Casey Is NOT Safe From Double Jeopardy Laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://mobile.nola.com/advnola/pm_103995/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=4uUMunFE

<snipped>The U.S. Constitution bars "double jeopardy," or prosecuting people twice. But in this case, the federal government is technically different from state government for the same charge, and the 5th Amendment does not protect a person from being tried by two separate governments, New Orleans attorney and former federal prosecutor Harry Rosenberg said.

That's generally done "in those cases where the facts cry out for another prosecution," he said.

"It's not an everyday phenomena," Rosenberg said. "It certainly allows the federal government or the district attorney's office some latitude if they think justice has not been served."

Not saying it ever will, but it CAN be done

Even if there was a constitutional amendment, it would have to be retro-active to apply to Casey, and that would never happen.
Posts like these make me keep asking "who" is looking out for these crime victims? All I see (and read) is about how the "accused" is protected and their rights.....MOST of them have free legal counsel. Over and over and over again.....the victims (and families) don't seem to have many rights nor free legal council.....pftt....go figure? Makes no sense.....our laws.

I have a question...do we know everything that the FBI was investigating? Do we know that every interview or report has been released?

My question exactly! I automatically think 'kidnapping' = fbi. What were they told, what actions did they take? What was their involvement in this case? I believe I read that lying to fbi is a 5-year penalty. At the very least they could potentially prosecute her for lying on a federal level, right?

It seems that felons and their creepy defense can weasel their way out of everything. Hopefully this guy will get his comeuppance.
Wonder if there's some way the Feds can get ICA?
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/07/man_acquitted_of_killing_four.html
I wonder what kind of building it was...did this poor family live above a store...on in the same building as a business of some kind?
Like I've said before, the government does have the power...if there is a will there is a way.

PS- it took 3 years :(

My question exactly! I automatically think 'kidnapping' = fbi. What were they told, what actions did they take? What was their involvement in this case? I believe I read that lying to fbi is a 5-year penalty. At the very least they could potentially prosecute her for lying on a federal level, right?
I'm not sure as she was convicted of lying to LE. We need a US attorney to sign on as a member.

Wow, I'm sorry ZsaZsa, I didn't notice you had posted the same link already. :doh: I'm happy to read that person will be tried again and we can only hope some sort of justice comes about for Caylee Marie!

Umm, by OP I meant Original Poster:

"Originally Posted by TxLady2
That statement cannot be proven to be a lie. She very well may have felt in her gut that Caylee was still alive and still known in her heart and mind that she was not. Saying you feel something is not stating you know something.

I really don't think the FBI would be interested in retrying this case. Sorry, but if that's all there is, it's just not enough, IMHO."

who you might owe an apology to. and please don't use the word "we", I am a member here as well, and you do not speak for me.
IMHO...it was just a figure of speech.

I disagree just because she stated as a feeling doesnt make it not a lie. According to her DT she knew from day one Caylee was dead.. How can you imply its a feeling when in fact you know your child was already dead. A lie is a lie. Will the FBI retry her for lying to the FBI probably not. Which IMO sends a bad message to others who might do the same thing in the future.

I agree. Her intent was to mislead. She didn't tell the truth .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa