CANADA - Two men learn they were switched at birth in a Manitoba hospital

tarabull

Life is a puzzle.
Reaction score
My heart hurts reading this story...

Snipped...
...It's the third known case of babies switched at birth in Manitoba.

Norman Barkman and Luke Monias of Garden Hill First Nation, a fly-in community 400 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg, revealed in 2015 that DNA tests proved they were switched at birth at the Norway House Indian Hospital in 1975.

Later, DNA tests showed two men from Norway House Cree Nation, Leon Swanson and David Tait, Jr., were switched at birth at the same hospital earlier that year.

My heart hurts reading this story...

Snipped...
...It's the third known case of babies switched at birth in Manitoba.

Norman Barkman and Luke Monias of Garden Hill First Nation, a fly-in community 400 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg, revealed in 2015 that DNA tests proved they were switched at birth at the Norway House Indian Hospital in 1975.

Later, DNA tests showed two men from Norway House Cree Nation, Leon Swanson and David Tait, Jr., were switched at birth at the same hospital earlier that year.
There was so much cultural genocide because of child removals, because of the 'schools' these kids were sent to to Westernise them. But this is just an additional tragic loss. One boy growing up Métis, then finding out he's not Indigenous at all. The other growing up Ukranian and Jewish, now finding out he's Métis and trying to catch up and learn what that means after over sixty years. The loss of and struggle for identity with any case of swapped infants or undisclosed adoption is earthshattering, but this - this is catastrophic. I really do hope that both men have robust support systems helping them come to terms with this. This isn't like a Rachael Dolezal, where someone deliberately took on a background not their own. These babies were raised in the cultures of the families who thought they were theirs, and no one had any idea until DNA came along like a wrecking ball.

It was such a small hospital, one has to wonder - was this incompetence, or was this deliberate somehow? I want to assume it's an accident, but it's happened before in other places. Whoever is responsible is likely long gone. The government didn't have oversight at the time, so they aren't liable. This wasn't a deliberate child removal, as happened so often to Indigenous kids in many different places, my country of Australia infamously did it. (My mum has two very close good friends who are Aboriginal. Both were removed due to white government policy, not because of neglect or abuse, from their birth families.) There is, as far as I can tell, no way for these men or their families to be compensated monetarily for their loss. The man who was sent to a residential school, does he lose the recourse to sue for damages because his DNA says he's Ukranian and Jewish, though his experience was that of an Indigenous kid? Though he thought he was Métis, though the school and the government thought he was Métis and treated him accordingly? What a sad, heartbreaking tangle.

Last edited:
Is this a different case involving 4 men switched at birth?

Is this a different case involving 4 men switched at birth?

It looks like different cases. This thread is about two men born in 1955. The separate thread you linked is about men born in 1975.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back