Casey & Family Psychological Profile #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to know what Casey's emotional IQ is.

I only know of cognitive but if emotional IQ involves being aware of what you are feeling and how to express, identify and control yourself, I would say she is pretty low ( like -) on that scale. I call her an emotional cripple. We all know she is able to identify anger but that is it, she does not know what to do with it and how to control it. She does not read other people and she lacks insight into problems. It appears that everything she expresses are thoughts and words of what she heard others say. She does not know the difference between thinking and feeling....very important to decipher. She shows no signs or ability to think and reason. There is nothing going on in her brain to identify problems and solve them...she is simply an emotional-driven person. This probably kicked up quite a few notches at adolescence. The parents "Walked on eggshells" for years, likely thinking she will change and all will be well.

Verité;3242488 said:
Originally posted by OneLostGirl:

to contribute extreme features of narcissism seen in personality disorders,
such as both NPD & BPD. Lying, splitting, and dissociating are mechanisms
of defense seen to greater or lesser degrees in a range of personality styles and disorders, and the extent of these should not obscure but illuminate
diagnosis. For example, the mechanism of "splitting" the world into
rapidly-shifting all good or all bad components is a predominant
aspect of borderline functioning.

A "proper" diagnosis wouldn't include a "handful" of personality disorders,
although a diagnosis of BPD suggests sufficient heterogenity to include
several features, such as BPD with narcissistic & antisocial features.

The intense dependency conflicts central to BPD functioning certainly are
apparent in KC's struggle to be independent of her parents though slipping
in & out of their home to meet basic needs of self/others (e.g. stealing food,
gas, etc.), then back & forth reliance on housing with different males, subsuming their identities & interests (e.g. trying to "take-on" managerial functions at Fusian, according to boyfriend AL), and even
the critical need for someone to care for her own child, albeit an imaginary nanny.

Actually, quite a few have plural, legitimate, well documented, Axis II diagnoses.

Originally posted by Brini
Actually, quite a few have plural, legitimate, well documented, Axis II diagnoses.

Quite a few of----------? Yes, there may be more than one Axis II diagnosis
along with Axis I diagnoses, but how is it possible to have several different
"personalities" all disordered at the same time? (The Mulltiple Personality
Disorder category is not included in current psychiatric nomenclature.)

Verité;3245562 said:

It's not about different personalities. It's different ways a personality can be disordered. A lot of the disorders are very similar or have overlapping criteria. If a person has one accurately diagnosed personality disorder, it's likely they have three personality disorders.

random hypo*:
outward expression: I have the flu
constituent aspects: I have a fever, runny nose and body aches.

outward expression: casey anthony
constituent aspects: anti-social pd, borderline pd, narcissistic pd

(*maybe a strained analogy on my part, but I agree with Brini's statement--)
-- this is also why, IMO a lot of us see Casey so very differently when we are actually witnessing the same behaviors. We each foreground one of her apparent pathologies-- some see her as primarily borderline, some see her as primarily anti-social, etc.)

Sure it could. I realize a person can have "features" of an illness but I am also fully aware that it is often the case that many do indeed have more than one co-existing disorder.

With all respect, we can have different opinions.. but my mind is unchangable in this regard.

No argument from me about co-morbidity. . .or any other matter. Thanks
for your insights!

BTW, my mind is like a sieve, always open to filtering new information; what
I can't use, passes right through. :saythat:

Verité;3245562 said:

uh yeah, no. You have taken my posts completely out of context.

Verité;3245679 said:

No argument from me about co-morbidity. . .or any other matter. Thanks
for your insights!

BTW, my mind is like a sieve, always open to filtering new information; what
I can't use, passes right through. :saythat:

I don't know about you but I would think that knowing a "proper" diagnosis could and often does include a "handful" of personality disorders is information one would think they could "use". LOL- I totally get ya though, my brain has it's days too! :)

It's not about different personalities. It's different ways a personality can be disordered. A lot of the disorders are very similar or have overlapping criteria. If a person has one accurately diagnosed personality disorder, it's likely they have three personality disorders.

random hypo*:
outward expression: I have the flu
constituent aspects: I have a fever, runny nose and body aches.

outward expression: casey anthony
constituent aspects: anti-social pd, borderline pd, narcissistic pd

(*maybe a strained analogy on my part, but I agree with Brini's statement--)
-- this is also why, IMO a lot of us see Casey so very differently when we are actually witnessing the same behaviors. We each foreground one of her apparent pathologies-- some see her as primarily borderline, some see her as primarily anti-social, etc.)

Thanks ladies :blowkiss:

Originally posted by Nancy Botwin:
It's not about different personalities. It's different ways a personality can be disordered. A lot of the disorders are very similar or have overlapping criteria.

Don't know what "it" is, but if we're talking current psychiatric nomenclature
(DSMIVR), there may be several personality disorders with criteria which
overlap, but diagnostic specificity occurs through selecting out criteria
which don't overlap. The goal is greater reliability in clinical communication
and treatment planning. Different forms of psychotherapy, medication, etc.
may be indicated for a certain PD, though contraindicated for another.
I'm not trying to argue any of these issues which are supported by DSMIVR.

Also posted by Nancy Botwin:
If a person has one accurately diagnosed personality disorder, it's likely they have three personality disorders.

I've never heard of the above. That said, I think I'll say goodnight.

Originally posted by Static:

Thanks a heap for the above reference to an exhaustive study of KC on the BRACE, which is one instrument which may be used (along with other key
psychometric procedures) to help establish diagnoses.

The importance of the BRACE is how it highlights characteristics (versus
disorders or diagnoses), and emphasizes how statistical (mathematical)
procedures are necessary in weighing the various clusters of characteristics
to arrive at types before ever establishing a discrete diagnosis.

Verité;3246195 said:
Originally posted by Static:http://crimsonshadows.net/content/view/168/140/1/1/

Thanks a heap for the above reference to an exhaustive study of KC on the BRACE, which is one instrument which may be used (along with other key
psychometric procedures) to help establish diagnoses.

The importance of the BRACE is how it highlights characteristics (versus
disorders or diagnoses), and emphasizes how statistical (mathematical)
procedures are necessary in weighing the various clusters of characteristics
to arrive at types before ever establishing a discrete diagnosis.

No problem! Glad it was helpful

I wasn't sure where to post this so I chose here, I hope it's okay. Let me first say that I have no formal education in psychology other than the introductory classes that are taught at all colleges usually during a freshman year.

I found a book at the library that has been very helpful and has turned out to be quite interesting. It was on the reference shelf but there was also a copy in the stacks for check out too.

It is called "Why Mothers Kill: A Forensic Psychologist's Casebook" by Geoffrey R. McKee. Mr. McKee wrote this book for not only medical and mental health clinicians, but also for protective service professionals and the general public. I, being a part of the general public have found this book to be extremely easy to read and understand.

I think you can googlebook this book but there are sections that are blocked out. He supports his theories and information with other studies that have been done, especially about filicide.

I have read a good part of this book and one case study stands out, in fact, as I was reading it, I was almost taken aback at the how closely the case study dove tailed into the KC story. Of course, I am not qualified to make any kind of decision on which type of Mother that commits filicide KC is (from his categories that he has identified through research) but, in my simple mind, KC was very much like the category: Detached Mother, Resentful type. on page 87 of the hardback book.

If anyone is interested I highly recommend this book!

here is the author:

http://www.whymotherskill.com/

You can see 28 pages of this book at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=e-ZQuzbXEtMC&dq=why+mothers+kill&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA20,M1

Page 20 on the online access pointed out something I found very interesting in my reading of this hard cover book, and that is the statistics (supported by studies) of how many Mothers confess to their filicide. They range from 70% to only 38 %, which, in my mind, shows that KC is very mundane in her denial. Banal if you will (I paid good money at college to learn that 10.00 word :) heh)

So I apologize for the length of this post and if it is in the wrong place please feel free to delete or notify me to delete. I just wanted to share the wealth of information that can be found in this book that is accesiable to the common person such as me.

I wasn't sure where to post this so I chose here, I hope it's okay. Let me first say that I have no formal education in psychology other than the introductory classes that are taught at all colleges usually during a freshman year.

I found a book at the library that has been very helpful and has turned out to be quite interesting. It was on the reference shelf but there was also a copy in the stacks for check out too.

It is called "Why Mothers Kill: A Forensic Psychologist's Casebook" by Geoffrey R. McKee. Mr. McKee wrote this book for not only medical and mental health clinicians, but also for protective service professionals and the general public. I, being a part of the general public have found this book to be extremely easy to read and understand.

I think you can googlebook this book but there are sections that are blocked out. He supports his theories and information with other studies that have been done, especially about filicide.

I have read a good part of this book and one case study stands out, in fact, as I was reading it, I was almost taken aback at the how closely the case study dove tailed into the KC story. Of course, I am not qualified to make any kind of decision on which type of Mother that commits filicide KC is (from his categories that he has identified through research) but, in my simple mind, KC was very much like the category: Detached Mother, Resentful type. on page 87 of the hardback book.

here is the author:

http://books.google.com/books?id=e-ZQuzbXEtMC&dq=why+mothers+kill&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA20,M1

Page 20 on the online access pointed out something I found very interesting in my reading of this hard cover book, and that is the statistics (supported by studies) of how many Mothers confess to their filicide. They range from 70% to only 38 %, which, in my mind, shows that KC is very mundane in her denial. Banal if you will (I paid good money at college to learn that 10.00 word :) heh)

So I apologize for the length of this post and if it is in the wrong place please feel free to delete or notify me to delete. I just wanted to share the wealth of information that can be found in this book that is accesiable to the common person such as me.

Thanks for the link

Originally posted by Kat
here is the author:
http://books.google.com/books?id=e-Z...esult#PPA20,M1

Yours is not "simple", but an incisive, intellectually curious, objective, and
open mind. . .exactly what's required to make important finds in research
and sleuthing. Thank you so much for this fantastic, seemingly "right on" reference. You have my gratitude!

I have no formal education in psychology other than the introductory classes that are taught at all colleges usually during a freshman year.

You have more "education" than you realize. . .and you also have
my respect. :applause:

Thanks again!

here is the author:

*respectfully snipped to save space*

Thanks Kat! It sounds like an interesting read. I can't find it cheaper than $35 or so online. I will make a trip to the library this week! :blowkiss:

Just a comment about multiple diagnoses and Personality Disorders, bold added ...

The following are excerpts from page 686 of the DSM-IV-TR (American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 2000):

The items in the criteria sets for each of the specific Personality Disorders are listed in order of decreasing diagnostic importance as measured by relevant data on diagnostic efficiency (when available).
Personality Disorders are coded on Axis II. When (as is often the case) an individual’s pattern of behavior meets criteria for more than one Personality Disorder, the clinician should list all relevant Personality Disorder diagnoses in order of importance.

Russell

Originally posted by Knot4U2no:
. . .as measured by relevant data on diagnostic efficiency (when available).

The above language is the key, especially in forensic examinations where
there is often a vast amount of relevant data, to include psychometric results
& law enforcement reports, all of which must be boiled down to a concise
diagnosis. (Try explaining to attorneys, let alone a jury, the scientific basis
for your conclusion of a "handful" of personality disorders with opposing
expert witnesses who are there to challenge your every word.)

Thanks for your conscientious effort to weigh in on this topic.

Originally posted by TxMother67:
I can't find it cheaper than $35 or so online. I will make a trip to the library this week!

Thanks for the tip! I'm off to the library right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB