Identified! Canada - Toronto, Fem 20-40, Red Armani shirt, nail design, Dismem'd in bags, Mar'22 - Tien Ly

How did he get charged with 2nd degree murder when he allegedly murdered and dismembered his poor mother? I'd really like an explanation on that one...
His friends describe him as being nice & normal before. I'm thinking he had a mental break of some sort. Many are, with the status of the world today. There is a void of compassion, and it sends many over the proverbial or literal edge. Prayers for this boy, his mom's soul, and their family & friends. She didn't deserve this. Especially at the hands of her own kid

His friends describe him as being nice & normal before. I'm thinking he had a mental break of some sort. Many are, with the status of the world today. There is a void of compassion, and it sends many over the proverbial or literal edge. Prayers for this boy, his mom's soul, and their family & friends. She didn't deserve this. Especially at the hands of her own kid
I feel like if it was a genuine mental break, they would've tried to go for an insanity plea, but I don't know. I don't know if 2nd degree murder makes sense for that either, but I suppose there are scenarios where I could? Of course, I'm not a lawyer...a lot of Canadian murderers get very loose sentences. I was an American living in Montreal at the time of Luka Magnotta's murder of Jun Lin (about 5 miles away from the crime scene) and how horrific it was, how much it terrorized Canada, poor Jun Lin's body parts that he mailed and dumped across the country. He was sentenced to only 19 yrs, I believe (murder was in 2012) and will be out when he's in his late 40s, it seems.

I hope Tien Ly is resting peacefully, and that she gets some justice for the horrible way she was taken from this world.

I don't know if the difference between first vs. second degree murder is different in Canada than in the US, but I assume he's being charged with second degree murder since there's no evidence of premeditation. At least in the US, first vs. second degree only depends on whether or not the murder was premeditated, not the brutality of the crime.

I don't know if the difference between first vs. second degree murder is different in Canada than in the US, but I assume he's being charged with second degree murder since there's no evidence of premeditation. At least in the US, first vs. second degree only depends on whether or not the murder was premeditated, not the brutality of the crime.

It's similar in Canada, except we add some additional conditions for first degree murder. If a kidnapping or sexual assault was also involved, it would be first degree murder.

It's similar in Canada, except we add some additional conditions for first degree murder. If a kidnapping or sexual assault was also involved, it would be first degree murder.
See, this is what I was imagining, but with the additional conditions being dismemberment. But IDK if that's reality.

See, this is what I was imagining, but with the additional conditions being dismemberment. But IDK if that's reality.

No, it's not likely going to be first degree murder. But even if he is found guilty of second degree murder, it is still a life sentence.

I'm just gonna say it - <modsnip - namecalling> for anyone to do that, to their own mother - is just irredeemable in every sense of the word, IMO. Regardless of if he did have a mental break at some point, IMO, he had the "logical reasoning" to dismember her (chop her up, let's call it what it is) and leave her remains in garbage bags around Toronto. No matter what issues he faced, no matter what his classmates and friends may have said in his favor, the fact remains that he killed his own mother, dismembered her, and had strewn her remains across garbage bags (IMO, since he alone has been charged with her murder). No matter what he was like in the past or what his friends thought about him, those are the (alleged) facts. Unforgivable. I will pray for his lovely mother (victim) and her family. How terrible to meet this awful fate, and at the hands of your beloved son, no less.

Like I said upthread, East Coast Canada was largely traumatized by Luka Magnotta's murder of Jun Lin. As an American West Coaster living only a few miles away from Magnotta's apartment in Montreal when/where it all happened at the time, I remember it VIVIDLY - and I was only in middle school at the time! The terror of knowing the evil of what he had done, the knowledge of the cannibalistic evil lurking among us, only a few miles away - when Jun Lin's body parts were being sent across Canada and being recovered (may he RIP) - everyone was terrified, traumatized, sickened - I know it's not related to Tien Ly, but that murder quite literally changed my life and I am reminded of it time and time again with this case! I pray for a speedy resolution and JUSTICE for Tien Ly above all else!

Last edited by a moderator:
@JDG - I know you said it would take years - but just wondering IF there might be any updated news on this case? It has been about 2 months since I last asked... :D

No nothing. News blackout means no information.

I wonder if he was jealous because she had a boyfriend. It sounds like it had always just been the two of them against the world. Now, she was dating - and outsider - a threat to her son’s world as he knew it. This is a horrible case. So very, very sad

I wonder if he was jealous because she had a boyfriend. It sounds like it had always just been the two of them against the world. Now, she was dating - and outsider - a threat to her son’s world as he knew it. This is a horrible case. So very, very sad
Not a bad thought, especially with Tien Ly's relationship seeming to get really serious more quickly. It could've been the catalyst to Dallas being in a fit of rage, especially if he didn't like her boyfriend (fiance? I can't remember which) for whatever reason. If that is the case, what a terrible price to pay for a mom trying to find love...

<modsnip - quoted post was removed for many claims with no links as required by Websleuths TOS>

innocent until proven guilty!

I'm just gonna say it - <modsnip - namecalling> for anyone to do that, to their own mother - is just irredeemable in every sense of the word, IMO. Regardless of if he did have a mental break at some point, IMO, he had the "logical reasoning" to dismember her (chop her up, let's call it what it is) and leave her remains in garbage bags around Toronto. No matter what issues he faced, no matter what his classmates and friends may have said in his favor, the fact remains that he killed his own mother, dismembered her, and had strewn her remains across garbage bags (IMO, since he alone has been charged with her murder). No matter what he was like in the past or what his friends thought about him, those are the (alleged) facts. Unforgivable. I will pray for his lovely mother (victim) and her family. How terrible to meet this awful fate, and at the hands of your beloved son, no less.

Like I said upthread, East Coast Canada was largely traumatized by Luka Magnotta's murder of Jun Lin. As an American West Coaster living only a few miles away from Magnotta's apartment in Montreal when/where it all happened at the time, I remember it VIVIDLY - and I was only in middle school at the time! The terror of knowing the evil of what he had done, the knowledge of the cannibalistic evil lurking among us, only a few miles away - when Jun Lin's body parts were being sent across Canada and being recovered (may he RIP) - everyone was terrified, traumatized, sickened - I know it's not related to Tien Ly, but that murder quite literally changed my life and I am reminded of it time and time again with this case! I pray for a speedy resolution and JUSTICE for Tien Ly above all else!
<modsnip - personalizing> The deceased are always painted beautifully when they have been murdered. No one wants to speak badly about the dead. <modsnip - personalizing>

Thanks for taking the time to look!
Moose And Christmas Balls Smiley

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member