CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media and police conferences have just faded off.

I hope this case gets solved soon as you don't want it turning into a cold case.

Has anyone heard or seen anything around Orangeville? There are no new news reports.

Yes thank you RubyRed.

Her front door lock was a combination type. I've been told that these are not very secure unless you change your code often because your fingers will wear out certain numbers and it's easier for criminals to figure out your code based on the worn numbers.

On a side note, when asked to watch our next door neighbour's house while they were away, I was surprised when he told me the combination was "1,2,3" which was the factory default setting. I must have looked at him funny, because he said they only lock up when they are going away for more than 2 days. And this in coming from an area that just had the chief in command of the local air base arrested for multiple b&e's and more than just a couple of murders. I won't get a combination lock just because I have an 8 year old step son who's mom is a borderline personality. While she could pocket a key, she could VERY easily convince her son to pass over the code.

Yes thank you RubyRed.

Her front door lock was a combination type. I've been told that these are not very secure unless you change your code often because your fingers will wear out certain numbers and it's easier for criminals to figure out your code based on the worn numbers.
bbm
Thanks I hadn't thought of that.

Regular patio doors are easy to get into even if they are locked.

The media and police conferences have just faded off.

I hope this case gets solved soon as you don't want it turning into a cold case.

Has anyone heard or seen anything around Orangeville? There are no new news reports.

I know what you mean. This seems like such a slam dunk case. Three crime scenes, known footwear, witnesses to help with timelines and what must amount to a mountain of forensic evidence and yet we haven't heard anything. I keep expecting to turn on the news and hear of an arrest at any moment. I just hope they are narrowing in on their suspect and getting all the evidence together before making an arrest and that this doesn't become a cold case. If it does, in the face of all that evidence, I don't know if the town of Orangeville, not to mention her family, will ever be able to rest easy again. :(

bbm
Thanks I hadn't thought of that.

Regular patio doors are easy to get into even if they are locked.

You're right about that RubyRed. Everyone should have the extra safety lock on their patio doors or at least a stick in the bottom of the door frame at the very least.

MOO

It has been so quiet here for the last couple of days. I haven't seen a police car in days, which is such a contrast to the last few weeks, when they were everywhere. I just pray that this is the calm before the storm and that they are preparing to arrest someone.

You know if you look at the map on google earth, it appears as though the person might have headed out of town via Broadway to Hwy 10. Following Hwy 10 south, the first eastbound sideroad that was long and secluded is Beechgrove. I would imagine they intended to get off the main Hwy as soon as possible. They could have taken a westbound sideroad before that but chose Beechgrove. That might be why LE feels they are familiar with the area.

If you follow Beechgrove Sideroad all the way to the end, there really is no good place to dispose of a body because there are houses, driveways and flat land all along there. What I did find interesting is that the body was found on the north side of the road. The road ends at Airport. It's almost as if the person drove all the way to the end, decided not to get back on a main road and turned around. At that point, the first area with any trees on either side of the road and no obvious houses or driveways was the area in which Sonia was found. And since she was found on the north side, perhaps that's because the person had turned around and was headed back across Beechgrove so when he pulled over, the car was on the north side. According to the photos posted on page 5, she was found just before the bend in the road at the Conservation area and before the driveway of the person who actually owns that property if you are looking westward.

Perhaps the perp was desperate at that point as they knew they had to get back to dump the car before daylight. Sunrise that day was 6:39 am but I'm sure they got back before then because there would have been activity on the streets around the town hall at that point I would imagine.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1T4G...code_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ8gEwAA

MOO

Fewer tips in Orangeville murder case

Tips to investigators hunting nurse Sonia Varaschin’s killer have slowed down in the two weeks since her murder — but are still being checked.

Detectives with a joint Orangeville Police-Ontario Provincial Police team “are still following all information, no matter how small,” OPP Const. Peter Leon said Monday.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/09/13/15333036.html

Perhaps this question has already been posed. Sonia's townhouse complex looks relatively new. I'm wondering if there is any new construction happening on her street or within close proximity to her townhouse? I may be way off track but if there is construction close by chances are that the workmen would be wearing boots. Perhaps our Orangeville poster can reply.

I know what you mean. This seems like such a slam dunk case. Three crime scenes, known footwear, witnesses to help with timelines and what must amount to a mountain of forensic evidence and yet we haven't heard anything. I keep expecting to turn on the news and hear of an arrest at any moment. I just hope they are narrowing in on their suspect and getting all the evidence together before making an arrest and that this doesn't become a cold case. If it does, in the face of all that evidence, I don't know if the town of Orangeville, not to mention her family, will ever be able to rest easy again. :(

I hope this is the calm before the storm and the Police are gathering their evidence to make an arrest that will "stick".

An autopsy was performed in Toronto, but the lead investigator, Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard, told reporters Varaschin's cause of death was being withheld from the public.

Contacted Monday, Michele Varaschin said the family has not concluded preparations for her daughter's funeral.

Her brother, Viv, said the coroner has not released his sister's body. Several candlelight vigils were planned, but Leon said the organizers contacted the Varaschin family, who asked them to delay such tributes.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2010/09/13/15334511.html

Perhaps this question has already been posed. Sonia's townhouse complex looks relatively new. I'm wondering if there is any new construction happening on her street or within close proximity to her townhouse? I may be way off track but if there is construction close by chances are that the workmen would be wearing boots. Perhaps our Orangeville poster can reply.

The area of Orangeville where Sonia lived is an older part of town. I'm not sure how old Sonia's house is; it looks like it was built after the other houses on an big empty patch of land. I know she moved in just over three years ago. My friend knows someone who lives on the street; I will ask her if she can find out for me.

Someone earlier asked if it was a gated community. It is just an ordinary townhouse complex; there is no security to get in or out. People might be getting confused because they mentioned a private security guard at the entrance of the complex. The residents actually put money together to hire him because of all the curious people driving by.

bbm

In this video at the 0:51 mark a house is under construction and a construction worker shows the same type of work boots to the reporter.

Select video Community Fears
http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/index.html?releasePID=yI4eh3XfmYDbVXRFqlK4EhJiXPUAPgum

Why would the perp remove Sonia from her home? Do you think the doors and trunk were left open by the perp on purpose, to make it look like a robbery or something?

Either the perp left the doors and trunk to the car open on purpose OR LE opened them (and that's the way they were photographed).

The perp either left Sonia's upstairs window open and/or the Garage Door OR LE opened them (and that's the way they were photographed). It seems odd to me.

I think I remember reading that the vehicle was found with the doors and trunk open.

I think I remember reading that the vehicle was found with the doors and trunk open.

That fact always makes me wonder how LE are so sure that the killer used Sonia's car to dispose of her body on Beechgrove Sideroad and didn't just transfer her to another vehicle in that alleyway. I could see them leaving the doors and trunk open in their haste to get away at that point.

I suppose they have forensic evidence like tire tracks or dirt in the wheels to prove that her car was on Beechgrove Sideroad? :waitasec:

MOO

Kamille, I never thought about that possibility. That could be possible, but the area where her car was found is pretty well lit, and there are also cameras in that area. but I guess the perp could have known where the cameras were and avoided them. I wonder if the car wasn't found with the doors and trunk open like was reported, like an earlier poster stated.

With all the rumours and mis-information out there, it could have been wrongly reported about the doors being open. I am just assuming that the reporters started taking pictures of the car after the police had gone through it, and the doors would be open. Maybe the police haven't corrected that information for their own reasons.

Driver surprised to see himself in police video

This article has an embedded video where it shows the back alley near where Sonia's car was found. It was apparently released (I had not learned of this until reading the article) shortly after the car was discovered. This article also mentions that the car was found with the doors and trunk open with blood smears on the back end. The sky is dark so I think LE feels that the vehicle was abandoned very early in the morning before sunrise.

http://www.orangeville.com/news/loc...iver-surprised-to-see-himself-in-police-video

It is quite possibly the van driver was delivering newspapers as the Toronto papers come in about that time and most people that deliver them have full time jobs so they have to get the papers delivered fast.

I am also sure the police have checked the van out in person and not just relied on a phone call.

You were right Valleyboy.

“I didn’t see anything,” Denelzen, a Toronto Star delivery driver, said, explaining he didn’t go the alley, exiting the parking lot immediately east of town hall.

http://www.orangeville.com/news/loc...iver-surprised-to-see-himself-in-police-video

This killer will be found. He was not cold and calculated. He was angry and sloppy. He has left evidence all over the place. Justice will be served!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici