Canada - Liana White, 29, Edmonton AB, 12 July 2005 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
newtv said:
I agree that both positions can and do exist at the same time.
Have I told you lately that I love you! You are the best with one of the biggest hearts on earth. :)

NewTV...this is OT but I am curious...will Americans be able to go to Canada and get married once that law passes? I'm not gay but know that the law will probably never pass here.

karmarama said:
Cool! I am 100% french Canadian :) do you speak it at all?

I was born and raised in Montreal, Now I live in Castledowns which is pretty much in Edmonton.

There are some great people here on this board :)
Comment allez vous?

I started teaching myself French when I was very young, but at the moment, that's the only line I can remember!

I agree Karma; there are some great people at WS.

;)

mysteriew said:
It sounds as though Canada may be gearing up to pass a law for the unborn child. If it is normally not mentioned in the media that a person was pregnant, then suddenly they begin mentioning it, that may be indicative of a behind the scenes push to get public support for such a law.
That would be a very good thing to see happen.

In discussing this case and the possible scenarios that may have led to Liana's murder today, my friend asked me why we (at least in Canada) have a more lenient approach to crimes of passion. His view is that if a crime, in this case murder, has been committed, regardless of whether passion, drugs, alcohol, or mental illness fuelled the crime it should not be treated any differently than if none of these (or similar factors) were at issue when the crime was committed.

Leaving mental illness out of the equation - as that is such a loaded variable - what are the different ideas others of you have on this subject? :twocents:

He actually gave me a true example of two cases, tried by the same judge - here in Canada - where the following occurred:

Case #1 - 17 or 18 yr old who had spent years seeing his step-father physically abuse his mother, and siblings. Came home one day and the step-father was drunk and beating his mother to a pulp. He got up, left, came back with a rifle and shot him. Sentence? Life with no chance of parole for about 15 yrs.

Case #2 - adult male. Comes home and finds his wife in bed with another man. Goes out, gets a gun and comes back and kills the other man. Sentence? One year.

What are your thoughts on this?
Cosmos from Canada

newtv said:
yes- I assume we have that type of thing..but people are people and I doubt our programs work any better than yours...things work for some folks and not for others..people can get an education..
Yep.... sounds pretty much like what we have with regard to rehab in prisons. But, since that doesn't work to keep men from murdering their pregnant wives, maybe the SP example will help some. Thanks for your response.

On a happier note- canada passed its same sex marriage law through the senate and now its just a formailty to be signed by the prime minister (President).
Well, congratulations on that, I guess. I must admit, it's an issue that doesn't affect my life in particular. I wouldn't protest gay marriage though; I have known and worked with many wonderful gay people. They're as sensitive and as human as anyone else.

Yes, there have been many American couples who have come up to Canada to get married in those provinces - for e.g. B.C. and Toronto - which do not discriminate. Now that civil marriage has become a federal law perhaps more provinces will welcome non-Canadians wishing a civil marriage.

From what I have gathered, aside from some of the stolen property belonging to the crown
it was also related to private property,ie: most likely his fellow soldiers as he was being charged by the military and not local Law Enforcement. Being, been in the military, I can tell you someone who steals from a fellow soldier is the lowest in my books.

He knew exactly what he was doing, with regards to locating her, it was all a ploy to
make it appear to be the work of a local Serial Killer who regularly disposes of bodies near
farmers' fields.

The first time this looser, spoke on tv, it struck me odd the confidence he expressed,
when he stated he would find her, "...I will find you". Immediately after that moment, I had said to my better half, "he will find her, but she will be dead". Sadly, this transpired.

Last week, Michael White Brothers set the seed, when he spoke on tv, asking for area farmers, to have a lookout. Obviously good ole michael was indirectly speaking here.
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=6341b822-337f-4d6a-be61-4c30e92c7be6

I feel the indignity to the body is possibly due to him staging her in a sexual position, as she was partially clothed, which in his mind would have appeared to be the workings of this local serial killer, thus, taking the spotlight off of White.

This didnt work, as by this time, the LEO's had enough to arrest him.
The search warrant was then executed on his vehicle.

The cops let him use his vehicle,so not to arouse suspicion and seize it from him earlier, but apparently evidence at the house which was obatained Saturday, was possibly a leading factor in the arrest also.

I believe some of the motivation here, is money,
He definately holds a record of financial difficulties and for someone who appears to have worked a fair percentage of their working life, including teen years, that maybe good ole Michael had some sort of substance issues.

In 1998 he had a head end vehicle accident with a couple and was later sued for $36000.
Amazingly the wife in the vehicle was a collections officer.

I am also wondering if he took the day off of work on the day, she went missing.
?? Taking the day off in advance or calling in sick, before he even knew she was missing, as it appears that he got a call from the police around approx 830-930am.
In one article, a neighbour confirms. that LEO arrived at the house , and then White was seen outside sobbing. This leads me to believe, he did not work that day.

fft

concernedperson said:
Have I told you lately that I love you! You are the best with one of the biggest hearts on earth. :)
wowoowowo-that makes my day..thx sooo much..:) big hug and you know i have always been your biggest fan-always no matter-u are a very special woman and I admire what you have lived thru..love to u too.

spygirl said:
Yep.... sounds pretty much like what we have with regard to rehab in prisons. But, since that doesn't work to keep men from murdering their pregnant wives, maybe the SP example will help some. Thanks for your response.

Well, congratulations on that, I guess. I must admit, it's an issue that doesn't affect my life in particular. I wouldn't protest gay marriage though; I have known and worked with many wonderful gay people. They're as sensitive and as human as anyone else.
I must admit, it's an issue that doesn't affect my life in particular.

Oh darn! My Loss..
(j/playing).

cosmos33 said:
Yes, there have been many American couples who have come up to Canada to get married in those provinces - for e.g. B.C. and Toronto - which do not discriminate. Now that civil marriage has become a federal law perhaps more provinces will welcome non-Canadians wishing a civil marriage.
I think they will-its not so much that they are opposed as they would rather not say they are ok with it-its about votes-once they are told its illegal not to marry same sex couples..they will just say it wasnt their doing..and there is a good dollar to be made in marrying people from other countries..so they will catch on.

Liana White appeared to have been involved in a struggle before her death, but how she died is still undetermined, police said Tuesday.

Lead investigator Det. Michael Campeau confirmed that the body found along a rural road Sunday was the 29-year-old pregnant woman, who had been missing since July 12.

"It's not a victory for the police service. It's a tragic day for two families," Campeau said. "Liana's mom is not doing very well."

Campeau said Liana White's body was "in a state of decomposition," which made the task of determining how she died more difficult, although marks on the body indicate there had been a struggle. She was identified through dental records.

The medical examiner will conduct further tests to pin down the cause of death.

Campeau said White had some clothing on when she was found, "but not very much."
http://calgary.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ca-white-homicide20050720
He would not comment on where police believe she was killed. Campeau also said that a vehicle towed Sunday night from the area where the body was found – and where White had been searching – was the husband's pickup truck, which police had earlier obtained a search warrant for.

Why was the woman who seemed like a happy wife and mother killed?

"We are still working on that," Detective Michael Campeau told reporters yesterday, a day after Mrs. White's husband was charged in her death. Det. Campeau added that the pregnant woman's slaying wasn't premeditated and police had never been called to the Whites' home before last week.

Yesterday, Mr. White made a brief court appearance in a blue jumpsuit and shackles, but isn't expected to enter a plea until July 26. He appeared overwhelmed and exhausted as he looked out into the packed courtroom. None of his family members or friends attended.

Many of them, including his mother, Carol Forbes, and his older brother, Bryan, travelled to Edmonton when news first broke that Ms. White had gone missing on her way to work last Tuesday morning. They also helped in the private search.
Det. Campeau also said that Mr. White became a potential suspect before last weekend, after officers became "aware of certain evidence," but he wouldn't elaborate. He said they have collected about 150 exhibits.

He said that the families of both Mr. and Ms. White are devastated.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050720/MISSING20/TPNational/Canada

I believe this was definitely a case of financial burden.

He was sued 35,000 for the car accident, plus he owed the military money and was court martialed.

I am sure between being garnished wages, paying a mortgage, two vehicle loans, and having another baby, in which his wife would be off work for a year....I bet he snapped.

She probably didnt realize how deep in debt they were. Maybe that is what caused the ending. Maybe they were arguing about money and he snapped.

Maybe she was planning to leave him, and he figured he couldnt afford for her to leave.

Anyways, he was obviously not a good man...he stole from the military.
I dont believe his lies it was because of the payments he was paying for the car accident. There is always other ways around things without resorting to stealing.

Hi Karma --- Castledowns is a part of Edmonton - not a suburb...., has always been.

Nice to meet you. I live in Sherwood Park, about 5 or 10 minutes from Edmonton to the East. :D

newtv said:
yes- I assume we have that type of thing..but people are people and I doubt our programs work any better than yours...things work for some folks and not for others..people can get an education..and we dont have death row so that means noone is denied privileges that would be denied those on death row..we have monsters who wonr ever get out too-because they are dangerous offenders-but they dont get the DP- and for those I could agree to it- but then we get into the whole where is the line drawn thing"..but more over its against our basic values- or the majority of canadians..its a philosophy..but I really think sex offenders - crimes against children involving sex of any sort - violent offenders should die-but that is not going to happen.

QUOTE]

.........since the canadian vote on the death penalty took place back in the 60's......i would really wonder if the 'majority' today, of age to vote......would still agree............

...i'm all for the death penalty......in crimes against children, most definitely.......and also, in this case, if he's proven to have taken lianna's life.....why should my tax $$'s pay to see him get to live ?to see him "rehabilitated? "

...he could have divorced her....let her leave him...swallowed his pride and sucked it up knowing he's a loser.......but he didn't...........he went one step further and killed her.........

...2nd degree......... an argument that got out of hand ? heat of the moment...out of control ? we've all been taught to get our emotions in check , ...i give this guy no pity at all because he couldn't manage it...

I feel [b said:
the indignity to the body[/b] is possibly due to him staging her in a sexual position, as she was partially clothed, which in his mind would have appeared to be the workings of this local serial killer, thus, taking the spotlight off of White.
...although i also beleive that he was trying to make it appear that this was the work of the serial killer.........

...i've heard LE state numerous times in the last couple of days, that the 2nd charge " indignity to a human body", is solely because he moved the ( deceased ) body to the field....( in canada that is a crime in itself.......a person can NOT move a dead body without permit...anywhere...at any time...)

lauriej said:
newtv said:
yes- I assume we have that type of thing..but people are people and I doubt our programs work any better than yours...things work for some folks and not for others..people can get an education..and we dont have death row so that means noone is denied privileges that would be denied those on death row..we have monsters who wonr ever get out too-because they are dangerous offenders-but they dont get the DP- and for those I could agree to it- but then we get into the whole where is the line drawn thing"..but more over its against our basic values- or the majority of canadians..its a philosophy..but I really think sex offenders - crimes against children involving sex of any sort - violent offenders should die-but that is not going to happen.

QUOTE]

.........since the canadian vote on the death penalty took place back in the 60's......i would really wonder if the 'majority' today, of age to vote......would still agree............

...i'm all for the death penalty......in crimes against children, most definitely.......and also, in this case, if he's proven to have taken lianna's life.....why should my tax $$'s pay to see him get to live ?to see him "rehabilitated? "

...he could have divorced her....let her leave him...swallowed his pride and sucked it up knowing he's a loser.......but he didn't...........he went one step further and killed her.........

...2nd degree......... an argument that got out of hand ? heat of the moment...out of control ? we've all been taught to get our emotions in check , ...i give this guy no pity at all because he couldn't manage it...
yes the majority would vote against the DP because we have never rallied to have it changed-noone would ever run on that issue- why?? We have a strong social conscience..and there is no party hat can win in canada if it starts talking DP, abortion, or rescinding gay marriage..in fact I will predict anothe liberal majority because we do not want to be lead by reform party bibel thumpers- canada wont do that and u can hold me to thast..those who want it are in the minority and thats where they will stay- we are not going to go backward in time ...I wish you would realize we dont have a DP because we , (collective majority),dont agree with it in principle...otherwise someone would be forcing that vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74