China - Ani Ashekian, 31, Hong Kong, 11 Nov 2008 - Canadian tourist

My suitcase went back and forth with me in the car provided by the sponsoring company. I never trust the hotels, even the Swissotel (which I consider the best) have hookers knocking on your door at 10:00 pm. I avoid getting woken up by putting the do not disturb sign on the know and my keycard in the slot that turns the do not disturb light on outside the room. I have a clear understanding that anything that I leave in my room is gone through carefully, everything I say is in meetings is evaluated and my actions are watched. I went to the forbidden gardens for the tour, some folks in the crowd wanted to have their picture taken with me, but plain cloths men moved in and drove the people away. Happened again when I was at the Jade Buddha Temple, so I know they watch. All companies are 51% owned by the Chinese government so at least one person in daily meetings works for the government. I have no illusion of privacy.

My suitcase went back and forth with me in the car provided by the sponsoring company. I never trust the hotels, even the Swissotel (which I consider the best) have hookers knocking on your door at 10:00 pm. I avoid getting woken up by putting the do not disturb sign on the know and my keycard in the slot that turns the do not disturb light on outside the room. I have a clear understanding that anything that I leave in my room is gone through carefully, everything I say is in meetings is evaluated and my actions are watched. I went to the forbidden gardens for the tour, some folks in the crowd wanted to have their picture taken with me, but plain cloths men moved in and drove the people away. Happened again when I was at the Jade Buddha Temple, so I know they watch. All companies are 51% owned by the Chinese government so at least one person in daily meetings works for the government. I have no illusion of privacy.

Very interesting....
Nice to have insight from someone who has been to the area.

Very interesting....
Nice to have insight from someone who has been to the area.
I have lived in HK and it is nothing like that. Mainland China may have been, but I have three friends who have been living in China for years and they do not find it like that.
Having said that though, there is no way that I would ever stay in Chungking Mansions (what a misnomer) though, male or female. Just the sight of it is enough to stay away from. It is like a rabbit warren.

I have lived in HK and it is nothing like that. Mainland China may have been, but I have three friends who have been living in China for years and they do not find it like that.
Having said that though, there is no way that I would ever stay in Chungking Mansions (what a misnomer) though, male or female. Just the sight of it is enough to stay away from. It is like a rabbit warren.
I appreciate this insight!

Two potential scenario's. She became ill and was put into a hospital and expired. She committed a crime (even unwittingly) and was tossed into a mudhole prison and is still there or expired. In both cases the government does not feel obliged to inform the applicable Embassy. That's why it is important to let your Embassy know you are in country and for how long when you travel to a foreign country.

I forgot about this case, so thank you to those who have posted over the last few years.
Where is Ani?

I have stayed in a guesthouse in Chinking mansions myself when I was travelling around Asia. There are lots of guesthouses and hostel in the huge rabbit warren buildings and also offices for cheap visas and other things like that. The ground floor is like a huge cheap electronics shop. I did however notice that a lot of African men were always hanging about outside the main entrance and downstairs. They didn't bother me, but I found it unusual in Hong Kong.

I don't know what she was doing in Causeway Bay across the water, apart from using an ATM. It would've taken 2 metro rides totalling about 25 mins to get there....or 9 minutes in a taxi, which she probably didn't use and HK taxis are expensive. (Plus the ATM was in a metro station, so it follows she got there by metro.)

She could've easily been drugged/kidnapped and taken out in a large bag or box and no-one would've batted an eyelid. Lots of people are moving things in an out all the time, and there are many different elevators and stair wells.

Interestingly enough, there are many rural parts of Hong Kong, towards the north-east of the country.. green, forested and nearly mountainous, where you won't see a soul. She could've even been taken out there and put into the sea....horrid thought but sadly, it has to be said.

Photo of a rural area Hong Kong below and also a Google screenshot of the distance from Chung King Mansions building in Tsim Sha Tsui to Causeway Bay on Hong Kong Island.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230930-165136~2.png
    Screenshot_20230930-165136~2.png
    419.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230930-170258~2.png
    Screenshot_20230930-170258~2.png
    957.7 KB · Views: 0

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors