Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
SBM/BBM - So is the forensics teacher saying he actually read these notes (if provided a paper transcript of video) of B&K or just in general in his past expertise?

I find that sentence could go either way. I can't tell if that comment is related to this case.

This is the link to the entire article. The comment is related to the case only because The Star has sought outside professional opinions to AS’s attorney’s demands for closure.
RCMP may have good reason to withhold suspected killer’s last wishes from father, experts say | The Star

Or maybe his dad would have successfully talked him out of the trip. Maybe his dad knew he didn't seem to hack construction once while trying with him and might see through a bogus story. AS might have some streets smarts Bryer's other family might not have, so maybe harder to BS dad. JMO
Interesting take.

SBM - thanks for posting.

I missed some of this discussion but pulled some info from the article - it seems one gun was purchased in Port Alberni (not Nanaimo or out of town) which I haven't seen confirmed before (or I missed it!)

And I didn't know at least one gun was purchased only days before the trip. For some reason I thought we didn't know when the guns were actually purchased.

"Now it has emerged the teens may have bought at least one of their weapons over the counter at a gun shop in their home town of Port Alberni — days before the killing spree began."

"A man has come forward to claim he saw Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, buy a hunting rifle at a gun shop in their home town of Port Alberni. "

Last edited:
They are obligated to put together a report on their findings and present that to the public to assure the public that the true murders have been identified and are now deceased. Yes, in summary they would "have to submit (well, provide) evidence to sufficiently support their findings and conclusions".

The moment the suspects were confirmed to be dead, charges would be withdrawn and the prosecutorial services/Crown would no longer be involved.

They are not at all obligated to release any part of the video that KM and BS recorded to anyone, especially the public at large. They don't have to provide photo exhibits. They don't have to offer any raw data, only describe it. The final report will be most likely be text-only.
Just curious is this is your opinion or your knowledge --and from where, like a degree or lived knowledge?

Or maybe his dad would have successfully talked him out of the trip. Maybe his dad knew he didn't seem to hack construction once while trying with him and might see through a bogus story. AS might have some streets smarts Bryer's other family might not have, so maybe harder to BS dad. JMO
Absolutely agree! He may have wanted to avoid his father so as to not be swayed from going.

There's definitely nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't mean AS would definitely see it that way. It's possible Bryer thought he'd be against it. Or that he'd ask too many questions.

I don’t know, it’s sort of like guessing what the weather will be like a month from next Thursday because we don’t have enough information about the dynamics between the two. But talking to somebody everyday usually is indicative of a bonded father/son relationship. The contradiction is if it B was not forthright with his father and hid his impending job hunting plans, knowing full well it coincided with a visitation. Am I understanding this correctly, AS was also on his way to bring B the $100 cologne B asked for?

Maybe B only acted as if he cared about the relationship with his dad, knowing his father seemed into buying him things his mom and grandma may’ve objected to, especially if they were attempting to avert Bs avid interest in violent video games (ie the airsoft rifle, computer tower). JMO

Last edited:
Why would his dad talk him out of the trip? It was his grandma who he lived with and he’d already quit his job at Walmart. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with two friends their age leaving home, job hunting elsewhere with their families full support especially if that was their goal and they’d saved their own money to do so. Even if it didn’t prove successful it still provides a taste of independence, different experiences, meeting new people... Many parents are faced with the opposite situation, children who fail to launch and have no ambition whatsoever.

Nobody could’ve predicted the outcome here.

I said that about AS hypothetically, why wouldn't it be possible? Maybe he knew Bryer wasn't cut out to work full-time, maybe he knew deep down inside his son struggling socially or with jobs or whatever. Maybe he thought Bryer was naive, maybe thought his son should commit to his new job at Walmart and not up and quit after 5 weeks. Maybe he was selfish and might've talked him out of the trip so he could be semi close and still visit him. Lots of possibilities.

Of course there's nothing wrong with two friends leaving home! I took off on a bus alone up province right after grad at 17 (never went back home either!) to go meet up with my friend and we met up with other people we knew and we camped during our "hippie phase" lol. We had quite an adventure and I loved being on my own (even though some scary things happened, nothing serious thankfully)! I always knew I could call mom and dad if I was stuck, wanted to go home or needed money, I feel like Kam maybe had that option too.

I have worked since the age 15 and I'm baffled how lots of today's youth don't work during high school, JMO so I'm all about launching and work ethic for sure.

I have never thought of it this way and it is a good take. AS would most likely sniff out a bogus story. Now the “are you ‘there’ yet?” message makes more sense to me. AS probably knew they were up to something - NOT insinuating AS knew about anything illegal that they may have done - just that he knew that the Whitehorse Alberta Grammar Rodeo story was a farce.

Yes about the release of the video, so true ....the victims didn’t have a chance to tell their story..

RCMP may have good reason to withhold suspected killer’s last wishes from father, experts say | The Star
“He added that, in fact, it may not make sense for RCMP to release the video — ever.

“You don’t want to put out a version of events that come from the two suspects or the two murderers when the victims didn’t get a chance to tell their story,” he said.

Bryan worked with York Regional Police for 30 years and now teaches forensics at Seneca College. He said he has seen his fair share of what he calls “self-serving” homicide explanations in these kinds of “suicide notes.”

“I’ve read these notes, and they are absolutely contradictory to the cause of death. I don’t think that is fair to the victims’ families,” he said.....”
That quote was speaking in general terms.

This quote:

"RCMP later revealed the two young men had recorded a video shortly before they died by gunshot."

This implies that the entire video has been viewed and that the video isn't of K&B's entire "joyride". But, I wonder if this is someone paraphrasing a report, but not neutrally, like adding meaning inadvertently...

Thoughts?

I said that about AS hypothetically, why wouldn't it be possible? Maybe he knew Bryer wasn't cut out to work full-time, maybe he knew deep down inside his son struggling socially or with jobs or whatever. Maybe he thought Bryer was naive, maybe thought his son should commit to his new job at Walmart and not up and quit after 5 weeks. Maybe he was selfish and might've talked him out of the trip so he could be semi close and still visit him. Lots of possibilities.

Of course there's nothing wrong with two friends leaving home! I took off on a bus alone up province right after grad at 17 (never went back home either!) to go meet up with my friend and we met up with other people we knew and we camped during our "hippie phase" lol. We had quite an adventure and I loved being on my own (even though some scary things happened, nothing serious thankfully)! I always knew I could call mom and dad if I was stuck, wanted to go home or needed money, I feel like Kam maybe had that option too.

I have worked since the age 15 and I'm baffled how lots of today's youth don't work during high school, JMO so I'm all about launching and work ethic for sure.

Thank you for clarifying your comments, I misunderstood.

As AS believed “the boys” were smart and intelligent, I’d guess he’d also have been supportive in their seeking to achieve successful experiences in general. But only he can say for sure.

“As the Channel 9 filming took place, news came through that the teens had been spotted alive but had evaded a police checkpoint.

Mr Schmegelsky looked visibly relieved and even impressed by his son and McLeod.

“I knew they were still alive. These boys are smart, these guys are intelligent.

“Kudos boys. Kudos, kudos”...”
Dad of Canada killer reveals final text

I have never thought of it this way and it is a good take. AS would most likely sniff out a bogus story. Now the “are you ‘there’ yet?” message makes more sense to me. AS probably knew they were up to something - NOT insinuating AS knew about anything illegal that they may have done - just that he knew that the Whitehorse Alberta Grammar Rodeo story was a farce.

I'm definitely not insinuating AS knew anything either, just maybe knowing his son wasn't ready to be totally on his own in the world with a buddy.

Thank you for clarifying your comments, I misunderstood.

As AS believed “the boys” were smart and intelligent, I’d guess he’d also have been supportive in their seeking to achieve successful experiences in general. But only he can say for sure.

“As the Channel 9 filming took place, news came through that the teens had been spotted alive but had evaded a police checkpoint.

Mr Schmegelsky looked visibly relieved and even impressed by his son and McLeod.

“I knew they were still alive. These boys are smart, these guys are intelligent.

“Kudos boys. Kudos, kudos”...”
Dad of Canada killer reveals final text

No problem, sometimes I type quick and am multitasking and worry things come out wrong all the time!

Oh yeah that comment... I think AS wanted good things for his son, he even said that. He said he bought the airsoft gun to get him outside so I'm sure he wanted his son to succeed and flourish somehow. Whether Bryer was capable of that and AS's thoughts on his son actually being capable, who really knows.

SBM/BBM - So is the forensics teacher saying he actually read these notes (if provided a paper transcript of video) of B&K or just in general in his past expertise?

I find that sentence could go either way. I can't tell if that comment is related to this case.

I’m pretty sure he was referring to cases/notes he’s looked into in the past, not Kams and Bryers case.

Why would his dad talk him out of the trip? It was his grandma who he lived with and he’d already quit his job at Walmart. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with two friends their age leaving home, job hunting elsewhere with their families full support especially if that was their goal and they’d saved their own money to do so. Even if it didn’t prove successful it still provides a taste of independence, different experiences, meeting new people... Many parents are faced with the opposite situation, children who fail to launch and have no ambition whatsoever.

Nobody could’ve predicted the outcome here.

Maybe not talking him out of it but presenting options that would allow them to be better prepared for it. Such as working and gaining a work reference, money in the bank etc

Maybe not talking him out of it but presenting options that would allow them to be better prepared for it. Such as working and gaining a work reference, money in the bank etc
Those are my thoughts too. Wasn't AS's first reaction "you quit after only 2 paycheques?". In the short time BS lived with AS, he did try to teach him work ethics and skills, and probably tried to instill the importance of sticking with a job. It's so important for someone with barely a high school education to not skips around jobs.

You know, this type of scenario never occurred to me and yet it makes so much sense and entirely possible. The one thing is I don’t think is that AS could have talked Bryer out of the trip... I’m still considering whether Bryer was just using him for the expensive gifts and all. But I also agree with your other post where you mentioned that AS may have more street smarts and harder to get this ruse past him.

They are obligated to put together a report on their findings and present that to the public to assure the public that the true murders have been identified and are now deceased. Yes, in summary they would "have to submit (well, provide) evidence to sufficiently support their findings and conclusions".

The moment the suspects were confirmed to be dead, charges would be withdrawn and the prosecutorial services/Crown would no longer be involved.

They are not at all obligated to release any part of the video that KM and BS recorded to anyone, especially the public at large. They don't have to provide photo exhibits. They don't have to offer any raw data, only describe it. The final report will be most likely be text-only.

Thank you for your comments.
But it appears that there is no independent and hopefully objective third party that will review all the evidence and the RCMP’s conclusions and determine whether it supports what the RCMP concludes. If this is the case it doesn’t seem right to me, I think some independent verification would be appropriate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member