Found Deceased Canada - May Milling, 81, Jasper, AB, 2 Sept 2010

That could well be it. It seems to be where the road is closest to the river.

Catching up in this thread, so sorry if this has been discussed.

from: http://www.fitzhugh.ca/news/2053-car-crash-site-possibly-that-of-missing-person-may-milling

On Saturday Oct.16, the Clearwater RCMP detachment received a report of a found wallet belonging to May Milling along the North Thompson River. The wallet was found along a side channel, almost one kilometre away from the main flow of the river. The channel is almost one kilometre from the highway, and the closest point where the river runs alongside the highway is 20-30 kilometre upstream.

Maybe i'm missing something here, but ..

That's one amazing little wallet to have found it's way from the Mad River crash site, 20-30 kms downstream, tossing and tumbling in the mighty waters of the N. Thompson River, hanging a turn into that convenient little ol' channel, toughing its way 1 km further up the channel, and still have enough energy left to cling near or clamber onto the shoreline so a passerby could find it.

Okay, what'd i miss?

Catching up in this thread, so sorry if this has been discussed.

from: http://www.fitzhugh.ca/news/2053-car-crash-site-possibly-that-of-missing-person-may-milling

Maybe i'm missing something here, but ..

That's one amazing little wallet to have found it's way from the Mad River crash site, 20-30 kms downstream, tossing and tumbling in the mighty waters of the N. Thompson River, hanging a turn into that convenient little ol' channel, toughing its way 1 km further up the channel, and still have enough energy left to cling near or clamber onto the shoreline so a passerby could find it.

Okay, what'd i miss?

I don't know, but is that lil ol' side channel closer to, say, Pye Road? Anyone?

Here's a map showing a bunch of side channels along the river. The forked road in the centre is Pye Road:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....57771,-119.805737&spn=0.032217,0.104284&z=14

If you zoom in really closely on the left hand side of the fork, you'll see some outbuildings. This is within the 20-30 km distance downstream of the crash site at Mad River, as described by RCMP.

Does anyone know who does the highway maintenance in that area? I still think it would be a good idea for LE to contact whoever it is. By coincidence, I've found just such a company on Pye Road in Vavenby, with another location in Clearwater. I'm not sure if they would do maintenance in the areas in question, though.

Please bear with me, t's late here, so apologies for stupid questions:
- do we know where the wallet and car registration papers were found?
- which way does the NTRiver flows? I'm guessing eastbound, right?
so were the 'items' found close to Vavenby?
Good night!

Good night!
<bbm>

The North Thompson starts up in the Cariboo Mountains (east of Wells Gray Park) and flows primarily in a southwesterly direction to meet up with the South Thompson River at Kamloops.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/593027/Thompson-River?anchor=ref117775

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ThompsonRiverBritishColumbia_Location.png

From Summer's first link:

Tree&#8217;s 1993 Lincoln Town Car was witnessed turning north onto the Yellowhead Highway not long after he was reported missing Oct. 5.

Hwy 16 (Yellowhead Hwy) doesn't come down to Kamloops. It is north of Wells Gray Provincial Park and runs basically east/west. If that siting of Tedd's car is valid, he would have driven approx 340 kms north from Kamloops, up either Hwy 5 or Hwy 97, to meet up with Hwy 16 ... Kelowna is south of Kamloops. If he took the Hwy 5 route, he would have been driving in the opposite direction, but on the same route that May Milling's car is believed to have gone off the road.

From Summer's first link:

Hwy 16 (Yellowhead Hwy) doesn't come down to Kamloops. It is north of Wells Gray Provincial Park and runs basically east/west. If that siting of Tedd's car is valid, he would have driven approx 340 kms north from Kamloops, up either Hwy 5 or Hwy 97, to meet up with Hwy 16 ... Kelowna is south of Kamloops. If he took the Hwy 5 route, he would have been driving in the opposite direction, but on the same route that May Milling's car is believed to have gone off the road.

Correct. Strangely enough in that first link, his son talked about his father enjoying the drive from Kamloops to Avola, which is north of where May Milling's car is believed to have crashed into the river. Tree's car was last seen by a friend, heading north on the Yellowhead. His family looked for him along that stretch of highway, but found nothing. Maybe he didn't head to Kelowna after all? Maybe the family knows more than they're saying, or the siting on the Yellowhead was incorrect. I think he may have been seen at Kamloops, turning onto the highway that leads north to Clearwater, and the siting was more of a mis-statement. Kamloops is the turnoff point for the various highways, and it would be easy for someone who is not familiar with those turnoffs to take the wrong exit. Mr. Tree, however, was a local, and familiar with the roads. And I could be wrong. Surely his friends would recognize him in his car, which is not a common one these days (discontinued line), assuming they are truthful.

Both May Milling and Tedd Tree were driving larger model sedans, although his was old.

<bbm>

The North Thompson starts up in the Cariboo Mountains (east of Wells Gray Park) and flows primarily in a southwesterly direction to meet up with the South Thompson River at Kamloops.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/593027/Thompson-River?anchor=ref117775

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ThompsonRiverBritishColumbia_Location.png

Here's the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_River

It joins the Fraser River, which empties into the Pacific Ocean at Vancouver. It's west of the continental divide. Rivers east of the continental divide do not flow into the Pacific Ocean.

Here's a question: why didn't the RCMP come right out and say "Vavenby", because that is what they're saying, in effect. The non-mention of Vavenby makes it stick out even more. I also can't understand how they knew where to look for the place where her car apparently left the road. But then again, I tend to read between the lines.

It's been over two weeks since they located the crash site and sent divers in the river unsuccessfully. Surely they could get a boat with sonar equipment if the water is still too deep and murky for the divers.

Good night!

There are no stupid questions, Hazel.

You make a good point. The wallet was apparently found 20-30 kilometres downstream from the crash site. The registration papers were found on the river's edge (where have I heard that term before?) at the place where the car left the road. So the wallet and registration were found quite some distance apart. I think Valleyboy has some good questions. Was the wallet dry? What was in it?

So in answer to the last question, neither the wallet nor the registration papers were found in Vavenby itself. Could you please repost your map, showing the crash site and 30 kms downstream (that's somewhere near Pye Road, and the side channels of the river). Not sure why the RCMP is giving such a big range of 10 kms. Is that by road or by river? The information is purposely vague, IMO.

Seeing it is a fast moving river I wonder how many miles

the car would have travelled before it sank.

Highway 5 is also called "Southern Yellowhead Highway". This may be what Tedd Tree's friends meant.

Without reposting all the links in this thread, here's my take on the distances:

RCMP said the crash scene was exactly 40 kms north of Clearwater, on a "relatively straight" stretch of road. This would make it slightly east of point B on the map posted here, which is where the Mad River joins the North Thompson River. May Milling's vehicle registration, some glass and parts of a broken taillight were found here.

Her wallet was found 20-30 kms. downstream, on the river's edge along a side channel that is about one kilometre from Highway 5. This would place it somewhere between Pye Road but no closer than 10 kms. from Clearwater.

What are the chances of a heavier car, like May Milling's Buick, shooting the rapids at Mad River? I'm thinking the point B is between Hazel's and Zort's.

Please feel free to amend this information.

Here's the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_River

It joins the Fraser River, which empties into the Pacific Ocean at Vancouver. It's west of the continental divide. Rivers east of the continental divide do not flow into the Pacific Ocean.

Here's a question: why didn't the RCMP come right out and say "Vavenby", because that is what they're saying, in effect. The non-mention of Vavenby makes it stick out even more. I also can't understand how they knew where to look for the place where her car apparently left the road. But then again, I tend to read between the lines.
Thank you SB and Summer for the Geography lessons :) LOL, So, where exactly were the wallet and car registration found? LOLOLOL ... Vavenby?

Summer, I'm like you, I do also tend to 'read between the lines' and I also tend to 'see' things, like, hey!! are those skid marks heading directly into the river, or is that just my imagination? Also, why do those cement barriers end at that point?

Check this out: (where the Mad River meets the North T. River) = http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Vavenby+Bridge+Rd&daddr=Southern+Yellowhead+Hwy%2FBC-5+N&hl=en&geocode=FaAcEwMdLBfd-A%3BFZB3FAMda-ze-A&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&sll=51.657223,-119.496231&sspn=0.197224,0.514297&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=51.672981,-119.60841&spn=0.261455,0.727158&z=11&layer=c&cbll=51.672981,-119.60841&panoid=12d1OQobXH9hJX5vAi6opA&cbp=12,225,,0,5

BTW, what a beautiful country Canada is!!!!

Thank you SB and Summer for the Geography lessons :) LOL, So, where exactly were the wallet and car registration found? LOLOLOL ... Vavenby?

Summer, I'm like you, I do also tend to 'read between the lines' and I also tend to 'see' things, like, hey!! are those skid marks heading directly into the river, or is that just my imagination? Also, why do those cement barriers end at that point?

Check this out: (where the Mad River meets the North T. River) = http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Vavenby+Bridge+Rd&daddr=Southern+Yellowhead+Hwy%2FBC-5+N&hl=en&geocode=FaAcEwMdLBfd-A%3BFZB3FAMda-ze-A&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&sll=51.657223,-119.496231&sspn=0.197224,0.514297&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=51.672981,-119.60841&spn=0.261455,0.727158&z=11&layer=c&cbll=51.672981,-119.60841&panoid=12d1OQobXH9hJX5vAi6opA&cbp=12,225,,0,5

Thanks. Maybe the friendly road maintenance crews were able to guide the RCMP to the crash site. Extra eyes and ears help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back