GUILTY Canada - Melissa Richmond, 28, stabbed to death, Winchester, Ont, 24 July 2013

It sounds like she was abducted, raped and stabbed. I kind of doubt that this happened in the parking lot. I kind of think that the car ended up at that location because the person that murdered her drove it there ... it's possible that she drove there in the middle of the night to meet someone - but that doesn't seem quite right.

BBM:

Why would someone leave a car in a parking lot and risk being seen?

Was Denny's open?

Snipped for space:

I tend to agree that it was someone she knew. Not buying the stranger theory. I don't even want to write here what my suspicions are until there is difinitive evidence pointing that way.

When we talk about the number of murders committed not by someone unknown to the victim I believe we're talking about a number closer to 20%, not some insignificantly low number, IIRC.

There are courtesies often extended that could explain why a certain person hasn't been interviewed at all yet, I wouldn't rule that option out entirely (until LE has).

Put it this way: Any person being randomly murdered is extremely unlikely. Everyone knows this. However, given a person that has already been murdered the probability that the attack was random is not insignificant. Further to that, if a case ends up on a board like this one it's probably even more likely to be a random attack, since persons known to the victim often can't immediately be implicated (but usually are).

When we talk about the number of murders committed not by someone unknown to the victim I believe we're talking about a number closer to 20%, not some insignificantly low number, IIRC.

"Among solved homicides in 2011, the large majority were committed by someone known to the victim. Homicides committed by strangers accounted for 15% of all homicides. The rate of homicides committed by strangers (0.2 per 100,000 population) fell for a second consecutive year, reaching the second lowest level in over 40 years. Just over one-third (34%) of these homicides were related to drug trafficking or gangs."

So this suggests the chances of a homicide victim being killed by a completely random stranger (if she wasn't involved drug trafficking or gangs of course) in Canada in 2011 was just under 10%.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2012001/article/11738-eng.htm#a5

So who is the suspect?

Maybe if they made that public they would get some tips on where the person is.

On the other hand the suspect mustn't be the husband, I would think LE would know where he is. I don't believe he has suddenly disappeared or at least no one has suggested that he is no where to be found if he has.

JMO.

Have police said that they have a suspect?

I've never heard of a murder case where the significant other was not questioned at all. Why the hell has he not been interviewed whether he is a POI or not? I don't get it.

Being "military" might have something to do with it ... don't know.

I don't actually think it's unusual for someone, especially someone with a somewhat introverted personality, to get a bit overstimulated from being with people and want to go for a quiet drive to cool down. JMO.

I'm a bit confused about how anyone could first, be overstimulated at 11:30 at night while at home with family and, second, decide that driving in the dark is going to help.

Thanks for the link! So, since they were married for 8 years, they met through the medieval society when she was around 18 -20. They got married when she was 20 and somewhere along the way she completed the dental hygenist program. In 2012, they bought the four bedroom property, where they're currently living, for 469,00. He's now 50. There are no children. He has been deployed but it sounds like, with the PTSD, he hasn't been deployed in recent months/years.

I wonder where she went during her night drives. Her cell phone was left at home so it's possible that she didn't want her husband to bother her when she had her late night drives.

That's true, but it was unusual that she had forgotten her cell phone on that drive in particular...In very rural, sparsely populated surroundings in the middle of the night.

Did she forget her phone or leave it behind?

I'm a bit confused about how anyone could first, be overstimulated at 11:30 at night while at home with family and, second, decide that driving in the dark is going to help.

The premise of the argument is that the person has an introverted personality.

Remember, 11:30 at night right after arriving home from a night with people. Introverts tend to need some solitude in order to recharge/rebalance after spending a lot of time with people. There aren't many things that would provide a good feeling of solitude more than driving late at night in a sparsely populated rural area.

BBM:

Why would someone leave a car in a parking lot and risk being seen?

Was Denny's open?

Good question ... her body was left in the ravine next the mall parking lot where there was a Denny's. Clearly the person that did this was not concerned about the Dennys.

The premise of the argument is that the person has an introverted personality.

Remember, 11:30 at night right after arriving home from a night with people. Introverts tend to need some solitude in order to recharge/rebalance after spending a lot of time with people. There aren't many things that would provide a good feeling of solitude more than driving late at night in a sparsely populated rural area.

Was it posted somewhere that Melissa was introverted? Assuming that she was introverted, the house they have is awfully large. Surely an introverted person could find a way to have solitude without going out.

Do I have this right - her car was found by a denny's employee, in denny's parking lot and her body was found in the ravine behind denny's? So where does kelsey's come in, are the 2 restaurants close to each other?

According to reports as late as yesterday, the police still have not questioned the husband because he is not currently a suspect.

You don't have to be a suspect to be questioned .
Could it be he has a lawyer and has been told to remain silent?

Do I have this right - her car was found by a denny's employee, in denny's parking lot and her body was found in the ravine behind denny's? So where does kelsey's come in, are the 2 restaurants close to each other?

Yes. (That's Kelsey's on the left.) There's also a Wal-Mart across from Denny's which was a 24 hour location at one time but isn't currently.

Was it posted somewhere that Melissa was introverted? Assuming that she was introverted, the house they have is awfully large. Surely an introverted person could find a way to have solitude without going out.

Not at all, this was just something I inferred based on what I know about the type of people typically involved in things like SCA. In any case, the point is going for a drive late at night isn't necessarily odd or unusual. I'm quite sure nobody would appreciate being told "This house is big enough, be alone here!" if what she felt she needed to do was drive.

Yes. (That's Kelsey's on the left.) There's also a Wal-Mart across from Denny's which was a 24 hour location at one time but isn't currently.

thanks for that google map link

it really puts into perspective how large the Denny's/Kelsey's parking area is

if someone parked her car at the very rear of the lot, it would probably be out of range of surveillance cameras IMO

Honestly both my husband and I go for long drives sometimes together, sometimes alone when we need to clear our head. With her husband being home alot(I am assuming here, if he is on leave or working through his PTSD) I'd imagine they spend a lot of time at the house together. And from what I know of her friends(know a few of them) and others involved in the same groups, introverted/solitude loving is not remotely odd, and is a likely possibility imo.

I spend a lot of time at home, only working part time. It's not relaxing to me, i need air, and space, and sometimes just nothingness(ie. the drive) to soothe me. And that specific drive, which I drove tonight in fact, is always a soothing one for me.

The mall is quite large and stretches from one transit station to another(both having bus stations, but only one having an O-Train stop)

Also wanted to add that I drove through Winchester to Ottawa twice today(only on the main Hwy 31, though as I was rushing to get somewhere) and only passed minimal police, and no numbers that were out of the ordinary. However if it's true that they are on side roads, it would make sense that I wouldn't see them.

I have to say in a really awful way, I pray this is something personal, simply because it terrifies if this was someone "back home". For me there are a few scenarios some more likely than others, none involiving specific people though.

I have a hard time with it being someone from there, ie. friend/family,etc. simply because anyone from the area knows many many many places to hide a body that won't be found other than driving to the South Keys mall, with its traffic cameras, and security. It's just crazy to me, that someone from the country would not dispose of her body there, honestly, as gruesome as that is. And also where/how would someone get back from there.

The only plausible scenario I see there is someone who was an acquaintance or something similar asked if she could drive them back to the city. <--- though that seems unlikely.

Stranger/random/"witness" killing at S. Keys by someone in the area, stands out as likely in my head, even though I know it's probably not the most likely scenario.

You don't have to be a suspect to be questioned .
Could it be he has a lawyer and has been told to remain silent?

No kidding...You'd think he'd be the first guy they would want to question being the husband AND the last person to see her alive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back