Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this time, I have been so baffled by posters who really, sincerely believed that K and B were not the killers of Chynna and Lucas, but never did any of them say why this belief was so concrete. Would any care to share that now? This is a genuine , respectful enquiry, absolutely no sarcasm or snark in it.

I thought it was just me! I read tons of comments on FB, under articles about people thought these nice boys weren't capable... Ummm ok, because why? I could list at least 10 crimes from 'nice young men'. I'm not being sarcastic either, I was really shocked at all the disbelief.

...... Professor Dyck was found dead and his car was missing, regardless of if they knew his identity ......

...... But why risk the public's safety? ......

...... Bryer's missing person photo was of him wearing camo! I mean there was clear evidence of "identification behavior" ......

SBM/BBM

First: How would they "know" that Prof Dyck even HAD a vehicle (let alone missing), if they did not even know who he was at the time? For all the RCMP could have "possibly" known/suspected "at that time" was that the body they found "could" have been that of a vagrant/hitchhiker.

Second: Maybe because IF they had been innocent (there was no evidence "at this time", that they were not) and prematurely released the "do not approach" statement, possibly some self serving vigilante could have "shot first, asked questions later"?

Third: I have two sons, both of whom used to loved to wear camo - neither of them come anywhere NEAR being "evidence of identification behaviour" .... you honestly cannot arrive to that conclusion from a "photo"

At the top of the RCMP’s public report it says:

“This overview is a summary of the totality of the investigative findings. The information is based on a review of digital and physical evidence to date, including statements, tips and forensic examination reports”.

The question remains, will the public ever get to view the full report.

I thought I read that this was the RMP's final presser, so who, if anyone, is likely to publish the full report.

I guess you have greater faith in humanity than I do. I tend to trust that when a poster posts something that makes them sound like a raging lunatic, that that is how they are comfortable being perceived. I tend to take people at their word.

"Most cases that result in guilty verdicts are based on circumstantial evidence."

I don't believe this, do you have a link? For sure some evidence in a lot of cases is circumstantial.

I am not a lawyer or a legal scholar, I have never been selected for a jury or gone through the selection process. However, I would gladly bet my lunch that at any jury selection process in any court in Canada, if a juror candidate said that they believed someone was guilty of murder because they were driving away from police in a murder-victim's stolen car, that person would be excused from jury selection. 100%
As to the bolded, yes they would be excused from jury selection. So no need to worry about members here who want too express their opinions. ;)

I have been on a jury before, and I was able to clear my mind and start from scratch during the trial. I think most members here would be able to do that, unless there was something particularly triggering not them personally , in that specific case.

Without a doubt, Kam was a full-blown, cold-blooded psychopath. Bryer probably lower on the spectrum, but still definitely psychotic, and under Kam's control.

I have encountered single killers at this level a few times over the years, but never two who worked together, nor any so young. These encounters involved allowing their children's visitation with spousal approval, because in the Canadian justice system, they have the right to appeal, despite the odds against them.

They will smile at you all teeth, and soft soothing voice, but their eyes are completely dead, as they look you directly in the eye. I was always completely aware that if not for the handcuffs, shackles and armed guard beside them that silencing me, and my questions, would give them the greatest pleasure.

yikes creepy!

Bears repeating. Two people very close to me worked in that area, one of whom was raised on the prairies with a stereotype of indigenous people from the local reserves. When as an adult he worked side-by-side with the Cree in Northern Manitoba he developed a deep and profound respect for their culture and admiration of their spirituality and belief in their oneness with the world. We have so much to learn from them.

Agreed. I grew up in an area and had many First Nations friends and always appreciated and admired them and their culture here in Canada (and USA).

Mr. Beardy and the raven story is stuff of legend! I do hope he gets official recognition as others have said :)

'Hackett said the pair was “cold” and “remorseless” when describing the killings.'

I think I completely missed all along that not only had they admitted to the murders, they had actually described them, on video tape.

God Almighty, they were still full of it, still in euphoria, still on a high about it, they had not come down at all. They were indeed, rushing joyously to their finale.

'Sarah Leamon, the lawyer for Schmegelsky’s father, Alan, said her client does not wish to view the other videos, saying they only confirm theories he’s been thinking about “for some time.”

She added they are waiting for behavioural analysts to conduct further investigations into why Schmegelsky and McLeod may have committed the crimes, in the hopes of answering more of their questions.'

AS thinking about theories 'for some time' sounds a bit ominous. I expect an outpouring of 'theories' some time soon. Especially since he had those theories without actually seeing all the clips.

Sadly, I don't think any behavioral analysts conclusions are going to advance knowledge any further, except minimally, and that only to one who is willing to receive that dispassionate view. Because if the origin of Bryer's problem doesn't go back to his mother, then for AS it's all bets off and off to another behavioral analyst.

Since KM purchased a rifle at Cabela's in July 2019, I think it was assumed the 2nd gun belonged to BS. (Assembled by BS was alleged by AS, but RCMP declined to confirm AS statement).

B.C. teen killers hatched plan to hijack a boat and escape to Africa. It ended in suicide instead

Still, Leamon explained, Al Schmegelsky wants more information, including on how his son came to possess what RCMP described to him as an “assault rifle” that Bryer apparently built on his own, Leamon said.

I'm shocked the lawyer even made a suggestion that BS "apparently" built the gun. I guess that's why I don't put much stock in her comments.

From this link: ‘We don’t know’: Families left with questions after RCMP report on northern B.C. murders

"Alan Schmegelsky could not speak to his son's relationship with McLeod, or whether one of them may have been the "ringleader."

He also doesn't know where the second gun may have come from, or if his son possibly built the gun himself.

"They're already saying he had it," he said. "Does that mean he built it, or did Kam have it? We don't know."

I think AS is as curious as everyone else in Canada to find out how they came to possess that rifle.

Last edited:
I think I completely missed all along that not only had they admitted to the murders, they had actually described them, on video tape.

That's not what it says in the report. In the report it says: "These videos do not contain any information regarding the motive behind their actions nor do they provide specifics regarding the murders."

I cant recall who posted it, ( it was a well spotted effort ) but it was along the lines of Al Schmels lawyer, who told reporters that Al had said the RCMP told him that Kam shot Bryer in the back of the head.

Which , no doubt, will fuel Al for the rest of his life.

It came from the National Enquirer, or National Daily, something like that.

It had a genuine ring of truth to it, in that it was just the kind of thing that AS would do, break a NDA and what he'd say.
But Al is the only person who has said that publicly so far.

I am not sure I buy it, totally.

Did the RCMP really say that or did he misconstrue or even manufacture it himself?

It was tracked and found to have been stolen a few years earlier in a burglary that occurred in a different province. Then clearly it was sold on the black market. They don't know exactly how he got it though.

So it was traceable because it was able to be reported stolen at one time. I looked at Wiki for the Danforth and the killers’ brother had loads of stolen guns so that is the assumption of where the shooter got it from and the history traces it to Saskatchewan.

Wishful thinking they get a lead on this piece now that it’s out.

ETA. Typos

Last edited:
That's not what it says in the report. In the report it says: "These videos do not contain any information regarding the motive behind their actions nor do they provide specifics regarding the murders."
On the website on my post, as I type, I am watching a fully togged out RCMP inspector, or General, perhaps, name of Hackett, who says, unequivocally, that they DESCRIBED the murders.

I am prepared to put my beliefs in Inspector Hackett, thanks. He looks the real thing, to me.

After you've watched that, feel free to get back to me.

Of course, it could be a conspiracy.. Someone has hi-jacked an RCMP uniform , with all the scrambled egg of an Inspector, plonked him down and made him lie to the public, sure, sure, I understand.

But he looks very real. Take a peek yourself.

'Hackett said the pair was “cold” and “remorseless” when describing the killings.'

Yes, they were probably proud of what they did and, like some serial killers, want to take public credit for their "work". Like BTK (Dennis Rader), they wanted publicity for their crimes. They wanted to be famous and to ensure no one else got "credit", they probably gave enough details in the videos to ensure LE would have no doubt.

They would be disappointed to know LE squelched their attempts to "influence" any other crazies in the general public to copy their crimes. No going out in a blaze of glory for them.

I wonder if their later videos were becoming incoherent, as by that time they would have been suffering from exposure, bug bites, lack of enough clean water or food, etc. Some of their talk on the videos may have been crazy ramblings.

On the website on my post, I am as I type, I am watching a fully togged out RCMP inspector, or General, perhaps, name of Hackett, who says, unequivocally, that they DESCRIBED the murders.

I am prepared to put my beliefs in Inspector Hackett, thanks. He looks the real thing, to me.

After you watched that, feel free to get back to me.

So you're saying the official report is lying? What would be the reason for the police to lie on an official report?

I wonder if their later videos were becoming incoherent, as by that time they would have been suffering from exposure, bug bites, lack of enough clean water or food, etc. Some of their talk on the videos may have been crazy ramblings.

There were crazy, incoherent ramblings from Video 1 onwards, by the sound of it. I think the entire series of videos was most likely deeply bizarre on every level.

B.C. RCMP Assistant Commissioner Kevin Hackett … this is my guy, who says Kam and Bry described the killings. Not a report, not a rumour but what AC K. Hackett said, on video , straight up.

"Described" is a vague term. It could mean any sort of description, from "we shot and killed the couple and the old guy," onward.

"Did not provide specifics regarding the murders" is a pretty clear statement indicating, well, exactly what it says. There would be absolutely no reason for the police to lie and say they "did not provide specifics regarding the murders," if they actually did. What would be the reason to make a definitive statement like that on an official comprehensive police report, if that statement was untrue?

Also, the videos aren't that long. There wasn't much time for describing the murders in detail on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj