Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

It will take money and time to identify him, but surely his DNA would not be nearly as degraded as a century-old sample. It's plausible that he might have living relatives much closer on the family tree, some of whom might have submitted their own DNA to databases. It's up to local authorities to submit his DNA for identification. What will it take to get the ball rolling on genetic genealogy for this man?

We could get Othram on this thread. They take cases like this.

@othram would you be interested in adding this UID to your list? It is so unusual for this man not to be identified.

I'm pretty sure they have DNA for this guy already. He was found recently at the time of discovery and every single case I've ever contacted the NCMPUR about already has DNA samples for the Doe in question. They do the most obscure rule-outs too, I had one that I thought was surely a match but they'd already ruled it out.

It will take money and time to identify him, but surely his DNA would not be nearly as degraded as a century-old sample. It's plausible that he might have living relatives much closer on the family tree, some of whom might have submitted their own DNA to databases. It's up to local authorities to submit his DNA for identification. What will it take to get the ball rolling on genetic genealogy for this man?

We could get Othram on this thread. They take cases like this.

@othram would you be interested in adding this UID to your list? It is so unusual for this man not to be identified.

I'm pretty sure they have DNA for this guy already. He was found recently at the time of discovery and every single case I've ever contacted the NCMPUR about already has DNA samples for the Doe in question. They do the most obscure rule-outs too, I had one that I thought was surely a match but they'd already ruled it out.
They likely have a DNA profile for the guy for sure, but it's most likely an STR profile. However the DNA analysis needed for genetic genealogy is completely different to this, so a bone would need to be re-analysed, this is why the cost is high. It's not as simple as just taking an existing profile on record, otherwise everyone would be doing it. So as long as this gentleman's remains are still held somewhere, then it should be doable.

IDENTIFIED!!
'Police say genetic testing confirmed the body is that of a man from Drumheller, Alta. born in 1962.'

''Through genome sequencing, the samples matched one collected from a person listed in a family DNA tree. The results were then confirmed by additional family DNA testing by the Ontario Forensic Pathology Service (OFPS) and the Office of the Chief Coroner (OCC).''

''A post-mortem examination in 2001 found he had died as a result of a medical condition and not the cause of foul play.

Police are not releasing the man's name out of respect for his family and because his death was not considered suspicious.''

rbbm
''On Sept. 5, 2001, members of the Upper Ottawa Valley Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded after a man’s body was found in an outhouse at a remote cross-country ski shelter. Police said it appeared as though the individual had been using the outhouse for shelter for some time''

Last edited:
IDENTIFIED!!
'Police say genetic testing confirmed the body is that of a man from Drumheller, Alta. born in 1962.'

''Through genome sequencing, the samples matched one collected from a person listed in a family DNA tree. The results were then confirmed by additional family DNA testing by the Ontario Forensic Pathology Service (OFPS) and the Office of the Chief Coroner (OCC).''

''A post-mortem examination in 2001 found he had died as a result of a medical condition and not the cause of foul play.

Police are not releasing the man's name out of respect for his family and because his death was not considered suspicious.''

rbbm
''On Sept. 5, 2001, members of the Upper Ottawa Valley Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded after a man’s body was found in an outhouse at a remote cross-country ski shelter. Police said it appeared as though the individual had been using the outhouse for shelter for some time''
We are a little late because we announced three other cases Friday... but here is our story:

Last edited:
I feel so sad for this man....the story says he lived in the outhouse more than just briefly. I'm not so sure about this. What was he eating? How was he staying warm besides the tin foil blanket he had? He had some kind of drug; he's sustaining himself for an extended period on that? And he seemed almost anonymous even in life....

Later: I'm thinking the media story got it wrong, perhaps a misreading of the official statement, and best to rely on the formal story. He was found within a few days of his death of natural causes. Interesting they don't say what kind of natural causes.

FWIW it's not crazy for folks to take refuge in an outhouse in a pinch (although our person might simply have become suddenly very ill). If they're composting, they have almost no aroma and can be quite spacious. And in winter, the poop freezes: they can easily shelter you from the wind and retain your heat a bit.

Last edited:
I feel so sad for this man....the story says he lived in the outhouse more than just briefly. I'm not so sure about this. What was he eating? How was he staying warm besides the tin foil blanket he had? He had some kind of drug; he's sustaining himself for an extended period on that? And he seemed almost anonymous even in life....

Later: I'm thinking the media story got it wrong, perhaps a misreading of the official statement, and best to rely on the formal story. He was found within a few days of his death of natural causes. Interesting they don't say what kind of natural causes.

FWIW it's not crazy for folks to take refuge in an outhouse in a pinch (although our person might simply have become suddenly very ill). If they're composting, they have almost no aroma and can be quite spacious. And in winter, the poop freezes: they can easily shelter you from the wind and retain your heat a bit.

I seem to remember the cause of death was caffeine overdose or was that just a theory?

But aren't authorities saying he was hanging out there for some time? ^^^^ it says death from natural causes.
They (carefully?) didn’t say natural causes. They called it "medical causes" in the press release, and someone else misinterpreted that as being natural causes. I suppose overdose of a drug that's not usually a drug of abuse (like caffeine or tylenol) could count as a medical issue.

Wow, I missed this update and just stumbled across it now. So happy he's been identified. This case always fascinated me. It's surprising to me that his family didn't know why and how he got there.
Thanks to OPP, Toronto Police Services and Othram for their excellent work.

Even if we never know his name I'd like to get some information as to where he lived to find out whether any of us was close to his point of origin.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starrynight8974
Back