CANADA Canada - Stephen Lapowich, 28, Toronto ON, 25 Mar 2011 - during P. Rico trip

I wonder if he suffered some sort of head injury.

It is odd, but some people enter what is known as a "dissociative fugue" state where their character changes and they wander off, sometimes a great distance from home, often with amnesiac qualities.

http://[B][/B]neurophilosophy.wordp...ive-fugue-state-forgetting-ones-own-identity/

The wild spontaneity of the trip, and bad planning on his part (going to an unfamilliar, risky part of the world with nothing of value), may suggest something of this nature.

The difficult thing is that (apparently) nothing was noted at customs on the other end (assuming he ever got to Puerto Rico). Security is tight in that part of the world, and I am sure he would have interacted with border police there. They would have wondered why he arrived with few personal effects.
Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, and I think the F.B.I. has jurisdiction there. I wonder if they have made the case public. If so, that may jog the memory of anyone who noticed him on a flight or at any airport.

BBM, The FBI has an office in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It's strange, I spend part of the year in Puerto Rico, but I have never heard anything about this case... Many of my in laws live on the Island, and I was talking to a couple of them the other day about this case...they have not heard anything about it either...Seems odd...JMO

It is beginning to make me wonder if he even made it to the island at all.

I have to re-read all the info. on the case. It seems that not too many people here knew much of the case either. I am pretty current on crime and police related stuff and I don't recall anything about this case. The TPS release from 2011 when he vanished looks much like any routine missing persons case, where the person is found within days or hours.

This article (previously linked upstream) says that Stephen did arrive in Puerto Rico, but disappeared after leaving the airport there: http://www.cp24.com/news/missing-ma...s-after-disappearance-1.1213414#ixzz2OlCsnz3X

So… he was seen on Friday, March 25th when he went to the Toronto airport to catch his pre-booked flight to Costa Rica, but that flight was cancelled. (There was a snowstorm on the Wednesday here, so it’s entirely possible that the flights were backed up.) Would the tour company have issued him a new ticket (to San Juan, PR), travel vouchers and free extras/upgrades to make up for the inconvenience? I wonder why he didn’t fly directly from Toronto to San Juan unless the travel company only routes thru Miami? Perhaps he was meeting up with a travel buddy in Miami? After the Costa Rica flight cancellation he stayed in Toronto (somewhere) on Friday and Saturday, and on Sunday, March 27, he traveled TO-Miami-San Juan and hasn’t been heard from since.

I wonder if he was registered on JDate? (I took a cursory look but didn’t find anything http://www.jdate.com/; there are 4 dating preferences: MsW, MsM, WsM & WsW.) Years ago, I had friends who were registered on the site and it wasn’t uncommon for them to fly to LA, NY, or Miami for the weekend to meet a potential love interest.

To me, it does sound as if he was a planning a clandestine holiday getaway. Perhaps the secrecy was just to ensure that his family didn’t try to dissuade him from going? I doubt, however, that he would have not contacted his family after a couple of days in the sun…

His mother’s eloquent plea for help completely gutted me, prayers and answers for Stephen’s family and friends.

Thanks for the clarification on his movements.

Does anyone think he went to Puerto Rico for medical reasons?

I noticed that he had paid for what looks like a hairloss treatment here.

Is there any way he went to Puerto Rico for something he felt was a cheaper alternative there? Medical tourism, where people travel to developing countries for medical procedures is an "in" thing today. Since it would be a sensitive issue, he might not have told anyone in order to, as was mentioned, prevent people from talking him out of it.

He may have not cancelled the treatment here in case he decided to back out in P.R. if he didn't like the facility, etc.

I don't know too much about it, but it could be a possibility.

Whatever his reasons for leaving, one would think he would leave a cyber-trail that would give investigators a clue of exactly where and why he was going.

Thanks for the clarification on his movements.

Does anyone think he went to Puerto Rico for medical reasons?

I noticed that he had paid for what looks like a hairloss treatment here.

Is there any way he went to Puerto Rico for something he felt was a cheaper alternative there? Medical tourism, where people travel to developing countries for medical procedures is an "in" thing today. Since it would be a sensitive issue, he might not have told anyone in order to, as was mentioned, prevent people from talking him out of it.

He may have not cancelled the treatment here in case he decided to back out in P.R. if he didn't like the facility, etc.

I don't know too much about it, but it could be a possibility.

Whatever his reasons for leaving, one would think he would leave a cyber-trail that would give investigators a clue of exactly where and why he was going.

I never thought of that, good point. Have we heard from any of his friends? The time gap before he presumably left is curious. Does that mean that he didnt return home those days? Theres so little information maybe thats why so many of us hadnt heard of this before now. :(

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/2...fe-return-of-north-york-man-missing-two-years

I found this article from the Toronto Sun.

It makes his movements a bit more clear. It also briefly mentions that he had a girlfriend.

Also, it shows that he showed up at Pearson Airport, bought the ticket for Puerto Rico, and had to wait 3 days for the flight to depart. Apparently, no one has any idea where he spent those three days. I was not aware of that before. If he lived alone, nobody would miss him if he were not at his residence, save for unanswered phone calls. How did he get to the airport? Did he have a car, take transit, or did someone drop him off?

The info. in the article also conflicts with other reports that he rarely travelled.

Odd.

I don't thnk we are getting a full picture of what was going on before he decided to go for whatever reason. I wonder what his state of mind was like.
He leaves without booking time off work for 3 weeks. That to me sounds like someone who wasnt expecting to return to his job. Also, most vacation packages are 1 to 2 weeks. I wonder if he booked at a resort or was just flying down there and finding accommodations once he arrived? I hope his family gets some answers. Its good to hear they have hired a PI, that can't be cheap. IMO

I agree with your great points, TTCRider.

The article mentioned that there was no record of him booking into a hotel in P.R. I think that if they could pin him down to a specific resort they would have mentioned it.

We would have more info, because there would be witnesses, i.e. hotel staff to interview, surveillance footage, and so on.

I find it hard to believe that his demeanor and behaviour were perfectly normal prior to his expedition out of the country. Also, walking out of a job for three weeks without telling anyone is an invitation to being fired, in most workplaces.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/2...fe-return-of-north-york-man-missing-two-years

It makes his movements a bit more clear. It also briefly mentions that he had a girlfriend.

Also, it shows that he showed up at Pearson Airport, bought the ticket for Puerto Rico, and had to wait 3 days for the flight to depart. Apparently, no one has any idea where he spent those three days. I was not aware of that before. If he lived alone, nobody would miss him if he were not at his residence, save for unanswered phone calls. How did he get to the airport? Did he have a car, take transit, or did someone drop him off?

Odd.

The article says he bought the ticket from American Airlines. AA does not fly direct from Toronto (YYZ) to San Juan (SJU), you’re routed thru Miami or JFK. I wonder if he was using AAdvantage Air Miles to travel and if that account has been checked for activity/redemption? Otherwise why not just pay the money and hop on a direct Air Canada flight to San Juan?

There are many alternative medical practitioners in Costa Rica, Puerto Rico and Mexico. (A naturopath friend of mine is well acquainted with holistic practitioners in the Caribbean and travels there regularly.) I guess it’s possible that he might have been seeking alternative health care or other procedures outside of Canada. BTW, his photographs show him with a wonderfully full head of hair…

Where are you Stephen?

This article (previously linked upstream) says that Stephen did arrive in Puerto Rico, but disappeared after leaving the airport there: http://www.cp24.com/news/missing-ma...s-after-disappearance-1.1213414#ixzz2OlCsnz3X

So… he was seen on Friday, March 25th when he went to the Toronto airport to catch his pre-booked flight to Costa Rica, but that flight was cancelled. (There was a snowstorm on the Wednesday here, so it’s entirely possible that the flights were backed up.) Would the tour company have issued him a new ticket (to San Juan, PR), travel vouchers and free extras/upgrades to make up for the inconvenience? I wonder why he didn’t fly directly from Toronto to San Juan unless the travel company only routes thru Miami? Perhaps he was meeting up with a travel buddy in Miami? After the Costa Rica flight cancellation he stayed in Toronto (somewhere) on Friday and Saturday, and on Sunday, March 27, he traveled TO-Miami-San Juan and hasn’t been heard from since.

I wonder if he was registered on JDate? (I took a cursory look but didn’t find anything http://www.jdate.com/; there are 4 dating preferences: MsW, MsM, WsM & WsW.) Years ago, I had friends who were registered on the site and it wasn’t uncommon for them to fly to LA, NY, or Miami for the weekend to meet a potential love interest.

To me, it does sound as if he was a planning a clandestine holiday getaway. Perhaps the secrecy was just to ensure that his family didn’t try to dissuade him from going? I doubt, however, that he would have not contacted his family after a couple of days in the sun…

His mother’s eloquent plea for help completely gutted me, prayers and answers for Stephen’s family and friends.

My heart sank when his mother said "I thank you for being here, I realize that probably a 30 year old missing son is not as newsworthy as other things that make the headlines so I appreciate you being here so much". How utterly devastating.... She and her son deserve answers and resources and attention. :please:

I know his mom is trying to reach out to flight attendants. Perhaps targeting those who frequent Toronto, Miami and the Carribean. I wonder if the family has posted on message boards and forums for airline employees. I found this site, a directory of forums: http://www.thirtythousandfeet.com/flightat.htm

Posting his picture and the Toronto Police missing person's press release on these sites would be helpful.

The info. in the article also conflicts with other reports that he rarely travelled.

Odd.

Thanks for the article which gives a few more tidbits to go on, this part seems important...BBM

"His family, White, and private investigators from MKD International have no idea where Lapowich spent the three days between the Friday he initially arrived at the airport and the Monday when his flight departed.

His mother urged anyone who saw her son on those days — March 24-27 — to come forward because they may have information that could be helpful.

Investigators confirmed Lapowich arrived in Peurto Rico, but they found no record of him taking a connecting flight to Costa Rica or checking into a hotel on the island."

Thanks for the article which gives a few more tidbits to go on, this part seems important...BBM

"His family, White, and private investigators from MKD International have no idea where Lapowich spent the three days between the Friday he initially arrived at the airport and the Monday when his flight departed.

His mother urged anyone who saw her son on those days — March 24-27 — to come forward because they may have information that could be helpful.

Investigators confirmed Lapowich arrived in Peurto Rico, but they found no record of him taking a connecting flight to Costa Rica or checking into a hotel on the island."

BBM: Well, here's what I wonder: are there any other ways to travel FROM Puerto Rico?? (Cruise ship, ferry, private rental......)

Odd.

The fact that he showed up at the airport without a ticket for his three week trip to Costa Rica is the weirdest part of this very strange mix. Who goes to the airport and buys the ticket anymore? For an international destination even! And the flight didn't exist it sounds like he was told? He went to the airport to buy a ticket for a flight that doesn't exist? And this may be a bad assumption, but I assume this is a sizable airport being Toronto and he waits three days to take an alternate flight to Puerto Rico? What? Why? Wouldn't Toronto airport have had a large choice of flights daily? Why wait three days to go to a seemingly alternate destination?

How do we know it was planned for three weeks? I know someone asked that upthread but can't remember if it was answered? If he didn't have a ticket, and nobody knew he was going, how do they know it was for 3 weeks?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

There was a large snowstorm that week along the Great Lakes. Because he was travelling via American Airlines, perhaps there was a backlog that affected TO departures and that's why he had to wait a couple of days? One report of the snowfall here:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/grb/?n=032311_snowstorm

I'm still wondering if he was using AAdvantage points for accommodation and perhaps that's why he's not showing up on Visa or MC records for the missing weekend in Toronto?

I read a post upthread that said he had only 200.00 dollars on him when he disappeared ? And his credit cards haven't bee used ? What was he using to live on ?

It could be that he was using some leftover rewards points from something else other than a credit card.

It seems more and more likely that he engineered his own disappearance for whatever reason.

I wonder how the police found out that he went to the airport at all. I am thinking that he bought the ticket there so that there would be no trace of the purchase on his personal computer. Maybe he was banking on police not checking the airlines, or doing so at a point that would give him a head start.

Was he doing all this of his own volition, or was someone helping/encouraging/forcing him?

I wonder what police did find on his personal computer. Did he do research at all on his destination(s), or did he walk into the airport and just pick a country to go to with just a rough idea of what to expect? What was he thinking he was going to pay with when down there?

Where did his cell last ping from ? Also, he landed at Munoz Marin airport in San Juan ? He could have changed planes,and flown to Aguadilla airport,which is on the west coast of the island. There are many Americans and Canadians on the west coast of Puerto Rico. If he doesn't speak Spanish, the area around Rincon, on the west coast, is a possible destination. JMO

The pre-paid hair treatments and baseball dues are what keeps me from thinking it was a planned disappearance... unless they were paid way in advance and whatever made him decide to leave out weighed the loss?? I'm gonna :fence: for a while. This is very mysterious. Leaving his job without notice is alarming to me though.

I rarely post so I hope I am not doing anything wrong by thinking out loud here, but this screams to me a weird dating situation. It sounds like he met someone either in Toronto or online but wasn't sure it was going to work so didn't want to tell anyone just yet and start drama in his personal life. If other sites mention him having a girlfriend, it could be possible he didn't want a paper trail on his CC for this trip to meet some chick, kind of like that south carolina governor who went "hiking". Maybe he was planning to go and tell his GF he went camping or something and tell work a light version of the truth. I had a coworker go to senegal to meet a man, she lied to her family, but told work the truth after she was hospitalized with some tropical something. She had a doctor's note so in our country she couldn't get fired, but after that my boss made a rule that you had to tell work if you were leaving the country.

My other thought was drug mule but I don't find that plausible because the guy had a good job.

The medical tourism part mentioned above also sounds plausible for me too, him having already booked a hair appointment. Which too would have been covered by a doctor's note for work.

Someone up thread asked this question: "Well, here's what I wonder: are there any other ways to travel FROM Puerto Rico?? (Cruise ship, ferry, private rental......)"

This is an area of the world I've traveled in quite a bit. There are many, many ways to get to and from PR. Since PR is technically considered the US, one could easily get to PR's sister islands, like Culebra or Vieques, very easily by boat or small plane. Ferry boat is a very inexpensive.

There are also ferries that go once a week or so to St. Croix and St. Thomas. From there, there are a ton of small islands.

Understand that PR and the waters surrounding it are popular sailing grounds. You've got charter companies in the US Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands (both of which are a short hop away via plane, a bit longer via boat but still do-able), plus people of means who own boats and need crew. Honestly, once you reach Puerto Rico, if you hook up with the right people, you could find yourself anywhere in the Caribbean.

Of course, some island nations have strict immigration controls, others do not. To me, it sounds like this guy left of his own accord for some reason. PR on its own is a big island.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back