in is a huge part of the puzzle, and I feel that this is more information than we've got in the eight years that Jennifer's been missing,” Bernice said.

Wow, Jennifer was exactly 3 years older than me, to the day.

It is really upsetting how little Canada seems to care about the hundreds of missing aboriginal women. They're hardly even mentioned in National news, maybe a 3 second mention, once, and maybe their disappearance is mentioned outside the province. The fact that there are so many missing aboriginal women being ignored because of their heritage makes me so embarrassed to be Canadian. We call ourselves a multicultural country, and blatantly and openly disregard our entire First Nations missing women.

I really hope her family gets peace. I hope Jennifer is found.

Sad there is no new news. Just want to say, titling this 'Winnipeg' bugs me. It is Portage Le Prairie (over 1 hr drive from Winnipeg) and the last known location was Grand Rapids, Manitoba (5 hrs from Winnipeg). No where in any article is Winnipeg referenced except to say a landfill site was dug and even that was grossly incorrect to say East Winnipeg. In my opinion, that is a big difference having lived in Winnipeg for several years myself at one time.

I see on the list another case gets the label Stoney Creek (small suburb town of Hamilton). Geesh, why not call it Hamilton?

I have nothing of value to add but feel so bad for these First Nations girls who meet with nefarious activity, and I think we owe it to her parents to at least get their location right. Referring to it Dakota Tipi First Nation, is even more accurate.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/jennifer-catcheway-search-duck-bay-1.3809098
[h=1]New information in Jennifer Catcheway case has family searching Duck Bay[/h]
By Jill Coubrough, CBC News Posted: Oct 18, 2016

Catcheway is keeping the details of the information that has led them to Duck Bay private to protect the integrity of the case. However, he does confirm a relative of Jennifer's, who was arrested and released without charges in the weeks following her disappearance, is from Duck Bay. The 45-year-old man was killed in 2015.

CBC News joined Catcheway and a small group, including Kyle Kematch with Drag the Red, for the latest search in the area.
The group set out down a reedy river channel using the Pine Creek chief's aluminum fishing boat, underwater cameras attached to long plastic poles and hooks to drag the river bottom
[h=2]'I feel very close'[/h]
Back in Portage La Prairie, Jennifer's mother Bernice is feeling positive about the search in Duck Bay and the new information.
"I feel closer this time," she said. "The circumstances and the situation has changed over the last year and it's a different area and different people coming forward, so we're hopeful."
bernice.jpg
Jennifer's mother Bernice said she's feeling hopeful about the search in Duck Bay. (CBC News)

She said it's not one new tip that's led them to Duck Bay but rather all of the pieces of information that have been provided over the years.

"Every little bit of information is just another piece of the puzzle," she said. "And soon enough, we're getting a picture of, possibly, where Jennifer is."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...k-bay-search-for-jennifer-catcheway-1.3820483

Catcheway, her husband and members of Search and Rescue Manitoba will be conducting a ground search in two areas in Duck Bay. They will also continue to drag the bottom of a river near the community with hooks and video cameras to search for evidence...

"I'm looking for volunteers to come out to help us search today and the rest of the week," she said. "We have our bright orange jackets.… They can recognize us by that"...

"My husband called them to no response, but you know, we've just got to go on. We can't wait," she said. "The snow is not going to wait. When it does come, it's coming, so we can't wait either."

It's a day Wilfred Catcheway has been waiting months for.

He has finally convinced RCMP to dive a remote river channel in Duck Bay, Man., where he believes they may find the remains of his missing daughter, Jennifer Catcheway.

"I know the answer is here," Wilfred Catcheway told CBC News on Monday. "I was relieved that they're taking part in the search here. This is one area that I have been awake day and night [searching]."

On Monday afternoon, RCMP underwater recovery teams from Winnipeg and Saskatchewan descended on the remote community to search for evidence.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3842544?client=safari

Lighting a candle for Jennifer today.

Sending prayers of love and comfort to her family.

Not quite sure where to put this very detailed, lengthy and actually beautifully done article.
http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/stolen-sisters/
Stolen sisters

5 untold stories of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls from a Manitoba First Nation with Canada's most unsolved cases

By Jill Coubrough and Martha Troian
[h=3]There's a quietness to Sagkeeng First Nation.[/h]
Waves lap on the shore of the Winnipeg River, which flows through the centre of the community.
Red dresses tied to trees sway in the wind outside a handful of homes — hollow reminders of the women and girls taken from their families, communities and kitchen tables.
For a long time, many families have kept their grief private.

wpg_web_sagkeeng_sisters_still-mr.jpg

Dozens of First Nations families who all had a familiar story when a loved one disappeared, often never to be found. Bernice and Wilfred Catcheway, whose daughter Jennifer vanished nine years ago, are among one of those families. They claim police told them the 18-year-old was probably out drinking, something which investigators refute. “We’ve always believed that somebody knows something, we’ve always said that,” Ms Catcheway told Dateline. “Women, girls, they don’t just go missing. Somebody stole them from us.” The family maintain screams were heard the day she went missing. They also claim police didn’t act early enough to find their daughter, and being Aboriginal “assumed she was out drinking”.

3410db4e1bb7db58192423e5a9a6c5c1

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...t/news-story/68c58dc49ca5c9c2b1d88865e215ac76

The RCMP seeks your help in solving cases of missing and murdered Indigenous women | Royal Canadian Mounted Police
"The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) is looking for your help in solving outstanding cases of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

Every year, for a period of 10 weeks, we highlight specific cases on social media. The start of the campaign in October was chosen to coincide with the Sisters in Spirit Vigil held by the Native Women's Association of Canada each October 4th.

How the public can help
This initiative is an opportunity for communities across the country to be involved by sharing information that may generate tips for investigating officers. With the public's help we hope to bring these missing women and girls home, and seek justice and closure for families in unsolved homicide cases.

2019 campaign cases

The RCMP seeks your help in solving cases of missing and murdered Indigenous women | Royal Canadian Mounted Police
"The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) is looking for your help in solving outstanding cases of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

Every year, for a period of 10 weeks, we highlight specific cases on social media. The start of the campaign in October was chosen to coincide with the Sisters in Spirit Vigil held by the Native Women's Association of Canada each October 4th.

How the public can help
This initiative is an opportunity for communities across the country to be involved by sharing information that may generate tips for investigating officers. With the public's help we hope to bring these missing women and girls home, and seek justice and closure for families in unsolved homicide cases.

2019 campaign cases

Do you plan to start threads for the others? I don't know how that's done.
Most missing or bodies found are in such remote locations, I'm not sure what kind of sleuthing we can do, but perhaps see commonalities that prick our mind. At least pay respects.

'She would have been 30': Jennifer Catcheway's family prepares for another summer of searching
  • Posted: Jun 19, 2020
The Catcheway family would typically be getting ready right now to host a fundraising barbecue to help pay for the summer search efforts to find their missing daughter, Jennifer.

This year, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the fundraiser has moved online and the barbecue will be small — just for family.

Bernice Catcheway, Jennifer's mother, says it will be more of a birthday party.

"She would have been 30," she said. "It's a sad day because she's not home and we continue our search for her."

June 19 is Jennifer's birthday, and is also the date she went missing in 2008, when she was 18 years old.

Every year, the family embarks on a summer-long search for Jennifer's remains.

Photographs last place her at a house party in Grand Rapids, Man. in June 2008 — more than 400 kilometres north of her family's home in Portage la Prairie.
Jennifer was seen getting into a truck and reportedly dropped off along rural Highway 6, the family has previously said.

RCMP later ruled the case a homicide, but her remains have never been found.

The Catcheways have travelled throughout Manitoba, following up on every tip they have received. They have combed forests, fields and bodies of water with the help of volunteers.

Their annual fundraiser — this year in the form of a silent auction on Facebook — helps fund the ongoing search efforts.

New tips lead the search north
On Monday, Catcheway and her husband will head north.

"Over the winter months we've received some calls to some areas we need to search," she said, being deliberately vague to protect the integrity of the case.

They plan to search some areas they have visited in the past and a few new spots, she added.

The family has not received any recent updates on the case from the RCMP and their relationship with police remains fraught, Catcheway said.

"It shows me, 12 years later, they still don't care," she said. "To them it's just another Indigenous woman gone missing.… That's what it makes it look like for me, in my eyes."

In an email statement sent to CBC Friday, Manitoba RCMP spokesperson Robert Cyrenne said over the past 12 years, police have "conducted a number of searches, thoroughly reviewed the investigative file multiple times," and "never stopped trying to find the person or persons responsible for [Jennifer's] death."

Cyrenne said the 12 years since her disappearance is "far too long for her family not to have answers and not to have someone held accountable for her death."

He also said RCMP investigators have spoken several times with the Catcheway family within the last two years.

RCMP believe someone has answers about what happened to Jennifer, "and we continue to ask anyone who may have information to come forward," Cyrenne said.

Bernice Catcheway said anyone with information on the case can contact her directly on Facebook or contact Manitoba RCMP.

She said the lack of closure is painful and also urges anyone with information on Jennifer's location to come forward, even anonymously.

"You can leave a note somewhere, leave a map, anything," she said. "Help us bring Jennifer home."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/jennifer-catcheway-search-12th-year-1.5617707

How the public can help

2019 campaign cases
A few..
Ws threads, sorry for the delay!
CANADA - CANADA - Ashley Dawn Morin, 31, North Battleford, SK, 10 July 2018

CANADA - Canada- Angel Edna Carlick, 19, Youth advocate, remains found in Pilot Mountain, Yukon, 26 May 2007

CANADA - Canada- Angel Edna Carlick, 19, Youth advocate, remains found in Pilot Mountain, Yukon, 26 May 2007

"Jun 19, 2023
Today would have been Jennifer Catcheway's 33rd birthday. But she disappeared on this day 15 years ago. All this time, her family continues to search for her. Her parents, Bernice and Wilfred, say - all this time - little has changed to bring justice for families of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls. CBC Manitoba's Radio Noon host Marjorie Dowhos spent time with the Catcheways as part of CBC's Mother. Sister. Daughter series. Which takes a closer look at how many of the 231 calls to justice out of the national Inquiry into MMIWG have been completed.'

"Jan 18, 2023
Jennifer's parents Wilfred and Bernice Catcheway look for information on the location of their daughter (originally aired July 4th, 2008)''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back