CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, guys, this one is way out there, but, I'm posting it anyway.

Some of you may recall, that I had questioned about film crew being in the vicinity of Orangeville to film Splatalot at the time of Sonia's death. I know this for a fact, because a friend of a friend was involved with the production there in some capacity, and was speaking of it, so it caught my attention due to Sonia's murder.

So this freak Adam Strong has been arrested in Oshawa for what appears to be a very heinous crime of murder, possibly cannibalism etc.

This guys has lots of creepy stuff on his FB which is still currently open. Among the references he makes are that he has ties to the Barrie and Caledon area, and that he works in film in some capacity. He is a diver, spends alot of time cooking suspicious things on the campfire etc., there is a photo with an extremely large knife etc. He hates his Mother, spent time in a group home, has some deep issues for sure.

All in all - nothing at all really to tie him to Sonia. By all appearances, he is likely a serial offender, he seems to "celebrate" special occasions like Halloween, NYE, maybe Labour Day Weekend????

https://www.cp24.com/news/man-arres...package-found-in-oshawa-home-police-1.3740002

https://www.facebook.com/adam.strong.9085

Hello everyone. This is the first time I've ever posted on this website so bear with me. I have been an avid follower of Sonia's murder case and I have posted many times on another website UC. Unfortunately I find myself unceremoniously banned from said website even though I have not posted in quite awhile. I was posting under another name and even though I'm suspicious of why I was banned, I will miss conversing with other posters I have connected with.
So, as someone who is somewhat close to this investigation, I have a bit more insight into one of the crime scenes and I am very sensitive to the integrity of the case. That being said, I have been wondering lately about the fact LE are asking for DNA from POI but not fingerprints. I'm pretty sure the murderer wore gloves. ... just my observation. ..so I wonder if the killer has been fingerprinted in a previous arrest but perhaps didn't ever get charged with something like a domestic dispute? He seemed very concerned about leaving fingerprints behind but was not so concerned about DNA. Maybe he knew fingerprints could tie him to Sonia's murder but he knew his DNA was not in the system so no one would connect him with this terrible crime.
Just my thoughts.

Good point Winnie. So maybe there are not fingerprints as you suggest. He could have wiped prints off of the car knowing those could be traced.

I'm still in shock at how there has not been any progress made in this case. Disgusting.

I'm with you, Matou: it's devastating that all this time is passing and still nothing (as it seems).
Winnie, I'm also a regular poster on the other site and am wondering if we may have corresponded (but I won't pry, I promise). I also have thought a LOT about gloves, especially since Sonia's murderer drove her car. The typical outcome of vehicle-involved crimes (when the perp commandeers a car) is finding prints on the door handles, seat adjustment levers, and rear-view mirror (the two former are more challening for pulling prints but the mirror is a classic. I know because I spoke to a high-profile criminal investigator I met on holiday in the US about Sonia's case). Either the perp wore gloves or wiped -- both of which suggest a profile (to me) that is outside the narrative LE seems to have consistently given: panicked, possibly on drugs, risk-taker. I've never bought into that.

Of course a THIRD option is that there were mountains of prints but all of these could be accounted for: family members, friends she may have allowed drive her car, bf.

Hi 2soccermom. Yes, we have communicated at length and for some reason I have been banned from UC. I'm very suspicious that LE might have taken the item I gave them very seriously and asked that I be removed. Of course, I could simply be reading way too much into this. No one has approached me about the tip I gave concerning Sonia's case even though I was told LE would be contacting me shortly. It tells me my tip is of no interest in Sonia's murder or perhaps it means everything and LE don't want anyone to know they might be on to something. Time will tell, I guess.

I sent you 2 pms (same message), Winnie, but can't see them in my sent mail so if you don't have anything from me tonight let me know.
I keep hoping we'll have some word, soon.

I find it interesting that you said that you are banned from UC. I seem to be banned as well as I can't log in or register or anything. Even when they update their site, I still cannot log into it. I was wondering if this is happening to you or are you getting a message that you are banned from the site?

hi Julia --
It is unlikely you are banned (as Winnie wasn't); it's a glitch in the system. I've pm'd you more info.
Bumping for Sonia. Wish we could have a crack in this case sometime soon. It seems so long in coming.

If the perp wiped his fingerprints or wore gloves -- doesn't this potentially at least suggest a different profile than the one put forward by LE? Young, "risk-taker," on drugs? I have been somewhat vocal ever since following Sonia's case that I respectfully disagree with this assessment.

I think it is quite the opposite from a young risk-taker perp. This guy is organized and planned to do what he did. I bet this is why he wore boots to the scene. I also think there is much more to this case with the involvement of the other law enforcement precincts and the FBI. The question is why would someone plan and deliberately kill Sonia? She was a low risk victim. There is something special about this case and I suspect the victim for this crime to have occurred. I do do not believe that the police are always honest and forthcoming with the public on their investigations. If they think they have a serial killer on there hands, they won't come out and say it. I think that there are other cases out there that are linked to this one. If this was a panic stricken attacker, he would never have removed Sonia from her home. There was a reason for that? The question is what was that reason.

AGREED, I wonder if LE put out the profile as a herring while watching someone crafty --
or if they genuinely believed this original determination? LE has given contradictory info over time in Sonia's case (random act, close perp) so I'm not sure what is strategy and what is uncertainty.....

I think that they really had no idea what they had at the beginning of this investigation. I believe that they did think this was a random act from someone in the Orangeville area and this is why they focused the DNA search there. But at this point in their investigation, they must have enough information to say at least whether this was random or targeted. A big indicator for me that she was targeted was her activity on Plenty of Phish. From here, I think she was targeted. The only reason, I can think of, for her to be moved from her home is because there was something special about the location of where she was found. Some meaning to it. LE has said this as well with their profile and I think they are right. If this was some disorganized killer, they would have left her and ran from the home. He had a deliberate intention in the things he did including where he left her car with the doors open drawing attention to it. There was purpose to this as well.

DRAT! Everyone in O-ville keep your eyes out for missing young woman Kimberly Legault-Caston. Let's hope for a good outcome here. From https://www.orangeville.com/news-st...k-public-s-help-locating-missing-ottawa-teen/ :

"Orangeville police seek public’s help locating missing Ottawa teen
NEWS 03:09 PM by Chris Halliday Orangeville Banner
Missing woman
At about 2:15 p.m. on Thursday (March 1), police report Kimberly Irene Legault-Caston was seen entering a wooden area after leaving the Tim Hortons restaurant at 46 Broadway. - Courtesy of OPS

Police are asking for the public’s help in locating a 17-year-old girl last seen entering a wooden area after leaving a Tim Hortons in Orangeville.

At about 2:15 p.m. on Thursday (March 1), police report Kimberly Irene Legault-Caston was seen entering a wooden area after leaving the Tim Hortons restaurant at 46 Broadway. She hasn't been seen or heard from since.

Police say Legault-Caston has ties to the Orangeville and Brampton area, but may be making her way to Ottawa where she resides.

Legault-Caston is described by police as a white female, about 5’5” tall and 160 lbs. with a medium build and shoulder length pink/red hair. She has blue eyes and a “4Autism” tattoo on her left forearm.

The teenager was last seen wearing black leggings with the word “Believe” on the left leg, a black hoodie and multi-coloured high-top skate shoes. She was carrying a black purse with camouflage pajamas inside.

Police wish to confirm are asking to hear from anyone who has spoken to or seen Legault-Caston since she was reported missing.

Anyone with any information about her whereabouts is asked to call Orangeville police at 519-941-2522, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477, or submit a tip online at crimestopperssdm.com."

I accidentally deleted this reply and then equally accidentally recovered it :)

Julia -- yes, removing her is an unusal MO. I recall that there was some discussion about the location where Sonia was left on another site; there was speculation at one time that her killer may have intended to bring her to or near the location of her on'and'off bf to draw suspicion there (but had to double back for time, or--?). His residence was apparently in that direction from her townhouse. IIRC, someone may even have map-pinned a route to support that theory.
There have also been disputes on whether the car was found with the doors and trunk open or if this was the result of LE investigation as journos arrived to document. I now believe the latter.
I lean to chilling purpose over "reckless" behaviour, myself. The crime is the act of a madman, if course, but I suspect there was deliberation pre- and post-event. I'd still just LOVE to know if LE got prints from the rear-view mirror or if it was "wiped"; we'd learn a lot from that info. I just think the profile of a panicking teen, probably on drugs, would have translated by now into an arrest.
Taking her car meant he was not exposed walking in public view (he surely would be covered in blood!?) but the milion dollar question, as always and as you acknowledge, Julia, is why bring Sonia as well? Various other theories than the framing one above suggest because he could be connected to her as an intimate, or to the townhouse complex, or (creepiest as this is to type) that he intended to return to visit her body later, as fits the profile of some SKs -- or?

A teenager reported missing has been found by Orangeville police in the Mill Street library.

After seeking the public's help in locating the 17-year-old late Friday afternoon (March 2), police reported the girl had been found safe and sound a few hours later.

Police said the teenager was last seen entering a wooded area near the Tim Hortons restaurant at 46 Broadway early Thursday afternoon. Police credited a tip from a vigilant citizen for aiding the case.

A teenager reported missing has been found by Orangeville police in the Mill Street library.

After seeking the public's help in locating the 17-year-old late Friday afternoon (March 2), police reported the girl had been found safe and sound a few hours later.

Police said the teenager was last seen entering a wooded area near the Tim Hortons restaurant at 46 Broadway early Thursday afternoon. Police credited a tip from a vigilant citizen for aiding the case.

Nice to " see you " Valleyboy!

I really wish there was a break in Sonia's case. It would be awesome if the police would bump for Sonia and give us SOMETHING. One thing I've noticed after watching so many Dateline episodes and Forensic Files is that most perpetrators operate within the areas of which they are very familiar with. Something in their brains reacts to the stress of what they have just done and it seems they almost go on autopilot. There seems to be elements of a disorganized killer layered over someone who had somewhat of plan. Maybe the perpetrator had thought out the actual interaction with Sonia, only to have those plans go horribly wrong when she reacted the way any of us would have done when faced with such an intrusion. I just can't get my head around the fact that he took her out of the house. Perhaps it really was to put some distance between himself and the crime and buy some time. I have no doubt he was familiar with where he took Sonia's body and I believe he somehow knew her from the neighborhood or had a casual relationship with her. There was such an element of rage in the attack it's very disturbing to know this person is still out in society walking among us.

SO glad to hear this good news of the missing teen found safe -- if only more cases ended exactly this way!

Winnie, I'm with you. It's hard not to despair that there is STILL such silence in Sonia's case. I so agree: that he took her is significant. But how to know exactly why.....
SIGH. How can so much time pass with no movement?

Always thinking of the Briton. Sometimes thinking of someone from Orangeville (young, construction industry). Both only intuition or something like that.
BUT: nothing happens. So I'm wrong, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419