CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just joined and I have been reading all of the comments and I do have something to add. I am not sure if the killer was driving because I heard from a few people that worked at the Tim Horton's (on broadway close to sv's house) that the night the murder took place there was alot of blood left in the males washroom. Le was informed and the information I was told is that LE did not respond to the call figuring it was probably left from someone that got into a fight at the bar across the street so it was cleaned up. Not 100% sure that this would have been where the killer cleaned himself up but it seems like a big coincidence that so much blood would be left in the males washroom on the same night as SV's murder. The only reasoning that makes sense to me is that this person had to get cleaned up before they could go home because they either live with someone or they were walking and did not want to be seen with so much blood on them?

c125

Thanks for the info and welcome! This doesn't surprise me about the blood and yet the police response does. Did they go back to the Tim's AFTER Sonia's car was found with blood and she was reported missing? That Tim's is across the marshy area behind her townhouse and it always made me wonder about the bar or bars around there too. The perp could have dumped bloody clothes there as well. So he must have gone there after dropping off the car though. The walk from Greenhawk to Tims would allow him to be seen, IMO. Did anyone from the Tims see the guy at all? I know it's rumour but one that will make me wonder....If there are FOUR potential crime scenes and this case isn't solved yet this will make me very discouraged. Sonia deserves justice.

Washing up at Tim's would be risky. However, he took many risks. What about his bloody clothes? He could wash his hands perhaps, but not his clothes and boots.
Come to think of it, police do not ask for fingerprints of those whom they are checking. It is reported that they are only taking cheek swabs. So - perhaps he didn't leave any prints behind (wore gloves?)
Unlike other posters on here, I am not familiar with the area at all. Just wondering about the washing up at Tim's. I don't doubt there was blood in the Men's washroom.

DW

Washing up at Tim's would be risky. However, he took many risks. What about his bloody clothes? He could wash his hands perhaps, but not his clothes and boots.
Come to think of it, police do not ask for fingerprints of those whom they are checking. It is reported that they are only taking cheek swabs. So - perhaps he didn't leave any prints behind (wore gloves?)
Unlike other posters on here, I am not familiar with the area at all. Just wondering about the washing up at Tim's. I don't doubt there was blood in the Men's washroom.

DW

IIRC The Tims employees went into clean the washrooms and discovered blood. They cleaned it up. It was day(s) later when it was released to the media that they heard about SV. LE were then called. Surv tape was either not working or reused.

It is devastating to think of all that potential evidence lost -- all that info and DNA that could help solve Sonia's case. I am hoping this is urban legend. I don't mean disrespect for those who may have heard this info from close sources; rather, I need to cope by questioning its veracity. And yet --
if this info about blood in the Tim's IS true, and IF the timeline does fit, then: I feel really angry at LE for this holdback. Not for the original error if the blood was not at first investigated (especially if not reported??) but for not later releasing a call to the public to recall activity in the Tim's that evening. I know, I know: LE has already asked the public for info in and around the area at the time Sonia disappeared. But: some folks might not connect the donut shop to the townhouse, specifically; some folks need a precise detail to prompt them to come forward. We need info to give info! Again, I feel a lot of anger about all the time lapsed and this precious possible link wasted. I rather hope the "rumour" is not true or that LE has ruled with certainty the blood could not be related to Sonia's case ... for example, if the timeline for the blood found is a mis-match for the period where Sonia was taken from her home.

But: Where are our journalists pressing LE for answers to these questions?

On an only partially related note:
I posted the following question, with some hesitation, at UC:
Was there ever any official COD released in Sonia's death? Here's what the woman who runs or used to run the "whokilledsonia" FB page wrote on another site:

"The Orangeville, Ontario nurse was strangled in her home and her body found in the Caledon woods later on. Men in Orangeville were being told to submit their cheek swab for DNA testing."
(http://fr-fr.facebook.com/whataboutoursons/posts/376208812425071)

Was this ever stated publicly? Would she be right? We know there was blood at the scene, but this is the first that I can recall that someone has definitively stated that Sonia was strangled. I'm not sure if the info can be trusted or not, or what it might add to the quest for justice in her case. But I did wonder if this has been confirmed anywhere else.

It is devastating to think of all that potential evidence lost -- all that info and DNA that could help solve Sonia's case. I am hoping this is urban legend. I don't mean disrespect for those who may have heard this info from close sources; rather, I need to cope by questioning its veracity. And yet --
if this info about blood in the Tim's IS true, and IF the timeline does fit, then: I feel really angry at LE for this holdback. Not for the original error if the blood was not at first investigated (especially if not reported??) but for not later releasing a call to the public to recall activity in the Tim's that evening. I know, I know: LE has already asked the public for info in and around the area at the time Sonia disappeared. But: some folks might not connect the donut shop to the townhouse, specifically; some folks need a precise detail to prompt them to come forward. We need info to give info! Again, I feel a lot of anger about all the time lapsed and this precious possible link wasted. I rather hope the "rumour" is not true or that LE has ruled with certainty the blood could not be related to Sonia's case ... for example, if the timeline for the blood found is a mis-match for the period where Sonia was taken from her home.

But: Where are our journalists pressing LE for answers to these questions?

On an only partially related note:
I posted the following question, with some hesitation, at UC:
Was there ever any official COD released in Sonia's death? Here's what the woman who runs or used to run the "whokilledsonia" FB page wrote on another site:

"The Orangeville, Ontario nurse was strangled in her home and her body found in the Caledon woods later on. Men in Orangeville were being told to submit their cheek swab for DNA testing."
(http://fr-fr.facebook.com/whataboutoursons/posts/376208812425071)

Was this ever stated publicly? Would she be right? We know there was blood at the scene, but this is the first that I can recall that someone has definitively stated that Sonia was strangled. I'm not sure if the info can be trusted or not, or what it might add to the quest for justice in her case. But I did wonder if this has been confirmed anywhere else.

I wouldn't trust anything that woman says (K.O.) She is a known attention seeker. It has not been stated anywhere the actual cause of death and I don't even think her parents know any info. I don't understand really why this info has not been released. I guess it is to protect the investigation.

There was visible blood on the car and the door to her house. I think it was reported that there was blood inside the house, a substantial amount. If she was strangled, I wonder why so much blood? Did she attack him to defend herself and that blood is actually his? This is possible. If she did attack him or wound him, than police would issue a bulletin about looking for a person who was acting strangely, recently moved from the area, increased drug or alcohol usage AND was injured somehow (scrapes, scratches, bandages, etc. )

The information I received regarding the staff at Tim Horton's calling Le on the night of the incident was given to me by one of the Manager's of the store who is no longer there. I picked her up one day to drive her to work a few month's after the murder had happened and I asked her about the whole indicent. She stated that Le did go to their location and investigate and they also went through the dumpsters out back. They did have video in the store but it records 24 hours at a time so it was too late. I just think that it is too bad that this person was so careless and had so many opportunites to be caught and yet here we are going on three years later and they are still among us. All I have to say to the person that committed this crime is that "Your Day Will Come" and believe me we will all be relieved for SV and her family and for our town.

Thanks chislett. I wonder if anyone could remember if the person had a vehicle and approximately what time it was when someone came in to use the bathroom. Did the person order a coffee or just leave? Was he wearing work style clothes? Regular street clothes? Did the person appear drunk? agitated? Was it an older person? A younger person? Man, so many opportunities to get this creep. I'm really thinking this guy didn't have his own car and was either staying with someone nearby or living with others. He obviously knows his way around O'ville. He could have driven Sonia's car past the Tim's and seen it was open and walked back there to clean up. OR he already knew that Tim's was open because he's been there before. JMO

For what it is worth, I don't think (altho not 100% convinced that TH (blood in washroom had anything to do with it). Somehow, somewhere, it was thought that it was due to a bar fight from a bar close by) I believe there are quite a few that go on. Read that (bar fights on the weekend are very common) from a comment by a citizen in the Orangeville.com.:fence:

The amount of blood loss was so great, that the forensics said that there was no way that she could have survived, and LE eventually informed the family. This was before Sonia's body was found.

After the funeral, all of the floors were replaced throughout her townhouse and everything was repainted to set her place up for re-sale. I did note - that all floors were replaced. Hardly strangled, I would think.

But the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. There could be a particular weapon used which is not the COD. That`s not entirely infrequent; I`m sure it does affect LE`s profile for the perp.

I don`t know if the info on COD posted by that blogger is correct or not. But she would have known, like us, about the blood loss sustained in Sonia`s apartment and evident in the car. She was one of the first to report on it.

I don't know about any blogger and what she or he said. All that I know is that after forensics went into her townhouse, (her body was not yet discovered) that the police told the family that it was unlikely that their daughter was alive. Do know this only from up todate news articles.
It was due to the blood loss that she could not have survived.

How she was murdered, is being kept close to LE.
I don't want to be insensative to her family, so it difficult to even bring the above topic up!

To her family: Hold close to your heart that there will be justice for Sonia, and I am so sorry for your loss.
Nothing can ever replace her - but I hope that you will see justice to the person whom has taken her away from you/

Eventually, the killer will caught. Ever hopefull on my part, and I am confident in that. No,I am not a Dreamer!

Dw

I don't know about any blogger and what she or he said. All that I know is that after forensics went into her townhouse, (her body was not yet discovered) that the police told the family that it was unlikely that their daughter was alive. Do know this only from up todate news articles.
It was due to the blood loss that she could not have survived.

How she was murdered, is being kept close to LE.
I don't want to be insensative to her family, so it difficult to even bring the above topic up!

To her family: Hold close to your heart that there will be justice for Sonia, and I am so sorry for your loss.
Nothing can ever replace her - but I hope that you will see justice to the person whom has taken her away from you/

Many rumours will fly, how can one even sort it out?
It goes back to the basics that we do know.

Her car was found by two employees parked behind the tac shop. The blood on the trunk of the car and bumper gave them cause for concern, and they called the police. The first employee in the door prior to the two mentioned, also saw the blood and reported it to her manager. Nothing was done.
It was the other two ladies who worked at the tac shop who were alarmed and called the police.
They lost their jobs!!~

When the press was hot to trot, by the time they heard about it, the cops were already there, and the cops had opened

the two front doors =

and the trunk of the car.

Placed yellow tape around it -

Now we have pictures taken by the press - whom believed that this was the way the car was found

Not true, according to the two main witnesses. The car was not found that way --- as in the press!!

Now I know where I live, I do read in the newspapers, when someone is murdered in the car, first thing that happens, cops open up the doors and trunk.
Standard procedure, yet the press continues on in Sonia's case that the perp left the doors and trunk open when he vacated the car.

Not according the two women who witnessed it./
So in the belief that the perp left 2 car doors and the trunk open is false. IMO

He parked that car neat and tidy in a parking stall and took off.
End of Story =
It bothers me, how things can be so scewed up. I go and do believe the witnesses who worked at that tac shop - and it was nothing like the press reported at all!

In fact on a Facebook for Sonia, the sister of one of the two women stated that the car was not found in the state that the press reported.
T
hese two women noticed blood on the trunk which was down) and the bumper of the car. Nothing reported by them about the car doors open, or the trunk open. They were concerned about a car parked there with blood on the car!

DW

I read a post awhile back, cannot locate it today) whereby the area where sonia was placed was very descriptive about the roadways.He knows the area very well.
He left off by suggesting that the killer may have been very familiar with the area through work.

I hope the poster sees this,as I am not from that area - and it was described so well -
I would like to know what kind of work would be going on in that area. Road maint?

Thanks

I have been following the disappearance of Tim Bosma quite closely. I'm not sure if now I have just become wholly paranoid ever since hearing DM's trailer was parked so tight against the garage it couldn't be opened except by access from the garage, but I am increasingly worried, like some others, about DM's mother.... And now I am feeling anxious about a pic from the twitter account of someone who has been mentioned here and yet who has not been named a POI, but still: 30 pics in, there is a photo of a boot that looks, to me at least, like the type LE has been circulating in relation to Sonia's killer. I know, I know. It's very unlikely there's a relation; it may not be the same boot, or it may be indeed the same boot and the person holding it up is either unaware, or specifically aware, that it is and there is still no connection. But the hashtags are "freshtodeath" and "freeshit" and it is nevertheless anxiety-producing..... Can someone who know something about screenshots take one, just in case?

Same thoughts about Sonia,boots,car,outdoor sports ect...Glad you brought it up!

Dotr, those former young and noisy neighbours of Sonia ....
Do we know who they are? To where they moved? With whom they are friends?

and wow, now DM is being investigated for possible involvement in the missing case of Laura Babcock from 2012....

"Lerner said he gave police Millard’s name from the very beginning, along with names of other friends of Babcock. But he said he became very suspicious after he saw Babcock’s phone record, which revealed that she had called Millard 13 times between June 30 and July 3 of last year. The phone records show that her very last call was made to Millard on July 3"

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police...suspect-missing-woman-1.1286814#ixzz2TbGDJY6f

I wish LE/media would give an update -- well before late August on the anniversary date of Sonia's murder. It was devastating last year when officers were searching swamps and fields on "new evidence" (a tip) and yet nothing was found. I do believe LE wants to solve this case as much as we want them to, and I understand the "anniversary" date is a good time to remind folks LE is still working on things and taking tips. But it's also a particularly hard time, for family especially, I'm sure, for that kind of media blitz around the anniversary date. Why don't we have more to go on? Why don't we have a suspect or suspects? Somebody, somewhere, knows something! I hope anyone who has that "uneasy feeling" in relation to Sonia's or any other case will get over their reticence and make a call. It can be anonymous. And it doesn't matter if the tip seems "small" ....
I wish we could have an update on the dna testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member