Canada- Longtime CBC radio producer Michael Finlay dies after random assault in Toronto (Danforth/Jones) 24 Jan '23 *Suspect Photo*

dotr

Reaction score
Feb 1 2023
1675282816862.png
Michael Finlay and CBC's Europe correspondent Margaret Evans pose for a photo. (Penny Cadrain/CBC)
1675282847398.png

''Michael Finlay was an exceptional storyteller, documentary maker and editor, CBC says''​

In the afternoon of Jan. 24, Finlay was assaulted by a stranger as he walked along Danforth Avenue, a busy thoroughfare known for its many shops and restaurants, Toronto police say.

Though they did not identify Finlay by name, police said in a news release that the victim in the attack fell to the ground and suffered serious injuries as a result.

They described the suspect as a man in his 20s, about six feet tall with a slim build. He was last seen wearing a red paper mask with flames on it, according to police, as well as a black sweater and black pants. He left the area on foot following the attack.

'He knew what good journalism was'​

Frank Koller, a former foreign correspondent for CBC who worked with Finlay on Sunday Morning, said he had a "laser-like sense of what might be important news anywhere in the world."

In a Facebook post, Koller said it had been a dream of his to work alongside Finlay.

"I wanted to work with him because he understood better than most what 'good radio' required, he knew what good journalism was — and he was a stickler for good grammar and pronunciation and the music and cadence of well-spoken English," Koller wrote.''

rbbm
By Santiago Arias Orozco Aisling Murphy
''The suspect in Finlay’s case is still at large. In a news release, Toronto police said they are looking for a man in his 20s of slim build slim who is about six feet tall. He was last seen wearing a black sweater and pants, as well as a red paper mask with flames.''
1675283073456.png

''The assault is one of a growing list of serious and apparently random assaults in Toronto, including several fatal incidents on city sidewalks or transit in the last 12 months.

A week before Finlay’s attack, 89-year-old Xiaoxia Wang was killed after being pushed to the ground in what police described as an unprovoked daylight attack.
Toronto mayor John Tory said Wednesday morning he feels a sense of “personal responsibility” about seemingly random attacks like these. He called Finlay’s death “a tragedy.”

Unit:

55 Division
Case #: 23-185555

Published: Wednesday, February 1, 2023, 3:04 PM

SHARE (OPENS IN NEW WINDOW)
The Toronto Police Service is requesting the public's assistance identifying a suspect wanted in an assault investigation.
On Tuesday, January 24, 2023, at 3:35 p.m., police attended a call for an Assault in the Danforth Avenue and Jones Avenue area.
See previous news release
A new image of the suspect has been released.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5500, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), or at www.222tips.com.
1675283311856.png

1675283349945.png

''TORONTO, Ont. — Michael Finlay, an acclaimed CBC Radio producer and documentary maker, has died after a random assault on one of Toronto’s busiest thoroughfares, the latest in a slate of such stranger attacks in the city.

Finlay was pushed to the ground by an unknown assailant a week ago and died of complications from his “serious” injuries on Tuesday, according to friends and neighbours.

“It’s a human loss and it’s a journalistic loss and I’m outraged,” said former CBC colleague Jeffrey Dvorkin, who went on to become vice president of news at National Public Radio in the United States. “He was brilliant — brilliant — and curmudgeonly, in the best sense.”

Finlay was walking on Danforth Avenue, a popular street known for its restaurants and shops that also forms the heart of Toronto’s Greek neighbourhood, when he was assaulted and fell to the ground, said a police news release that does not identify Finlay by name.

The suspect, described as male, 6’0″, with a slim build and in his 20s, fled the scene, police say. He was last witnessed wearing a red paper mask with flames on it, a black sweater and black pants''.
1675283614453.png

The bag is from the store "So Hip It Hurts".

View attachment 399385
Nice find. His bag looks rectangular like he bought shoes.

Editing to add that the updated photo shows skateboards and Vans insignia rug which I believe must have been taken at the sohip store. So wouldn't LE have identifying information from the purchase/transaction? Did he pay cash? Seems young people don't carry cash often.

Last edited:
I've mentioned this in the other toronto posts, but sadly this is not new. I, and many friends have been the unfortunate victims of random attacks in Toronto, more so than any other city (including when I lived in other cties there was no comparison).

About 8 years ago my mother and I were walking in the Annex(very near Spadina stn) when a man screamed at us, and tried to light my 60 year old mother on fire by attempting to light her coat. I screamed, punched him, and grabbed her and ran, but I still think about it almost every single day and the terror I felt.

Man wanted for manslaughter in death of CBC Radio producer Michael Finlay

New article from CBC News. Excerpt:

"Police have identified a man wanted in connection with the death of longtime CBC radio producer Michael Finlay, who died after an alleged random assault in Toronto's east end in January.

At a news conference Friday afternoon, police said a warrant has been issued for 43-year-old Toronto man Robert Robin Cropearedwolf. He is wanted for manslaughter."

They have also provided a photo of the suspect.
robert-robin-cropearedwolf.jpg

"Police have identified a man wanted in connection with the death of longtime CBC radio producer Michael Finlay, who died after an alleged random assault in Toronto's east end in January.

At a news conference Friday afternoon, police said a warrant has been issued for 43-year-old Toronto man Robert Robin Cropearedwolf. He is wanted for manslaughter."

robert-robin-cropearedwolf.jpg
Was this guy down on his luck and on the streets with addiction problems? I don't think so since he looks fairly well-dressed.

What was his motive? Theft?
Does he have delusions?

I'm wondering if we'll ever hear the 'why' of this senseless murder. :(

I figured it wouldn't take too long to identify the suspect but I am surprised they haven't apprehended him already. I wonder if he served a sentence in the jewelry case.

Rest easy Mr. Finlay

This really *$% me off. This guy has been involved in criminal activity from at least 18 yr old.
From @PatLaurel 's link
The Idaho State Police is working with numerous law enforcement agencies from the FBI, US Marshall's Office, Homeland Security and various other state and local authorities to gather as much information and evidence to determine the scale of crimes Cropearedwolf and Bock may be involved in
And now a man is dead. Ugh :(

The story on cbc.ca has been updated since my earlier post. It now says:

"Investigators say Cropearedwolf was known to police. Court records show he was out on bail, having most recently been charged with assault with a weapon, mischief and breaking and entering last year."

So, he has a history, including assault and he was out on bail.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back