Chicago Police Kill 2 During Domestic Disturbance Call

http://abc7chicago.com/news/2-officer-involved-shootings-draws-new-scrutiny-to-cpd/1136416/

From the link:

It is not clear whether Jones had even finished opening up the door for them when officers fired at Legrier who was charging down the stairs still carrying the bat.

Chicago Congressman Bobby Rush also released a statement in response Saturday's shootings.

"Why weren't tasers used in this incident?" the statement read. "Why were shots fired before other de-escalating tactics were employed? Why does shooting someone to death seem to be the default tactics of the city's police force? These questions and many others require immediate answers."

I'm not so sure I believe he was charging down the stairs and if he were why is it unheard of LE to retreat or step back a bit.
Sounds to me as though they shot anything that moved. IMO

Sure, it might behoove all of us now to expect cops always show up ready to shoot, but for gods sake, SHOULD they?? Not every damn situation calls for guns blazing.

For those of you with no empathy at all when this Ish happens to black men or women, black teens, black families - eventually it's (and already is) gonna happen to you/your friend/your family. What then?

That is why some of us have "no police in a crisis" house rules. Call them AFTER the crisis has been resolved if need be but not during.

I live with several dogs and have made it very clear to family members that they had better not EVER call the police to my house for any reason. I recently broke off all contact with a family member that threatened to have a "wellness check" done if I didn't respond to emails; they threatened to violate that rule and I won't risk it.

If you call them to stop a violent potentially deadly threat there is a good chance they will kill that threat when they arrive (along with any pet dogs in the home).

The man that called 911 was so afraid he locked himself in a room, he knew this might happen and he chose to make that call.

That makes it sound like she did have to open the door, so why was she standing behind him?

Didn't one article say the lady saw him through the window with a bat heading towards the police?

The son could have been outside in front of the entrance at that point, the lady could have opened the door when the police arrived which put her right behind him when shots were fired.

If she opened the door around the time the shots were fired then the officer/s probably didn't see anyone behind the target.

Didn't one article say the lady saw him through the window with a bat heading towards the police?

The son could have been outside in front of the entrance at that point, the lady could have opened the door when the police arrived which put her right behind him when shots were fired.

If she opened the door around the time the shots were fired then the officer/s probably didn't see anyone behind the target.

When the father called Jones to warn her to only open door for the police,Jones told the father she saw his son outside with the bat. The police probably were not there yet. Nothing was said by Jones about son heading toward police with bat.
So if he is outside with bat and she is downstairs,how is it he 'charged down the stairs" unless he went back up and came down later after police arrived.
If he were charging down the stairs when shot that would make him above Jones who was downstairs. IMO
I think they shot the son and swung around and shot Jones due to the movement when she opened the door. IMO

That is why some of us have "no police in a crisis" house rules. Call them AFTER the crisis has been resolved if need be but not during.

I live with several dogs and have made it very clear to family members that they had better not EVER call the police to my house for any reason. I recently broke off all contact with a family member that threatened to have a "wellness check" done if I didn't respond to emails; they threatened to violate that rule and I won't risk it.

If you call them to stop a violent potentially deadly threat there is a good chance they will kill that threat when they arrive (along with any pet dogs in the home).

The man that called 911 was so afraid he locked himself in a room, he knew this might happen and he chose to make that call.

So we should abolish the police get weapons and deal with crimes ourselves like the old days.More and more I think that might be a good plan.
The father was hiding from his son. He called the police for help.
I bet he regrets that now. IMO

So this father called police and locked himself in the bathroom because he was afraid of his son. Then he calls a lawyer because his violent, mentally ill son, who he was afraid of, was killed by the cops.

rsbm

Sure, why not? You can't think that he called the cops so that they could kill his son, can you?

On the other hand, perhaps that's the new reality that we all have to face: calling the cops means that you or someone else has a significant chance of being killed by them.

I googled 'dog shot by police' recently with regard to a specific case. Wow -- I simply could not believe how often that happens. As a fellow dog lover, I urge you not to google that -- it's disgusting. Often LEOs have been found to be laughing and joking when they kill dogs.

"calling the cops means that you or someone else has a significant chance of being killed by them"

Calling the cops means that you or someone else have an extremely remote chance of being killed by them, unless you are calling them because someone is acting threatening or violently and then the chance of someone being killed is only very remote. It takes only the slightest of efforts to prove this is true.

I was picturing steps at the side of the house which would have put the son above Jones as he was "charging down"
This video shows that the steps led from the door of Jones so I can see how she was behind the son when she opened the door.
So he must have "charged down" these very few steps (sarcasm) and was shot and Jones was hit because she was behind him.

[video=cnn;us/2015/12/27/chicago-police-shooting-paul-pkg.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/27/us/chicago-police-shooting/index.html[/video]

rsbm

Sure, why not? You can't think that he called the cops so that they could kill his son, can you?

On the other hand, perhaps that's the new reality that we all have to face: calling the cops means that you or someone else has a significant chance of being killed by them.

Even pets.

Eta: reading in the wrong direction again. Sorry.

I'm not so sure I believe he was charging down the stairs and if he were why is it unheard of LE to retreat or step back a bit.
Sounds to me as though they shot anything that moved. IMO

it isnt "unheard of", in fact it happens all the time, but that doesnt make headlines...

"calling the cops means that you or someone else has a significant chance of being killed by them"

Calling the cops means that you or someone else have an extremely remote chance of being killed by them, unless you are calling them because someone is acting threatening or violently and then the chance of someone being killed is only very remote. It takes only the slightest of efforts to prove this is true.

It shouldn't matter what the chances are. We shouldn't have to even consider "Will calling the police result in the death of my loved one?" It doesn't just happen to people who are violent and threatening.

Significant, in the statistical sense, does not necessarily mean 'high'.

Many people are afraid of serial killers, but police kill between 5 to 20 times as many people per year.

Source: http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Serial Killer Information Center/Serial Killer Statistics.pdf

Is it me, or does someone say at the .33 second mark of this youtube audio portion of call '2 shots fired'. It sounds like someone at the scene telling dispatch that 2 shots were fired.

[video=youtube;xIuzlWZp-Vw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIuzlWZp-Vw[/video]

It has been reported that Quintonio was shot 7 times, Ms Jones an unknown number at this time.

She said her son was shot seven times by police.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Police-Involved-Shooting-Leaves-Two-Dead-Family-363547691.html

The only thing I will call the police for is an active shooter. Calling them for anything less then that, is way too risky. For me and for who ever else might be around. I think a lot more people are starting to realize that it is not safe to call the police. And those who don’t realize that, will have to find out the hard way I guess.

Is it me, or does someone say at the .33 second mark of this youtube audio portion of call '2 shots fired'. It sounds like someone at the scene telling dispatch that 2 shots were fired.

[video=youtube;xIuzlWZp-Vw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIuzlWZp-Vw[/video]

It has been reported that Quintonio was shot 7 times, Ms Jones an unknown number at this time.

She said her son was shot seven times by police.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Police-Involved-Shooting-Leaves-Two-Dead-Family-363547691.html

It sounded like "shots fired three shots fired" to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back