GUILTY Canada - Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka, murdered, 1993

What I was asking, more specifically, is since Homolka served her full sentence is this request for 24-hour police recognizance unprecedented? I know that parole releases can and do have requirements and restrictions but release after serving full sentence?

LovelyPigeon said:
What I was asking, more specifically, is since Homolka served her full sentence is this request for 24-hour police recognizance unprecedented? I know that parole releases can and do have requirements and restrictions but release after serving full sentence?
She served her full sentence and it's every person's opinion that she is at high risk to reoffend...and they don't mean get a parking ticket. She is at a High Risk To Re Offend And Cause Serious Bodily Harm To Another Person.

Thus....our attorney general has contacted and extracted total compliance from every Province and Territory in the Country of Canada that wherever Ms. Kurly Kurls may choose to reside...she will be under the same terms of release as anywhere else in Canada.

Save for the nationwide compliance, YES, these terms of release 'even though the sentence has been served in full' have been instigated in the past. YES there is legal precedence. YES this has been done before.

Maybe it's a Canadian Thing but...we don't take too kindly to people like her and yes the Crown screwed up with giving her only 12 years and yes nobody including them is happy she's getting off so lightly. So yes....she's gonna be the fox in a hound hunt. And..it's all legal and it's been done before.

YES, these terms of release 'even though the sentence has been served in full' have been instigated in the past. YES there is legal precedence. YES this has been done before.

Do you know any of the other cases by name? I'm interested in reading about the restrictions imposed and the results for others who served their entire sentences.

LovelyPigeon said:
Do you know any of the other cases by name? I'm interested in reading about the restrictions imposed and the results for others who served their entire sentences.
A couple examples are in my earlier posting sharing this link:

from this site: http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/l...la_Homolka.html

Also simply google search homolka + restrictions and such should get you more information :)

Thank you, Neptune'sMom, but I couldn't access the http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/l...la_Homolka.html link and the other previous link didn't get examples of others who'd served complete sentences. If you have names from other cases I could perhaps research that way.

I did find a quote "This arrangement is without precedent in Canada," Mr. (Ontario Attorney-General Michael) Bryant said. "No matter where she goes, no matter what she does . . . we will be one step ahead of her." and these paragraphs:

A team of Ontario prosecutors and police will travel to Quebec in mid-June and seek to persuade a provincial court that Ms. Homolka merits such restrictions.

Most commonly applied to sex offenders, the restrictions often proscribe where the person can go and with whom he or she can associate. They also call for regular contact with police. The individual can be subject to a curfew and be prohibited from using alcohol and non-prescription drugs.

at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050412/HOMOLKA12/TPFront/TopStories

The precedent seems to be established with the release of convicted sex offenders and/or murderers, but Homolka was convicted only of manslaughter.

LovelyPigeon said:
Thank you, Neptune'sMom, but I couldn't access the http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/l...la_Homolka.html link and the other previous link didn't get examples of others who'd served complete sentences. If you have names from other cases I could perhaps research that way.

I did find a quote "This arrangement is without precedent in Canada," Mr. (Ontario Attorney-General Michael) Bryant said. "No matter where she goes, no matter what she does . . . we will be one step ahead of her." and these paragraphs:

A team of Ontario prosecutors and police will travel to Quebec in mid-June and seek to persuade a provincial court that Ms. Homolka merits such restrictions.

Most commonly applied to sex offenders, the restrictions often proscribe where the person can go and with whom he or she can associate. They also call for regular contact with police. The individual can be subject to a curfew and be prohibited from using alcohol and non-prescription drugs.

at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050412/HOMOLKA12/TPFront/TopStories

The precedent seems to be established with the release of convicted sex offenders and/or murderers, but Homolka was convicted only of manslaughter.

Manslaughter is a vicious crime. The crime itself is much more horrendous than the jury heard and it shouldn't be discounted as ....only of manslaughter.JMO.

LovelyPigeon said:

Maybe she could live with you???!!!!:p

The "arrangement without precedent" was of getting all provinces and territories in compliance with her terms of release, not of putting a convicted and sentenced and now released criminal on terms of restriction.

As far as your research goes, I think that's up to you. I suggested a google search. I'm sorry the first link didn't work for you as it's a legal dissertation on homolka and the conditions of release including prior precedents of not just sex offenders (per your globe and mail reference) but of all legal precedents since the inception of Section 810. P.S. Manslaughter is murder.

Happy research and looking forward to your sharing with us all here the results :)

That they bulldozed that house, didn't you? Lord, I don't know how the neighbours can still live there. It must be just awful.

Casshew said:
I have often wondered what rammifications the family of Karla had over the years? were they shunned? did they have to change their names and move away?

The last I heard they were still in the same place..same house. I often go by Kristen's gravesite when I'm up that way..it's just up Lundy's Lane on the way to Fonthill at Pleasantview Memorial Gardens. I don't know why the parents chose to have her interred down here instead of St. Catharines. Probably just so not so many people would be going to it .....

Jovin, I like Fonthill - it's 20 minutes from my parents house... I stop in that big antique/flowers/gift shop - I think there is a restaurant too... it has been a few years... I didn't know Kristen was near there.

Jovin said:
The last I heard they were still in the same place..same house. I often go by Kristen's gravesite when I'm up that way..it's just up Lundy's Lane on the way to Fonthill at Pleasantview Memorial Gardens. I don't know why the parents chose to have her interred down here instead of St. Catharines. Probably just so not so many people would be going to it .....

Next time you go to Kristen's grave, say a prayer for me if you don't mind.

Neptune'sMom, I did a google search, as you suggested, and gave you examples of what I found. I didn't find any previous cases by name. Since you haven't shared any do I take that to mean you have none either?

It would be interesting, if there is case precedent, to see how other released prisoners lives proceeded under constant surveillance, how long the surveillance lasted, and whether/when those released reoffended.

concernedperson, I've read much about the Bernardo/Homolka case. It's not my judgement on the manslaughter charge but the actual conviction that I'm addressing. The question I pose, and haven't found the answer to yet, is whether any other Canadian manslaughter conviction in which the convicted person served their entire term resulted in the surveillance and restrictions that are being sought to apply to Homolka on her release.

The surveillance is at present a request from Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant and not a "done deal".

From http://www.canada.com/national/nati....html?id=283095a9-dd69-4a20-8afa-8d3265615736 :

The merits of bringing a recognizance order, or a peace bond, against Homolka are dubious at best, said John Rosen.

''I think the court will be hard-pressed to grant it,'' said Rosen, defence counsel at the trial which ultimately saw Bernardo convicted of the sex slayings of two schoolgirls and handed a life sentence. Bernardo was also declared a dangerous offender after pleading guilty to manslaughter in the drug-rape death of Homolka's younger sister, Tammy.

''I think (Homolka) could easily show cause why she shouldn't be required to enter into a recognizance. She served her time for what she did.''

Homolka secured a 12-year prison sentence for manslaughter after entering into a plea bargain with Ontario Crown officials.

I don't doubt the merits of a recognizance order for Homolka, but I wonder if one will actually be granted.

LovelyPigeon said:
Neptune'sMom, I did a google search, as you suggested, and gave you examples of what I found. I didn't find any previous cases by name. Since you haven't shared any do I take that to mean you have none either?

It would be interesting, if there is case precedent, to see how other released prisoners lives proceeded under constant surveillance, how long the surveillance lasted, and whether/when those released reoffended.

concernedperson, I've read much about the Bernardo/Homolka case. It's not my judgement on the manslaughter charge but the actual conviction that I'm addressing. The question I pose, and haven't found the answer to yet, is whether any other Canadian manslaughter conviction in which the convicted person served their entire term resulted in the surveillance and restrictions that are being sought to apply to Homolka on her release.

The surveillance is at present a request from Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant and not a "done deal".
I've read online of other cases I found from a google search. I would find them again if this was an area of interest for me, but it isn't. I'm not interested in recidivism or the pressure or stress on a released person with restrictions.

Bryant has secured agreement with all of Canada to comply with ANY restrictions put upon KH upon her release. And I believe there will be many restrictions and she will either a) end up in prison again for violating (which I personally believe is the intention - to stranglehold any plans for freedom she may harbour) or b) be murdered.

The entire country is against her. She isn't being offered supports after release. She is going to be given restrictions. She is classified as someone who will reoffend. She asked for a halfway house placement earlier, to help her with her transition back into society, and was denied.

I *heart* my country and I have faith in their plans regarding KH and her release. My interest now is purely to just wait for news of her death or her return to prison. I don't think I'll have to wait long. :dance:

Wasn't the halfway house denial in relation to previously sought parole? Since she served her entire sentence she wouldn't be going to a halfway house after her release.

You really think someone will murder Homolka after her release?

Wouldn't she have to break Canandian laws and be convicted to be returned to prison?

LovelyPigeon said:
Wasn't the halfway house denial in relation to previously sought parole? Since she served her entire sentence she wouldn't be going to a halfway house after her release.

Wouldn't she have to break Canandian laws and be convicted to be returned to prison?
No she won't go to a halfway house after her release. Yes I really think someone will murder her once she's out. If she violates any term of her restrictions she can go back to prison for up to 2 years.

LovelyPigeon said:

I don't think anyone will murder Karla when she is released but there are newspeople, reporters who will out her no matter where she goes. If she is sectioned, it's for her own protection as well as ours. She's been deemed a high risk offender and if she complies with the Section, she will closely work with the police and experts to ensure her risk to the community she settles in is reduced. She will be required to report her whereabouts and any name or address change to the police. They in turn are required to inform any community she settles in. She may choose to stay in Quebec when she's released where supposedly she is less recognizable due to the language and cultural differences. A section 810 is rarely applied and then usually only to convicted violent sexual offenders who have completed their terms.

If granted by a judge, an order against Homolka would apply wherever in Canada she set down roots, imposing a stringent set of conditions to prevent her from, say, consorting with sex offenders, doing drugs or spending time with youths. If she failed to comply, she would go back to prison for up to two years.

GatorMom said:
Just confirming, this monstrous creature can't cross the border into the US, can she?

If so, just send her straight to Texas or Florida. We'll take care of her.

Ya'll need the death penalty up in Canada.

No not legally. She'd have to pose as a tourist and then try and stay illegally.

If she's sectioned, she has to report her whereabouts so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back