CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
No suspects in search for missing Orangeville woman​
The search for a missing Orangeville woman continues, though police in the town northwest of Toronto appear to be increasingly pessimistic.

"Well we're certainly holding out for hope," said OPP Const. Jonathan Beckett, during a news conference on Wednesday afternoon. "However given what [investigators] have found at the scene, our indication is that we do suspect foul play at this time."

Does anyone have any theories on this? Did she know the perp or was acquainted with them, Was this just random?

I think there could possibly be two perps. One driving her car and one driving the get away vehicle. Or one perp that parked their vehicle near where her car was abandoned and they walked to her home. Then got back in their vehicle after abandoning hers.

From all the reports it sounds like she put up one heck of a struggle. There must have been a lot of blood or other evidence in the home and car for LE to believe after forensics, that she met with foul play.

I would have to go with one perp parked where her car was found.
It is only about a 5 minute walk from there to her house.
I also think it is a jealous suitor....MOO

I think that is the perp they got on the surveillance camera as he was driving through the parking lot. Hopefully someone will recognize the van and know that the person was out very early in the morning.

If that is the perp in the van, LE said the van was recorded at 3:55 am, and neighbors heard noises and possible screams at 3:00 am. The perp didn't go very far to dump her then. I wonder why the perp didn't just leave her in the home? Why the risk to transport her somewhere else?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/855257--missing-nurse-worked-with-epileptic-teens?bn=1

Missing nurse worked with epileptic teens

A source close to the investigation said her boyfriend of 18 months was questioned by police, as is routine, but he is not considered a suspect.

“For all intents and purposes, it probably is a random act,” Tomei continued.

Investigators circulated a security video to locate the driver of a North American passenger van which passed through the city's downtown shortly before 4 a.m. on Monday. But the driver of the van contacted police by phone and told them he had not seen anything that would help the investigation.

If it is considered a random act ("for all intents and purposes") then why did LE earlier tell locals not to worry about their safety?

Well that throws my theory out the window, if the van driver came forward. If this is a random act this is scary and Le refused to say if the home was forcibly entered.

so dude in the speeding van contacted police by phone ... I'm curious as to his reasons for coincidentally speeding through that parking lot at that time of morning?

poor Sonia

apparently screaming isn't enough for people to call 911 anymore & she wasn't strong enough to fight the perp off, although she clearly tried like h3!!

would've been nice if someone had called that morning when they heard screaming - might not have saved her but she was alone & no one helped her & it just makes me sad KWIM?

So he contacted the police by phone? Well that's gracious of him... How about coming into the station for an interview? You know.. the kind with a sworn written statement??

Yep...I'd be looking into that van driver a bit more....and of course the boyfriend...but I am sure the police are doing just that!!!

Police say would-be witness knew little in case of missing woman​

A would-be witness in the case of a missing Orangeville, Ont., woman whose blood was found in her car and home this week did not see as much as officials hoped he did, police said Wednesday evening.​

“He has spoken with our investigators,” he said. “But unfortunately he saw or heard nothing in the alleyway where Sonia’s car was found.”​

Police request help in searching for Sonia Varaschin

police are urging residents and business owners to search their properties for anything that may help locate Sonia Varaschin.

“Time is critical. We’re still hopeful we’re going to find her and when that happens, then the investigation will progress from that point depending what we’ve got,” police spokesperson Const. Jonathan Beckett told The Banner this morning (Sept. 1).​

Does anyone have any theories on this? Did she know the perp or was acquainted with them, Was this just random?

I think there could possibly be two perps. One driving her car and one driving the get away vehicle. Or one perp that parked their vehicle near where her car was abandoned and they walked to her home. Then got back in their vehicle after abandoning hers.

From all the reports it sounds like she put up one heck of a struggle. There must have been a lot of blood or other evidence in the home and car for LE to believe after forensics, that she met with foul play.

so dude in the speeding van contacted police by phone ... I'm curious as to his reasons for coincidentally speeding through that parking lot at that time of morning?

poor Sonia

apparently screaming isn't enough for people to call 911 anymore & she wasn't strong enough to fight the perp off, although she clearly tried like h3!!

would've been nice if someone had called that morning when they heard screaming - might not have saved her but she was alone & no one helped her & it just makes me sad KWIM?

It is quite possibly the van driver was delivering newspapers as the Toronto papers come in about that time and most people that deliver them have full time jobs so they have to get the papers delivered fast.

I am also sure the police have checked the van out in person and not just relied on a phone call.

Foul play’ seen in nurse’s disappearance
September 2, 2010
Orangeville Police Service and the OPP’s Criminal Investigation Branch are continuing their search for a respected Orangeville nurse who was reported missing when she didn’t arrive at her workplace Monday, and are asking the public to be on the lookout for “anything out of place,” including items of clothing or body parts.

The police have asked that the public not touch such items, but to alert the Orangeville Police Service hotline.

At a news conference Wednesday afternoon, OPP Constable Peter Leon confirmed that foul play is suspected in the disappearance overnight Sunday of Sonia Varaschin, 42, of Spring Street, a registered nurse who was employed at Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket until about a month ago.

A source at Southlake confirmed that Ms. Varaschin had worked there until recently. “She left here about a month ago to pursue other work.”
By Wednesday, the investigation appeared to shift entirely to Unit 21, 5 Spring St., where two police officers were stationed on the street and the area was taped off. There was a command trailer and two cruisers at the scene, and one officer indicated the investigation was continuing inside.

At the Courthouse Tuesday morning, no one was talking. But there was an unsubstantiated report that the police were also searching for a male friend of Ms. Varaschin. The source was not aware of whether the male was suspected of anything, or simply sought for information. Ms. for information. Ms. Varaschin was single with no children.
The police were not holding out hope that they would find her alive.
RS&BBM
:( OMG!

full article: http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2010-09-02/Front_Page/Foul_play_seen_in_nurses_disappearance.html

If they caught the white van on camera, then why didn't they catch Sonia's car on camera?

You know, if I heard someone screaming, especially if I knew it was a woman, I would call police. I would rather look foolish if it turned out to be nothing, than discover that someone was killed while I chose to ignore such alarming sounds.

As far as asking the public to be on the lookout for body parts, does this mean they found enough blood to suggest such a horrific act took place? I know it's routine to ask the public to keep an eye out for personal items, but body parts? That seems very unusual to me.

You know, if I heard someone screaming, especially if I knew it was a woman, I would call police. I would rather look foolish if it turned out to be nothing, than discover that someone was killed while I chose to ignore such alarming sounds.

As far as asking the public to be on the lookout for body parts, does this mean they found enough blood to suggest such a horrific act took place? I know it's routine to ask the public to keep an eye out for personal items, but body parts? That seems very unusual to me.

I totally agree about calling police, but it is not a new phenomenon that people don't want to get involved. I am reminded of the Kitty Genovese murder years ago which happened right outside her door. Many people heard and saw, but no one helped her.
My thought about looking for body parts was that maybe they found bone fragments along with the blood.
Always JMOO.

If they caught the white van on camera, then why didn't they catch Sonia's car on camera?

Very good question Lucy. I guess it depends on where the camera was located, it could very well be that they saw a van pass the area where Sonia's car was left, though the camera may not videotape the entire street...just guessing here of course why they have the van and not her car.

They are now telling her family to expect the worst and think it is someone she knows.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...f-missing-woman-told-to-expect-the-worst?bn=1

quote from article linked above and bbm:

The massive police investigative team includes psychologists who specialize in criminal profiling, Pritchard said, and evidence collected so far suggests Varaschin was not attacked by a stranger.

I wonder what the evidence LE collected to suggest that it is not a stranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes