GUILTY Canada - Natsumi Kogawa, 29, Vancouver, 7 Sept 2016

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]William Victor Schneider appeared in a Vernon, BC court for the unrelated ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT charge (unrelated to Natsumi Kogawa) on April 12th 2017. This incident is alleged to have happened in Vernon, BC on Sept.28th 2016 after the alleged murder of Natsumi Kogawa in Vancouver on Sept.8th 2016 for which SCHNEIDER was charged with 2nd Degree Murder on Feb.10th 2017.[/FONT]

The assault took place the same day he was arrested in Vernon, Sept. 28th 2016, in relation to Nat's death.

BC Court records SCHNEIDER intends to plead GUILTY to this ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT charge on April 27th 2017.

SCHNEIDER appeared in a Vernon court on April 26th however it was unclear of the outcome with intentions to PLEAD GUILTY to the ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT charge alleged to have occurred in Vernon on Sept.28th 2016 unrelated to Natsumi Kogawa. This Vernon charge will be dealt with at his next Vernon court appearance May 11th 2017. He remains in custody at the North Fraser Pretrial Centre in Port Coquitlam, BC at this time pending the 2nd Degree Murder charge related to Natsumi Kogawa for which he was charged with on Feb.10th 2017.

https://www..com/natsumi-kogawa

William Schneider confessed to killing Natsumi because he planned to commit suicide.

"Warren Schneider told the court that his family became suspicious that his brother was involved in the case when they saw an image circulating in news reports"

"[William] told him where to tell police to find Kogawa's body after he died."

Either the heroin he bought to overdose on wasn't strong enough, or Williams was found in time to prevent his death.

The story highlights how difficult the situation can be for the family of an accused.

Man testifies against brother accused of murdering Japanese student in 2016 | CBC News

The CBC appears to have stopped covering the trial.

Latest updates: the body, found in a suitcase in a shrub alongside a busy sidewalk in the west end, was too decayed, after two weeks, for the pathologist to determine how Natsumi died.

However, there were two prescription drugs in her system that would have caused sleepiness. Overdose can't be ruled out. There was no male DNA found on her remains.

Natsumi Kogawa had prescription drugs in her system, but cause of death unclear: Pathologist

Jury is out deliberating on this case: as far as I can tell, since Tuesday.

Just before the end of the trial, Schneider changed his plea to guilty on the charge of interfering with a body. But he pleads not guilty on 2nd degree murder. Defence claims she died, perhaps of an overdose, and Scheider simply hid the body by putting it in a suitcase and hiding it in the hedge of the Gabriola Mansion in the West end.

The crown case, IMO, is not all that strong because of lack of forensics, it will be a tough one for the jury.

Police interview released as jury deliberates in Kogawa murder trial

Man accused in murder of Japanese student admits he interfered with victim's body

Guilty!

William Schneider found guilty of 2nd degree murder in Japanese student's death | CBC News

IMO, this case was solved because Natsumi used her credit card to buy vodka when she met up with Schneider, so police were able to find good quality video of them together, and published it

It appears she was interested in having a fun, secret liaison with a local man, and didn't understand who he really was: almost 50, penniless, recently separated from his Japanese wife and child, and dependent on drugs. It's very sad, she trusted the wrong guy.

Guilty!

William Schneider found guilty of 2nd degree murder in Japanese student's death | CBC News

IMO, this case was solved because Natsumi used her credit card to buy vodka when she met up with Schneider, so police were able to find good quality video of them together, and published it

It appears she was interested in having a fun, secret liaison with a local man, and didn't understand who he really was: almost 50, penniless, recently separated from his Japanese wife and child, and dependent on drugs. It's very sad, she trusted the wrong guy.

Yes, I was very impressed by the quality of the security video footage in this case.

Kudos to Schneider’s brother for tipping off the police about the identity of the man in the video and for testifying against him during trial.

I’m sure it is a very, very difficult thing to do, but it is also the right thing to do. I am currently following a couple of cases, in which, IMO, there are family members of the POI who know more than they have said. It is very frustrating and infuriating at the same time.

Rest In Peace, Natsumi. I remember reading early on that her father passed away not long before she traveled to Canada. And IIRC, her mother attended Schneider’s trial with an interpreter. I am keeping all of them in my thoughts and prayers.

Man convicted of killing Japanese student in Vancouver to get new trial - Vancouver Is Awesome

The man convicted of second-degree murder and interfering with a body in the death of a Japanese student in Vancouver will receive a new trial.

The British Columbia Court of Appeal ruled in a split decision Tuesday to allow an appeal filed by William Schneider, who was convicted of killing 30-year-old Natsumi Kogawa.

Schneider pleaded guilty to interfering with her body, admitting that he disposed of her remains in the city's West End in 2016, but denying that he killed her.

He was convicted on both counts following a jury trial and filed an appeal, arguing the judge erred in admitting an overheard telephone conversation as evidence.

Friend of murder victim Natsumi Kogawa shocked by retrial granted to William Schneider - Vernon News

Christopher Meisner, who sat through the trial with Kogawa's mother and monitored the decision for the family back in Japan, called the split-decision ruling "ridiculous."

?The appeal judges were split in their decision, Justices Saunders and Goepel in favour, and Justice DeWitt-Van Oosten opposed.

In a written statement on behalf of the family, Meisner wrote:

"We are confident in the totality of the evidence against Schneider once a new trial is underway.

"The issue it appears that was in question was the admission of a phone call between Schneider and his long estranged ex-wife in Japan in which Schneider once again admits involvement in her death as the call was witnessed by his brother, Warren.

"Two out of three justices agreed the call should not have been admitted.

"That's the essence of the ruling. Nothing else. A phone call. All other evidence and the circumstances in which she was murdered are not questioned."

Friend of murder victim Natsumi Kogawa shocked by retrial granted to William Schneider - Vernon News

Christopher Meisner, who sat through the trial with Kogawa's mother and monitored the decision for the family back in Japan, called the split-decision ruling "ridiculous."

?The appeal judges were split in their decision, Justices Saunders and Goepel in favour, and Justice DeWitt-Van Oosten opposed.

In a written statement on behalf of the family, Meisner wrote:

"We are confident in the totality of the evidence against Schneider once a new trial is underway.

"The issue it appears that was in question was the admission of a phone call between Schneider and his long estranged ex-wife in Japan in which Schneider once again admits involvement in her death as the call was witnessed by his brother, Warren.

"Two out of three justices agreed the call should not have been admitted.

"That's the essence of the ruling. Nothing else. A phone call. All other evidence and the circumstances in which she was murdered are not questioned."
It's not stated on what grounds the phone call evidence was ruled out, but I presume it was deemed as potentially hearsay: the brother could only hear one side of the phone call, and so perhaps wasn't a direct witness, in terms of the meaning of the words.

Unfortunately, that appears to have been the only confession he made that he killed her, his stating where he hid the body doesn't necessarily lead to a murder verdict.

I wonder whether the Japanese wife would appear in court? I think the family need to brace themselves, just in case the next trial goes differently.

wonder what the telephone conversation was??

The telephone call in question was between Schneider and his long estrnaged ex-wife in Japan on the morning of Sept. 28th 2016. He had already fled Vancouver after receiveing his welfare cheque on Sept. 21st 2016 and arrived in Vernon, BC. At this point he was in Polson Park and had already been confronted by his brother Warren in relation to a "picture of you and missing Japanese student on the internet" who witnessed the call. William was attempting suicide as the murder was now catching up to him. it was not successful and he called the ex-wife. The call was 13 minutes and in that call Warren his older brother testified William was confessing. This is not the first time William admitted guilt in Natsumi's death. He also wrote his father in a letter, "It was not a premeditaed thing." and in the Oct. 18th 2016 VPD interview William mentioned "she was definitely a victim." "it suddenly got very very heated and, and went wrong." "But it is, it's my fault." "This shouldn't have happened." "The family will receive a full confession from me."

It's not stated on what grounds the phone call evidence was ruled out, but I presume it was deemed as potentially hearsay: the brother could only hear one side of the phone call, and so perhaps wasn't a direct witness, in terms of the meaning of the words.

Unfortunately, that appears to have been the only confession he made that he killed her, his stating where he hid the body doesn't necessarily lead to a murder verdict.

I wonder whether the Japanese wife would appear in court? I think the family need to brace themselves, just in case the next trial goes differently.

The call was ruled out by 2 out of 3 BC Appeal Court Justices because they felt there was too much room for speculation. DESPITE the orginal trial Justice, Madam Gerow advising the Jury, if you don't know what context the call was in - ignore it. If you feel you do know what context it's in, consider it like all other evidence. This convservation is not the only confession William made in addition to a shifting story that emerged 2 year after her murder and all other inculpatory evidence presented at trial. The long estrnaged ex-wife that left WIlliam in 2005 is not compelled to testify because she is out of jurisdiction, she can still be asked however.

Friend of murder victim tells story of Natsumi Kogawa, victim of former Vernon man Willy Schneider - Vernon News

A look at the troubled life of William Schneider, the killer of Natsumi Kogawa - Vernon News

Killer 'acted as if it was a speeding ticket,' recalls friend of murder Victim Natsumi Kogawa - Vernon News

The call was ruled out by 2 out of 3 BC Appeal Court Justices because they felt there was too much room for speculation. DESPITE the orginal trial Justice, Madam Gerow advising the Jury, if you don't know what context the call was in - ignore it. If you feel you do know what context it's in, consider it like all other evidence. This convservation is not the only confession William made in addition to a shifting story that emerged 2 year after her murder and all other inculpatory evidence presented at trial. The long estrnaged ex-wife that left WIlliam in 2005 is not compelled to testify because she is out of jurisdiction, she can still be asked however.

Friend of murder victim tells story of Natsumi Kogawa, victim of former Vernon man Willy Schneider - Vernon News

A look at the troubled life of William Schneider, the killer of Natsumi Kogawa - Vernon News

Killer 'acted as if it was a speeding ticket,' recalls friend of murder Victim Natsumi Kogawa - Vernon News
I hope the other confessions lead to another conviction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back