Chris Hyndman of Steven and Chris has died

BBM: Can you explain what you mean by "openly gay little twink"? Being gay doesn't "get old as you hit 50". Being gay is part of who a person is. Gay people deal with aging just like the rest of society.

He used the slang term "twink", so I think that's what he means about the issue of aging as a gay man.
Frankly, this is yet another example of attempting to jump into Hyndman's head and coming up with thoughts and theories for which there is no basis.

After Hyndman's mother spoke out about her son's sleepwalking problems, I read many news stories and first hand accounts about some rare and extreme things that people have done while sleepwalking. After reading these accounts I don't think it is a stretch to believe he could have sleepwalked off the building, however, it is a stretch to believe he committed suicide because he feared getting older.

I really don't think you understand what goes on with people with that kind of Problem. People deal with stress differently. Some become reclusive, some run away, some just fight on, and some contemplate ending their own life. Most people have had some sort of extreme stress in their life, and the vast majority of them don't think of suicide. Just because Chris conquered his fears of being gay, doesn't mean that he hadn't come up with another stress that would cause those suicidal thoughts to flair up again. The most common problem with people his age is simply not being able to transition in to old age gracefully. <modsnip> The fact that he seemed to have had work done to change his appearance is another sigh of someone who is not happy in their own skin.

Sorry if you all feel cheated, but these things happen.. often.

I see zero evidence that he had ' a hard time finding a place for himself to fit in. ' He had a fabulous life going on. A successful career which he obviously delighted in. A nice home that he loved with his long time partner. He had a lot of friends , a very supportive family and a lot of fans. I see no reason to believe he hd a hard time fitting in.

Having 'work done' is almost required in the entertainment business. It would be strange if he didn't , imo. It does not mean he was not happy in his own skin. It might just mean that he wanted to keep looking good on camera.

Who feels cheated?

He used the slang term "twink", so I think that's what he means about the issue of aging as a gay man.
Frankly, this is yet another example of attempting to jump into Hyndman's head and coming up with thoughts and theories for which there is no basis.

After Hyndman's mother spoke out about her son's sleepwalking problems, I read many news stories and first hand accounts about some rare and extreme things that people have done while sleepwalking. After reading these accounts I don't think it is a stretch to believe he could have sleepwalked off the building, however, it is a stretch to believe he committed suicide because he feared getting older.

If he had fallen off that balcony while sleep walking, don't you think his family and friends would all be speaking publicly about what a tragedy this was and warning people about the dangers of sleepwalking and heights? That comment from his mother came very early on, before she got to Toronto, and she has not repeated it. Everybody connected to Hyndman has done the same thing, make an initial statement about how it was a shocking tragedy, then shut up and went on with their lives.

For some reason people just don't want to believe the obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason people just don't want to believe the obvious.

IMO, nothing is obvious as we were not even given the cause of death. The fact that he was found below his penthouse suite may only be coincidental. I'm not trying to grasp at straws, just saying... All we have to go on is that no foul play was suspected.

IMO, nothing is obvious as we were not even given the cause of death. The fact that he was found below his penthouse suite may only be coincidental. I'm not trying to grasp at straws, just saying... All we have to go on is that no foul play was suspected.

Not true. His mother confirmed that he went over the railing. The fact the police immediately didn't suggest foul play leads me to believe that there was probably a note left as well.

Not true. His mother confirmed that he went over the railing. The fact the police immediately didn't suggest foul play leads me to believe that there was probably a note left as well.

I wasn't aware his mother actually 'confirmed' anything. Nonetheless, excellent point about the note. It might help explain how this case, for all intents and purposes, was open and closed on the same day with very little said.

I wasn't aware his mother actually 'confirmed' anything. Nonetheless, excellent point about the note. It might help explain how this case, for all intents and purposes, was open and closed on the same day with very little said.

When authorities and people involved are silent, its usually pretty easy to read between the lines. When suicide struck my family I was initially quite open about it, sending a letter to my co-workers explaining the situation. After that it took several years to really speak about it again. I'd assume that one day Steven will write a memoir and he'll tell what happened. Until then people can believe what they'd like, but the clues are definitely there.

When authorities and people involved are silent, its usually pretty easy to read between the lines. When suicide struck my family I was initially quite open about it, sending a letter to my co-workers explaining the situation. After that it took several years to really speak about it again. I'd assume that one day Steven will write a memoir and he'll tell what happened. Until then people can believe what they'd like, but the clues are definitely there.

Clues are there, and I wouldn't be surprised by suicide.

It's just that an alternative, arguably equally plausible, explanation for Hyndman's actions is also out there as well.

Could there be revelations that Hyndman was depressed and suicidal in the coming years, facts hidden by those closest to him? Sure. Do we actually know that these revelations exist, or are we just guessing that they must exist since we now what happened?

I feel like these arguments using statistics are a little off. If one is going to argue that it was statisticly unlikely that he jumped on purpose, how can you argue it's more likely sleepwalking? That's so rare I bet there aren't even stats on that. IMO it's suicide - far more likely than sleepwalking and I absolutely agree with whoever said if it were sleepwalking there would be a public statement to warn others etc.

JMO I'm not sure it would be possible to reliably distinguish between sleepwalking and suicide in a death investigation in all the cases. If there was a note or toxicology findings, they might turn the scales. But the injuries in a fall could presumably look rather similar regardless of what the motive or reason for the falling was. If the person was known to be a regular sleepwalker or suicidal it might make one option more likely, but sleepwalkers can commit suicide and suicidal people can die accidentally so there might always be a degree of uncertainty.

I feel like these arguments using statistics are a little off. If one is going to argue that it was statisticly unlikely that he jumped on purpose, how can you argue it's more likely sleepwalking? That's so rare I bet there aren't even stats on that. IMO it's suicide - far more likely than sleepwalking and I absolutely agree with whoever said if it were sleepwalking there would be a public statement to warn others etc.

I wouldn't say it was more likely. I would say that it is a possibility that cannot be excluded.

Hyndman said that he had significant difficulties with his sleep, his mother amplifying these to say that he did complex tasks while he was asleep. For most people, I'd say that suicide would be substantially more likely than misadventure while sleepwalking. For Hyndman, though, misadventure while sleepwalking actually does seem possible.

JMO I'm not sure it would be possible to reliably distinguish between sleepwalking and suicide in a death investigation in all the cases. If there was a note or toxicology findings, they might turn the scales. But the injuries in a fall could presumably look rather similar regardless of what the motive or reason for the falling was. If the person was known to be a regular sleepwalker or suicidal it might make one option more likely, but sleepwalkers can commit suicide and suicidal people can die accidentally so there might always be a degree of uncertainty.

IMO, if the physical evidence of him in sleepwear was present, it would have been made public. It would have been in everyone's best interest to do so. However, I am almost certain there was a note and that is the reason they were able to determine no foul play right then and there (and the reason no more has been said).

IMO, if the physical evidence of him in sleepwear was present, it would have been made public. It would have been in everyone's best interest to do so. However, I am almost certain there was a note and that is the reason they were able to determine no foul play right then and there (and the reason no more has been said).

Exactly this. Then you have Jeanie Beker saying basically "I'm shocked, Chris was the one that helped me through my depression". There are plenty of little hints here, you just have to look for them. The whole sleepwalking thing was just his mom looking for an explanation. If it had been Steven saying it, I'd take it a little more seriously, but we haven't heard anything more than that initial comment. That says dead end to me.

If there was a note the police would have told his spouse and his parents. Police Officers are not in the business of keeping suicide a secret from the immediate family and spouse.
There are also video cameras in that area and around the building. Whether they captured anything, the public doesn't know and doesn't need to know (or see).

IMO you are choosing to interpret the statements that Beker made about Hyndman, as her focusing on "depression." When I listened to and read her statements, she wasn't making any hidden reference to depression, she was merely expressing how shocked she was at his death, what a great friend and confidante he'd been to her, how he had helped her through one of the most difficult times of her life. IMO she was conveying what a great and dear friend he'd been to her and how grateful she was for the help and support he'd given to her in the past. I don't see any "hints" of anything here. And frankly I'm not even sure why people are still arguing over whether he died by suicide or an accidental fall due to sleepwalking. IMO let's show some respect for the man and his partner and his Mother and family. Why does it matter to you if it had been suicide? Let the man RIP.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/chris-hyndman-saved-my-life-says-friend-jeanne-beker-1.3179773

Exactly this. Then you have Jeanie Beker saying basically "I'm shocked, Chris was the one that helped me through my depression". There are plenty of little hints here, you just have to look for them. The whole sleepwalking thing was just his mom looking for an explanation. If it had been Steven saying it, I'd take it a little more seriously, but we haven't heard anything more than that initial comment. That says dead end to me.

Why does it matter to you if it had been suicide? Let the man RIP.

In that case, why does any cause of death matter to the public? Any other cause of death would have been reported, but in this case the silence surrounding suicide chalks up yet another one to shame and stigma, much to the dismay of everyone else who have also lost loved ones this way.

IMO, it's less about RIP for those gone and more about LIP (Living) for survivors.

IMO you are choosing to interpret the statements that Beker made about Hyndman, as her focusing on "depression." When I listened to and read her statements, she wasn't making any hidden reference to depression, she was merely expressing how shocked she was at his death, what a great friend and confidante he'd been to her, how he had helped her through one of the most difficult times of her life. IMO she was conveying what a great and dear friend he'd been to her and how grateful she was for the help and support he'd given to her in the past. I don't see any "hints" of anything here. And frankly I'm not even sure why people are still arguing over whether he died by suicide or an accidental fall due to sleepwalking. IMO let's show some respect for the man and his partner and his Mother and family. Why does it matter to you if it had been suicide? Let the man RIP.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/chris-hyndman-saved-my-life-says-friend-jeanne-beker-1.3179773

You have your opinion, I have mine. I think its beyond odd that Becker's first recollection would be her own depressive turmoil.... Unless she knew that his death was due to depression. Otherwise it makes little sense to bring it up. They were friends, they obviously had many good times together. Does she talk about the good times at the lake, the outrageous parties, traveling around the world together or great times at the theatre? No, she talks about her own depression. Becker is a professional, no stranger to being quick on her feet. She chose that story because it was poignant and related to the events. I'll guarantee that. You can take the woman out of the newsroom but you can't take the newsroom out of the woman.

As far as continuing to seek truth about what happened, Bronson gives a very good response below, but also, the last time I checked this site is called webslueths.

If there was a note the police would have told his spouse and his parents. Police Officers are not in the business of keeping suicide a secret from the immediate family and spouse.
There are also video cameras in that area and around the building. Whether they captured anything, the public doesn't know and doesn't need to know (or see).

You are wrong. I'f there was a note, the only person LE would have notified would be Steven. It would have been his responsibility to tell (or not tell) the mother. In some cases there are multiple notes made out to different people. Its quite possible that when Steven called the mother he simply didn't want to go in to detail as he wanted to do it in person. Id say the mother had very little info at that point and grasped at the sleepwalking idea when she was contacted by the media. When she got to Toronto what happened was made clear to her and the sleepwalking idea died. Simple as that.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I think its beyond odd that Becker's first recollection would be her own depressive turmoil.... Unless she knew that his death was due to depression. Otherwise it makes little sense to bring it up. They were friends, they obviously had many good times together. Does she talk about the good times at the lake, the outrageous parties, traveling around the world together or great times at the theatre? No, she talks about her own depression. Becker is a professional, no stranger to being quick on her feet. She chose that story because it was poignant and related to the events. I'll guarantee that. You can take the woman out of the newsroom but you can't take the newsroom out of the woman.

maybe it was the memory she appreciated most... and far more important than any outrageous party or great time at the theater?

(modsnip)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back