Still Missing Canada - Taylor Samson, 22, Halifax, NS, 15 Aug 2015 *Retrial 2023 Guilty*

Jury begins deliberations in Sandeson murder trial

The Halifax jury in the William Sandeson murder trial has begun its deliberations after the judge in the case spent 3½ hours Thursday reviewing evidence from the two-month-long trial and instructing members on the law.

Jurors can find Sandeson guilty of first-degree murder, second-degree murder or manslaughter. They can also find him not guilty.

What the jury in William Sandeson’s murder trial didn’t hear

Bruce Webb worked at Martin Investigations Inc., a private investigative firm in Nova Scotia which is operated by former Halifax Regional Police detective Tom Martin.

Martin Investigations was hired by law firm Walker, Dunlop and Tan – Sandeson’s defence team. A number of investigators were assigned to various tasks to assist defence lawyers, including Webb.

However, the court would find out that while Webb was hired by the defence – he actually helped police in making their case against Sandeson.

The jury also didn’t hear that while the Crown was still presenting their case, the defence asked for a mistrial.

The defence argued for a mistrial on three grounds: there was late disclosure by the Crown, an alleged breach of confidentially by Bruce Webb and William Sandeson’s right to a fair trial.

William Sandeson jury unable to reach verdict after 2 days, deliberations continue

In total, the jury has spent 11 hours considering evidence presented in court and whether or not they believe William Sandeson killed Taylor Samson. So far, they have been unable to reach a verdict.

The jury will resume deliberations Saturday at 9:15 a.m. at Nova Scotia Supreme Court.

Timeline: What happened before and after Taylor Samson went missing

The 6 stories William Sandeson told after Taylor Samson disappeared

So I had to research when would Sandeson have taken the body to Truro, it appears from cellphone records he drove out of Halifax after his girlfriend came back at midnight. I'd think that was quite incriminating. I guess as a witness for the defence she'd say he never left the apartment that night? No one seems to have asked her about that. The reporting on this story seems kind of confusing compared with other cases I've followed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

So I had to research when would Sandeson have taken the body to Truro, it appears from cellphone records he drove out of Halifax after his girlfriend came back at midnight. I'd think that was quite incriminating. I guess as a witness for the defence she'd say he never left the apartment that night? No one seems to have asked her about that. The reporting on this story seems kind of confusing compared with other cases I've followed.

I was reading through the (tweet) coverage of her testimony. She testified that she fell asleep almost immediately after coming back, which would have been after 12:30. I'm surprised she wasn't asked about Sandeson leaving but I guess she couldn't know for sure.

Sandeson sent that phony text to Samson's phone after 2:00 AM so he was still awake.

William Sandeson found guilty of 1st-degree murder

The jury, which deliberated for about 22 hours, returned its verdict at noon on Sunday.

Sandeson appeared impassive as the verdict was read in court.

First-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence without eligibility for parole for 25 years.

Formal sentencing is scheduled for Tuesday, July 11, at 9:30 a.m.

Good news! The case against him was very strong, mainly through his own carelessness with his video surveillance and involving his neighbours. I guess a typical case of being cocky and imagining he was smarter than police.

I wonder how he'd racked up the debt, he didn't seem to be able to explain it to his parents as reasonable costs associated with medical school (for eg I think he'd gone to an expensive school in the Carribean for a year). Had he been ripped off a batch of drugs by someone and was determined to get the money back?

It's all so stupid, if he'd qualified as a doctor $80k would be peanuts, now he's ruined multiple people's lives, as well as his own, certainly wouldn't have wanted a sociopath like that working in the medical system. But I'll also express my opinion, that getting involved in an illegal activity, no matter how profitable, is a very risky thing to do, you can't trust the people you're 'dealing' with.

‘As cold as they come’: William Sandeson sentenced to life in prison for murdering Taylor Samson

A first-degree murder conviction comes with an automatic life sentence with no parole eligibility for 25 years.

On Tuesday, Judge Josh Arnold officially sentenced Sandeson — but not before the court heard from some of Samson’s loved ones.

Wilson said he felt it was important to read his victim impact statement in court and tried to make eye contact with Sandeson as he described how his friend’s death has impacted his life.

“He deserves to know what he did. Not only to Taylor but to people around him. He took away a lot. It wasn’t just one life. He took away dozens,” Wilson said outside court. “I’ve made eye contact as much as possible and I’ve never seen as much as a smirk or a smile. He’s as cold as they come.

'Where's Taylor, Will?' mother asks after killer William Sandeson's sentencing

Sandeson is appealing his conviction and asking for a new trial for second-degree (instead of first-degree) murder: http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifa...am-sandeson-s-appeal-process-slow-moving.html

Chris Hansen, spokesperson with the Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service, said Thursday the court is currently working on transcribing the audio from Sandeson’s trial. That’s expected to be done by the end of March 2018. In the meantime, Hansen said Nova Scotia Legal Aid has to deal with “an outstanding issue about representation.”

On Aug. 1, 2018, there’ll be a status report presented in a teleconference between one of the judges handling the appeal, the Crown and the defence.

At some point after that – it’s too soon to predict when, Hansen said – Sandeson will make his case for an appeal in front of a panel of three judges who would either deny the appeal, or overturn his conviction and grant a new trial.

View attachment 80486

Not sure how long it has been since you lived in Dartmouth but that whole area has gone downhill as far as crime goes.

Primrose and Leaman are adjacent to each other. Here is a rough map and inside the red circle is the Jason MacCullough Memorial Park which honors a 19 year old year old who was shot in the head and his killer(s) have not been brought to justice.

In context of Taylor Samson case, you are right it doesn't really matter as crime is on the rise in the whole of the HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality).

Wish they would release more information and that they would find his body.
Police still trying to solve Jason MacCullough murder 20 years later

Nova Scotia's highest court will begin hearing arguments today in one of the highest-profile murder cases in the province in recent years: the killing of Dalhousie University student Taylor Samson by fellow student William Sandeson.
[...]
Two days have been set aside in the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal for arguments, which will cover a wide range of issues arising from the former medical student's trial.
[...]
A three-member panel will hear arguments from the Crown and Toronto lawyer Ian Smith, who is representing Sandeson. The panel is expected to reserve its decision.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...n-murder-appeal-nova-scotia-halifax-1.5428347

1673480146060.png
Murder victim Taylor Samson, 22, was reported missing on Aug. 16, 2015. (Halifax Regional Police)
1673480202106.png

Jan 11 2023 rbbm

''A video recording of the interview was shown Wednesday at Sandeson’s murder trial. He stands accused of fatally shooting Taylor Samson during a drug deal and later disposing of his body.

Earlier this week, the 30-year-old accused pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in Nova Scotia Supreme Court. His jury trial started Monday.''

In her opening address to the jury on Tuesday, Crown attorney Carla Ball said Sandeson became a murder suspect when police determined that the texts were at odds with his version of events.

Ball said the texts indicate that Sandeson had invited Samson to his Henry Street apartment to buy nine kilograms of marijuana.

Immediately after police realized that a large drug deal had been in the works, Sandeson was placed under surveillance and the search for Samson intensified, the court heard.

A search of Sandeson’s apartment turned up video images from a surveillance system showing the two men entering the apartment on Aug. 15, 2015, at around 10:30 p.m. The images show Samson carrying a large duffel bag.

That was the last time Samson was seen alive. His remains have yet to be found''.

The fourth week of the first-degree murder trial of William Sandeson started with some dramatic testimony from a witness who said he saw a man with a bullet hole in his head slumped over in Sandeson's apartment on the evening of Aug. 15, 2015.

Sandeson is accused of killing Taylor Samson, 22, in a drug deal at Sandeson's apartment in south-end Halifax on the evening of Aug. 15, 2015. Sandeson was 23 at the time.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back