GUILTY Canada - Renee Sweeney, 23, murdered, Sudbury, Ont, 27 Jan 1998 *arrest in 2018*

Robert Steven Wright has been in custody since December 11, 2018. If sentencing were to occur in late June 2023, and if he became eligible for parole in 10 years, Wright could be out of prison in just over 13 months. However, the judge is not likely to give him the minimum eligibility period, due to the violence involved in Renee's murder. There are other factors involved in parole, as discussed previously. However, an appeal would not make much sense in this scenario, IMO. It would take longer for an appeal to wind its way through the courts than time remaining before parole.

The biggest favour he could do himself is to use this delay to reflect and accept responsibility and express remorse. The violence is a significantly aggravating factor, but just about every other wind blows in his direction. Young at the time of commission, clean record, educated and employed and a signicant support network. The part of me that always assumes the best of people likes to imagine that his reticence is as much about fear and shame as it is about deviousness.

I feel bad that Kim may have another delay and period of uncertainty. I was thinking about her today and how suffering is so inequitably distributed in this life. She lost her father to suicide in 1990, her only sibling to murder in 1998, and her struggling mom to MS just a few years later. She lived 20 years thiking about her sister every day not knowing if there would ever be answers, and four more years not knowing if there would be justice. I hope she feels carried just a litte by all the strangers pulling for her and for Renee over the years.

The biggest favour he could do himself is to use this delay to reflect and accept responsibility and express remorse. The violence is a significantly aggravating factor, but just about every other wind blows in his direction. Young at the time of commission, clean record, educated and employed and a signicant support network. The part of me that always assumes the best of people likes to imagine that his reticence is as much about fear and shame as it is about deviousness.
His lawyer didn't wait for sentencing before making the announcement that his client would be filing an appeal. That tells me something.

I agree about shame. Especially admitting it to family and friends.

On the other hand, he's so far only been in Sudbury prison, but will now likely be moved into a 'real' prison with other murderers, possibly far from Sudbury.

Once out on parole, I imagine being known to have murdered a defenceless young woman would seriously impact your life - many jobs would not be open to you, meeting new people would be fraught, you'd never be free of your parole officer, couldn't leave the country...

JMO

I agree about shame. Especially admitting it to family and friends.

On the other hand, he's so far only been in Sudbury prison, but will now likely be moved into a 'real' prison with other murderers, possibly far from Sudbury.

Once out on parole, I imagine being known to have murdered a defenceless young woman would seriously impact your life - many jobs would not be open to you, meeting new people would be fraught, you'd never be free of your parole officer, couldn't leave the country...

JMO
A criminal record for murder would certainly preclude his previous employment in a hospital, working with vulnerable people.

Behind the scenes, a summary of events.

In the video she describes the verdict reaction on Renee’s side as a “roar”. So interesting how we’ve gotten different descriptions. We can hang on single words on Websleuths, and it’s a good reminder how subjective objective reporting can be. She also describes a very emotional and poignant scene on the defendant’s side of the courtroom.

Other new points of interest for me:

-Wright was with his counsel and not in the prisoner’s box as would be standard because the courtroom is large and high-ceilinged and it would have been difficult to hear.

-She changed her writing to provide more detail when she realized what the level of interest was in Northern Ontario. I found her to be the most comprehensive and detailed in her coverage of all on the beat, so it was interesting for me to hear this was a deliberate adjustment she made.

WE ARE CLOSE. WE NEED 600 DOLLARS IN DONATIONS TO REACH OUR GOAL TO KEEP WEBSLEUTHS GOING.
Every month for about 228 months (that is 19 years) I have gladly paid the bills. Rarely over the 19 years have I asked for your help. THANK YOU to all who have donated. I will post an announcement and stop accepting donations when we reach our goal!
Please use PayPal Pay Websleuths.com, LLC using PayPal.Me
If the PayPal link does not work for you go to www.paypal.com and put in the email websleuths.com@gmail.com and you can send a donation that way.
Venmo name is Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14

(PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS DONATIONS ON THIS THREAD. CLICK HERE FOR DISCUSSION AND MORE INFORMATION)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Tricia

Hastily started thread just now because i was reminded so much of Renee's horrible and peculiar murder.
This young student also worked at a adult store, was found nude, but with no evidence of sexual assault and was brutally murdered. Some cash and many bondage-themed magazines were stolen from the store.
Noting fwiw, imo

Hastily started thread just now because i was reminded so much of Renee's horrible and peculiar murder.
This young student also worked at a adult store, was found nude, but with no evidence of sexual assault and was brutally murdered. Some cash and many bondage-themed magazines were stolen from the store.
Noting fwiw, imo
I'd read about this case in the past. It's interesting to read that profile.

Thinking back to this headline:

A tip, DNA will lead to killer of Renee Sweeney, say police

We know that advancements in DNA technology played a major role, along with genetic genealogy. What was in the thousands of tips, and did anything point in the direction of Robert Steven Wright long ago or more recently? Always curious about these things.

12 years. Lower than I think almost everybody expected. Only two years more than the minimum. Doesn't seem appropriate given the violence and the complete lack of expressed remorse.

rbbm.
''The brutal stabbing death of 23-year-old Renee Sweeney rocked the City of Sudbury to its core on Jan. 27, 1998.

Police searched for her killer for two decades and finally charged Robert Steven Wright, who was 18 years old at the time of the murder, in Dec. 2018.

After several delays, the trial began Feb. 21, 2023, just after the 25th anniversary of Sweeney's death. The jury delivered a guilty verdict after five weeks of testimony.

CTVNewsNorthernOntario.ca has compiled all of the case coverage below, including archival news footage, the arrest, trial, verdict and now that the publication ban is lifted, we can reveal some exclusive extras.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
findtrvthh
Back