CANADA Canada - Noreen Greenley, 13, Bowmanville, Ont, 14 Sept 1963

noreen-anne-greenley-13-went-missing-on-sept-14-1963-in1.jpg

Noreen Anne Greenley, 13, went missing on Sept. 14, 1963 in Bowmanville, Ont. She was believed to be spotted in Calgary shortly after her disappearance but was never found. More than 50 years later, her family is hoping they can find her alive. Greenley family / Calgary Herald
----------------------

Thirteen-year-old Noreen Anne Greenley vanished without a trace while waiting at a bus stop in Bowmanville, east of Toronto.

She was believed to be spotted in Calgary several months later, but couldn’t be located.

More than 50 years later, her family still holds out hope that she will be found. And they believe an age progression sketch will help garner fresh tips in the cold case and bring her home.

“We are never giving up hope,” said Kathleen Greenley, Noreen’s sister-in-law. “Of course, the family is still hoping she is alive.”

On Sept. 14, 1963, Noreen went bowling, ate out at a restaurant, and hung out at a friend’s house. At night, she went to catch a bus, but never got on.

According to a blog detailing the case, a neighbour saw a Ford Prefect or Renault vehicle with a man in a fedora behind the wheel near the bus stop around the same time.

The Bowmanville Police Department investigated the case with several searches, but they were unable to locate the teen.

An article published in the Herald on May 26, 1964, said investigators moved the search to Calgary after receiving information that she was seen in the Mount Royal area possibly “working as a domestic.”

Kathleen said Noreen’s parents flew out to Calgary to join in the search, but could not find their daughter.

Homicide investigators reopened the case in 2005 in hopes of bringing the case back into the public eye, but no tips were received.

At the time of Noreen’s disappearance, she was as a girl of five-foot-two, 100 pounds, with a slight build and fair complexion, possibly with her hair dyed black, greyish-blue eyes and a patch of dark freckles on the upper right hand side of her lips.

Now, according to an age progression sketch, Noreen at 65 years old would have softer features, thinner lips, “but her eyes would remain the same,” said forensic artist Diana Trepkov, who drew the sketch.

“Gravity takes over. But your eyes will always follow you,” Trepkov said from her Ontario home.

Trepkov said she met the family in May when she participated in a walk they had organized to remember Noreen. She offered to do the sketch in hopes it will aid with the case.

“You can tell they’ve been through mental torture. I see their pain,” she said.

Kathleen says Noreen’s disappearance “absolutely destroyed the family.”

Noreen’s father died of an aneurysm several years after she vanished. Her mother “crawled into a bottle and was never able to pull herself back out,” Kathleen said.

Noreen’s three youngest siblings ended up in foster care because their mother could no longer look after them.

The youngest sibling, Shelley, is battling cancer and doesn’t know if she’ll live long enough to see her sister’s return.

Kathleen said relatives shed tears of joy and sadness when they saw Trepkov’s sketch, imagining how Noreen would look like now.

The family has created several Facebook pages to keep her story in the public eye, and also launched an online fundraising campaign to hire a private investigator.

“We’re trying to find her,” Kathleen said. “Noreen’s case is still open.”

LINKS:

cho@calgaryherald.com

twitter.com/clara_ho

Family hopes to find missing teen who disappeared in 1963

Fifty-six years ago this fall, a 13-year-old girl said goodnight to her friends — and then vanished.

To this day the fate of Noreen Greenley remains a mystery. That’s in spite of sustained efforts by her family and investigators, who have tried over the years to keep the story in the public’s consciousness.

“My family and I have never given up on our search to find Noreen and have the closure we have so desired and yearned for after all these years,” Noreen’s niece, Kelly Greenley, told Clarington This Week a few years ago. “My family and I feel someone knows something about her disappearance.”

The last sighting of Noreen Anne Greenley occurred Sept. 14, 1963, a Saturday night.

...SBM

One participant said it’s important to keep the story alive.

“Someone knows something about this for sure,” he said. “Some more information would be great, and people pay more attention if you publicize it. This will remind people about things and maybe something will come forward that hasn’t been available yet.”

Even after all this time, Noreen’s memory — and the questions surrounding what happened to her — resonate with her family and community, a family member told This Week.

“Noreen once was here with us,” Kelly Greenley said at the time. “She is not just an unsolved, forgotten cold case or some files of paper collecting dust in a box. She was a young, 13-year-old, vibrant girl who enjoyed baseball, skating, bowling, horseback riding and baking, and loved her family very much.”

ONTARIO COLD CASE: Family relentless in quest to bring missing teen home

Hard to reconcile determining where to dig with the belief that someone may somehow still be alive after nearly fifty-six years of no contact whatsoever after so abrupt a vanishing...seemingly simply plucked up and away from their life with no beforehand thought or planning, and at such an age as well.
I would say abduction and murder shortly thereafter. The homicide unit seems to have a more practical, non-starry-eyed view of the case.
Someone knows something indeed, but after so much time there is a chance that they are no longer alive, and murderers often take their secrets to their graves. There may though be family members still alive who have / had suspicions and they may yet come forward.
As an aside, this case reminds me a bit of one from my area that occurred a little over twenty years ago.

Hard to reconcile determining where to dig with the belief that someone may somehow still be alive after nearly fifty-six years of no contact whatsoever after so abrupt a vanishing...seemingly simply plucked up and away from their life with no beforehand thought or planning, and at such an age as well.
I would say abduction and murder shortly thereafter. The homicide unit seems to have a more practical, non-starry-eyed view of the case.
Someone knows something indeed, but after so much time there is a chance that they are no longer alive, and murderers often take their secrets to their graves. There may though be family members still alive who have / had suspicions and they may yet come forward.
As an aside, this case reminds me a bit of one from my area that occurred a little over twenty years ago.
Welcome to Ws Silent Stream!
Which 20 year old case are you referring to, maybe we already have a thread for it?

Sorry...do not know how to link, but Noreens case is in the news again....with hopes of finding her body.

Sorry...do not know how to link, but Noreens case is in the news again....with hopes of finding her body.
Thanks for the heads up! Link includes some good pics.
July 11 2019
rbbm.
ONTARIO COLD CASE: Family relentless in quest to bring missing teen home
Fifty-six years ago this fall, a 13-year-old girl said goodnight to her friends — and then vanished.

To this day the fate of Noreen Greenley remains a mystery. That’s in spite of sustained efforts by her family and investigators, who have tried over the years to keep the story in the public’s consciousness.

“My family and I have never given up on our search to find Noreen and have the closure we have so desired and yearned for after all these years,” Noreen’s niece, Kelly Greenley, told Clarington This Week a few years ago. “My family and I feel someone knows something about her disappearance.”

The last sighting of Noreen Anne Greenley occurred Sept. 14, 1963, a Saturday night."
Noreen’s brother and sister spoke to This Week journalist Jennifer O’Meara about her disappearance, and their theories about the car seen in the area when she went missing.

They said Noreen worked at a gas bar in town and that it’s possible her abductor was familiar to her. Noreen, they feared, made the fatal mistake of getting in the car.

Their sister Joyce Greenley, then 12, said she was walking with friends that night when a car swerved by, almost hitting them, and she believes she heard Noreen’s scream before the car disappeared down Holt Road. Their father and older brother chased after the car without finding it.

“I think she was abducted, raped and brutally murdered — beaten to death. That’s what I’m seeing in my mind over and over again,” said Mark Greenley, who was just three years old at the time. “I think she’s buried within a 30-mile radius of Bowmanville.”

Noreen once was here with us,” Kelly Greenley said at the time. “She is not just an unsolved, forgotten cold case or some files of paper collecting dust in a box. She was a young, 13-year-old, vibrant girl who enjoyed baseball, skating, bowling, horseback riding and baking, and loved her family very much.”

The Crime Stoppers number in Durham Region is 1-800-222-8477."

Police find no evidence at excavation into 55-year-old disappearance of Bowmanville teen
JM
By Jeff Mitchell Clarington This Week
Thu., Oct. 18, 2018

Looks like their big dig only lasted for less than a full day, and they found nothing. What a surprise - to have spent so much time excavating and then NOT finding anything! Wait, did they really dig or just say they did?

The link below does, however, have a very good information poster and photo of Noreen.

LINK:
Police find no evidence at excavation into 55-year-old disappearance of Bowmanville teen

Noreen would be about 70 if she were alive today. That means that the so called friend who was the last person to see her alive would likely be close to the same age. That friend’s boyfriend would also be of similar age. These folks have nothing to lose at this point. If they know something, it’s time to speak up. I don’t want to sound mean, but if they are still alive, they are counting down the days. It is time to bring closure to this case. The Greenley family has a right to know what happened to Noreen. Kids can act dumb and selfish. Noreen’s friend just wanted to spend time with her boyfriend. They both should have walked Noreen to the bus stop and made sure she got there safely. If something different happened to Noreen, it’s really time to speak up and tell the truth. If Noreen died accidentally during her time at the friend’s house someone has to bring closure to this case and speak up now.It’s understandable that young teens, 13 years old might have done something wrong. Mischief may have accidentally led to Noreen’s death. But as an adult, as a senior, a person knows better. Holding a family hostage in grief and pain is a conscious choice and that is far more repulsive and just plain wrong. If anyone knows what happened to Noreen, if something happened to her at the friend’s house, it’s time to get it off their chest.

If Noreen was kidnapped by someone while waiting at the bus stop or on her way to the bus stop, who was out so late at night? Did anyone’s wife or parent wonder, hey where was my family member at that time? Not everyone had a car back then like we do now. People were lucky to have one car in the family. Did anyone notice that their family car’s interior was suddenly washed for no reason or had a mat missing? Noreen was 13 when she disappeared. It would likely have been an adult who had a car and kidnapped her. That person would likely be 80 or older if they were alive. I guess I’m asking someone at least 80 or older to remember or to think back about that time. If her killer is still alive, it would be nice if they could give the family closure. I doubt they would be going to jail at their age. Clear your conscience. If you know anything, let her family know today.

Someone reported that their father confessed to Noreen's murder and that he buried her with his vehicle. I would think that LE is made up of experts and that they researched this claim extensively. However, people make mistakes. Maybe something was overlooked. How did vehicle registration work when Noreen went missing? How long are records kept? Is LE able to check if in fact this person owned this vehicle and did they remove it from insurance, remove it from registration after Noreen's disappearance? Did someone else later register the same VIN in later years, or did this vehicle suddenly vanish from records?
I can't imagine why someone would confess to a murder they didn't commit just before they die, but did anyone actually check if there was some proof that it was possible? Could they have been elderly and confused? Maybe they remembered burying the vehicle and thought she was with the vehicle, but perhaps they buried her somewhere else? Did this person frequent another location where they may have left her, a cottage area, a favourite hiking area, a park or forest near their home?

I was just reading up on this case. I found it odd with respect to the claim that Noreen left for the bus stop, waited at the bus stop for a bit, felt cold so she returned to the friend's house to get a sweater, but declined a coat, then left again without any sweater or coat. Both the female friend she was with and the friend's boyfriend (who went on to marry) are both deceased now. The female friend passed away in 2009, while the boyfriend who then became her husband died in 2017. The BF would have been about 17 at the time.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back