CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

Son of Nova Scotia shooting victims expresses ‘disgust’ over publication of 911 tapes

……“ YOU FRANK MAGAZINE,” wrote Tyler Blair, another of Jamie and Greg’s sons, in a Facebook post expressing his anger. “YOU *advertiser censored*KING DISGUST ME.”…..

……Publication of the audio recordings was condemned Thursday by politicians, the police and the commissioners responsible for the joint federal and provincial public inquiry into the killing spree.

The RCMP said it is investigating the source of the leaked 911 calls and their publication.

“Publishing the audio recordings demonstrates a disgraceful disregard for the victims and their families. This publication has chosen to make public the darkest time in these families’ lives, with no regard for how it must feel to have to relive that tragedy in the public eye,” wrote RCMP Asst. Commissioner Lee Bergerman in a statement.

“We have spoken to victims’ families through our family liaison (officer), and are assuring them that we will be investigating the source of the recordings and any related offences that may have occurred with respect to unauthorized release, possession and subsequent publishing.”…..

Leaked 911 recordings from N.S. tragedy cause outrage; raise questions

Dobson says the publication that made her niece's 911 call public, should take it down.

"It is continuously bringing everything back to the family," she says. "and any time that people read and comment and say anything, they are giving the shooter continuous control."……..

Audio Moved Behind Paywall

Late Thursday, the audio of the 911 calls was moved behind Frank Magazine's paywall.

"We initially felt that we couldn't be seen to be profiteering off this material, and we would be doing a public service by giving unfettered access to material that is very much in the public interest," wrote Douglas in an email to CTV News.

"But as it turns out, putting it behind the paywall ended up being a way to make at least some of the family members feel a little better about it," he continued.

Douglas says the material will remain online for paying subscribers. He says he received several notices of possible litigation if it wasn't entirely removed from lawyers representing members of the victims of the April 2020 massacre, but says the material will remain……”

Even though this has caused the families anguish? These tapes will be introduced during the public inquiry, the purpose being to determine what occurred. The timing of this leak is hurtful and totally unnecessary. I don’t where it’s coming from that the RCMP claimed not to know the identity of the person responsible for the shooting spree but I’m sure it’s not a coincidence the name PP is involved once again.

SBM

From my original post: Maybe not the audio, and maybe Frank could've blocked facts like graphic details about people's deaths.

The RCMP claimed not to know GW's identity for quite a while and yet they had it upon the first 9/11 call. They also claimed not to know he had another car until speaking to the gf in the morning.

Even though this has caused the families anguish? These tapes will be introduced during the public inquiry, the purpose being to determine what occurred. The timing of this leak is hurtful and totally unnecessary. I don’t where it’s coming from that the RCMP claimed not to know the identity of the person responsible for the shooting spree but I’m sure it’s not a coincidence the name PP is involved once again.

BBM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...ve-911-calls-from-n-s-mass-shooting-1.6051925
“The public inquiry examining the circumstances of the Nova Scotia mass killing is calling for Frank Magazine to remove "highly sensitive" audio of 911 calls — including one from a child who witnessed his parents dying — placed the night the shooting began that would leave 22 people dead.

Several family members of people killed expressed outrage and anguish on social media after the Halifax publication posted online the tapes and transcripts of three calls made from the rural community of Portapique, about 95 kilometres north of Halifax, on April 18, 2020.

The tapes were obtained by freelance journalist Paul Palango, who has been covering the mass shooting for Frank and the Nightime podcast. CBC does not know who shared the calls with him. The magazine posted them online Wednesday evening.”

I agree that FM shouldn’t have released them in the manner that they did.

But there are family, witnesses and first responders (RCMP included) that claim that the official RCMP version of events is not true. FM just proved part of it, apparently they have more proof.

I think there may have been an upper management or systemic issue with the RCMP’s response, and a failure with how little they informed the public over the 13 hours.

They could easily clear up some issues today, despite the inquiry. Also tell us what has improved in how they might respond to an active shooter, or another type of disaster.

It seems like they knew, or might have known through others very early, that the shooter owned 'a few' police cars. Why would they assume it was written in stone that he had exactly three of them?

How long was it before they were able to get close enough to the burning building to examine the car remains at the shooter's house, to determine that it was three 'police vehicles' that were accounted for and then to therefore assume all of the shooter's police vehicles were burned?

As upsetting as it is for people to hear the recordings, I don't think people would've believed FM if they had not posted the actual recordings, and then if only posting transcripts, it might be easier to find some kind of fault with the point that was being raised (that police knew right away that the shooter was on the road and in a police vehicle and also was still actively shooting people at the same time calls were coming in about properties burning and murders that had already occurred), ie, 'the transcript wasn't exact', 'some words were not heard', whatever, etc. imo.

How long was it before they were able to get close enough to the burning building to examine the car remains at the shooter's house, to determine that it was three 'police vehicles' that were accounted for and then to therefore assume all of the shooter's police vehicles were burned?

Excellent question.

Even if they had been informed or thought they 'knew' the shooter had exactly three 'police' vehicles, why not err on the side of caution.. or at least make a mention to at least beware of this as a possibility, etc. ?

I agree that FM shouldn’t have released them in the manner that they did.

But there are family, witnesses and first responders (RCMP included) that claim that the official RCMP version of events is not true. FM just proved part of it, apparently they have more proof.

I think there may have been an upper management or systemic issue with the RCMP’s response, and a failure with how little they informed the public over the 13 hours.

They could easily clear up some issues today, despite the inquiry. Also tell us what has improved in how they might respond to an active shooter, or another type of disaster.

Interesting, I still haven’t noticed anywhere where the RCMP claimed to have not known who was responsible for the shootings that night. That doesn’t make sense to me at all because that contradicts what they said in the initial PCs or what’s posted by MSM, see my earlier quotes. Is the source SM?

The RCMP already admitted they didn’t know he’d fled from Portapique that evening in an unregistered police cruiser replica and instead made the crucial mistake of believing he died by suicide in his torched building, the Ford Taurus also torched.

It seems to me the proverbial question remains on the table - Should the RCMP have issued a public alert for a maniac driving what appeared to be a police car without having any confirmation indicating he’d fled from the parameter that day? Some might say yes they should and if the Inquiry agrees then might come a recommendation for LE to alert the public to “mights” rather than known certainty.

The 911 calls released by FM traumatize everyone involved all over again certainly don’t offer an answer. What occurred is one of main reasons for the Public Inquiry so IMO FM is taking a cheap shot at increasing paid readership by inflaming through sensationalist pandering.

JMO

Interesting, I still haven’t noticed anywhere where the RCMP claimed to have not known who was responsible for the shootings that night. That doesn’t make sense to me at all because that contradicts what they said in the initial PCs or what’s posted by MSM, see my earlier quotes. Is the source SM?

The RCMP already admitted they didn’t know he’d fled from Portapique that evening in an unregistered police cruiser replica and instead made the crucial mistake of believing he died by suicide in his torched building, the Ford Taurus also torched.

It seems to me the proverbial question remains on the table - Should the RCMP have issued a public alert for a maniac driving what appeared to be a police car without having any confirmation indicating he’d fled from the parameter that day? Some might say yes they should and if the Inquiry agrees then might come a recommendation for LE to alert the public to “mights” rather than known certainty.

The 911 calls released by FM traumatize everyone involved all over again certainly don’t offer an answer. What occurred is one of main reasons for the Public Inquiry so IMO FM is taking a cheap shot at increasing paid readership by inflaming through sensationalist pandering.

JMO

The source is the RCMP. In the quotes I posted, the RCMP said it wasn’t until LB appeared the next morning that they confirmed his name, clothing and car. Then they released the photos and a BOLO. They did vaguely say they were aware of who the suspect was early on.

These calls prove they had enough information to positively ID him—and send out his photo—shortly after the shootings began. The one victim who was shot in the arm was on the phone with 911 as it happened—he knew the killer. 8 hours prior to LB giving them information.

The sticking point is that the RCMP issued a tweet at 11:30 pm with scant information then went silent all night. They could have sent out an alert with the killers photo and that he was driving a car that looked like an RCMP vehicle, based on the first 911 calls and the information from injured witness.

Dobson says the publication that made her niece's 911 call public, should take it down.

"It is continuously bringing everything back to the family," she says. "and any time that people read and comment and say anything, they are giving the shooter continuous control."……..

Audio Moved Behind Paywall

Late Thursday, the audio of the 911 calls was moved behind Frank Magazine's paywall.

"We initially felt that we couldn't be seen to be profiteering off this material, and we would be doing a public service by giving unfettered access to material that is very much in the public interest," wrote Douglas in an email to CTV News.

"But as it turns out, putting it behind the paywall ended up being a way to make at least some of the family members feel a little better about it," he continued.

Douglas says the material will remain online for paying subscribers. He says he received several notices of possible litigation if it wasn't entirely removed from lawyers representing members of the victims of the April 2020 massacre, but says the material will remain……”
I think FM will be sued to oblivion over publishing the audio and transcripts.

One thing FM did was quote the killer, I didn’t see the point. I imagine that is part of Mrs. Dobson’s point and it’s completely valid.

The source is the RCMP. In the quotes I posted, the RCMP said it wasn’t until LB appeared the next morning that they confirmed his name, clothing and car. Then they released the photos and a BOLO. They did vaguely say they were aware of who the suspect was early on.

These calls prove they had enough information to positively ID him—and send out his photo—shortly after the shootings began. The one victim who was shot in the arm was on the phone with 911 as it happened—he knew the killer. 8 hours prior to LB giving them information.

The sticking point is that the RCMP issued a tweet at 11:30 pm with scant information then went silent all night. They could have sent out an alert with the killers photo and that he was driving a car that looked like an RCMP vehicle, based on the first 911 calls and the information from injured witness.

It appears true LE didn’t know the killer had a 4th vehicle until the common-law wife came out of hiding because it was unregistered and stored indoors, how could they.

I’m certain the issue of the alert will be a key issue during the Public Inquiry as it appears there was little or no guidelines in place considering never in Canadian history had LE ever issued alerts for a wanted suspect.

I question the context of the one sentence FM is using to stir up controversy and scandal as it contradicts information the RCMP have already released. Both scenarios cannot be true. I’d believe what’s already been released during live PCs and MSM, rather than FM. That the magazine doesn’t care about anguish they have caused to the families including releasing a 911 tape involving a 12 year old speaks loudly to their level of integrity IMO.

JMO

I think FM will be sued to oblivion over publishing the audio and transcripts.

One thing FM did was quote the killer, I didn’t see the point. I imagine that is part of Mrs. Dobson’s point and it’s completely valid.

Whistleblowers are usually protected by law. But considering the 911 tapes were released illegally prior to the Public Inquiry, I’m not so sure that person will be afforded legal protection either.

LOCAL COUNCILLORS CALL FOR INVESTIGATION
Editor's note: The following news release from three Colchester County councillors was received after the story above was completed.

"As councillors representing three municipal districts where residents were directly affected by the mass shooting, we are extremely concerned for the harm caused to families who were re-traumatized by the content of 911 recordings released by Frank Magazine on June 2nd.

The violation of the privacy of children in this manner crosses a line of decency and respect that should never be crossed. This is an attack on the most vulnerable members of our society, young children, in the most devastating and horrendous moments of their lives, and we believe this to be absolutely deplorable.

The people of Nova Scotia need to stand behind these families, especially these children and we believe they need to let Frank Magazine know that it has sold its last magazine here in the province of Nova Scotia.

We call for an immediate investigation into who leaked these tapes of the 911 calls on the evening of April 18, 2020.

Our hearts are with the families who were victimized yet once again, by the release of these recordings and we want you all to know there's not a single Nova Scotian who doesn't feel for you!…”

What a mess....again. I have seen interviews with family members angry (and justifiably so) at things the RCMP did or did not do. Now they have another lightning rod for those emotions. Hard to imagine healing when people keep picking at the scab of the wound.

Beginning at about 7:00 of this PC is the account of events from the RCMP, if anyone is interested in a refresher from last July. They didn’t claim they didn’t know of GW early on, in fact to the contrary. However it was initially unknown whether or not there was more than one shooter or the fact GW had a 4th fabricated police cruiser and he fled through a field as the RCMP were arriving on site.

I’m not defending the RCMP but given the hatred of GW towards police and his maneuvers to trick them before continuing to take the lives of even more innocent victims the next day, he’s probably still rolling in his grave laughing. :(

He solely is to blame for his actions and the best that can come from this horrible tragedy is to use the learnings going forward, not only by police but society is general, in order to prevent something similar from ever occurring again. JMO

Last edited:
A few months ago, information was released, transcriptions of interviews etc from the RCMP. I believe it was Andrew Macdonald, who was shot on Orchard Beach Drive, but escaped, told police about 1030 that night that it was GW in a fully "badged" cruiser. That phrase stood out to me, "badged". He meant it was fully outfitted. So regardless of how many stripped down cruisers GW was known to have, he was in a fully outfitted one at that moment. That eye witness testimony backs up what was said by others on the 911 calls that it was "labeled" and who was driving it.
The emergence from hiding of LB in the morning might have confirmed things, but it was not the first evidence that this was actually so.

A few months ago, information was released, transcriptions of interviews etc from the RCMP. I believe it was Andrew Macdonald, who was shot on Orchard Beach Drive, but escaped, told police about 1030 that night that it was GW in a fully "badged" cruiser. That phrase stood out to me, "badged". He meant it was fully outfitted. So regardless of how many stripped down cruisers GW was known to have, he was in a fully outfitted one at that moment. That eye witness testimony backs up what was said by others on the 911 calls that it was "labeled" and who was driving it.
The emergence from hiding of LB in the morning might have confirmed things, but it was not the first evidence that this was actually so.
Yes, I guess keyword is 'confirmed'.. which shouldn't have been necessary before warning additional potential victims. Even if it made people not want to pull over if getting stopped by LE, that would have been a short-lived consequence. Whatever happened to 'better to err on the side of caution'?

Yes, I guess keyword is 'confirmed'.. which shouldn't have been necessary before warning additional potential victims. Even if it made people not want to pull over if getting stopped by LE, that would have been a short-lived consequence. Whatever happened to 'better to err on the side of caution'?
I’ll add it’s also been suggested that the reason LE didn’t pursue him more aggressively is they were afraid a lot of officers would be traumatized or die and then their families would sue the RCMP, which apparently has happened before.

Last edited:
I’ll add it’s also been suggested that the reason LE didn’t pursue him more aggressively is they were afraid a lot of officers would be traumatized or die and then their families would sue the RCMP, which apparently has happened before.
Frankly, I can understand if there may have been fear. Nobody really wants to give up their life for some whacko, even if their job is to serve and protect, imho. But that still doesn't solve why they couldn't have very loudly let the surrounding public know about a 'potential' and imminent risk, potentially disguised as an officer in a police vehicle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back