CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #4

1700333068924.png

''After 13 years, search continues for Sonia Varaschin’s killer​

$50,000 reward still on the table​

August 30, 2023
''It is now a 13-year-old mystery, but one that police are still actively investigating. Who killed Sonia Varaschin?
In an update provided on Aug. 30, the anniversary of the 42-year-old Orangeville woman’s abandoned Toyota Corolla being found in downtown on Broadway, Ontario Provincial Police said they continue to ask for the public’s help in solving the case.
Varaschin was last seen alive visiting her parents’ home near Bolton, on Sunday, Aug. 29, 2010.
Her white Toyota Corolla was found abandoned in an alley behind a Broadway business at 10 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 30. Its front doors and trunk were open, with blood smears visible on the rear bumper.
Shortly before 9 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 5, a walker in a wooded area off Beech Grove Sideroad in Caledon discovered human remains. The remains were later identified as belonging to Varaschin.''

Copied from dotr’s post above

Her white Toyota Corolla was found abandoned in an alley behind a Broadway business at 10 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 30. Its front doors and trunk were open, with blood smears visible on the rear bumper.

Was there a get away car waiting for the killer to escape in? Did he quickly jump from Sonia’s car into another car? Is there camera footage from the buildings near her car?

Copied from dotr’s post above

Was there a get away car waiting for the killer to escape in? Did he quickly jump from Sonia’s car into another car? Is there camera footage from the buildings near her car?
I've been asking this question for literally years! No cameras between Oville and Caledon? If not, did this person already know the best routes or were there just no cameras?

My heart goes out to Sonia and her family.

I've been asking this question for literally years! No cameras between Oville and Caledon? If not, did this person already know the best routes or were there just no cameras?

My heart goes out to Sonia and her family.
So, let’s look at men who have access to and the ability to turn off cameras. Have they all been looked at by LE? Or, is the killer LE himself?

So, let’s look at men who have access to and the ability to turn off cameras. Have they all been looked at by LE? Or, is the killer LE himself?
I'm thinking that it would take a lot of planning and prep to systematically shut down any cameras along the route. Prior to the murder? I am doubtful, that is a lot of planning and there is a high risk of being seen by passers by. I also don't know how one would go about locating cameras ad then disabling them. Esp cameras belonging to shops, gas stations etc.

There have been rumors about LE/OPP being a perp in a number of cases. I'm not sure how much stock I put into that theory. Maybe many years ago, during the 60's and 70's in and around rural Ontario something was definitely going on (IMO). Referring to Murder City and Forest City Killer as the rumors were published. I don't want a timeout, I'm just confirming that there were rumors, not to discuss any of them!

Let's hope 2024 brings answers! I've lost a bit of touch in terms of what has already been posted here in the last while. Here's an encapsulation from The Inquisitor on youtube that covers a lot of what also appears on Sonia's 4 threads:
-- might be helpful for any folks new to her case who'd like a quick catchup-? Apologies if someone has already posted it. There's nothing really new here. In discussing Sonia's case, the piece refers to the murder of Audrey Gleave and the attack on Shelley Loder around the time of, and in some general proximity to, Sonia's murder. (There is also mention of Kera Freeland, who was found murdered on Heart Lake Rd; note that her case has been solved.)
SIGH. Let's hope the STR technology or other advances will yield something new. My thoughts and best wishes are with the friends, family, and other supporters of Sonia and especially for all unsolved cases.

Small correction to my post above: I *believe* KF's case has been solved (her roommate Chris A was charged) -- but I'm not actually sure if he was convicted.

Let's hope 2024 brings answers! I've lost a bit of touch in terms of what has already been posted here in the last while. Here's an encapsulation from The Inquisitor on youtube that covers a lot of what also appears on Sonia's 4 threads:
-- might be helpful for any folks new to her case who'd like a quick catchup-? Apologies if someone has already posted it. There's nothing really new here. In discussing Sonia's case, the piece refers to the murder of Audrey Gleave and the attack on Shelley Loder around the time of, and in some general proximity to, Sonia's murder. (There is also mention of Kera Freeland, who was found murdered on Heart Lake Rd; note that her case has been solved.)
SIGH. Let's hope the STR technology or other advances will yield something new. My thoughts and best wishes are with the friends, family, and other supporters of Sonia and especially for all unsolved cases.
I really feel that by now, something should have been done with the DNA.

There is no reason not to and the technology must certainly exist so what happened?? Was it a bluff?

It's 2024 what is taking so long?

A few things that have been swirling around in my head about this case:

-I do agree with police that this is someone who was focused on Sonia, and had been watching her. Her townhouse was pretty tucked away.

-It would not surprise me if the killer had gotten into the house quite a bit earlier on and had hidden there lying in wait.

-I don’t think the police ever mentioned a motive; i.e. sexual assault, or robbery. That leaves us to speculate why the killer did this.

-Does anyone here know where the visitor parking for the townhouse complex was? Were any permits issued that weekend for overnight parking?

Last edited:
I am wondering about how useful the DNA sample really is. Is there a reason it hasn’t been used to identify the killer? Is the sample tainted or damaged? Is it not being used because the technology is expensive? Could an infusion of funds be all that is needed for the DNA sample to go to the right lab and be used to identify the killer? I read an article about how DNA was used to identify family members of George Washington.
How can old, old, bones, old DNA , be used so easily to identify people, but newer and fresher DNA samples found at Sonia’s home or on her body or in her car, can’t be matched to a single person or their family member in all these large banks of registered DNA samples that exist today? Is it really possible that not a single person in the killer’s lineage has registered for one of those DNA ancestry sites or is it possible that the DNA held by police from Sonia’s case is not a viable sample?

I am wondering about how useful the DNA sample really is. Is there a reason it hasn’t been used to identify the killer? Is the sample tainted or damaged? Is it not being used because the technology is expensive? Could an infusion of funds be all that is needed for the DNA sample to go to the right lab and be used to identify the killer? I read an article about how DNA was used to identify family members of George Washington.
How can old, old, bones, old DNA , be used so easily to identify people, but newer and fresher DNA samples found at Sonia’s home or on her body or in her car, can’t be matched to a single person or their family member in all these large banks of registered DNA samples that exist today? Is it really possible that not a single person in the killer’s lineage has registered for one of those DNA ancestry sites or is it possible that the DNA held by police from Sonia’s case is not a viable sample?
Wild guess, maybe whatever DNA might have been retrieved, could be from someone who had legitimate reasons for being in SV's home? speculation, imo.

The thing is that LE mentioned the DNA. IIRC it was referred to as a mixture so I'm thinking maybe it would be difficult to test.

I would've thought that considering the FBI were involved on some level that testing and funding wouldn't have been an issue. As others have said, the DNA would have to come up in a system from someone who was caught already as I don't think they are allowed to use DNA from any of those other sources (ancestry etc).

In this article:

It is suggested that “a growing number of high-profile cold cases across North America have been solved in recent years with the help of genetic genealogy. The technique often involves the analysis of relatives' DNA samples voluntarily submitted to ancestry websites. “

So I’m wondering why it can’t be used in this case. Maybe one day a family member of the killer(s) will send their dna to an ancestry site, if they haven’t done so already, and maybe the case will finally been solved. If anyone feels they know who did this, or has a suspicion that their family member may have done this, but they don’t want to phone in a tip, maybe they can send their dna to a website

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back