Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

No public flogging from me Snoopster ;)

Thinking of Israel Keyes having the cabin in Constable, NY (purchased 1997, close to the Canadian border, and about 200+ miles from Deep River). There seems to be very little known about his activities around the cabin in Constable prior to 2009. Looking at the FBI timeline, Keyes was released from the army in July 2001 (last posted to Fort Lewis, WA), but no vehicle rentals appear after his release from the army in 2001 until 2004, so how did he get around?

We have the proximity in timing between Brett and Lyle
Neither Lyle nor Brett had ID on them
We have motels mentioned/involved in both cases
Keyes was in Neah Bay at the time Lyle was found
Keyes was a hiker and known to accost people on hiking trails (Brett found on hiking trail)
Keyes was obviously able to travel unimpeded across the Canada/US border
Keyes was known to run marathons (iirc, Brett’s socks were triathalon socks, and there was a race in/around the time Brett was discovered .. can’t recall specifics right now)
Brett had matches from the west coast (Barclay Hotel in Vancouver)
Keyes lived in Washington in 2001, about a 3 hour drive north to Vancouver

Did Brett perhaps have a vehicle and he somehow encountered Keyes who dispensed with him and used the vehicle to get to around?

We don’t know when Keyes spent time in Constable, NY and how/when he travelled there whenever he did.

Of interest is a snippet re another person being looked at as a potential victim of Keyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2584981/TV-profile-late-Alaska-serial-killer.html

Well SB, I have to say that I have mulled over the Bret/Lyle connection and have mulled over the Lyle/IK connection, but never thought that all three were likely connected. I don't mean to say that they couldn't have been, but rather that I've never put my mind to it!

Off the top I think it's a very long shot, and still lean to either/or rather than all lumped together, but I will roll that idea around in my cluttered brain.

Thanks for raising the idea.

On a different avenue of thought, has anyone identified exactly where Bret was found? It sounds like it was near Deep River ON, but exactly where? Was it walking distance to town or further into the Algonquin Park area? Would transportation have been needed?

On a different avenue of thought, has anyone identified exactly where Bret was found? It sounds like it was near Deep River ON, but exactly where? Was it walking distance to town or further into the Algonquin Park area? Would transportation have been needed?

It's wayyyy back in the thread somewhere Snoopster ... will try to find it for you tomorrow. It's not in Algonquin, but iirc, it is a bit north and well west of the town of Deep River.

ETA: The outhouse where Bret was found was at Hut Lake. Here's an old post (but my link to the Deep River XC map doesn't work any more .. will try to find a newer one and will post):

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CANADA Canada - Laurentian Hills @ Deep River ON - WhtMale 334UMON, 28-40, Sep'01 *GRAPHIC*

It was a really hard spot to find on the maps back then, so until I can find a more recent map, here's info that WSer safetytwin (local to Deep River) gave us at the time:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6240522&highlight=Bass#post6240522

You are right - the spot is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. There is an extensive network of wilderness ski trails (maintained by volunteers) in the area, and the outhouse and cabin (which would have been locked) are beside one. Bret could only have reached that location on foot or possibly by atv, since there is no real road access beyond the end of the bass lake road, and that only goes as far as sullivan lake. On the satellite view you can see a cleared strip through the bush which is where the gas pipeline runs; there is also a railway line, now no longer in use. There are snowmobile trails in the winter, and some rough logging roads that would not be usable by ordinary vehicles. There are no nearby roads into or out of algonquin park either, although the boundary of the park is very close.

I can't imagine how he ended up there, unless he started off on one of the trails in a spirit of adventure and got very lost. That would be easy to do for someone who didn't know the area and didn't have a map. He was found quickly just by chance - the person who came across him was (if i recall correctly) out doing some trail clearing and went there to use the outhouse.

Here's the 2014 DRXC map of the Cabin Trails system:

http://www.drxc.ca/maps/Ski Cabin-Combined - Feb2014.pdf

You can see Sullivan Lake near the top right. Below that, the red line is Bass Lake Rd and the "P" indicates Parking. I gather from safetytwin's description, there is no vehicle access beyond that point. The map doesn't show Hut Lake, but iirc, it is close to Big Bass Lake.

Well SB, I have to say that I have mulled over the Bret/Lyle connection and have mulled over the Lyle/IK connection, but never thought that all three were likely connected. I don't mean to say that they couldn't have been, but rather that I've never put my mind to it!

Off the top I think it's a very long shot, and still lean to either/or rather than all lumped together, but I will roll that idea around in my cluttered brain.

Thanks for raising the idea.

Yeah ... I'm not leaning that hard in the IK direction, but found some of the coinkydinks interesting. Have to bear in mind that there didn't appear to be any signs of foul play in Bret's case, so could be more misadventure than anything.

Just so weird that we can't seem to match our UID up after all this time and with so many available pics of missing peeps. :(

You can try missing persons North America. They break it down by month and year person was last seen. Good luck.

You can try missing persons North America. They break it down by month and year person was last seen. Good luck.

We've tried all that deedee. Six years we've been at this, and although we've come up with a few that looked possible at first blush, nothing pans out.

The height is off, but this MP somewhat resembles the UID. They both have a mole/spot on the right side of their neck (left as seen in the photos) and they have similar hairlines and facial hair growth patterns. Unfortunately there's very little about the MP to be found online.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/case_report_html/4700
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4803dmnc.html

Unfortunately mp's height is 5' 10'', but they do look somewhat similar.
Any chance Rodney Thomas Davis missing since: July 15, 2001, and has green eyes, could be "Lyle Stevik Doe"?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-4&highlight=lyle+stevik

I've always thought that Stone and Stevik were in some way related.
If Lyle Stevik and Bret Stone were traveling companions that might explain why Stone was found in an outhouse.
I assume that the outhouse where he was found is something that's used most often in the winter when many people are skiing in that area and under those weather conditions to 'relieve one's self' isn't going to be seen as socially acceptable amongst all that snow, whereas during the warmer part of the year someone might choose to enter an outhouse to relieve themselves if they were in the company of another since it is, to some people, embarrassing to 'go' in front of another.
If Stone had been alone whilst hiking I would imagine he'd have done what most people do when they're alone in the woods and relieve themselves out in the open.
I believe Lyle Stevik is actually Ilija Dukic who was last seen in 1991 in Croatia.
http://www.nestali.hr/default.aspx?id=22&osoba_id=1028
I think that Stone passed away out in the open and Stevik placed his body in the outhouse because he did not want to alert any passing hiker to the fact this man had died and he assumed that during the summer months the likelihood of someone finding him in the outhouse was lower than if he had been left outside, for the reasons stated above, (that most people would hide behind a tree or something).
Or, it may have simply been because he didn't want to see his friend left out in the open for the animals to feed upon.
If there is a connection to Stevik and it proves to be that Stevik is Dukic, then perhaps Stone was also an illegal immigrant traveler who had fled Croatia during the conflict there in the nineties?
In this scenario Stevik would have been compelled to remove all traces of identification from Stone since they were counterfeit they would not have stood up to the scrutiny of the authorities and they may have then been able to be used to link the two men.
Or perhaps Stone had been financing their travels and in order to remain financially solvent Stevik simply took Stone's wallet which contained the id also?

What if this man was cleaned up and placed, ie due to leg problem?

http://doenetwork.org/cases/4003dmon.html

" Roger Paul Bertrand
Missing since November 11, 1999 from Hanmer, Ontario, Canada
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: September 5, 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 42 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 145 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; hazel eyes".

This is far-fetched, but is it possible this man could be believed to have been lost on 9/11? I know he was found about a week prior to this, but maybe he was travelling around and wasn't in touch with friends or family. In 2001, not everyone had cell phones. Internet access was limited. If you were going to visit a remote area, you'd probably tell your family and friends that they weren't going to hear from you for awhile. We don't know how long Bret was in Ontario. Perhaps he had just arrived and planned to stay for awhile. Maybe it was assumed that he returned and was killed in the tragedy. It's far-fetched, I know. Just thought I'd put it out there.

This is far-fetched, but is it possible this man could be believed to have been lost on 9/11? I know he was found about a week prior to this, but maybe he was travelling around and wasn't in touch with friends or family. In 2001, not everyone had cell phones. Internet access was limited. If you were going to visit a remote area, you'd probably tell your family and friends that they weren't going to hear from you for awhile. We don't know how long Bret was in Ontario. Perhaps he had just arrived and planned to stay for awhile. Maybe it was assumed that he returned and was killed in the tragedy. It's far-fetched, I know. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Welcome to Ws!
Not far-fetched, many have speculated that his family might assume he was lost in the 911 mayhem.
Same with the other still unidentified male found in N.Y. also around that time, here is the thread for "Lyle " in case you are interested.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Lyle-Stevik-quot-Grays-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-5

Any possibility?

https://missingkids.ca/app/en/missing_children_database

"78-s.jpgAdam O'Brien
Date Of Birth:
Oct 28, 1982
Missing Since:
Nov 9, 1996
Missing from:
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Additional Information:
Adam O’Brien and his two brothers Trevor and Mitchell were allegedly abducted by their father, Gary O’Brien. At the time of disappearance Adam O’Brien wore clear braces on his top teeth. A warrant has been issued for the abducting parent.
Eyes:
Blue
Hair:
Dark Brown
Height:
5'3"
Weight:
100lbs "

Any possibility?

https://missingkids.ca/app/en/missing_children_database

"View attachment 78486Adam O'Brien
Date Of Birth:
Oct 28, 1982
Missing Since:
Nov 9, 1996
Missing from:
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Additional Information:
Adam O’Brien and his two brothers Trevor and Mitchell were allegedly abducted by their father, Gary O’Brien. At the time of disappearance Adam O’Brien wore clear braces on his top teeth. A warrant has been issued for the abducting parent.
Eyes:
Blue
Hair:
Dark Brown
Height:
5'3"
Weight:
100lbs "

I assume you mean his dad? Adam would have only been 18/19 in 2001. Would be great if we could find a photo of his father, if he's still missing too.

Certainly he was someone with a good chunk of disposable income to afford Koh Sakai eyewear:

From: http://www.drsee.com/featured-optical-products.html

"Designed by Koh Sakai, world-renowned in the optical industry for his creative brilliance and painstaking craftsmanship, this is one of his last handmade frame collections. A wide variety of sizes are represented, including many that will flatter those hard-to-fit customers with smaller eye sizes, and most styles are available with clip-on sun lenses."

Surely LE has tried to trace the frames. That particular prescription would add to the expense.

Trying to keep eyes open for these somewhat unique glasses, they might just be recognized by someone in optometry.imo

Bret had protein bars from G.N.C. and matches from the Barclay Hotel in Vancouver. There are G.N.C. Stores in Canada, so not just the US as Tom suggested in the opening post.

The Barclay is at 1348 Robson St and the closest G.N.C. store is at 1126 Robson, 400 metres, a 5 minute walk from the Barclay:

Map here

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astoldbybels
Back