Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess "Major Crimes Unit" didn't evoke anything in Dyck's mind as a local Canadian or he may have been more careful on who he interacted with. "Major Crimes Unit" doesn't tell people what kind of people or scenarios to be on the lookout for.

Unfortunately people who head into wilderness areas often don’t actively follow the news. Getting away from it all is one of the attractions.

I agree. Although Gillam has received media attention at it was the RCMP search base, there’s no reports that the two were ever sighted there. Split Lake was the location of last sighting before that, but the RAV4 was found burning near the Fox Lake Cree Nation, appx 166km NE and at least 2 hours by vehicle up the road beyond Gillam. So that’s the site of their last known location, aside from the remote chance the vehicle was driven there by somebody else or they had a 2nd vehicle. But the band constable at Split Lake was checking vehicles as they passed through so that strongly negates that possibility IMO.

I can't provide links, so this is what I've read online from unsubstantiated sources: the two were apparently given rides from two different people in that area. Those are the two Gillam sightings. AFAIK.

I believe LE is still there for a reason.

No one was seen at the dump.

People at York Landing thought that the suspects could follow the hydro lines from Fox Lake Cree Nation (where the vehicle was burned) to York Landing, and that no one was protecting them. They were so afraid that the Bear Clan was asked to go from Winnipeg to the community to help them feel safe. As soon as the Bear Clan arrived, residents reported that the suspects were in the area.

Just because fearful people imagine that a bear is a person, it doesn't mean the claim is credible.

The Bear clan members themselves (multiple people) said they saw two tall thin white men in the dump, one wearing camo. I heard interviews with at least 2 members corroborating the story.

Why do you say no one was seen at the dump? where are you getting that information?

I am packing up and heading out on my cross Canada road trip today. I am not letting two punks deter me. I have tremendously enjoy the discussions on here and felt the frustrations, stress as probably most have. I sincerely hope the suspects are captured alive soon, if they are not already deceased. If they are hiding out in someone’s basement, I hope they man up and come out and face the music.

Cheers all ... see you in a few weeks at which time I hope there will be positive developments.

OOhm ,Tarika- take photos of every odd thing or person you see and send them to a friend or another account so we can track what happens to you.

Thinking more about the condition of the bodies.

Don’t we have conflicting accounts here?

No obvious wounds from the person who secured the scene, and reports of an open casket being out of the question?

Or am I mistaken?
I'm on my phone and cant link to the video. But in a filmed interview, the highway worker who had to watch the bodies for 4 hours mentioned a small hole on LF's side in his abdomen. People were calling it "gut shot," but I envision that as lower down and more central than where he pointed.

He mentioned blood bubble around CD's mouth and made vague gestures around his face before trailing off and commenting on how he didn't know how someone could do that to someone else. Since CD's family have been the one who specifically said they were told no open casket funeral and nobody in LF's family said that, I think he was trying to be respectful by not spelling out what he saw, but it is consistent with her sustaining some sort of horrible facial injury when she was killed. Whether it was just because she was shot in the face or additional injuries beyond that, I don't know. It didn't sound like damage from animals scavenging, based on his reaction.

Edited to add: he gestured around the side of his face, by his jaw.

MOO

The townsite of Cold Lake borders Cold Lake. CFB Cold Lake is about 12km away. There’s no way the two would get access to the base. It appears they didn’t even have the sense to know not to drive into muddy fields.
Yes, and they didn't have good driving skills or they wouldn't have trashed their pick-up and camper or the RAV 4. They are incompetent & running on adrenaline. Maybe it was a lie they told their families about looking for work, when all the time they wanted to go on a killing spree.

A member of the Manitoba Trappers Association told Canada's APTN National News the climate and topography were tricky. He also said traplines — routes along which hunters set traps for animals — ran for hundreds of kilometres across the region, and could be a problem for the fugitives. "No-one's checking them [the traps] right now."

Bear Clan Patrol spots fugitive Canadian teens 'scavenging for food' in remote dump

Wouldn’t that be something, being caught in a trap on a line that no-one’s checking. What a way to die, and it would be slow. They could easily become prey in a situation like that. No food, no shelter, being bitten by hordes of bugs and just lying there hoping a bear or something else doesn't attack them.
That's ridiculous, trapping is not allowed in the summer. And you can't leave traps unattended and not check them. That member seems to be looking for attention.

Thank you.

Yet they've been charged with killing LD.

So, there is still a possibility they aren't associated with the couple's murder.

They’re still suspected in that though.

The evidence may be stronger in the LD case, and with those charges already filed, it’s probably not necessary to rush any additional ones.

That’s correct. It was characterized as “heated,” but the article also mentioned “frustrated.”

I’m not reading much into this, and don’t think it’s in any way connected.

A witness viewing an interaction may not understand the context.

Every witness is going to have (atleast) a slightly different interpretation of what they are seeing.

These two are suspected of that crime, which means that this guy just can’t be involved.

I’m sure that multiple people interacted with this couple, and those events just weren’t independently spotted.

Besides that, Leonard was killed quite a distance away, and on a different day.
Perhaps the "bearded man" Hull was talking about was actually KM. After all, he is bearded (short beard). And the drawing of the cap looks like a "Fidel Castro" type of cap, which is also the type worn with camo-style clothing. Maybe the cap belongs to BS.

Last edited:
I am packing up and heading out on my cross Canada road trip today. I am not letting two punks deter me. I have tremendously enjoy the discussions on here and felt the frustrations, stress as probably most have. I sincerely hope the suspects are captured alive soon, if they are not already deceased. If they are hiding out in someone’s basement, I hope they man up and come out and face the music.

Cheers all ... see you in a few weeks at which time I hope there will be positive developments.
Wishing you an absolutely awesome trip Tarika, relax, reflect and refresh, will miss your posts!

First time posting on here. I'm Canadian in BC and have been following this story. One confusing thing to me is how and why they seemed to be going in circles according to the time line. It doesn't really make sense to me that they would go from Port Alberni OR Whitehorse (either way) to Liard Hotsprings and then back in the direction they came to where their vehicle was found near Dease Lake. If they had wanted to go to Alberta they would have continued East from Liard Hotsprings, not back in the other direction. It makes me wonder if the two deaths/murders are connected at all. I have tried looking into HOW exacty Leonard Dyke died - was it gunshot wound? From what I find it just says his body was found with no other details. He could have died of a heart attack with that information. He could have been driving along and started to feel that he was having a heart attack, gets out of his car to flag down help and collapses. The teens could have come along, found his vehicle and taken it out of opportunity and then set theirs on fire. For all we know they're on the run thinking it's for a stolen vehicle without any clue everyone believes they are also murder suspects. Although they most likely had access to a radio in that vehicle so this could be a very incorrect idea but just thought I'd throw an alternate theory out there.

I have trouble comprehending why two young men who told their families they were heading off to seek employment in Whitehorse (or Red Deer, depending on who they told) would instead steal a vehicle from a dying or dead man and take off toward northern Manitoba.

And if they’d run because they stole a vehicle, running because they also caused the man’s death would be a much stronger incentive. JMO

I guess "Major Crimes Unit" didn't evoke anything in Dyck's mind as a local Canadian or he may have been more careful on who he interacted with. "Major Crimes Unit" doesn't tell people what kind of people or scenarios to be on the lookout for.

Fowler and Deese were found by civilians on a remote stretch of highway on July 15 at 7:20 p.m. The police apparently arrived at about 11:00 pm, and by 11:00 a.m. the next morning, probably having worked through the night, the RCMP issued a statement that its “Major Crimes Unit” had been brought in to investigate the deaths.

The key thing was to get out a bulletin. At that point, the RCMP had no way of knowing “what kind of people were involved” or “scenarios” to look out for. Indeed, the people who ultimately became suspects were initially thought to be missing.

It is completely beyond me what there is to criticize about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
They even told him their full, real names. They must have been confident at that point that they were not being chased as suspects yet? So perhaps had found ways to check on the news? I think they had been at least listed as missing at that time, though, right? Maybe they figured if the guy seemed to know who they were, they would just kill him? Thank goodness for that man it ended well. MOO

The strangest thing about that news item was that the witness said the suspects gave their full names. Who does that? Usually, when you meet a stranger, you volunteer your first name, not your full name.

Have fun and stay safe :)

I wonder if they were incapable of driving that particular truck. Trucks in rural areas are seldom automatics and there aren't many young people that know how to drive them.

Neither looks to me like they're overly capable of overpowering someone or skilled fighters so they may have lacked the confidence to even try. I may be alone in my opinion but I think the firearm they used previously had a limited amount of ammo or they ditched it quite a while ago. There was a gap before they were connected to the murders and I suspect the would have been concerned about being found with a key piece of evidence.

AFAIK it has never been confirmed that these 2 guys actually had a firearm (aside from the air gun theu used for their games in the bush at home). They have not been charged in the double murder, which evidently involved gun violence. I don't believe the cause of death in the single murder has ever been made public. Have I missed something?

I can't provide links, so this is what I've read online from unsubstantiated sources: the two were apparently given rides from two different people in that area. Those are the two Gillam sightings. AFAIK.

I believe LE is still there for a reason.

I’m thinking the two Gillam sightings referred to the two Split Lake sightings (gas station and band constable) and the general reference to Gilliam included the entire broad area in general.

I don’t recall the RCMP ever confirming the two were given rides. Only the possibility was suggested. But if you have a link I’d appreciate it because I can’t find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$