Casey Is NOT Safe From Double Jeopardy Laws?

Discussion in 'Caylee Anthony 2 years old' started by darnudes, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinker Belle

Thinker Belle Well-Known Member

http://mobile.nola.com/advnola/pm_103995/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=4uUMunFE

<snipped>The U.S. Constitution bars "double jeopardy," or prosecuting people twice. But in this case, the federal government is technically different from state government for the same charge, and the 5th Amendment does not protect a person from being tried by two separate governments, New Orleans attorney and former federal prosecutor Harry Rosenberg said.

That's generally done "in those cases where the facts cry out for another prosecution," he said.

"It's not an everyday phenomena," Rosenberg said. "It certainly allows the federal government or the district attorney's office some latitude if they think justice has not been served."

Not saying it ever will, but it CAN be done

2. mahmoo

mahmoo Active Member

Posts like these make me keep asking "who" is looking out for these crime victims? All I see (and read) is about how the "accused" is protected and their rights.....MOST of them have free legal counsel. Over and over and over again.....the victims (and families) don't seem to have many rights nor free legal council.....pftt....go figure? Makes no sense.....our laws.

3. Leah0107

Leah0107 New Member

My question exactly! I automatically think 'kidnapping' = fbi. What were they told, what actions did they take? What was their involvement in this case? I believe I read that lying to fbi is a 5-year penalty. At the very least they could potentially prosecute her for lying on a federal level, right?

4. RR0004

RR0004 New Member

I wonder what kind of building it was...did this poor family live above a store...on in the same building as a business of some kind?
    Like I've said before, the government does have the power...if there is a will there is a way.

PS- it took 3 years :(

5. RR0004

RR0004 New Member

I'm not sure as she was convicted of lying to LE. We need a US attorney to sign on as a member.

6. Thinker Belle

Thinker Belle Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm sorry ZsaZsa, I didn't notice you had posted the same link already. :doh: I'm happy to read that person will be tried again and we can only hope some sort of justice comes about for Caylee Marie!

7. RR0004

RR0004 New Member

IMHO...it was just a figure of speech.

8. MissJames

MissJames a yellowflutterby changed my life : )

I agree. Her intent was to mislead. She didn't tell the truth .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.