Casey offered more than $1mil to tell story

Does Florida have a "Son of Sam Law"??

Son of Sam law
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The phrase Son of Sam Law refers to a type of law designed to keep criminals from profiting from their crimes, often by selling their stories to publishers. Such laws often authorize the state to seize money earned from such a deal and use it to compensate the criminal's victims.

I found this http://news.ufl.edu/2007/12/06/son-of-sam/ Albeit, not an actual "law" it does provide some insight into something called "General asset forfeiture laws" This appears to be something they could do to keep KC from profiting. BUT, I still wonder if since Caylee is probably no longer with us, would the money then be dispursed to GA, CA and LA? Caylee definately needs a GAL to represent her now!!

Thanks for the link, Ilmom. Sure wish I could go download a *law brain* on the net. I would very much like to understand all this better, as it seems a threat to children and sends a terrible message, imo!

This deal is just as imaginary as zanny the nanny. It is simply Baez's latest lame attempt to push LE's buttons. The thing he wants most is them to charge kc before they are ready, he has admitted this on tv. He is merely trying to irritate LE, because they know she can't make any money off of her crime after she is convicted. He thinks LE has it out for kc (even though she brought this on herself) and they will be so annoyed bu this "book offer" that they will charge her quickly, w/o any remains being found, and best of all...before they are ready to. When have you ever heard of a book deal being offered when the whole story hasn't played out. It's a scam, don't get upset over it, it won't happen. Supposedly it has some "terms" to it that kc has to tell where Caylee is, well she never will, not for 1.5 mil, not for 50 mil. The minute she does, she is as good as gone for life and can't collect the $ anyway. IMO

It's funny you posted this. When I woke up this morning, for some reason it just came to me, I was wondering also if he put this out there in the public to maybe try to push LE into making an arrest before they are ready, just so she wouldn't profit from the deal.

This whole thing is just discusting!!! No matter how much money they offer to Casey.....she won't tell where Caylee is. But maybe, just maybe one of the A's will turn on her for the cash and spill the beans???

This whole thing is just discusting!!! No matter how much money they offer to Casey.....she won't tell where Caylee is. But maybe, just maybe one of the A's will turn on her for the cash and spill the beans???

I honestly think spilling the beans on her would be spilling the beans on themselves but that's just my opinion

How much can a defense for child neglect cost? Makes you go hmmmmmmmmm. Makes me think that JB is calculating the cost of a upcoming defense pending more serious charges.

I pray, not one person gives any of the A's money.:mad:

Does Florida have a "Son of Sam Law"??

Son of Sam law
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The phrase Son of Sam Law refers to a type of law designed to keep criminals from profiting from their crimes, often by selling their stories to publishers. Such laws often authorize the state to seize money earned from such a deal and use it to compensate the criminal's victims.

Yes, but this law is to keep those Convicted from profiting from their crimes. Casey is not convicted yet, so she can keep the money and use it for her defense.

Casey has already told her story. She has told the entire world that she is a liar of gargantuan proportions. She has told us that she cared so little for her child that she was out partying at a "Hot Body Contest" during the time when Caylee was already missing. She has clearly shown that she has no honor or respect when it comes to her family and friends. She has told us all EXACTLY what she is and what she is NOT and her "story" beyond that is not worth one cent to those of us who wish and hope for CAYLEE...Her story? Who cares? I am so glad that SHE cannot profit from this legally, but I am sure that will not stop her parents from somehow acting as her "liason" to get her story SOLD...What a world...what a wonderful world we live in...

Yes, but this law is to keep those Convicted from profiting from their crimes. Casey is not convicted yet, so she can keep the money and use it for her defense.
Yes, but if she receives money as a result of criminal acts that she is later convicted for, does the state have the right to seize those funds after conviction? Using it to pay for a legal defense may make no difference than if the money was used to get a full body tattoo.

Any attorneys in the house?

so, that only applies to the one convicted, right? What if the payoff goes to.... say Lee?

so, that only applies to the one convicted, right? What if the payoff goes to.... say Lee?
I think LE will make damn sure that there is at least one charge made against every member of that family, even if it's a misdemeanor, to prevent any of them from putting blood money in their pockets.

I started searching for anything Florida Son of Sam law related...one article I found was this...

http://list.msu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0602a&L=aejmc&P=22286

go about half way down or just do a page search for Rolling vs. Florida

It seems a lot of the Son of Sam laws are loophole ridden and can easily come back as unconstitutional but Florida is seizing money via a 1994 Civil Restitution Lien and Crime Victims' Remedy Act...

Off to dig a bit deeper. None of them should profit one cent from this...no bills paid, no Iron Man toys bought, no pizza feasted...nothing :furious::furious::furious:

I sure hope the IRS jumps on them for all the gifts...above and beyond a certain amount it has to be claimed, right? I know above a certain amount from an individual, but what about a certain gross amount from many individuals? I can't imagine Uncle Sam letting the taxes on the cash they are raking in slip through the cracks.

Bumping for link to paper re. Son of Sam laws and how Florida sometimes approaches them...

Disgusting!!
This whole thing is making me feel downright homicidal!!! :furious::furious::furious:
I'm glad I don't live in Florida...I'd have to take all 4'10 of me and go
give these people a tune-up!!! :steamed:

No. It's never going to be 'open season' on little kids anywhere, let alone everywhere. Maybe in the Sudan or Darfur where people are killed/tortured just for being from the wrong 'clan' or race. But here in North America and the rest of the free world? No one will ever stand for or be okay with children being murdered. Ever. And the laws declaring murder to be okay now? Will also never happen. Casey WILL be charged and convicted of something. It may not meet the standard of Murder in the 1st degree (or maybe it will I don't know). But no, she will NOT be walking around as a free woman for many, many years, if ever.

I totally agree. Remember the outrage about that Texas mother who drowned her kids and got off on insanity? Granted she had to go to the mental hosp. if I remember correctly. I just remember the anger and outrage the public had about her not getting normal jail time.

Open season on children here in the USA will never happen, just like you said.

This might be "old" news but I just read on Fox News online that the spokesman for the family said they are "not entertaining any of the offers". Hmmmm...we'll see.

LE needs to get the ducks in a row NOW and file all the charges before anyone in the A family can make another dime off of this. My biggest fear is that they make a million, hire a legal dream team and end up with another OJ walking around Free in Florida.
They are allready hiring the best to defend her, imagine what millions of dollars would buy the defense...

I totally agree. Remember the outrage about that Texas mother who drowned her kids and got off on insanity? Granted she had to go to the mental hosp. if I remember correctly. I just remember the anger and outrage the public had about her not getting normal jail time.

Open season on children here in the USA will never happen, just like you said.

Yeah, but that b*tch was crazy. lol

That's America for you. Don'tcha love it? By the time this case plays out we'll have another Amy Fischer on our hands...:mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back