Found Deceased Canada - Owen Rooney, 24, Grand Forks, BC, 14 Aug 2010

What are the odds of a person surviving a vicious attack one day that leaves them bruised and bleeding from the ears, only to have that person hospitalized and disappear the next day before being formally discharged from the hospital?? I don't think those odds are great, in which case, i'm inclined to believe that the person responsible for the first attack is responsible for Owen's disappearance.

Question WRT the backpack ... IF one is admitted to hospital, aren't their personal belongings put into safekeeping at the hospital?

Paranoia is a delusional or irrational state of mind ... the assault upon Owen was very much a reality, someone was out to hurt him ... and that did not occur until approximately August 13/14th, so it had nothing to do with Shambhala.

According to the video, Owen was seen alive and well on August 13, so only a matter of hours before he was supposedly dropped off by LE at the bus depot / hospital, and a full day after he supposedly had breakfast with the couple in Grand Forks on August 12.

Between August 9 and August 13, Owen initiated at least 2 encounters with total strangers by choosing to hitchhike.There is also the one supposed occasion where he was socializing with the unknown couple. Doesn't sound like he was too afraid of anything at that point. It is important to determine who told LE or the hospital that Owen was "paranoid" after he left Shambhala, because that appears to be a lie.

I'm sure LE knows, but does anyone here know if a smashed cell phone would scuttle a forensic evaluation?

What are the odds of a person surviving a vicious attack one day that leaves them bruised and bleeding from the ears, only to have that person hospitalized and disappear the next day before being formally discharged from the hospital?? I don't think those odds are great, in which case, i'm inclined to believe that the person responsible for the first attack is responsible for Owen's disappearance.

Question WRT the backpack ... IF one is admitted to hospital, aren't their personal belongings put into safekeeping at the hospital?

Not so much safekeeping as "her'e a locker by the side of your bed, with no lock unless you brought one, knowing you'd be admitted to hospital and would need it." Modern life!

www.bclocalnews.com/news -Keremeos Review, and also monday nite his family was on tv, it would be ctv- global -cbc --BC (rabbit ears country) The family, mom, dad 2 sisters think that being small town- somebody knows something. Sillybilly looks like a private house for breakfast pic - there must be a witness to breakfast - so what do the peoples look like, who are they.?
Also i agree its possible someone cuised thru town and was'nt happy to see him - or he wandered and fell into something? ponds.
If the problem started at Christina Lake, where was he dropped off in Christina Lake. How far can you walk before you upset someone? - unless he started hitchhiking there, which looks like hillbilly country, not alot of autos.
Australia's a huge country, if Owen had got lost in the outback- well he just got lost in the canada outback.
They don't look like rich people, their son do's the same things my child does, growing up. I realy hope the australian consulate is supporting them jmi moo

86810grandforkso14.jpg

Owen Kiernan Rooney, 24

This article (at link) contains a bit more information and also answers a few of the questions we had.

I'll try to do a summary from both article and video clip.

What is in purple are my thoughts/questions

• Last seen at Boundary Hospital on Aug. 14 at 8 p.m., on a picnic table on the west side of the hospital
  • left behind his backpack, which contained clothing and a cellphone .. [I am assuming his backpack was left at the picnic table area]
  • Wallet and ID papers were not in the backpack and have not been located either (according to the RCMP)
The family, father Steve, mother Sharron and sisters Kelly and Bree, met with the members of the hospital on Oct. 7 and say it was informative.
  • Re Owen's state of mind: Staff at the hospital said that Owen was acting abnormally and paranoid.
  • there is a suspicion that somebody picked him up
  • Owen had attended a music festival in Nelson, where he experimented with magic mushrooms

[here I am confused if Nelson is the same area as Salmo, and Castlegar - local knowledge please]

• Owen was attending the Shambalah Music Festival in Salmo, BC, then somehow found his way from Castlegar, BC to Christina Lake.
  • It is known how he got to Castlegar, BC
  • Owen missed his ride back to Kelowna and hitchhicked his way to Christina Lake
  • It is unknown how he got from Castlegar to Christina Lake
  • Owen either got into a fight or was assaulted at Christina Lake
  • "He was beaten up at Christina Lake because he was looking for people, so he is wondering into somebody's place and said: "I am looking for my friends" (unknown), and they didn't like it", reason why he was assaulted there - they must have thought _ _ _ (lady doesn't know what they must have thought .. [don't ask me, I'm just transcribing]
  • Owen was picked up by a police officer (who was investigating a suspicious person report), after having been assaulted and they suggested to him that he go the hospital
  • LE dropped him off at the Grand Forks Greyhound bus station
  • Owen did board the bus bound for his home in Kelowna, he felt ill and got off the bus and went to the hospital.
  • Owen had blood on his ears, and was bruised on his temples and facial bruising as well.
  • His family thinks it's odd that no one else seems to remember him
HTH

http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_similkameen/keremeosreview/news/104817194.html

CHBC News - VIDEO CLIP - Search for Missing Man Continues

The family of Owen Rooney are still searching the Grand Forks area in hopes of finding the Australian man, who was last seen on August 14th.

Click on Image to Play Video

some information regarding the privacy laws of hospitals in BC. We are not able to give ANY information whatsoever without the explicit consent of the party involved. If LE or LEO wants information they absolutley MUST fill in a release of information with a warrant or information request from a judge.

So.. We have no way of knowing what exactly was said by Owen in the facility at all, and information by LE would not be released at all as that is considered sealed evidence. Very unfortunate in a case where a person has gone missing, but as a regular client Im incredibly glad my information is safe... if you know what I mean.

some information regarding the privacy laws of hospitals in BC. We are not able to give ANY information whatsoever without the explicit consent of the party involved. If LE or LEO wants information they absolutley MUST fill in a release of information with a warrant or information request from a judge.

So.. We have no way of knowing what exactly was said by Owen in the facility at all, and information by LE would not be released at all as that is considered sealed evidence. Very unfortunate in a case where a person has gone missing, but as a regular client Im incredibly glad my information is safe... if you know what I mean.
No exceptions to the rule? Not even to family members? In a case like this, I can't believe the hospital wont be a bit flexible and tell his mother what Owen said. If not, hopefully they have already filled in that release of information form and done all the paperwork.

Like I said in earlier post, I had been wondering what kind of treatment did Owen receive at the hospital, and if he had X-rays, CT scan or MRI of his skull to rule out broken bones and/or internal bleeding that could cause permanent brain damage or worse.

Those bruises would take a long time to disappear; how come nobody in that town remembers seeing him after he left the hospital? It seems as if he called someone from the hospital to pick him up, in which case, did he call from his cellphone or from the hospital? Pay phone maybe?

Also, doesn't the hospital have video surveillance that they can show his family and LE?

I have also been wondering if Owen had some kind of medical insurance (travel insurance maybe?). How did he pay for his stay at the hospital and treatment?

Odd coincidence .. someone I know went fruit-picking in Keremeos (Okanagan) in July and has told me that they worked with an Australian named Owen. I've shown them Owen's picture and they say it is definitely not the same fellow they met.

Search for missing Australian man this Saturday
Updated: October 20, 2010 1:00 PM

<<<< snipped >>>>

A search will take place this Saturday (Oct. 23) for Owen Kiernan Rooney, an Australian man missing since Aug. 14.

Search and rescue are asking for volunteers to assist in a search that will begin at 8 a.m. at the quarry off of North Fork Rd.
opposite the Boundary Horse Association grounds.

People who want to help out should wear long sleeves, pants and solid shoes, as the terrain could be rough,
and are asked to bring their own water and lunch.

Anyone wanting more information on Saturday's search or with information on Owen Rooney is asked to
call Grand Forks RCMP at 250-442-8288.

Read more: http://www.bclocalnews.com/kootenay_rockies/grandforksgazette/news/105366053.html

Search for missing Australian man this Saturday
Updated: October 20, 2010 1:00 PM

<<<< snipped >>>>

A search will take place this Saturday (Oct. 23) for Owen Kiernan Rooney, an Australian man missing since Aug. 14.

Search and rescue are asking for volunteers to assist in a search that will begin at 8 a.m. at the quarry off of North Fork Rd.
opposite the Boundary Horse Association grounds.

People who want to help out should wear long sleeves, pants and solid shoes, as the terrain could be rough,
and are asked to bring their own water and lunch.

Anyone wanting more information on Saturday's search or with information on Owen Rooney is asked to
call Grand Forks RCMP at 250-442-8288.

Read more: http://www.bclocalnews.com/kootenay_rockies/grandforksgazette/news/105366053.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back