Cell Phones and LISK

Discussion in 'Long Island Serial Killer' started by Aleph, Mar 9, 2012.

1. PickleChris

PickleChris Active Member

Can you link the story?

2. Chucky730

Chucky730 New Member

3. SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan Active Member

Raymond Roth Sentenced For Faking Death, Impersonating Police

MINEOLA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A Long Island man has been sentenced for faking his own drowning at Jones Beach in a life insurance scheme and for pretending to be a cop in an attempt to lure a woman in Nassau County.

Raymond Roth was sentenced to 2 and 1/3 years to 7 years in prison Thursday and ordered to pay more than $36,000 in restitution to the Coast Guard and Nassau County police.

“With today’s sentence, Mr. Roth will finally be held accountable for his utter disregard for the law and public safety,” Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said in a statement.

Roth told the judge that he was sorry for what he did and said his actions were due to a mixture of bi-polar medication and alcohol, 1010 WINS’ Mona Rivera reported.

“I wasn’t doing good mentally,” Roth said at his sentencing. “I had no intention of coming back to New York.”

On July 28, 2012, prosecutors said Roth was reported missing by his then 22-year-old son Jonathan Roth in a frantic 911 call, saying his father had disappeared in the waters off Jones Beach.

That 911 call triggered an intense air and water search that cost tens of thousands of dollars. While no one actually saw Raymond Roth swim away, the Massapequa man was initially presumed drowned.

Prosecutors said the father-son duo hatched the scheme to fake the elder Roth’s death in hopes of cashing in at least $410,000 in life insurance policies.

Prosecutors said the pair’s plan was for Jonathan Roth to try to file a claim on July 31.

The plot was discovered when prosecutors said Roth’s wife, Evana, stumbled on emails between father and son discussing details of the plan.

Authorities believe Raymond Roth first fled to Florida. He was later pulled over for speeding in South Carolina, before returning to New York to surrender.

Then in March of last year, hours after pleading guilty to conspiracy charges in the life insurance plot, Roth was arrested again for pretending to be a police officer and trying to lure a woman into his van in Freeport.

Prosecutors said he approached a woman and demanded she get into his vehicle or be arrested. When she refused, he followed her to a check cashing business and demanded employees open the locked security door, authorities said.

He was convicted in that case last month on criminal impersonation and attempted unlawful imprisonment charges, but was acquitted in a non-jury trial of attempted kidnapping.

Jonathan Roth pleaded guilty last year to falsely reporting an incident and was originally expected to receive no jail time, but lost the deal after jumping bail. He was sentenced to a year in prison last month.

The judge blasted Raymond Roth at his sentencing Thursday for enlisting the help of his son in the insurance scheme.

“Never in my life did I think I would be here,” Roth said. “I have a lot of fences to mend; my son is disgusted with me.”

But Roth’s attorney Brian Davis said father and son have been meeting at church groups in prison.

“They’re talking like father and son,” he said. “They’ve patched things up.”

Raymond Roth Sentenced For Faking Death, Impersonating Police

4. Chucky730

Chucky730 New Member

So many paralles Hes from Massapequa. He has a previous employment address that is like 2 blocks from where I saw that phone call. he suffers from Bi-polar & has trouble with alcohol, didnt the sister say he called drunk? Now he was caught tryingto take a woman off the streets preteding to be A cop!?!?!? And why did this guy feel the need to fake his death in the first place???

swedeheart likes this.
  5. SecretAgentMan

Yeah, this guy has several levels to his story that is suspect, but so are a lot of others in NY.

NY seems to breed these men for whatever reason.....the part of him trying to lure the woman into his van by immitating a cop is intriguing.

He goes from trying to fake his own death to trying to lure a woman inside his van......like what were his intentions with that woman?

And for him to chase her down & knock on a security door trying to get to her is crazy......spells he's out of control.

Have you seen his picture in the link? Does he resemble the guy you said you saw years ago?

6. Chucky730

Chucky730 New Member

It was so many years ago I dont think I can ever say with out a shout of a doubt that is him. I can say he fits the general things I do remember, He is caucasian, About the right build & age.

7. SecretAgentMan

What's also interesting is he was a telecommunications manager, which if I'm not mistaken, he would know how to set up.a VPN on his computer.

This could all be a coincidence......the LISK case wreaks of coincidences for quite a few potential point of interests/suspects.

Who's to say the detectives haven't spoken to LISK not knowing who he really is......or maybe he's not in anyone's radar

8. cpaul

cpaul Active Member

If LISK is smart like everyone seems to think...this guy isn't him.

9. SecretAgentMan

I concur, but sometimes these killers tend to go on a downward spiral before getting caught.

There have been other serial killers that haven't been caught, & yes, imo, serial killers can stop killing after they've gotten tired of it, or gotten older, etc........perfect example is the Golden St Killer, that guy was meticulous & OCD on every victim, & he thought of everything except for DNA in his semen that would one day define who he was & get him caught.

LISK on the other hand doesn't leave any DNA that we the public know about.

This case could have been solved early on, but the feds weren't allowed in.......it may be too.late now unless the killer confesses (unlikely), if the feds do have his DNA, then a genealogy test will catch him, or he strikes again.

10. eagleyeseymour

eagleyeseymour Active Member

New to Websleuths as a contributor, I've read this forum for years and decided to make an account and join the discussion.

I've read a fair amount into this case, so please forgive me if this question was asked. I am curious as to what was done with the GB4's Cell Phones/Call Logs?

I understand LISK uses a burner phone, each of the victims absolutely communicated with him, Melissa & Maureens loved ones received calls from him (I'm still perplexed as to why their loved ones phone numbers were stored in the same phone they use for work)

Amber & Megan both left their phones at home & the hotel respectively. With this knowledge, it should be known to Law Enforcement what phone number each girl used to communicate with LISK. Couldn't they subpoena the cell carriers records and identify the number LISK used to contact them? Did he use a single burner phone for each victim or was it the same phone each time?

This could be valuable information - I am not privy to how long data is kept on burner phones but if they were able to ID his number and somehow get records of who else he contacted , they could compare those numbers to any archived ads from backpage or numbers associated with known working girls (possibly any who were arrested). If they were able to ID a girl he was in contact with and interview them, we would be able to get more details ...

Of course, the other thing they could with his number, which has been mentioned plenty is to determine where the phone was purchased. It just seems like in todays digital age, they should go as deep as possible to try and determine the place of purchase at the very least. Unfortunately, I'm aware that this should have been done in 2011 and that nearly a decade later, it maybe very difficult to connect the aforementioned dots.

Aslan, waltzingmatilda and srp1206 like this.