CANADA Canada - Theresa Allore, 19, Lennoxville, QC, 3 Nov 1978

I was just thinking about Theresa's murder a while back and couldn't find her thread here. I'm glad to find it again and want to check out the book. I really hope this is the final answer for Theresa's brother. Such a brutal murder of a vibrant young woman.

I was just thinking about Theresa's murder a while back and couldn't find her thread here. I'm glad to find it again and want to check out the book. I really hope this is the final answer for Theresa's brother. Such a brutal murder of a vibrant young woman.

Wow, this is intriguing!
From link..
''By 2020, Allore was putting the finishing touches on his book and ready to put the 40 year nightmare that haunted his family to rest. Though he could never be certain without DNA evidence that Jean Luc Gregoire was responsible for Theresa's death, he was able to find closure in what he thought most likely happened.

The Canadian release of his book, 'Wish You Were Here,' garnered tremendous media attention that eventually piqued the interest of a woman who went to the police in September 2021 with information that her father, Gerald Lachance, made a deathbed confession that he 'picked up a girl in Lennoxville in 1978' with his brother, Regis, and they 'had their way with her and disposed of her in a culvert near Compton.'

Allore went back down the rabbit hole, where he still finds himself today.

'The fact of the matter is, there is a profile of two pretty good suspects here,' he says.''

''Independently corroborating this woman's claim is a distant cousin named Roger, who also revealed that his father and uncles, were brought in to the police station for questioning in 2004 over a 35-year-old cold case that happened in 1978. ''

July 2 2022 by
The Quebec provincial police (SQ) department is updating its cold case website to help solve cases that are at times decades old. SOURCE: SQ

The Quebec provincial police (SQ) department is updating its cold case website to help solve cases that are at times decades old. SOURCE: SQ
''Quebec’s provincial police force is revamping its cold case website with intentions of making it more user-friendly, and hopefully leading to resolutions to previously dead-end investigations.

Nineteen-year-old Theresa Allore went missing one night near Lennoxville, Que. in 1978, her body was found a year later about 15 kilometres south, in a river near Compton.

Police never arrested or charged anyone, but her brother, John Allore, spent decades trying to solve his sister's murder.

“You just kind of have to catch yourself because your heart is racing a little bit and your expectations getting ahead of yourself,” Allore told CTV news during an independent search in 2006 in the Eastern Townships.''

''He regularly revisits cold cases in Quebec and elsewhere and has found a pattern in the late 70s in the townships, indicating there could have been a sexual predator involved in other disappearances.''

Oct 24 2022
''Unlike the Sûreté du Québec, which recently revamped its cold case website to make it more user-friendly, the SPVM does not have an up-to-date, searchable cold case website.

Except for a few rare instances, it has shied away from using social media to publicize old cases.

"I don't see how you are supposed to generate tips," said John Allore, a victims' advocate who runs a website devoted to unsolved homicides, including that of his sister Theresa, who was found dead in the Eastern Townships a few months after she went missing in 1978.

"The whole idea of something being cold is it is on its last leg. The internal tools are not working anymore, so you need to do public outreach," said Allore.

Stéphane Luce is the president of Meurtres et Disparitions Irrésolus du Québec, a non-profit organization that raises awareness of unresolved missing persons and murder cases in the province.

He says an active website where people can search information is an important tool.

"(Maybe) they're afraid that they'll have to weed through too many tips that may not lead anywhere," said Luce.''

Oct 25 2022
'John Allore, an investigative writer and victim advocate and he is the author of the forthcoming book That Case Is Not Here about a series of unsolved murders in the eastern United States '

Feb 21 2023
''Last week the podcast Crime Junkie put my sister’s unsolved murder back up for discussion with their episode, CONSPIRACY: Theresa Allore. The program brought close to 4,000 daily hits to Who Killed Theresa, a lot for a website about Quebec crime. I want to associate myself with everything in that podcast; it’s excellent and factually accurate. I found their investigative efforts inspiring. I was particularly interested in the hosts’ discussion about a composite drawing made in the early 1980s by the survivor of a sexual assault in the Eastern Townships (the “Female Jogger Attacked” composite made by the survivor, who was both an accomplished athlete and an artist). The picture bears a striking resemblance to a man named Luc Gregoire. Gregoire grew up in the Townships and had a history of arrests for assaults and burglaries in the Sherbrooke area. In 1977 he enlisted in the Canadian military, doing his training in Saint Jean sur Richelieu, where in the fall of that year, Denise Basinet was found strangled and dumped near a highway off-ramp. Gregoire soon moved to Alberta and was eventually convicted of the 1993 murder of a Calgary 7-11 clerk, Lailanie Sylva. Gregoire died while serving a life sentence in Archambault prison in 2015. To this day, the Calgary Police suspect Luc Gregoire of having committed several downtown murders of sex trade workers.''
1677524465637.png

Terrible shocking news.
1680265930915.png
John Allore, a former West Island resident who never let go of his sister’s unsolved homicide through his persistent efforts to solve the crime, died Thursday morning while bicycling near his home in North Carolina.

''The timing of the death is tragic for two reasons. Allore died the day before Global Television is scheduled to air a program Friday night about how his sister, Theresa, went missing, on Nov. 3, 1978, while attending Champlain College in Lennoxville, then a small town next to Sherbrooke. Her body was found five months later in Compton, a village in the Eastern Townships where she was boarding.'

Last edited:
Sad news. There doesn't seem to be much detail locally on what exactly happened.

So very shocking and sad, devastating really for the many supporters of his tireless efforts to find answers for his sister and so many others. Just cannot believe it, my heart goes out to his family and friends.
1680266513972.png
In the months leading up to Theresa's murder, a spate of sexual attacks occurred on campus, but police failed to crack down on the violence. 'I was watching them speculate all these crackpot theories, that she was a runaway, or that she was a drug addict or that she was pregnant and ashamed so she went and hid herself at a monastery, or that she was a lesbian - as if for some reason, that would be cause for you to disappear,' said Allore, (pictured above) with his sister

Sad news. There doesn't seem to be much detail locally on what exactly happened.

How terribly sad! He spent so much time trying to find justice for his sister. It sounds like he had many, many friends who will miss him. RIP and condolences to his family.

rbbm.
''DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- The budget director of Durham, John Allore, was killed in a bike accident in Orange County.

At 7:07 a.m. on Thursday, State Highway Patrol responded to the report of a crash that occurred on Bradshaw Quarry Road near Orange Grove Road.

Troopers say Karen Denisse Maldonado, 26, of Efland, was going west on Bradshaw Quarry Road when she hit Allore who was going in the same direction. He died at the scene.

Maldonado was arrested and charged with failure to reduce speed, to include misdemeanor death by motor vehicle.

Bradshaw Quarry Road was closed for five hours during the investigation.

City council member Leonardo Williams confirmed the news in a tweet saying the City of Durham lost a superstar.''

Durham, my apologies for the sudden tweet earlier. I’d learned something tragic but could not share yet. However, I meant it. for our city and especially our staff. Today, we lost a superstar, Budget Dir. John Allore. On top of all else, these are turbulent times. to all.
— Leonardo Williams (@LeoForDurham) March 31, 2023

Wondering if this was pre-programmed to be posted today? speculation..

''Solving for X

ETA started thread..

March 31, 2023
I have some follow-up thoughts on the 1985 murder of Francine Da Sylva, but in order to get there, I need to revisit two other unsolved murders we’ve covered: the 1979 death of Nicole Gaudreault and the 1975 strangulation and incineration of Diane Thibeault. Solving for x involves bringing an unknown variable to one side, then seeing how other elements line up with that variable – that’s what we’re going to do here – move and reconsider some variables. Thibeault was found in a vacant lot at the corner of St. Dominique Street and Dorchester Boulevard in downtown Montreal. Riding…
READ MORESOLVING FOR X''

Last edited:
rbbm.
''DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- The budget director of Durham, John Allore, was killed in a bike accident in Orange County.

At 7:07 a.m. on Thursday, State Highway Patrol responded to the report of a crash that occurred on Bradshaw Quarry Road near Orange Grove Road.

Troopers say Karen Denisse Maldonado, 26, of Efland, was going west on Bradshaw Quarry Road when she hit Allore who was going in the same direction. He died at the scene.

Maldonado was arrested and charged with failure to reduce speed, to include misdemeanor death by motor vehicle.

Bradshaw Quarry Road was closed for five hours during the investigation.

City council member Leonardo Williams confirmed the news in a tweet saying the City of Durham lost a superstar.''
This is tragic and pretty shocking. I've cycled on those roads quite a lot. It's considered a great area for biking because of the scenic roads through mostly farms and because of the light and mostly courteous traffic. Even during morning commute times, one would expect to encounter cyclists often in that area.

It's premature to say, but IMHO I would suspect distracted driving played a role. Weather around here was mild yesterday.

ETA a quote with this article suggests he may have been biking to a bus stop rather than cycling all the way to work in Durham.

Last edited:
How horrible. John Allore was an excellent crime journalist whose attention to important detail in his web posts is so rare and useful in figuring out crimes. The book Wish You Were Here with Patricia Pearson too is useful, but it is better than a useful book, it is a beautiful book. His podcasts consistently raised my soul somewhat back in the day when circumstances gave me time to listen to them.

So very shocked and saddened to hear about John's tragic death. I only found out last night because I happened to watch one episode of Crime Beat that had just recorded on my PVR. I went to delete it because I was familiar with the case, but something made me watch it to refresh my memory of the details. It was only at the very end where a message came up showing his date of death as 2023.

Not only did John dedicate 44 years to try to solve his sister's murder, but he turned his grief toward being a tremendous advocate for other murdered and missing people. He will be terribly missed both here as a long term member of Websleuths and by so many others who came to love and respect him.

John's obituary

John's website about his sister Theresa's murder:

Who Killed Theresa?

John Allore, may you now rest in eternal peace as you hold your beloved sister's hand forever.

Black feather with rose.png

Last edited:
So very shocked and saddened to hear about John's tragic death. I only found out last night because I happened to watch one episode of Crime Beat that had just recorded on my PVR. I went to delete it because I was familiar with the case, but something made me watch it to refresh my memory of the details. It was only at the very end where a message came up showing his date of death as 2023.

Not only did John dedicate 44 years to try to solve his sister's murder, but he turned his grief toward being a tremendous advocate for other murdered and missing people. He will be terribly missed both here as a long term member of Websleuths and by so many others who came to love and respect him.

John's website about his sister Theresa's murder:

Who Killed Theresa?

John Allore, may you now rest in eternal peace as you hold your beloved sister's hand forever.

View attachment 412623
Well said, Sillybilly.

He was the best brother any sister could have. How sad that he is gone. My condolences to his family.

John Allore's book brought a series of unsolved murders in Calgary back into the spotlight again.

New DNA technologies, such as Othram's, are solving historical murders. I'm not aware of any further developments in these Calgary cases.

In Ontario, another younger brother waited decades for answers. A man was charged last year with the 1983 murder of Sean McCowan's sister, Erin Gilmour. It's not too late to solve murders committed in the 1990s. Maybe John's advocacy for so many others will be his legacy.

John Allore's book brought a series of unsolved murders in Calgary back into the spotlight again.

New DNA technologies, such as Othram's, are solving historical murders. I'm not aware of any further developments in these Calgary cases.

In Ontario, another younger brother waited decades for answers. A man was charged last year with the 1983 murder of Sean McCowan's sister, Erin Gilmour. It's not too late to solve murders committed in the 1990s. Maybe John's advocacy for so many others will be his legacy.
Thank you, will have to check out some of those cases, so many twists and turns uncovered by Mr Allore, it is easy to get overwhelmed or confused, but hoping one day it will all be understood.
From link, ..

''But the biggest bombshell in the book is that they believe they uncovered the brutal crimes of a previously unknown serial killer named Luc Yolande Gregoire. Gregoire died in prison in 2015 after being convicted of only one murder: the 1993 sex slaying of Calgary convenience store worker Lailanie Silva.

But after consulting criminologists, cold-case detectives and witnesses and poring over Corrections Canada and parole board reports, the pair were able to trace Gregoire’s movements from Quebec’s Eastern Townships into Alberta and find compelling evidence that seems to link him to several murders. Allore believes he killed at least five women in Quebec, including his sister. In Calgary, he believes Gregoire killed not only Silva but also Rebecca Boutilier, 20, in early 1993 and Tracey Maunder, 26, in 1992. Both murders have never officially been solved.
“Those are the two that Calgary Police also feel strongly point toward Gregoire,” says Allore, who will join Pearson for an online book launch Oct. 15 organized by Owl’s Nest Books. “But there were many from that era, from 1991 to 1993, known as the Calgary prostitute murders, and I think he is (possibly responsible) for at least another four.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back