GUILTY Canada - Toronto, Female remains found in suspicious package, Apr'16 - Melissa Cooper

http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/34664

On Friday, April 29, 2016, Albert Ian Ohab, 38, of Toronto, was arrested. He was charged with:

1) Indignity to a Dead Body

He appeared in court on Saturday, April 30, 2016, at Old City Hall, room 101.

Anyone who had contact with either Melissa Cooper or Albert Ian Ohab in the days leading up to Tuesday, April 19, 2016, is asked to contact investigators at the Homicide Squad at 416-808-7400, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.

I wonder if charges will be upgraded to murder?

marianne boucher ‏@CityCourtsTO [video=twitter;727531048645607430]https://twitter.com/CityCourtsTO/status/727531048645607430[/video]
Albert Ian Ohab charged with indignity to a dead body after the remains of a woman, found behind a butcher shop.

More weirdness about this case:

Three days after Toronto police sent out a news release seeking any information about Melissa Cooper, a 30-year-old woman whose torso was found behind a butcher’s store last month, a publication ban was suddenly imposed on her identity in a College Park courtroom.

Reporters from the Star and CityNews asked about the discretionary publication ban last Wednesday, and it was lifted by the senior Crown at the College Park courts on Friday afternoon.

No explanation was given in court for why the publication ban had been requested by the Crown on Monday, why it was imposed by the justice of the peace, or why it was now being lifted.
https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...-ban-imposed-on-melissa-coopers-identity.html

Just found out more info from the above link: a hand found in a recycling/sorting plant in Toronto. Possibly linked to Melissa Cooper. :(

“A worker indicated they found what appears to be a human hand in the recycling,” Const. Jenifferjit Sidhu said. “But we haven’t confirmed yet whether the remains are human or not.”

Police cordoned off the area while they searched through the waste.
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/03/recycling-plant-searched-after-possible-hand-found

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/melissa-cooper-butcher-shop-1.3855152
Police want to identify this man in connection with Melissa Cooper murder investigation

30-year-old woman's remains were found behind Toronto butcher shop in April
By Kate McGillivray, CBC News Posted: Nov 17, 2016

attachment.php

In the spring, Albert Ian Ohab, 38, was arrested and charged with indignity to a dead body in connection with Cooper's death. He was later charged with second-degree murder.

Police are asking anyone who recognizes the man in the image to contact police at 416-808-7400, or online at www.222tips.com.
rbbm.

Attachments

• man-sought-in-connection-with-melissa-cooper-investigation.jpg
    man-sought-in-connection-with-melissa-cooper-investigation.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 66
Police told CP24.com Thursday that they have been aware of another person of interest in the case for some time, but have had no luck identifying him so far. Investigators would not say how they believe the man is connected to the case, but they are hoping that the public might be able to help identify him.

In the meantime, the person previously arrested in the case is set to make a court appearance Friday.
http://www.cp24.com/news/police-try...-of-woman-found-behind-butcher-shop-1.3165143

Wow major sanpaku eyes on that guy. See the whites of his eyes from the top. He looks psycho IMO.

Murder degrees have always kind of confused me. By that, I mean first-degree murder v/s second-degree murder v/s third-degree murder v/s manslaughter, etc. I just noticed that the way I said it sounds like "going to school to learn how to kill people."

I looked around to see what exactly "second-degree murder" was in Canada. I didn't really like the answer I found...
"All murder that is not first degree murder is second degree murder."

While searching, I also came across a .pdf that is basically a detailed outline of Canadian criminal law.
It's a whopper (1231 pages), but that's probably because only half a page is used. One side has it in English and the other side has French.

Here are descriptions of the different degrees in the USA. It even gives hypothetical examples. Apparently, voluntary manslaughter is "third degree murder."
First Degree Murder Overview
Second Degree Murder Overview
Voluntary Manslaughter Overview
Involuntary Manslaughter Overview

Jan 14 2019
'She was my best friend,' mom testifies at trial of man charged in murder of Melissa Cooper | CBC News

"The trial of a man charged with first degree murder in the death and dismemberment of a 30-year-old Toronto woman in 2016 began Monday in Ontario Superior Court with emotional testimony from the victim's mother.

Melissa Cooper's remains — a partial torso — were found behind a butcher shop in the Broadview Avenue and Gerrard Street East area. The remains were discovered by a store employee who was doing a routine check of the premises. Her right arm was found on a conveyer belt at a recycling plant in North York but her head has never been found."

"The Crown's evidence is expected to show Ohab was seen at a nearby Home Hardware buying a hacksaw, and blood samples taken from his bathroom weren't ruled out as Cooper's.

Cooper's exact time of death and cause of death have never been determined."
"The defence is yet to make its case."

According to his testimony, the accused said the victim came to his place to borrow a crack pipe and she ultimately overdosed on crack cocaine in his apartment.

He testified that while the victim was doing drugs in his bathroom, he did heroin and passed out on his bed.

He claims when he woke up in the morning, he smelled vomit and found the lifeless body of the victim lying on the living room floor.

According to Ohab’s testimony, he tried to dump her body in a stairwell but he was startled by a neighbour. He then decided to dismember and dispose of Cooper’s body.

The trial is set to resume on Wednesday morning.

Trial resumes for man accused of murdering, dismembering woman found outside butcher shop

Crown asks for 25-year parole ineligibility for man convicted of killing Toronto woman
"Albert Ian Ohab yawned, smiled and interrupted the court proceedings a number of times during his sentencing hearing.

The 41-year-old was found guilty of second-degree murder in connection with the death of Melissa Cooper in 2016. The jury spent less than eight hours deliberating before returning with a verdict."

"Crown attorney Bev Richards read out a victim impact statement written by Cooper’s mother, Michelle Ball. Ball said her daughter had an addiction but she never gave up on her. Ball said the murder has destroyed her and “watching her daughter in the elevator (on video) was like watching a horror story. I wanted to jump up and scream, ‘Run.'”

Ball also said Ohab’s self-serving testimony was delivered without a hint of emotion or remorse in his voice."
"Akhtar told Klumak there is evidence that Cooper was beaten and said she was likely dismembered to conceal those injuries."
"Sentencing is scheduled to happen on April 24."

Christie Blatchford: Dismembering woman’s body was ‘a major chore,’ drug addict tells murder trial

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back