Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

It's disappointing that they didn't finish today, but happy that Patrick didn't get "forgotten" or left out again and he was able to read his statement. He was the one constant in the last 10 years that kept looking, kept fighting, kept looking for answers. His life really had stopped the last 10 years. I hope he feels just a little bit better tonight and finds some peace.

It's disappointing that they didn't finish today, but happy that Patrick didn't get "forgotten" or left out again and he was able to read his statement. He was the one constant in the last 10 years that kept looking, kept fighting, kept looking for answers. His life really had stopped the last 10 years. I hope he feels just a little bit better tonight and finds some peace.
I am so sad for him. I am relieved a bit that he does have other grandchildren to keep him busy own holidays etc. I know it can never replace the family that was slaughtered. Nothing can ever help with that. But at least he has some family because he needs love and support. :(

Law & Crime Network‏Verified account @LawCrimeNetwork 9m9 minutes ago
#McStay - Patrick McStay to Charles Merritt on murdering the family: "Your own narcissism and psychotic actions thinking of no one but yourself..." "Your own children are just more innocent victims..."

EOhrAM7UUAA19Yn.jpg

Doesn't really matter to me as long as he stays locked up and away from the rest of society, IMO.
And FINALLY now, he can give up any illusions he had of walking away from this because of these silly defense motions. The judge shocked him straight today. His face was as white as a ghost. It warmed my heart to see.

I don't know if Joey's mother and brother will give an impact statement.
Or, Summer's large extended family.
I honestly don't know. How they will respond.
They know who killed Joey, Summer, Gioviani and Joseph Jr.
I just know this.
All of the McStay family have come together to reject the evil, of Chase Merritt and live their lives in love, adopting more needy orphans like Joey and Mikey.
That is just Good triumphs over Evil.
I celebrate that. God bless each, and everyone of these victims and their families.
With that said. I am not, as kind as the McStay family.
I personally hope that Chase Merritt is on his way to hell on earth.
I hope that every inmate knows how he bashed in the brains of two beautiful little boys. Probably in front of their Mother.

Patrick McStay gave an excellent victim impact statement in regard to the dreadful murders of his family, and glad he got to make it today, :(

Going to post this now, so I can shorten it up a bit for Tuesday... updates in red

Friday, January 17th:
*Sentencing & Post Judgement Motions Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey, Jr. (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith aka Chase Jarvis (57/now 62) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on all Fridays. Jurors started with 8 women & 4 men; now have 9 women & 3 men (alternates started with 4 men & 2 women-alternates left 1 men & 1 woman). Took about 22 hours of deliberations for guilty verdict on all 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstance. Verdict: LWOP for Joey, Death for Summer, Gianni & Joey, Jr.
Trial Days (1-63: 1/7/19 thru 6/7/19) & Verdict (6/10/19) & Penalty Phase (Day 1-5: 6/11/19 thru 6/21/19) and court info thru 9/27/19 reference post #212 here:
GUILTY - Chase Merritt charged w/murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

11/1/19 Update: McGee was allowed to withdraw and it is solely on Maline now. Also the sentencing date has been changed to Jan. 17, 2020 from the Dec. 13, 2019 date. 12/20/19: Motions hearing held. 12/30/19: Defense’ motion for continuance-denied. There are also several motions that will be heard first & one of them is the defense Motion for a Sentencing Reduction.
1/14/20: Order on Media request to permit coverage filed by Law & Crime network & Motion picture video-Gina Watson.

1/17/20 Update: Judge Michael Smith said there will be hearings on post-verdict motions & then possibly sentencing. Motions were filed by defense today at 9:15 a.m. Maline filed a motion seeking a new trial based on insufficient evidence, the cell phone evidence & prosecutorial misconduct. Judge is asking attorney McGee to leave he courtroom saying he could be called as a witness today. Merritt's former attorney James McGee was subpoenaed to here today. Judge talking about motions filed: one alleges insufficiency of evidence. Second relates to newly discovered evidence or evidence that one now claims should have been put on but was not by Mr. McGee. Maline explaining that he & McGee divided labors with McGee paying attention to technical issues, cell towers, DNA, etc. Maline handled financial stuff. Maline wants to put his cell phone expert on the stand. Smith initially said no. Smith said he will review the expert’s report and a slideshow. At recess. Court is back in session. Merritt’s Attorney still making arguments for new trial based on cellphone data that was never introduced. We still have to hear rebuttal from the prosecutor. Sentencing not likely to happen until after lunch break. Merritt fires Maline. The judge held an emergency Marsden hearing---where he meets with Merritt & Maline & hears the reasons for the firing of the attorney. Judge denies Merritt’s request to fire his attorney, Rajan Maline. Maline starts arguing timeline on Feb. 4th. The judge needs to tell Maline to give it a rest now, this is sentencing. Prosecutor: "His sister even testified that he had not been in the high desert for 5 years". Now McGee up as witness. Questioned by Maline & then DA Imes. Judge on Ineffectiveness of Counsel---the claim being made by defense that McGee failed to meet the standard of effectiveness is on them to prove. They have failed to do so. The judge also said the remaining arguments by defense, that McGee failed to understand or argue about the calls & the issues with the Azimuth, were FALSE. Judge is airing Merritt's dirty laundry. Detail by detail, every lie, every stolen check, every deleted transaction, every call unanswered, every call never made to the McStays, every attempt to discontinue Intuit, every unfinished fountain, every attempt to cover up thefts, every business complaint, every body buried. Judge Smith denies motion for retrial. Patrick McStay gives his victim impact statement. Court is adjourned until Tuesday, 1/21 morning 8:30am PT. At that time more family members will give victim impact statements.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saky
Back