CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope investigators are looking at him. People interviewed have said this would spread further than the two murder cases on trial, and so it should. I think of Audrey Gleave, too.

Do we know where scenes were shot in Man on the Train? Has anyone seen it?

Strange that he also worked in a coffee shop. He owned a boat, too. Travelling long distances between crimes might not be noticed, if it were for work or pursuit of a hobby.
Other films shot in Orangeville..fwiw
Filming Location Matching "Orangeville, Ontario, Canada" (Sorted by Popularity Ascending) - IMDb

''Man On The Train 2011 Orangeville, On set''

You offered an interesting theory that he may have moved Sonia's body in order to revisit her later. This is indeed something a serial killer would do but I disagree that this was his reasoning. If it were, she would have been placed in a more remote location. I also don''t think he walked around covered in blood as he could have used an outside hose to wash up with. I am suspicious as to Sonia's cause of death. I am wondering if she was beaten like Shelley Loder. If this is the case, then they do have a possible sketch of the suspect seen around the location of Shelley. I am even wondering if this sketch was generated by Shelley herself. They also haven't released the cause of death on Sherry McEwan from Sudbury. What if it is the same as Shelley's as well. Possible serial Killer? I guess we just have to wait and see what transpires in their investigations. I will be hoping that information is released Aug 30. We will see.

I noticed quite a number of dive shops and a diving club in Sudbury, which kind of surprised me.

Then I started thinking about diving locations on Georgian Bay. I wonder if there is some motivation that no one has made sense of yet, like a serial killer in Ontario who is drawn to diving sites in a fairly large region. Georgian Bay is a big area, but specific sites are of interest to divers, like the shipwrecks near Tobermory, on the Bruce Peninsula. This is very much a seasonal activity, from maybe June to October.

I came here to think about new possibilities. Some things may seem unconnected, but maybe they aren't. So maybe this type of specific interest could drive apparently unconnected crimes against victims chosen because they were there, in a broad area. Maybe a victim type isn't limited, except by opportunism due to the perpetrator being in the area to pursue a specific interest. Boating, fishing, etc. May be part of this.

Let me know what you think, WSers.

It seems to me that until and unless police release more details about Sonia's murder, this case will remain unsolved. How can it be that after 10 years and no one apprehended, we know next to nothing about what happened on that night? We know she must have been attacked with a weapon of some sort. We know that no one reported a gunshot. That's about it.

Sonia's family deserves better than this. Tell them what they need to know. This does not need to compromise the investigation. A simple statement doesn't have to reveal precise details. I'm sure that they dread never knowing what happened. Uncertainty is the worst torture of all.

How can someone who might hold the key to all this know that they do, if they know nothing about that night? It just doesn't make sense. How can someone come forward when all we know is that someone entered Sonia's home and murdered her? The current approach falls short.

Does anyone know if Sonia's cat Jasmine went missing before police arrived at Sonia's home, or did she slip out the door while the investigation was going on? I know she showed up again days later.

I am thinking back to what Sonia's mother said about Sonia possibly letting the cat in. Thank you.

This article from a few years ago discussed acts of animal cruelty in the Dawson Road and Townline area of Orangeville.

Person or persons killing, mutilating small animals in Orangeville neighbourhood

One animal was posed at a school. The violent acts were not thought to be connected.

I have wondered if anything similar was going on in town back in 2010. I did some reading today, and noted that Sonia had cat figurines outside her townhouse.

Sonia's neighborhood has changed. If anyone exhibited bystander behaviour then, that certainly wasn't the case this past summer, when throngs of people took to the street after a shooting and other disruptions on Amanda Street. It was enough for police to urge them not to become vigilantes. These people are fed up, and they're not going to let some bad apples ruin their community.

VIDEO: Resident ‘thrilled’ by large police presence in Orangeville neighbourhood amid concerns following shooting, assault

This article from a few years ago discussed acts of animal cruelty in the Dawson Road and Townline area of Orangeville.

Person or persons killing, mutilating small animals in Orangeville neighbourhood

One animal was posed at a school. The violent acts were not thought to be connected.

I have wondered if anything similar was going on in town back in 2010. I did some reading today, and noted that Sonia had cat figurines outside her townhouse.

Here's a link to more cases of animal cruelty in and around the area:

Canada - Serial animal killer on the loose in London Ontario? - Dec. 2016

I remember when that movie was being filmed! I have brain fog today, can someone clarify, is someone suggesting that Adam Strong could have been working as security personnel on set in Orangeville at the time of Sonias' murder? It's entirely possible that there's a connection to film security or personnel working on a crew. Does Adam Strong have a Linkedin account? If I'm following along properly, maybe the credits for "The Man On The Train" lists the security company that was working on set, Idk? Or maybe I'm not making any sense, if so I apologize!

I'm a bit confused about the mention of diving. I can see how someone who is into diving, boating etc could be "layering" their personal interests or using it as a cover but am not sure what that has to do with Sonias' case. For other cases... very much agree. Someone who is into diving and boating could very easily use this as a method for "disposal" or concealment.

If Sonia, Shelly Loder and Sherry McEwan are all connected and all local (using that word local very loosely and I am not saying I think they're connected) then how can we say they are all the victim of a perpetrator who is traveling long distances? Unless no one is making that suggestion? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I would say that if these 3 cases were connected to someone in trucking, what routes do truckers typically take? What kind of traffic goes through these areas? What kind of "cargo" would they be hauling (I don't know trucker language lol)? For example a truck hauling poultry from/to a chicken farm. They have to stop and unload somewhere right? Idk, just grasping at straws here.

I can only speak for myself. I have a number of different thoughts, based on my desire to look at new possibilities concerning Sonia's unsolved murder.

One thing that stood out to me was the amount of past discussion here about Sonia's cat. What if Sonia was not the intended target, but someone was trying to take her cat, and a series of events unfolded from there? Sonia had cat figurines outside her home, and she lived on a green space. I found instances of animal cruelty after 2010, near Townline Road in Orangeville. That's the nearest main road to Sonia's home. I couldn't find news articles about animal cruelty in Orangeville in 2010, but that could be a matter of articles expiring on the internet, or lack of news coverage.

I also read that the OSPCA has withdrawn from enforcing animal cruelty laws.

OSPCA Withdraws From Enforcing Animal Cruelty Laws

This made me think about what kind of connection there was back in 2010 between OSPCA investigators and homicide investigators. Was there a communication protocol between the OSPCA and the Orangeville police or the OPP? Would anyone have thought to consider a connection between animal cruelty and murder, and review or investigate any possible links? I don't know.

In case this sounds far-fetched, consider that there was a well-known murder and dismemberment of an Orangeville man by another Orangeville man in London, Ontario in 2013. The man eventually convicted of murder had previous ties to London as a college student. A news article mentioned that he had confessed to a psychiatric nurse that he had tortured animals in the past. I don't know if he had ever come to the attention of the OSPCA or not. It's hard to believe that a young man went from animal cruelty to a horrific murder, but it did happen.

Next. I read an article by Michael Arntfield.

The preferred jobs of serial killers and psychopaths

He talked about overlooking connections between crimes. He talked about occupations that seem to attract or lend themselves to being a serial killer, the changes brought about by the gig economy and asks, "Could “occupation,” for instance, denote a primary vocation, a part-time avocation or even just a paid hobby or pastime?"

Geographic profiling is one tool, but what about murders committed over a broad area with similarities? Could a hobby or interest be what brings a serial murderer to an area for no apparent reason? If they are in the area for temporary employment and leave when the job is done, no one would question their departure. Isn't that what investigators hinted at when they said Sonia's killer may have left the area? Similarly, a college student would have a perfectly good explanation for departing a job and an area at the end of summer.

A hobby or interest could bring someone to an area temporarily for what seems to be a benign reason. We know that Sonia's brother Viv invited her to Wasaga Beach to Sea-doo on the last day of her life. We know that Sonia loved to ski, hike, dance, and we even saw a brief video clip of her rowing a boat.

Hobbies and interests are opportunities to scout out victims for depraved people. Who would think twice about a diver or a fisherman with a knife? Even campers and hikers carry knives for perfectly legitimate uses. After a day of fishing, who would find a small amount of blood on clothing a surprise? Hunting is another outdoorsy pursuit where a bit of blood wouldn't be remarkable, although not at the time of year when Sonia was murdered. Some people have multiple outdoor hobbies and interests at different times of the year, as did Sonia herself.

We have no idea if there are similarities to any other murders or crimes against persons or animals, because no details have been released. How can this case go any further without facts and information released to people who might be able to connect them? It can't. Not even a brief description of cause of death in over a decade.

Last edited:
Here's a link to more cases of animal cruelty in and around the area:

Canada - Serial animal killer on the loose in London Ontario? - Dec. 2016

I remember when that movie was being filmed! I have brain fog today, can someone clarify, is someone suggesting that Adam Strong could have been working as security personnel on set in Orangeville at the time of Sonias' murder? It's entirely possible that there's a connection to film security or personnel working on a crew. Does Adam Strong have a Linkedin account? If I'm following along properly, maybe the credits for "The Man On The Train" lists the security company that was working on set, Idk? Or maybe I'm not making any sense, if so I apologize!

I'm a bit confused about the mention of diving. I can see how someone who is into diving, boating etc could be "layering" their personal interests or using it as a cover but am not sure what that has to do with Sonias' case. For other cases... very much agree. Someone who is into diving and boating could very easily use this as a method for "disposal" or concealment.

If Sonia, Shelly Loder and Sherry McEwan are all connected and all local (using that word local very loosely and I am not saying I think they're connected) then how can we say they are all the victim of a perpetrator who is traveling long distances? Unless no one is making that suggestion? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I would say that if these 3 cases were connected to someone in trucking, what routes do truckers typically take? What kind of traffic goes through these areas? What kind of "cargo" would they be hauling (I don't know trucker language lol)? For example a truck hauling poultry from/to a chicken farm. They have to stop and unload somewhere right? Idk, just grasping at straws here.

Speaking of Adam Strong, Michael Arntfield has spoken about him, too.

Serial killer fears in Oshawa case | Toronto Sun

“Research has shown that gas station attendants are the third most frequent serial killers among unskilled labour,” he said. “Security is number one among administration jobs.”

He added: “He’s ticking two major boxes right there.”

“I don’t want to be seen to be raising the alarm but this could be just like McArthur,” Arntfield said. “This could be a train that no one can stop. And there could be a lot more. This investigation will spread, mark my words.”

FYI, Adam Strong owned a boat and was fond of diving, a sport in which a knife of some sort is necessary gear.

HUNTER: Accused Oshawa torso killer says 'I'm generally a very nice man' | Toronto Sun

I hope I am not posting excessively, but I wanted to mention something I found very peculiar in what the police said about Sonia's home. They said there was no sign of forced entry. This troubles me.

I started thinking back to a case in B.C. several years ago. The police there were very clear in stating that an intruder had committed "break and enter" when he walked into a home through an unlocked door and abducted a little boy in the middle of the night.

So how is entering a home through an unlocked door "break and enter" in one province, but not "break and enter" in another? Police in B.C. made it clear that unauthorized trespassing was what made it an illegal entry, not whether a door was locked or unlocked, or if nothing was actually broken into. Police in Orangeville said there was no sign of forced entry to Sonia's home. There does not need to be "forced entry" for the threshold of "break and enter" to be met. It only requires an act of trespassing, or unauthorized entry with intent to commit crime.

So what were the police saying in Sonia's case? Are they saying that she did know her killer after all, and/or she let him in willingly? That's how it looks to me now, after a lot of thought.

There have been so many cryptic clues.

A link for more clarity on B&Es.

Breaking and Entering Charge in Calgary | Michael Oykhman Criminal Defence Lawyers | (403) 630-8835 | T2R 0C5

Last edited:
Gina 20 you are not posting excessively. Keep it up. If people don’t post and offer ideas, this might never get solved. It’s been over 10 years and so far her killer is free. If things keep going the same way, things will stay the same. If we want something different to happen, eg. An arrest, then different methods, different ideas have to be explored. Nothing else seems to have worked, so why not offer your ideas? Wouldn’t it be great if one of them was right and helped solve this case?

Gina 20 you are not posting excessively. Keep it up. If people don’t post and offer ideas, this might never get solved. It’s been over 10 years and so far her killer is free. If things keep going the same way, things will stay the same. If we want something different to happen, eg. An arrest, then different methods, different ideas have to be explored. Nothing else seems to have worked, so why not offer your ideas? Wouldn’t it be great if one of them was right and helped solve this case?

I wish that this would be solved!

I've been looking up brutal murders with "no sign of forced entry". This guy came up:

No signs of forced entry, officer testifies at day three of Marpole murder trial - SooToday.com

Rocky Rambo Wei Nam Kam was found guilty of murdering a Vancouver couple in their home in 2017, for no known reason. He bought an axe, a knife and a baseball cap at a Canadian Tire store in advance of the double murder. Video images of him in the store were shown at his trial. He stole their Kia Soul and slept in it afterwards, tossing the keys after he abandoned the car a few blocks away from their home. He discarded his bloody clothes later, including his only pair of pants.

He later claimed that he was in a video game state of mind. That did not receive credence at trial. He was sentenced to two life terms served concurrently. He will be eligible for parole in 25 years.

His random act of extreme violence against two strangers included torture, after which he ate a peach and drank milk at the victims' home.

The Devil is in the details.

I really wish we could enlist the help of the residents of Amanda Street and Spring Street who stood up and spoke out against their gun-toting neighbors, convincing police to step up to the plate and shut down the drug house. They understand the power of community, and the importance of not standing by and doing nothing. Maybe some of them were there in 2010. I like to believe that Sonia was looking down on this and giving them strength. Just imagine what all of those community-minded citizens could have accomplished in 2010, with all those eyes and ears on the streets of Orangeville. Maybe it's not too late. Sonia, if you're listening...

I don't believe the police ever stated that there was no forced entry into Sonia's home. I believe they responded to a question from the media, stating something to the effect of, you're assuming the doors were locked. The police can say anything they want to and they are known to misinform the public intentionally. I'm not debating that Sonia did leave her door unlocked. I'm just taking this information with a grain of salt.

I don't believe the police ever stated that there was no forced entry into Sonia's home. I believe they responded to a question from the media, stating something to the effect of, you're assuming the doors were locked. The police can say anything they want to and they are known to misinform the public intentionally. I'm not debating that Sonia did leave her door unlocked. I'm just taking this information with a grain of salt.

In news story after news story over the years, one line has remained consistent, and that is "no sign of forced entry". Other "facts" have changed, or been dropped. Ironically, this nugget of information is the one that might be the least important. Break and enter can occur without forced entry and without anything being broken. It is the act of entering without authorization, or even unauthorized entry of a portion of the premises, with intent to commit a crime, that makes it a B&E. Interesting that "break and enter" has never been mentioned, to my knowledge.

This seems very cagey, IMO. Yes, police did say something like, "You're assuming the door was locked."

Why the focus on this particular piece of information, when forced entry is not necessary to meet the threshold for "break and enter"? Why no mention of B&E?

Are we to assume that Sonia's killer did have authorization to enter her premises, then? Whether the door was locked or unlocked by somone with a key, was someone authorized to be in all parts of Sonia's home? No B&E would make sense in this context. That would certainly narrow the field of who killed Sonia, wouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa