CANADA Canada - Ronald, 26, & Doreen Jack, 26, & 2 boys, Prince George, BC, 1 Aug 1989

"The man offered the couple jobs at a logging ranch, thought to be located near Clucluz Lake, about 40 kilometres west of Prince George."
..........................................................................................................................
"The man who drove off with the Jack family was described as a white man, about 35 to 40 years old, standing 6-foot to 6-6 and weighing 200 to 275 pounds. He had reddish-brown hair with a full beard."
..................................................................................................................................
"For four persons, including two children, to go missing is very unusual and in fact may never have happened in Canada before or since.”

Police are asking anyone with information about the Jack family’s disappearance or their whereabouts to contact investigators at 250-561-3300."

COLD CASE: B.C. family mysteriously vanished in 1989
jack4-e1568227199386.jpg

"Do you know this man? He is suspected in the disappearance of the Jack family in 1989. RCMP
In the early morning hours, they left with the unknown male in a dark-coloured 4×4 pickup truck."
"Cops say the mystery man — as described in 1989 — is a white male, 35-40 years old, 6-foot to 6-foot-6 in height with reddish-brown hair, a full beard and wearing a baseball cap, red checkered work shirt, faded jeans, blue nylon jacket, and work boots with leather fringes over the toes.

Anyone with information on the incidents is asked to call Prince George RCMP at 250-561-3300 or anonymously contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or www.pgcrimestoppers.bc.ca"

"The man offered the couple jobs at a logging ranch, thought to be located near Clucluz Lake, about 40 kilometres west of Prince George."
<rsbm>

Not a huge deal but that particular article spelled the location wrong .. it's Cluculz Lake.

The person they left with, if still alive, would be 67 to 72 years old now, maybe not quite as tall as they were back in the day, but 6'6 doesn't shrink down that much over the years, so still a pretty big man.

from The Prince George Citizen, Sept 10, 2019

1485114-sketches-2up-media.jpg;w=960;h=640;bgcolor=000000

2 / 2 An RCMP sketch of a suspect in the disappearance of the Jack family in 1989.RCMP handout images

So.. the most significant tip in this case is that of the 1996 Vanderhoof call. "Nearly seven years later, the most significant tip about the Jack family’s disappearance came early on a Sunday morning in January. On January 28, 1996, at 8:33 a.m., a man in Stoney Creek, B.C., called Vanderhoof police with a brief message:"

Detailed in the article above ^

Anyways, that phone call's audio has never actually been released to the public... or so I thought until a few months ago. After scouring some old news videos about this case online, I found out that they played the 5 second long message for a reporter once. Wish I could find that video again to corroborate my claims, but oh well.

What I did do was save the voice clip of the phone call audio, so here it is.

IMO, and I don't want to sound insensitive or assuming or anything, but this sounds like a Native guy. Doesn't sound like a fully native English speaker to me. He also sounds tired or intoxicated or crying, something along those lines. Regardless, it's not much but I thought I'd post here, also to revive this thread, and one of the most baffling missing persons cases I've ever seen.

B.C. cold case file: This family of four vanished without a trace in 1989

On Aug. 1, 1989, Ronnie Jack, 26, was at the First Litre Pub, a sketchy Prince George drinking hole about four blocks from his home. While there he got to talking to a man in his late thirties who offered Ronnie and his wife Doreen temporary jobs at a logging camp. Since they didn’t own a car, they’d leave with the man that night.

Ronnie called his mother, Mabel, and told her that they would be working in the Cluculz Lake area. He would be bucking logs and Doreen would work as a cook’s helper in the camp kitchen.

The kids would go with them. Ronnie said they would be gone about 10 days, back well before Russell started school that September.

As weeks went by with no word from the family, Mabel Jack reported the family missing to the RCMP. The time factor was a major obstacle. Witness reports are notoriously unreliable, and after this much time, it would be even harder to nail down a timeline or to find a reliable description of the suspect and his vehicle.

Several theories have circulated over the years. At first, police believed the family was most likely involved in an accident, the vehicle hidden in dense bush off the side of a road. But the area was thoroughly searched, and the unidentified driver—the man who offered them the job—would also likely have been reported missing by his family or his employer, but no reports ever came in.

A second theory was that the job offer was real, but it wasn’t legal; something went wrong, and the family was killed. Another darker theory was that the kids were the target all along; the parents were quickly and quietly subdued and killed, and the kids taken by sex traffickers.

Doreen’s younger sister Marlene searched for the Jacks in Vancouver, and Mabel searched for them in the Prince George area. When her sister first went missing, Marlene says that the RCMP told her that if she went to the media, they would not talk to her about their investigation. She believed them, and, for a long time, she stayed silent. But tired of being stonewalled, Marlene was determined to get some answers. Over the years she has hassled police, taken her story to the media, and started a Facebook group called Missing Jack Family out of Prince George, which at the present time has just about 3,700 followers.

If you have any information about the Jack family’s disappearance, please contact the Prince George RCMP at 250-561-3300; or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.

Creepy case. Group abductions are quite rare. It just shows how desperate the situation was for the Jack family that they were willing to uproot in the middle of the night with a random dude they'd only just met.

Were the victims racially profiled? Was he targeting the couple or using Ronnie to get to Doreen? Violence against indigenous women, in particular, in Canada is well-documented. Perhaps the killer was banking on the fact that the victim profiles meant they would not receive much police attention and media coverage.

Some have theorized that the children were targeted for trafficking, but the kids only tagged along because Ronnie's brother declined to look after them while he went away.

There's an outside chance that the truck they were driving in had an accident and has never been recovered. Both Ronnie and the mystery man had been drinking that night. There's enough wild overgrown areas for it to remain hidden for a long time. However, the circumstances are so strange, and to our knowledge the mystery man has never been reported missing, so foul play remains the prevailing theory.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmalan
Back