Child Neglect Charges Dropped 10/21/08

It was expected they would drop the Neglect charges with the others in place. The Identity Theft and Fraud charges will stay, imo. It is a separate case.

This is going to drag out which I don't understand. It works against the defense because it allows LE and TES more time to find the body and further evidence before trial. Then again...look who is calling the shots here. His strategy seems to be to let LE collect all the evidence and they will just shoot in the dark from the hip to defend Casey.

Do you know how long Baez has to file for a "speedy trial"? I've been wondering what the time limit is for that. And does the time start from the date of arraignment, from the date of arrest or the date of the pleading?

JB cannot do the speedy trial motion. That is the equivalent of certifying to the Court that he is absolutely ready for trial.

Considering the defense team is somewhat mid-assembly, they are not ready for trial and it would be an idiotic motion, even for JB:rolleyes:

Without the motion, the state has 175 days and that clock is ticking.
:clock::blowkiss:

ITA I doubt JB is anywhere near ready for trial. How will one defend her lies & behavior. I wonder if he will be able to keep the pictures out b/c it hurts the case so much. Could the prosecution argue "state of mind" or something like that to keep them in? It's a catch 22 for JB, he isn't ready, still putting together his team but it does allow more time for the body to be found. I hope TES finds Caylee when they come back.

I honestly don't have a clue what angle the defense is going to go for here either. If we didn't have all of the interviews of casey blatently lying to police, I think they'd have a better shot. The lying interviews just makes it seem like she knows exactly what happened to the baby and is purposefully making up a story to cover her butt. She would have been better if she just kept quiet from day one.

They might just try to prove "reasonable doubt" saying there's a possibility someone else did it. Like, "Cindy was the last person to be seen with Caylee..." - but I don't think that'll work because of Cindy's 911 calls where you can tell she really didn't know what was going on.

The 31 days is going to bury Casey. literally perhaps

I really wasn't sure where to post this (what thread) -

Will we see new info released in document dumps for the murder charge the same way we did for the neglect charges?

You know, I've been trying like hell to put myself in a defense attorney's shoes with this case. I seriously have NO IDEA what the defense could possibly be?! :waitasec:

If the State did indeed have the forensics tested three times at three different labs that blows poking holes in that. How can anyone resonably doubt evidence tested three times in as many labs all with the same result?

If they tried to say she sold Caylee that is human trafficking. Felony offense.

If they say she gave her to someone why would the person/s not give the child back? Not to mention that Casey and the family said Caylee is in danger and Casey saying she was kidnapped.

As you can all see, any defense I try to come up with I can, not so much shoot holes, as demolish, the entire senerio. Even the defense attorney's on the news networks have said the only defense, and the one they would use, is to attack the evidence. I can't see that as a possibility, and that's only with what we DO know. Not even coming close to what OCSD must have that we DON'T know about, kwim?

Any thoughts?

I think it will be as simple as reasonable doubt..and I really think Casey will say she wasnt the last one to see Caylee..her mother was..jmo..

I think it will be as simple as reasonable doubt..and I really think Casey will say she wasnt the last one to see Caylee..her mother was..jmo..

Then CA and GA will be rumbling.

It says the state dropped the charges because neglect is directly related to the child being alive. In this case the state clearly believes that Caylee is not alive, so they have to stand behind the GJ's finding that Casey murdered Caylee.

As for the fraud charges, I imagine that would go ahead as scheduled.

Why Baez isn't filing for a speedy trial has me confused. Why give the state anymore time, unless he doesn't want to make that decision until his team is fully in place. He won't be lead, so that may have something to do with it.

I am not very "law" savvy, but I thought I heard that Baez couldn't represent her on capital charges because he doesn't have the required experience for that. So with that being said, Wouldn't he be unable to file for a speedy trail on those charges? :waitasec:

I am not very "law" savvy, but I thought I heard that Baez couldn't represent her on capital charges because he doesn't have the required experience for that. So with that being said, Wouldn't he be unable to file for a speedy trail on those charges? :waitasec:

He has a "team" of lawyers one of which we know is death penalty qualified.

I honestly don't have a clue what angle the defense is going to go for here either. If we didn't have all of the interviews of casey blatently lying to police, I think they'd have a better shot. The lying interviews just makes it seem like she knows exactly what happened to the baby and is purposefully making up a story to cover her butt. She would have been better if she just kept quiet from day one.

They might just try to prove "reasonable doubt" saying there's a possibility someone else did it. Like, "Cindy was the last person to be seen with Caylee..." - but I don't think that'll work because of Cindy's 911 calls where you can tell she really didn't know what was going on.

The 31 days is going to bury Casey. literally perhaps

IMO unless a body is found, her defense will center around the fact that they still insist she is alive, circumstantial evidence or not.

Could she possibly use post partum depression as a defense? She was obviously young and depending on who you believe wanted to put Caylee up for adoption....

We've seen it with Andrea Yates and such...

Thoughts?

While I do agree that JB is in way over his head, I think that calling him "a joke" is pretty harsh.

JB is "inexperienced" "unprepared for this magnitude" "drowning" "overwhelmed" "unseasoned" "ineloquent" and so on and on and on...

I actually feel extremely sorry for him because he repeatedly makes a fool of himself. One thing that I have have learned the hard way is to know my own limitations and tread carefully whenever going above and beyond my abilities. I think that by the time this is said and done he will have also learned that lesson the hard way.

IMO unless a body is found, her defense will center around the fact that they still insist she is alive, circumstantial evidence or not.

ITA, because the Defense is more likely to find people in the Jury who either want to believe or do believe that Caylee is alive and well, despite science. A Defense of optimism and hope, in line with CA and her foundation.

If remains are found then KC *could* recant the story about the Nanny with a claim that she was just trying to protect a family member who last had Caylee. I suppose.

It gets tougher if there is strong evidence of death since KC dug such a big hole. The web of lies and actions.

The defense will be "reasonable doubt".
Minus a body, the first doubt will be about the forensic evidence to determine she is dead. With a body it will be doubt about how it happened, who did it & when.
Heck either way they'll spend two weeks alone in the trial on the "chain of custody" of that car from the time it was picked up from Amscot until July 15th when George retrieved it.

The plan will be a "throw it at the wall & see what sticks" kind of defense.

It was expected they would drop the Neglect charges with the others in place. The Identity Theft and Fraud charges will stay, imo. It is a separate case.

This is going to drag out which I don't understand. It works against the defense because it allows LE and TES more time to find the body and further evidence before trial. Then again...look who is calling the shots here. His strategy seems to be to let LE collect all the evidence and they will just shoot in the dark from the hip to defend Casey.

spaghetti defense?

Could she possibly use post partum depression as a defense? She was obviously young and depending on who you believe wanted to put Caylee up for adoption....

We've seen it with Andrea Yates and such...

Thoughts?

From my understanding of PPD normally only lasts for ABOUT 6 months after giving birth. I think 2 3/4 years would be pushing it. In this case it would be 5 times longer than the norm.

You know, I've been trying like hell to put myself in a defense attorney's shoes with this case. I seriously have NO IDEA what the defense could possibly be?! :waitasec:

If the State did indeed have the forensics tested three times at three different labs that blows poking holes in that. How can anyone resonably doubt evidence tested three times in as many labs all with the same result?

If they tried to say she sold Caylee that is human trafficking. Felony offense.

If they say she gave her to someone why would the person/s not give the child back? Not to mention that Casey and the family said Caylee is in danger and Casey saying she was kidnapped.

As you can all see, any defense I try to come up with I can, not so much shoot holes, as demolish, the entire senerio. Even the defense attorney's on the news networks have said the only defense, and the one they would use, is to attack the evidence. I can't see that as a possibility, and that's only with what we DO know. Not even coming close to what OCSD must have that we DON'T know about, kwim?

Any thoughts?
Yes, I have an idea what they could use, but i will not post it as I do not want to give them any ideas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back