GUILTY Canada - Renee Sweeney, 23, murdered, Sudbury, Ont, 27 Jan 1998 *arrest in 2018*

Not to defend this guy, but proving first degree to our standard would be difficult.

By choosing the rare tactic of a direct indictment, the Crown loses their ability or flesh out their case in a prelim.

Here is another recent report about the developments in this case but this time from The Sudbury Star:

Judge reserves decision about defence lawyers in Sudbury murder case

Curious that the reporter writes the article without mentioning anything about what the facts of the possible conflict are. It doesn’t say the hearing was private.

Edit: not curious, publication ban. I’m having trouble imagining a conflict scenario. Not sure if the ruling will also be kept private until after trial.

Last edited:
Updated: Crown impacting Robert Steven Wright's right to fair trial, says defence counsel - Sudbury.com
'The Crown attorney's attempt to have Robert Steven Wright's counsel removed from the case has failed.

Lawyers for Robert Steven Wright, the man charged with second-degree murder in the death of Renée Sweeney in 1998, said they are concerned that steps being taken by the Crown's office are impacting their client's right to a fair trial.

Berk Keaney and Michael Venture, of Weaver-Simmons, are representing Wright in the case.

They released a statement following news the Crown failed in its attempt to have them removed as Wright's counsel, citing a conflict of interest. A publication ban prevents details from being made public.''

The Crown should only bring these motions if they are slam dunks.

It won’t have any bearing on the trial, but the direct indictment and this failed motion makes the prosecution look personally invested. Very unusual.

The Crown should only bring these motions if they are slam dunks.

It won’t have any bearing on the trial, but the direct indictment and this failed motion makes the prosecution look personally invested. Very unusual.

We aren't given any details, so maybe there was a belief that there were good reasons to support the indictment and motion. I wonder what the perceived conflict of interest could be?

I'm pretty upset that they downgraded to second.

He attacked her, went to the restroom to "wash up" and returned to find her near the phone where he finished her off.

Sounds pretty f*&$%ng premeditated to me! (frustrated with the system, not your comment)

That scenario has always just been investigator interpretation of the physical evidence in the store, with no particular reason for it to be contested by anyone over the years. You have to wonder if the Crown just decided it would be too vulnerable to alternate interpretations in a real world trial to support the first degree charge.

The change of venue hearing was scheduled to come up in the first part of May. I'm not sure what, if anything, courts are still doing during the provincial lockdown.

Lawyers formally seek to move high-profile murder trial out of Sudbury (update)

S-i-l is a lawyer in the district. He said that many of these clerical things are progressing as they normally would. Jury trials are on hold, of course, but a lot of this paperwork stuff is done by internet conferencing, or actual in court time if there are just lawyers present.

AlthoughI think of Renee often, I hardly think that a 20 + yr old case qualifies as high profile.

S-i-l is a lawyer in the district. He said that many of these clerical things are progressing as they normally would. Jury trials are on hold, of course, but a lot of this paperwork stuff is done by internet conferencing, or actual in court time if there are just lawyers present.

AlthoughI think of Renee often, I hardly think that a 20 + yr old case qualifies as high profile.

Thanks for sharing that info. :) In the context of the city of Sudbury, I would see the case as high profile. The police, Renee's family and the media never let the case slip out of the public eye once in all those years. Knowledge of the case and a sense of connection with Renee and her family is the reality for a significant number of people in the city. I think the defense actually has a shot at securing a change of venue, which would be unfortunate for a number of reasons.

Thanks for sharing that info. :) In the context of the city of Sudbury, I would see the case as high profile. The police, Renee's family and the media never let the case slip out of the public eye once in all those years. Knowledge of the case and a sense of connection with Renee and her family is the reality for a significant number of people in the city. I think the defense actually has a shot at securing a change of venue, which would be unfortunate for a number of reasons.

Yes, I also think it would be unfortunate to move it out of the city. I hope that doesn't happen.

rbbm.
Delay in change of venue hearing for accused in Sweeney murder
image-jpg.jpg

A man accused of second-degree murder in a case dating back 22 years in Sudbury, Robert Steven Wright, has been denied bail for the second time. (File photo)

''Lawyers for Robert Steven Wright had planned to make their case to have the trial moved at a two-day hearing June 22-23 in Greater Sudbury.

But Crown lawyers asked for more time during a telephone conference June 18 held in advance of the hearing.

"The Crown requires further time to confer with an expert regarding the survey evidence submitted by the defence," says a court transcript.

"Accordingly, the hearing will be adjourned. A new date will be set during our next teleconference to be held July 2, 2020, at 10 a.m."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G@$p•
Back