Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

I don't know, I'm guessing it will. And I may not agree 100% with the verdict in this case or all the evidence, but one thing that I can say is that the families should NOT have to be put through all of this. These hearings should have been held BEFORE the sentencing hearing, and that is on the judge IMO They knew when the verdicts were reached that there would be motions filed. Get them filed, deal with them, and sentence Merritt. Let it play out in appeals later.

This is horrible for the family.
But didnt the judge just say that Maline just filed these motions 15 minutes before this hearing?

But didnt the judge just say that Maline just filed these motions 15 minutes before this hearing?

Not all of them I don't think? I don't know what was filed just this morning. But Maline did point out that the State waived the time on filing, so he had every right to file this morning. The judge didn't disagree and didn't disallow the filings.

What the heck! I stepped away for work and come back to this! So.....are they done for now? Are we in a holding pattern? What is happening next???

Yes, and what was the conflict of interest with McGee?

I think the conflict came up when they wanted to argue that McGee should have called their own cell expert and McGee made the decision not too, essentially saying 'ineffectiveness of counsel', which is a conflict of interest for a lawyer to argue against himself. IMO

What the heck! I stepped away for work and come back to this! So.....are they done for now? Are we in a holding pattern? What is happening next???
The judge held an emergency Marsden hearing---where he meets with Merritt and Maline and hears the reasons for the firing of the attorney. I am not sure what powers the judge has over that decision. Can he deny it and go ahead with the sentencing?

CM has had a record of firing attorneys throughout this case.......what's that all about?

Well to be fair, they probably should have been fired. I wasn't really following the case through those years other than to check in once in awhile. But I know that at least one has lost his license and may have even been charged with something... the other one's, I'm not sure, but just read the preliminary hearing transcript, I would have fired them too. But that's JMO.

The judge held an emergency Marsden hearing---where he meets with Merritt and Maline and hears the reasons for the firing of the attorney. I am not sure what powers the judge has over that decision. Can he deny it and go ahead with the sentencing?

uggh I'm not even sure we could find a case to compare it too! LOL But I think the judge will have to be very careful to not allow for an automatic overturning of the verdict with a wrong decision here.

Brian Rokos (@Brian_Rokos) | Twitter

Maline just said Merritt told him Merritt does not want him to continue as his lawyer.

Merritt just pulled off his glasses, let out a big breath, shook his head and rubbed his forehead. Then he pitched up a stack of court documents and headed for a hearing in judges’ chambers. Merritt is not in restraints.

That should be “...picked up a stack...”

There were gasps in the courtroom when Maline said Merritt wants to fire him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back