CANADA Canada - Montreal, WhtMale 20s, bright red hair, 'Michel' on bracelet, Jul'11

Does "Michel" have any missing person page....RCMP....NamUs....etc.
Not that I can locate. By the way, Montréal is serviced by the SPVM rather than the RCMP. The coroner's report for Michel is still up and reachable (scroll down to page 10 to find it), and it confirms he was still unidentified as of 7 March 2014. No news since then, though.

I just think it's very sad that someone like him hasn't been identified. He was a young man, with a huge mop of bright orange hair, a French-speaking Canadian.....
he was an unusual looking person in the only French province and still know one knew him or recognised him. You'd think that part of the world wouldn't be that big. Insular. Close.

I'm guessing his life may have been troubled and full of strife, hence the suicide, and he may have been estranged from his family.

Indeed, he may not have had a family. He may not have known his father, and maybe his mother died. ..?

The last few years before he died he may have been surviving alone as best he could, until he couldn't anymore. Perhaps itinerant.

There is also a chance he could be from Quebec City or one of the minority speaking French places in Ontario or New Brunswick.

Perhaps he was in foster homes and left at 18 or sooner.

From what I can read - Michel Petit went missing in June 2012...this John Doe was found in 2011
Found the source of the confusion.. rbbm.
Michel Petit Service de police de la Ville de Montréal - SPVM
Missing Person Profile
26 avril 2011
Last Seen
Michel Petit
Person missing since: June 5, 2012
With the permission of the family and at the request of police investigators, we ask you to support our efforts by publishing this photo and description of the missing person.

This is such a challenging case. He is not a person who would go unnoticed with his bright red wavy hair and strong facial features; someone who would get a second glance. So it is unusual that no one in Quebec, even if they didn't actually know him, could say, "Oh yes, I saw that young man in the Metro, he was sitting across from me. He got off at Papineau station." Or "I saw him sitting on a park bench."

He had so few personal belongings but what he did have is probably the link to his identity. I don't know if he was a native of Quebec but he spoke fluent French so statistically we could say he was from there. I wonder if anyone has thought of submitting his DNA. Being a suicide, I suppose there is less likelihood LE are motivated to take that route.

I keep thinking about that little bracelet attached to the plain metal rings. It looks like a bracelet, either a wrist or an anklet, one would give to a newborn or a very young baby. It made me wonder if he was a foundling or a baby given up for adoption. Quebec has the most stringent rules regarding adoption policies relating to adoptees looking for their birth parents.

Quebec adoptees finally getting some long sought answers about their roots - Montreal | Globalnews.ca

It could be quite devastating to search for a birth mother only to be rebuffed. I don't think that many adoptees would be so extreme but depending on home life and circumstance you never know.

They both have only one scare and both in the same area of the same arm the height is right on. I feel like the hair is dyed look at the roots. The chin is similar even with Luke's dad. Im just saying the similarities are un canny. Also if you are going to that extreme you could take the braces yourself.

I noticed the description of the young man's clothes match those he was wearing in the photo.

It does kind of look like this photo is from either a surveillance camera or a cell phone.

I have an unpleasant feeling that this photo was taken immediately before this young man's death by suicide. To me it appears the man is sitting on a railing or guardrail that is at a height, maybe on a bridge. Sharonuk said this looks like the Jacques Cartier Bridge.

I agree with cocomod, this picture is odd. There is something about the look on this young man's face that makes me feel he is about to take his own life.

I know that's a lot to read into a very blurry picture, but it's more of an impression I get rather than something specific I can point to.

Sorry if this is a little gruesome, I hope I'm wrong about the suicide.

I just want to acknowledge how perceptive this post was. You were right, about everything.

So sad that such a recognisable man is still unidentified 10 years later. He must have been very lonely and insular.

I don’t think he was trying to avoid being recognised, or he would have removed his bracelet, and he wouldn’t have suggested to the witness to call the police. Indeed he wouldn’t have jumped in front of a witness if he was concerned about being found and identified.

Here you go.

2957623010045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Bumping with his picture.

Why oh why haven't the police tried harder to get him identified? I just don't feel like much effort has been made. His life mattered. His death matters. His sadness is palpable.
I believe he's no longer listed in Canadian databases, so there's speculation that he was identified. I emailed Montreal police about him but got a reply asking me to call them in French. We really need a French-speaking person to call.

I believe he's no longer listed in Canadian databases, so there's speculation that he was identified. I emailed Montreal police about him but got a reply asking me to call them in French. We really need a French-speaking person to call.

Azure, was the reply you got in French, or the reply asked you to call them but speak French when you do? The latter would be a touch bizarre frankly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back