Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the age for starting school in PA?

Where I live, there can be a 14-month gap between the youngest and oldest child in a Grade One class, due to the guidelines for optional vs. compulsory starting ages.

This is yet another reason some children have difficulties in school, IMO. Some parents choose early entry because of day care logistics and so on, whether their child is ready or not. Others will hold their children back as long as they can. The size difference and range of abilities means big gaps in both.

According to Google, kids start kindergarten at age five, or the year they're to turn five. Bryer and Kam (if they attended kindergarten) both would have been five since their birthdays are before the start of the school year.

Yes the problem with information gained from reporters seeking to speak to local people who’ll agree to talk can be the person stating their opinion would need to be familiar with both B and K equally, in order to compare the two. Possibly the person who believed B was more outspoken didn’t know K as well.

It's also possible for people to be more or less talkative in different contexts.

They had already been in the woods for at least a couple of days by the time his dad was interviewed. They were in the woods by the time they were charged and named as suspects.

I had the opposite reaction. When I first saw the interview I thought "Wow, most parents would be in denial, but that guy has a really realistic assessment of the situation...I've never seen that before from the parent of a teen killer."
the really realistic assessment and lack of denial suggest to me that this wasn't the first go round with his son. comes a point no matter how much love it becomes clear to a parent that they can't control a out of control adult child. who knows what madness has been dealt with that wasn't as serious.

I noticed that the other day. I found it kind of sad and sweet all at once. Wondered about the circumstances.
Yes, I found a lot of those pics of him and his dad together when he was little the same: sad and sweet. One thing that has struck me about the pictures of Bryer when he was little is he really does look like a normal kid. I know we've talked a lot about Bryer being kind of unsettling-looking/creepy-looking as a teen, but there's really no hint of that when he was younger. :(

Yes, I found a lot of those pics of him and his dad together when he was little the same: sad and sweet. One thing that has struck me about the pictures of Bryer when he was little is he really does look like a normal kid. I know we've talked a lot about Bryer being kind of unsettling-looking/creepy-looking as a teen, but there's really no hint of that when he was younger. :(

was there more pics of them together? I've only ever seen the one
and I agree - he looked like a cute, bright-eyed kid

I postulated here that one of those keys might have matched the lock on a gun cabinet.

It's super unlikely that LD would own a gun, and even more unlikely that he'd store a gun cabinet key on his key ring. He was an academic researcher from Canada's left coast. Owning a gun for any purpose would be contrary to the values of his community.

According to Google, kids start kindergarten at age five, or the year they're to turn five. Bryer and Kam (if they attended kindergarten) both would have been five since their birthdays are before the start of the school year.

Provincial education departments set the compulsory Grade One start age, but school districts can allow an early start, up to a point. I say up to a point because any earlier could mean the student is not funded by the province. Kindergarten is not compulsory where I live, and wasn't always funded. Some kids repeat kindergarten if they're not ready for school. It's free, and there's nothing stopping this, unless they've reached the compulsory Grade One start age.

This is my long way of saying they could have been in kindergarten together, but not the grades. Or, they could have had a 14-month age gap, if they lived where I live.

His father describes him as more or less a neglected child who did not learn to ride a bike and drive a car. I wonder if he learned how to swim or do any sports. If he was a bit neglected, followed by a new step parent and another sibling, it cannot have been easy for him.

was there more pics of them together? I've only ever seen the one
and I agree - he looked like a cute, bright-eyed kid
Let me dig and see where they were. It was in MSM, and they all seemed to be from around the same time period. I think the photos may have been pulled from his dad's FB page. He had a great smile when he was a kid! The only pictures I've really seen him smile in when he was older, the smile doesn't reach his eyes.

I have also wondered if the BS can't drive and had no license might be that at one point he did and could, but done something for it to be revoked so thus he didn't have one and could not drive.

It's super unlikely that LD would own a gun, and even more unlikely that he'd store a gun cabinet key on his key ring. He was an academic researcher from Canada's left coast. Owning a gun for any purpose would be contrary to the values of his community.

Oh, did I miss something? I don't recall seeing who owned those keys.

We don't know who owned any of those keys. No one bothered to pick them up until quite recently.

Keys on that ring could have had many sources. Some kinds of murderers collect trophies from their victims.

Last edited:

He was honestly such a cute and normal looking kid. Even looked happy. I personally didn't see anything creepy in any of his pictures when he was older either, but I know some people have. I know the pics of him posing in his military gear or gas mask are weird, but I don't see anything disturbing about them.. just seems to me like a gamer guy or an internet troll or just a teen having fun. In every picture and that surveillance video of him, I see a non-intimidating baby-faced teenager. I just think he looks pretty average all around .. And the same for Kam. I know some people don't agree but that's how I'm seeing it. It's jmo. Scary a little I guess, to think someone that (I think) looks so normal could be capable of any kind of brutality. But I guess that's how it goes... (Chris Watts comes to mind, but I won't go there and get OT.)

Last edited:
Oh, did I miss something? I don't recall seeing who owned those keys.

We don't know who owned any of those keys. No one bothered to pick them up until quite recently.

You're right to say that we don't know who owned the keys. I'm willing to believe those who've suggested they were Toyota keys, and thus possibly, or even likely, keys to the RAV.

He was honestly such a cute and normal looking kid. Even looked happy. I personally didn't see anything creepy in any of his pictures when he was older either, but I know some people have. I know the pics of him posing in his military gear or gas mask are weird, but I don't see anything disturbing about them.. just seems like a gamer guy or an internet troll or just a teen having fun. In every picture and that surveillance video of him, I see a non-intimidating baby-faced teenager. I just think he looks pretty average all around .. And the same for Kam. I know some people don't agree but that's how I'm seeing it. It's jmo. Scary a little I guess, to think someone that (I think) looks so normal could be capable of any kind of brutality. But I guess that's how it goes... (Chris Watts comes to mind, but I won't go there and get OT.)
The picture of Bryer that circulated when they were missing kind of gave me the heebie jeebies and some of the other ones from recently, too--he looks kind of dead-eyed to me, I guess. Weirdly enough, I thought as an adult he looked the most normal in the surveillance pictures. Super baby-faced, really.

Kam's pictures always looked normal and even friendly to me. In fact, my first impression of him when he was missing was that he had a really great smile! Ironically, I thought he looked way more unsettling in the surveillance pictures, maybe because it was the first time I saw him where he wasn't smiling.

the really realistic assessment and lack of denial suggest to me that this wasn't the first go round with his son. comes a point no matter how much love it becomes clear to a parent that they can't control a out of control adult child. who knows what madness has been dealt with that wasn't as serious.

Well, not necessarily. In the video interview posted a few pages back, he said they were "good kids," neither of them ever got into fights, started with people, acted "macho," etc. and that nobody would have felt threatened by them or expected this from them. He did seem genuinely shocked that this all happened in all the interviews. I think he saw signs that Bryer was troubled -- the Nazi stuff, his extreme introversion, difficulties living with his mom, dropping out of school, his obsession with video games. People with mental health issues are often more able to see it in others. If anything though, I would guess that before the murder spree, he was more worried about Bryer killing himself, rather than others.

But a lot of teenagers have similar troubles and never do anything like this. I don't think all those signs coalesced into an "OMG, we missed a lot of warning signs" for him until he was forced to accept the context that his son was a killer. After that it wasn't hard to put the pieces together. Also, a lot of information came out in the media about Bryer's hidden life. According to what his family said, they had no previous idea about his homicide and suicide threats, praising Hitler since age 11, etc...I mean I guess they could be lying, which would raise its own set of questions....

Also, Bryer's dad may be very odd, but I think he's actually fairly intelligent and even self-reflective in his more cognizant moments. I also think Bryer absorbed a lot of influence from him as a child, not even on a conscious level, and I think his dad has at least some awareness of that. There's evidence to suggest, as I posted a few pages back, that the divorce aftermath wasn't just a normal messy divorce, but was really, REALLY bad and violent. I think his dad had at least some subconscious awareness of the impact that had. I don't think him writing the book was necessarily a coincidence. I think on a subconscious level, he may have realized things were going in a bad direction. All JMO.

Leonard Dyck comes from a Mennonite family (per obituary info) so he did not have a gun cabinet.

You can only speculate as to whether or not Prof Dyck had a gun cabinet. While Mennonites do not believe in owning handguns, they find hunting rifles perfectly acceptable...and those are exactly the types of weapons that would be found in a gun cabinet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member