CANADA Canada - Melanie Ethier, 15, New Liskeard, Ont, 29 Sept 1996

joe1-e1579995849409.jpg

The disappearance of Melanie Ethier has been an agonizing mystery for almost 25 years. OPP
WARMINGTON: OPP hope to turn up heat on cold case
Updated: January 25, 2020 7:02 PM EST
''Somewhere in the one-kilometre between Melanie Ethier’s New Liskeard home and her friend’s house lay the secrets of what happened to her.''

''As the video reveals, the movie binge was supposed to be held in Melanie’s room. But the teen’s mom, Celine, said because her daughter’s room was messy, they shifted to her buddy’s house.''

''The five kids at the friend’s house, including a boyfriend, saw her leave.

Police searched for miles — including a nearby river — and came up with nothing.''

''One friend noticed a car with headlights idling nearby. Matthews said it could be “nothing” or maybe “something.”

''Do you know something? If you were in the town, or know someone who may have been travelling along the Trans Canada highway at the time, and who has knowledge of the crime, contact the OPP.

“It can take just one phone call,” said Matthews.''

Last edited:
From link, thanks.. rbbm.

''When police don’t arm the public with information, Angela said people come up with all kinds of ideas about what happened.

Years after Melanie’s disappearance, OPP said a friend with her the evening of Sept. 28 left the Pine Avenue residence an hour before Melanie did, and was startled by a car she considered so suspicious she ran home.

OPP also later said a witness placed Melanie on the Armstrong Street bridge around the time she left the house on Pine Avenue, heading west.''

The 25 year anniversary of Melanies disappearance has created huge renewed interest. let’s work together to find Melanie Facebook page now has 8000+ members.
There is a lot of people needing answers, none more than her mother and sister...very sad story for a small town.

The Police have released so few details it’s upsetting...
After listening to the Shedding Light podcasts and reading as much as I can...the details are sketchy at best. The ladies did their best to ask some good questions..but I wasn’t impressed with the authorities answers.

The only thing I know for a fact is that the people in the house Melanie left, were completely cleared.
I don’t know what the sniffer dogs did...I don’t know if others were polygraphed..don’t know if the sighting on the bridge is legit..came in so many years later.
In my opinion..the tip that came in 2000 which led the police to search a dump and find “exhibits” relating to Melanie’s disappearance...was a very credible tip..but who did it lead them to?
They must know.
Sad that there’s no answers.

The 25 year anniversary of Melanies disappearance has created huge renewed interest. let’s work together to find Melanie Facebook page now has 8000+ members.
There is a lot of people needing answers, none more than her mother and sister...very sad story for a small town.

The Police have released so few details it’s upsetting...
After listening to the Shedding Light podcasts and reading as much as I can...the details are sketchy at best. The ladies did their best to ask some good questions..but I wasn’t impressed with the authorities answers.

The only thing I know for a fact is that the people in the house Melanie left, were completely cleared.
I don’t know what the sniffer dogs did...I don’t know if others were polygraphed..don’t know if the sighting on the bridge is legit..came in so many years later.
In my opinion..the tip that came in 2000 which led the police to search a dump and find “exhibits” relating to Melanie’s disappearance...was a very credible tip..but who did it lead them to?
They must know.
Sad that there’s no answers.

Yes ! Community awareness found a voice and the conversations continue … Melanie’s mom Celine continues to affirm that Melanie deserves to be found ; and recently posted this letter on ‘Help Find Melanie Ethier’ Facebook page. Community members will gather and walk this weekend.
Few details have been released by LE but their search at the McGarry landfill in 2000 was reported by local media and I understood that the search was related to tracing whether or not a POI was in the area at the time of Melanie’s disappearance and the exhibits found were related to whether or not he was there in 1996.
I’m sure there could be a number of reasons LE identified McGray as a POI, but Kate Lines did mention Melanie’s disappearance in her book Crime Seen and wrote about assigning criminal profiler, Jim Van Allen for Melanie. I think it’s reasonable to think that LE have a suspect profile …. maybe they do know.

Attachments

• edit.jpg
    edit.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 11
Yes ! Community awareness found a voice and the conversations continue … Melanie’s mom Celine continues to affirm that Melanie deserves to be found ; and recently posted this letter on ‘Help Find Melanie Ethier’ Facebook page. Community members will gather and walk this weekend.
Few details have been released by LE but their search at the McGarry landfill in 2000 was reported by local media and I understood that the search was related to tracing whether or not a POI was in the area at the time of Melanie’s disappearance and the exhibits found were related to whether or not he was there in 1996.
I’m sure there could be a number of reasons LE identified McGray as a POI, but Kate Lines did mention Melanie’s disappearance in her book Crime Seen and wrote about assigning criminal profiler, Jim Van Allen for Melanie. I think it’s reasonable to think that LE have a suspect profile …. maybe they do know.
Exciting stuff, looks like there is some movement in Melanie's case!

Thanks, Jaaanniss.
Many people on the “Let’s work together to find Melanie” group (9000 and counting)...are trying to connect Melanies disappearance to RG and ML’s Uncle, Gregory Crick, who was found guilty of murder in 2000.
He murdered LG and RG (his own nephew)...both in 1996, in Kenebeek area.
He’s sitting in jail...out in 2025
I feel that in his sick, evil mind, Crick had reason to kill LG and then RG six months later....but what would be his reason to kidnap and kill Melanie?
Seems to me, yes, he was found guilty of 2 murders but he has always only admitted to accessory after the fact...he seems more cowardly..getting his nephew(s) to kill with him..so he can put the blame on them...would he kill Melanie?? Why? Unless, by September 28/29 he was a loose cannon.
I would love to see Jim Van Allen’s profile of Melanie’s killer.
Interesting, is that Crick was in Brantford in Sept. 1996.... was questioned by the police about LG’s murder (RG wasn’t killed yet)..said to the cops he needed a month to get it together.(??).Went back up north...leaving Brantford on September 27...Melanie went missing September 29..2 am...In Nov. Crick.killed his nephew RG to silence him.
Police profess to wire taps, tailing him, questioning him regarding LG’s murder (that happened in spring of 1996)..
So..my question would be.... they must know where Crick was the night of Melanie’s disappearance..they must know at least what car the guy drove.
if the,police were really watching Crick..they would have caught him predigging his nephews grave.
They finally arrested him right before Christmas...along with ML...his other nephew.

but..what would the profiler say about Melanies disappearance.
If you want my honest truth..I do NOT feel she was taken off the Armstrong bridge...I actually have a hard time getting her that far...
The only people I have cleared in my mind, is the boyfriend, his friend and friends parents who were in the house when Melanie left. I’ve been lead to believe they were polygraphed which helps my decision. I’m not positive the others were polygraphed, so, I haven’t cleared EVERYONE else that was with her before and during movie night at the friend’s house.
Almost Everyone is still suspect in my thinking.

Thanks, Jaaanniss.
Many people on the “Let’s work together to find Melanie” group (9000 and counting)...are trying to connect Melanies disappearance to RG and ML’s Uncle, Gregory Crick, who was found guilty of murder in 2000.
I feel that in his sick, evil mind, Crick had reason to kill LG and then RG six months later....but what would be his reason to kidnap and kill Melanie?
Seems to me, yes, he was found guilty of 2 murders but he has always only admitted to accessory after the fact...he seems more cowardly..getting his nephew(s) to kill with him..so he can put the blame on them...would he kill Melanie?? Why? Unless, by September 28/29 he was a loose cannon.
Interesting, is that Crick was in Brantford in Sept. 1996.... was questioned by the police about LG’s murder (RG wasn’t killed yet)..said to the cops he needed a month to get it together.(??).Went back up north...leaving Brantford on September 27...Melanie went missing September 29..2 am...In Nov. Crick.killed his nephew RG to silence him.
Police profess to wire taps, tailing him, questioning him regarding LG’s murder (that happened in spring of 1996)..
So..my question would be.... they must know where Crick was the night of Melanie’s disappearance..they must know at least what car the guy drove.
if the,police were really watching Crick..they would have caught him predigging his nephews grave.
They finally arrested him right before Christmas...along with ML...his other nephew.

If you want my honest truth..I do NOT feel she was taken off the Armstrong bridge...I actually have a hard time getting her that far...
The only people I have cleared in my mind, is the boyfriend, his friend and friends parents who were in the house when Melanie left. I’ve been lead to believe they were polygraphed which helps my decision. I’m not positive the others were polygraphed, so, I haven’t cleared EVERYONE else that was with her before and during movie night at the friend’s house.
Supreme Court of Canada - SCC Case Information - Summary - 32808

Thanks, Jaaanniss.

The last confirmed sighing of her was indeed on the Armstrong Bridge. The police have confirmed that. No crime scene on the bridge so it's not known if she was taken from the bridge - just that that is where the last confirmed sighting of her was.

She left from one of my in-laws homes that evening. New Liskeard is, and was a smaller, town back then. The trans-Canada runs by. There is a gas station and a bar on each corner of the street where she would have crossed the bridge. I often wonder if someone at either place saw her out there alone in the dark and seized upon the opportunity ... there are NOT many people out and about on the streets of New Liskeard at 0200hrs even today especially with the Tim Hortons and gas stations on the TCH open 24 hours (today). 2 minutes by car max from the bridge to the TCH and out of the populated area and into the vast wilderness that is the TCH. One could do it faster back then in the middle of the night with no police out and about.

A 10 minute walk. And gone. Nary a trace. This is a tough one. Next time we're up to visit Mom, I'll video the walk from start to finish that she should have taken. At some point along that route, she is just gone.

OPP Video Series Focuses on Historical and Unsolved Cases - Melanie Ethier

Last edited:
Melanie left that night by herself. The people who were there were given lie detectors.

I've never heard a description of the car given by police. I should ask.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the problem seems to be “3 suspicious vehicles that night” (not including reported bridge sightings)
The girl with the dog that left the friends group reported a white van with 2 guys asking for directions..her dog barked, scared the guys off.
Then, the video store girl says a sketchy guy in a white van came in and left.
Then, Melanie’s friend that left at 12:30 from the movie night house, for her prearranged ride, reported that a vehicle driving slow, scared her...(no description)..she ran to her ride.

So, I managed to find out enough information about Julie Fortier’s 1980 Unsolved Murder in New Liskeard, to disregard any possible connection to Melanie’s disappearance...finally. I just couldn’t disregard until I knew more.
But..statistics show that most VICTIMS know their killer....something like 87%.
I feel Melanie was tricked..not forcefully abducted...but...gone without a trace...with lots and lots of rumours.

Vern..I know you’re saying polygraphs were passed...but after listening to the Shedding Light podcast, I’m not satisfied with Officer BD’s reply to that question..in fact he doubled talked.
After checking a few things..I’m satisfied saying Melanie safely left the movie night house and those people, the two (boy) friends and the one boys parents, who stayed behind, were cleared with polygraphs.
I’m not comfortable enough to say other people were for a fact, polygraphed.
I think the police tried to pin it on the “trio from Kenebeek” but ended up with nothing...and possibly wasted precious time instead of seriously interviewing all those that had seen her in the days previous to her disappearance and residents/ business owners on Melanies walk home.
Then..on the other hand..if Crick left Brantford on Sept27, 1996 to go back to Kenebeek, then that timing is terribly suspect.
One would think that after 24 years there would be more answers...

Thanks, Jaaanniss.

The possibility of a connection between the 1996 murder of Robert Goulet and Melanie’s disappearance has been a topic among many in the New Liskeard area. When Melanie disappeared I think it was natural for this to come to mind because of the timing, and the connection between another young girl in the community also named Melanie Ethier, and Robert and his brother Micheal. Convicted of 2 murders, Gregory Crick was given a 25 year sentence in April 2000 and this situation was addressed in the Senate in June 2000 and used to counter Bill C-247 …which was amended in 2011. 2025 would be the release date, however I believe he was given time served prior to conviction and the expected release falls in 2021.

It is interesting that Crick was believed to be in Brantford in Sept. 96, it does seem there are family connections for the Crick and Laffrenier families to Brantford, and I’m sure many are watching for what community Crick returns to. I also find interest in the possible impact that Micheal was a young offender and in 1996, the practical application of that Act was relatively new. Crick was not tried at the local courthouse. In the early 70’s … prior to the changes that came in 1984 … there was a murder case heard at the Haileybury Court House, I am hesitant in sharing this information as I do not have documentation or references I could share, however I was a student at that time and was present at the trial involving a male youth and the murder of an elderly man in his home in New Liskeard… who was known to host young boys and was accused by youth of sexual crimes.

If Crick was convicted today he would not be serving his sentences concurrently. I also tend to think that if a young offender is responsible for Melanie’s disappearance and tried in present day there would be a greater possibility of knowing where Melanie’s remains could be found.

I am encouraged by the current attention and rising awareness of Melanie’s disappearance. Thanks for bringing your comments here.

I’m discouraged that so many of the members on Melanie’s page tend to think that “Michael” and his spirit box is bringing them closer to Melanie...I mean to say, I’m glad for the attention and hope being given..but it’s not giving us Melanie.
Seems that they don’t want any theories that lead away from the Uncle and Nephews and/or another local who has moved away.
I tend to want to stick to the fact that most VICTIMS know their killer....
I just can’t stop thinking that the police overlooked the killer....it was a terrible time up there in New Liskeard in 1996...dealing with the Uncle and his crew..
In my opinion....The perp was more known to the family....but WHO?

As far as I’m concerned..the police should know who was driving what back in 1996...since they were tailing Crick..they know what he was driving and they know he left Brantford on Sept 27...don’t they?

This question should not still be asked 24 years later.
No wonder this disappearance is UNSOLVED.

my question is: if 7 kids started out that night together....why did 5, then only 4 end up at the movie house? #5 left movie house somewhere between 10:30-12:30....(they must have arrived just after 10.00).
The night started with 7.
Why did some friends cut out..why didn’t they stay for movies as the original plan was?
On the shedding light podcast, the ladies interviewed an officer who worked the case...I felt his answer regarding polygraphs wasn’t straight forward enough for my liking.
I’m going to say that yes..the two boys left at the movie house and the movie house parents were polygraphed and cleared...but I wouldn’t be comfortable saying I know anyone else was, Eve though the police make it sound like no expenses were spared...they didn’t get anywhere with the investigation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back