Catalog of Defense Blunders: Let us count the ways

Bittiness39

Reaction score
Here is my first one: (oh how I love to "thwart" Baez and I am not KB): I dedicate this thread to Caylee and to my BFF Cecy...who helped me with the title...

Jose Baez, Esquire
522 Simpson Road
Kissimmee, FL 34744

Dear Mr. Baez:

In your correspondence to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office you have stated your willingness to fully cooperate with law enforcement regarding the investigation of Caylee Anthony’s disappearance within the confines of your ethical obligation to your client, Casey Anthony.

In response to your offer to fully cooperate, I am requesting that you provide the circumstances and location Caylee Anthony was last seen. As you are aware, the previous statements provided by your client have been false and misleading.

The law enforcement personnel involved in the search for Caylee Anthony acknowledge your ethical obligation to you client. We hope that it is your client’s genuine desire to help find her daughter and to uncover the truth. We are also hopeful that you are able to provide the circumstances and location that Casey Anthony last saw her daughter, and that you understand the information we are requesting is crucial to the search for Caylee Anthony. If you are willing to assist in this matter, please contact me at your earliest opportunity.

Sincerely,

Kevin Beary
Sheriff of Orange County

Sergeant John Allen
Criminal Investigations Division
Missing Persons Squad
(407) 254-7222
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
Here’s the response FROM Jose TO OC Sheriff’s Office:
September 22, 2008
via facsimile

Orange County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Sgt. John Allen
2500 West Colonial Drive
Orlando, FL 32408

Re: State of Florida v. Casey M. Anthony

Dear Sgt. Allen:

I was pleased to see that your office has decided to take me up on our offer to cooperate in the search for Caylee Marie Anthony. Albeit two months later, it is better late than never, I suppose.

I was, however, displeased by the fact that I had to hear about your fax from the media before I even got the chance to read it. Nonetheless, I will convey your message to my client and discuss it with her further.

Please give me a call when you are more interested in searching for Caylee, as opposed to trying to improve your office’s public relations image. I realize that your office is under a lot of pressure because you haven’t found Caylee, butyou should conduct your efforts in a more productive manner as opposed to leaking your communications with me to the media.Sincerely,

Jose A. Baez, Esq.
:banghead::loser::maddening::floorlaugh:

Well the embarrassment of that absurd letter aside, I'd say two big blunders he made early on were not insisting on a speedy trial for his client (say well before Caylee's duct taped little remains were found), not fighting a gag order (which made his later complaints about the media seem disingenuously insane) and the fact he picked a two-bit criminal for a PR manager before he even had the good sense to assemble an opportunistic "dream team" (which clearly established where his actual interest in the case lay). That's three more I guess.

Yet another blunder that immediately comes to mind is Baez not convincing Casey to take the plea deal that was offered early on (also before the remains of Caylee were found). IIRC, it was only 8 years she would have had to serve under that offer - she probably would have been pretty close to getting out soon on good behavior. But, nooooooo - she & Baez thought they were so much smarter than LE et al. :banghead:

Here is my first one: (oh how I love to "thwart" Baez and I am not KB): I dedicate this thread to Caylee and to my BFF Cecy...who helped me with the title...

Jose Baez, Esquire
522 Simpson Road
Kissimmee, FL 34744

Dear Mr. Baez:

In your correspondence to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office you have stated your willingness to fully cooperate with law enforcement regarding the investigation of Caylee Anthony’s disappearance within the confines of your ethical obligation to your client, Casey Anthony.

In response to your offer to fully cooperate, I am requesting that you provide the circumstances and location Caylee Anthony was last seen. As you are aware, the previous statements provided by your client have been false and misleading.

The law enforcement personnel involved in the search for Caylee Anthony acknowledge your ethical obligation to you client. We hope that it is your client’s genuine desire to help find her daughter and to uncover the truth. We are also hopeful that you are able to provide the circumstances and location that Casey Anthony last saw her daughter, and that you understand the information we are requesting is crucial to the search for Caylee Anthony. If you are willing to assist in this matter, please contact me at your earliest opportunity.

Sincerely,

Kevin Beary
Sheriff of Orange County

Sergeant John Allen
Missing Persons Squad
(407) 254-7222
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
September 22, 2008
via facsimile

2500 West Colonial Drive
Orlando, FL 32408

Dear Sgt. Allen:

I was pleased to see that your office has decided to take me up on our offer to cooperate in the search for Caylee Marie Anthony. Albeit two months later, it is better late than never, I suppose.

I was, however, displeased by the fact that I had to hear about your fax from the media before I even got the chance to read it. Nonetheless, I will convey your message to my client and discuss it with her further.

Please give me a call when you are more interested in searching for Caylee, as opposed to trying to improve your office’s public relations image. I realize that your office is under a lot of pressure because you haven’t found Caylee, butyou should conduct your efforts in a more productive manner as opposed to leaking your communications with me to the media.Sincerely,

Jose A. Baez, Esq.

Wow, I havent seen that letter before... Interesting. So Baez has been a snark from the get go.. how rude

Lawyers shouldn't hire PR managers because they shouldn't need them and they call too much attention to the case. Don't PO the judge. Don't go to court unprepared. Don't forget deadlines. Don't go to court thinking you can get continuances indefinately. Budget your money according to your case needs. Don't overestimate your case or your client. Don't forget to call your experts.

There is nothing I can say that doesn't rise to the level of hypocrisy and well lack of manners that the defense has presented in defense of their "esteemed" client. This is just a small taste of what the defense has been throwing at the state from day one. Period. It makes me ill. They have nothing. Nothing good for their client and the defense is acting like they have an angel on their hands. GMAB!!!!

Well the embarrassment of that absurd letter aside, I'd say two big blunders he made early on were not insisting on a speedy trial for his client (say well before Caylee's duct taped little remains were found), not fighting a gag order (which made his later complaints about the media seem disingenuously insane) and the fact he picked a two-bit criminal for a PR manager before he even had the good sense to assemble an opportunistic "dream team" (which clearly established where his actual interest in the case lay). That's three more I guess.

Fighting against a gag order, imo, is one of the biggest blunders JB made in this case. Not because it makes him seem disingenuous when he complains about the media, but because WHAT DEFENSE ATTORNEY in their RIGHT MIND would fight a gag order in a case like this? Jose Baez!

Getting Judge Strickland recused.

ITA! Save for the fact that HHJP is going to be a harder Judge than they anticipated...? Incidentally, another blunder by the defense? Getting rid of a softer Judge...because even though HHJP is fair..he is not soft...Score on you...another blunder by the defense and those who seem to believe beyond logic that well HELLO KC is guilty...but well that is too bad for the fair "hearted"

Please keep this simple distinction in mind and this thread should remain open:

Discussing defense mistakes = OK

Bashing members of the defense team = not OK​

TIA.

ITA! The defense has done more to discredit their individual selves than I could ever. And nope, by being nice to them, I doubt they will post here. And even if they did, they would be destroyed by virtue of the fact that they have been dishonest from the get go. And I highly doubt a website that values truth as much as this one would worry overmuch about the insane ramblings of a dishonest defense team run amok...

Fighting against the gag order, bringing Todd Macaluso (a confirmed thief) on board, all of his activities trying to make this the next OJ trial.

ITA fighting against the gag order...floating a SODDI defense when that would clearly mean Caylee was murdered...blaming the prosecution for the SunShine law when they fought against both the gag order and a speedy trial...

I think every motion is a blunder. They're not well written, a fifth grader could do better, and they are just an insult to everyone's intelligence, especially HHJP and the SA. Baez acts like a big man on campus yet can't get a motion right to save his life. And grammar errors...I could make big bucks proofreading his dang motions as I have a Master's in English and an eye for grammar. Not only are his motions bad because of the language as he seems to focus on grandstanding and insults more than putting together an intelligently written motion, but he's embarrassing himself with bad grammar as well. He so needs to go back to Law School and learn how to write a proper motion - after Casey's case, of course.

Oh yes and changing tactics/lying about believing the Zanny story - switching from Zanny, to Caylee is alive/kidnapped, to the Grunds, to LE trying to frame her, to the media being at fault, to Mr. Kronk, to a TES conspiracy of some sort, to TES members...and I suspect one of the Anthony family or Dominic Casey will be in the line up for soddi defense.

Citing case law that actually works against them...brilliant.
Putting a poor sweet little girl up for bids.
Being caught in lies (ie, phone call from jail).
Talking too much and saying little.
Color-coding
Oh my...I could be on here till the sun rises.

I think every motion is a blunder. They're not well written, a fifth grader could do better, and they are just an insult to everyone's intelligence, especially HHJP and the SA. Baez acts like a big man on campus yet can't get a motion right to save his life. And grammar errors...I could make big bucks proofreading his dang motions as I have a Master's in English and an eye for grammar. Not only are his motions bad because of the language as he seems to focus on grandstanding and insults more than putting together an intelligently written motion, but he's embarrassing himself with bad grammar as well. He so needs to go back to Law School and learn how to write a proper motion - after Casey's case, of course.

ITA with your entire post, but the BBM part made me chuckle. I have a thing about spelling, grammar & punctuation (not a master's degree, lol) and my past two bosses always asked me to proofread letters for them. Both of them also gave me free rein to make any changes if I thought they were necessary/needed. My current boss has a son who's the same way - describes himself as "anal" about it - and he recently told me I "beat him" when it comes to this...He has put together a new catalog of our company's products and I proofread it for him. When he came back in one day (he's also an RN so this job is part time), he yelled out from his office, "Geez, I made this many mistakes?!?"

Anyway, it's an embarrassment for the defense team for both content AND the spelling/grammitcal errors they present in their motions (not to mention omissions of case law, etc.) The only ones I've seen well written were from AL & AF.

Going to rescue my poor t.p. from my trunk so it won't suffocate (GMA :D ), and then it's off to bed for me. I've got to be up at 8am to catch 3 cats that get to have their checkups tomorrow... :eek:fftobed:

Yet another blunder that immediately comes to mind is Baez not convincing Casey to take the plea deal that was offered early on (also before the remains of Caylee were found). IIRC, it was only 8 years she would have had to serve under that offer - she probably would have been pretty close to getting out soon on good behavior. But, nooooooo - she & Baez thought they were so much smarter than LE et al. :banghead:

BBM - Of course that was under the assumption this was all an accident and ICA was just being, well - ICA. Once LE found Caylee's remains with duct tape wrapped around her precious face, ICA was still going to fry.

Which tells us JAB Esq has known since Day 31 (or maybe Day 32) that his client is a liar and a murderer, yet he has spent 2.5 years of HIS LIFE defending her! I would say as Karma goes, he's blundered BIG TIME and he's about to get his just rewards!

BBM - Of course that was under the assumption this was all an accident and ICA was just being, well - ICA. Once LE found Caylee's remains with duct tape wrapped around her precious face, ICA was still going to fry.

Which tells us JAB Esq has known since Day 31 (or maybe Day 32) that his client is a liar and a murderer, yet he has spent 2.5 years of HIS LIFE defending her! I would say as Karma goes, he's blundered BIG TIME and he's about to get his just rewards!

True, that. I guess my mind wasn't thinking past her serving time for what they were going to charge her with...I didn't think about her facing more charges once the remains were found w/the duct tape.

Gotta to catch 3 cats & get them in their carriers and only have 15 minutes to snare all 3. Once I get the first one, they pass on the message and the next two are hard to get, lol.

Jose Baez, Esquire
522 Simpson Road
Kissimmee, FL 34744

Dear Mr. Baez:

Sincerely,

Kevin Beary
Sheriff of Orange County

Sergeant John Allen
Missing Persons Squad
(407) 254-7222
September 22, 2008
via facsimile

2500 West Colonial Drive
Orlando, FL 32408

Dear Sgt. Allen:

Jose A. Baez, Esq.

I swear, I thought this post was satire poking fun at Baez and his defense. To learn this was an actual letter he sent is just :floorlaugh: and :sick: and :banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back